NASA: Triumph and Tragedy

Lazarus

• Replies 201
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Watched it on iPlayer last night. Found myself getting quite angry when after accidents they were talking about how a lot of people wanted to see the space programme shut down.

Aye I watch both this weeks and last weeks.

They need to show that programme about the Challenger disaster again which focused on the bloke who repeatedly told NASA and Thiokol that the O rings would fail on the boosters and there'd be an explosion. They were totally inept - had it happened today they'd surely be up on corporate manslaughter.

Sickening that both Challenger and Columbia tragedies can be blamed on poor managerial decisions that were both totally avoidable.

Watched it on iPlayer last night. Found myself getting quite angry when after accidents they were talking about how a lot of people wanted to see the space programme shut down.

Why Obama will never get to Mars, too much $$$'s. :lol:

Sickening that both Challenger and Columbia tragedies can be blamed on poor managerial decisions that were both totally avoidable.

They've proved that in the Columbia incident, they could have rescued the crew and brought them back. They were well aware there'd been a foam strike and they were well aware that it could have caused enough damage to render the craft useless for re-entry.

Looking at the dangers and subsequent tragedies of the Shuttle missions, it makes the Apollo project all the more incredible/unbelievable, given the relative simplicity of orbiting the Earth in comparison to successfully getting a man to the moon and back in the 1960's.

Staggering what they achieved on Apollo 8 tbh. They'd never flown a man (or any other living being for that matter) outside of earth orbit yet they decided to send three men to the moon's orbit and back again. The percentage increase in all factors was unreal.

Looking at the dangers and subsequent tragedies of the Shuttle missions, it makes the Apollo project all the more incredible/unbelievable, given the relative simplicity of orbiting the Earth in comparison to successfully getting a man to the moon and back in the 1960's.

We'll be lucky to be back there this century. :lol:

I agree Challenger was entirley avoidable but I'm not sure about Colombia, which I think requires a degree of hindsight. Even if they had completed a spacewalk and detected the damage, I am not sure what they could have done about it. Repair was not possible, could they have feasibly launched a rescue ship or docked with the International Space Station? Iirc at the time they were stated as not being options, so the crew were doomed in any case.

What's the triumph part here exactly?

Hoaxing everyone successfully that they got to the moon? :lol:

Seriously aren't they still pissing about with a rocket designed during WW2? ;)

Guest alex

Looked great but what a waste of money going back (or indeed trying to get to Mars) would be. They're just lifeless rocks. It's not like the money couldn't be better spent. Just my two Earth cents.

Edited by alex

We'll be lucky to be back there this century. ;)

Looked great but what a waste of money going back (or indeed trying to get to Mars) would be. They're just lifeless rocks. It's not like the monet couldn't be better spent. Just my two Earth cents.

But David Bowie needs to go home. :lol:

Guest alex

Looked great but what a waste of money going back (or indeed trying to get to Mars) would be. They're just lifeless rocks. It's not like the monet couldn't be better spent. Just my two Earth cents.

But David Bowie needs to go home. :lol:

He needed to stop making records in the 70s.

It is the future of everything, though.

It is "too expensive" and yet equally how can it be "too expensive"?

It is the future of everything, though.

It is "too expensive" and yet equally how can it be "too expensive"?

Get the aliens to take us there. :lol:

For things like exploring other planets you would think that we could overlook 'money'. If an asteroid was hurtling towards Earth you could be sure money wouldnt even come into it, governments literally print their own money anyway, just print a bit more :lol:

I've never bought this 'it's a waste of money, we could feed the whole world instead' line. They strike me as completely independent things, I don't understand how the very limited resources space travel requires (in a material and global sense) should impact on us doing other stuff. If we have to cut back on something to allow it, let's cut back on defence.

Ultimately you'd have to reason that the human race will have to leave the Earth and spread, it's hardwired into us, and the planet has a finite life. We should feel privileged to be part of the first generations who have travelled in space. I'd love it if we reached Mars in my lifetime.

Do you seriously think these buffoons can put men on Mars?? ;)

I think they crashed the first 29 probes or summat....

This has been done a million times before Parky. What it boils down to is that if you believe the moon landings were a conspiracy you're basically a retard. :lol:

Guest alex
I've never bought this 'it's a waste of money, we could feed the whole world instead' line. They strike me as completely independent things, I don't understand how the very limited resources space travel requires (in a material and global sense) should impact on us doing other stuff. If we have to cut back on something to allow it, let's cut back on defence.

Ultimately you'd have to reason that the human race will have to leave the Earth and spread, it's hardwired into us, and the planet has a finite life. We should feel privileged to be part of the first generations who have travelled in space. I'd love it if we reached Mars in my lifetime.

I think we spend too much on defence but unless all the world is suddenly going to change the way in which humans have always behaved it's infinitely more necessary than exploring the planets imo.