The Mighty Wigan

Rob W

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't know about anybody else, but I was never that arsed back then if we conceeded one as you always felt we could hit 3 or 4 easy. How times have changed...

54497[/snapback]

True. And it was the same as little as three seasons ago.

We had bouncebackability.

I don't know about anybody else, but I was never that arsed back then if we conceeded one as you always felt we could hit 3 or 4 easy. How times have changed...

54497[/snapback]

True. And it was the same as little as three seasons ago.

We had bouncebackability.

54498[/snapback]

we sure as hell did :naughty:

54497[/snapback]

Agree with that - what I was arsed about was when we scored 3 and let 4 in.....

I think you can quite easily compare them to what we did when we came up, no Jewell isn't someone with the reputation of Keegan, but he's got some hellish good backing from his chairman money wise. If this season goes well, then maybe he can start attracting bigger names to play there. The man is a good manager in my opinion, someone I'd have liked to have here when Robson left.

Only real problem is that the town isn't a traditional football town, they'll all go to watch the rugby instead.

Then again quite often a club comes up and makes a canny fist of their first season, and then it gans all to pot in the second term, when their good players are sanfled by bigger boys, (e.g. Ipswich). We'll no doubt see in the fullness of time which way it goes for them, best of luck to them

I think you can quite easily compare them to what we did when we came up, no Jewell isn't someone with the reputation of Keegan, but he's got some hellish good backing from his chairman money wise. If this season goes well, then maybe he can start attracting bigger names to play there.  The man is a good manager in my opinion, someone I'd have liked to have here when Robson left.

Only real problem is that the town isn't a traditional football town, they'll all go to watch the rugby instead.

Then again quite often a club comes up and makes a canny fist of their first season, and then it gans all to pot in the second term, when their good players are sanfled by bigger boys, (e.g. Ipswich). We'll no doubt see in the fullness of time which way it goes for them, best of luck to them

54504[/snapback]

I think your second paragraph is the most relevant, and why they are different to us. They have a very small support and no football history to talk of at all really. I doubt they will establish themselves in the EPL long-term, but you never know.

They are the same in as much as they surprised everyone how well they are doing, 12 months prior to our promotion we nearly went down to the old 3rd Division and were on the brink of being bankrupt.

Obviously things have vastly improved and Wigan are not on the same scale as us, but I find it refreshing that a team that is well coached and work hard can be high up in the Premiership.

Looking at there next half dozen fixtures the bubble could well burst, but so far so good and fair play to them.

54355[/snapback]

Fair enough, but I can't see them finishing 3rd like we did in our first season. Good luck to them though.

54375[/snapback]

I agree with you there, 3rd would be a tall order.

Thinking back to those days it makes me feel great inside, it was just a total joy to watch and it made you feel so proud.

This is how we started the 94-95 season:

Leicester 1 NUFC 3

NUFC 4 Coventry 0

NUFC 5 Southampton 1

West Ham 1 NUFC 3

NUFC 4 Chelsea 2

Arsenal 2 NUFC 3

NUFC 1 Liverpool 1

Villa 0 NUFC 2

25 goals in 8 games fanfu--ing tastic!!!!!!!

54426[/snapback]

and then Bilbao :P

54436[/snapback]

And finishing a disappointing 6th.....

But you're right. Those first 3 seasons in the PL were practically the best in living memory.

54478[/snapback]

Though, who cares about enjoying football. I've learnt a couple of days ago that these seasons were not good because in a couple of games Newcastle weren't able to defend a lead... :huh:

54487[/snapback]

Total manipulation of a point - no wonder you work in law Isegrim! :naughty:

54496[/snapback]

:yes

Though, I really found it hilarious how the Keegan times were used as a point why the performance against Birmingham was an indication for better times. :D

Are Wigan that different to us, when we came back up to the top flight?

I mean at the time we didn't have any real big names in the side apart from a 32 year old Beardsley, who many thought was past it.

Cole was developing a reputation but the rest of the team were playing above themselves fuelled by the crowd, team spirit and Keegan.

54290[/snapback]

Pardon, but how do you conclude the players were performing above themselves when we came back up? Many of the players Keegan signed, notably Venison, Beresford, Lee, Bracewell, Sellars and Beardsley were all top flight players already.

Who thought Beardsley was past it? I don't recall anybody believing anything other than this was a tremendous signing at the time it happened, I don't recall hearing anyone claiming it was a gamble because he was past it. Wasn't he banging in the goals the season before?

They are the same in as much as they surprised everyone how well they are doing, 12 months prior to our promotion we nearly went down to the old 3rd Division and were on the brink of being bankrupt.

Obviously things have vastly improved and Wigan are not on the same scale as us, but I find it refreshing that a team that is well coached and work hard can be high up in the Premiership.

Looking at there next half dozen fixtures the bubble could well burst, but so far so good and fair play to them.

54355[/snapback]

Fair enough, but I can't see them finishing 3rd like we did in our first season. Good luck to them though.

54375[/snapback]

I agree with you there, 3rd would be a tall order.

Thinking back to those days it makes me feel great inside, it was just a total joy to watch and it made you feel so proud.

This is how we started the 94-95 season:

Leicester 1 NUFC 3

NUFC 4 Coventry 0

NUFC 5 Southampton 1

West Ham 1 NUFC 3

NUFC 4 Chelsea 2

Arsenal 2 NUFC 3

NUFC 1 Liverpool 1

Villa 0 NUFC 2

25 goals in 8 games fanfu--ing tastic!!!!!!!

54426[/snapback]

and then Bilbao :D

54436[/snapback]

And finishing a disappointing 6th.....

But you're right. Those first 3 seasons in the PL were practically the best in living memory.

54478[/snapback]

Though, who cares about enjoying football. I've learnt a couple of days ago that these seasons were not good because in a couple of games Newcastle weren't able to defend a lead... :huh:

54487[/snapback]

Total manipulation of a point - no wonder you work in law Isegrim! :naughty:

54496[/snapback]

He made a perfectly valid point from what I've understood of posts in recent days.

They're due a pasting tbh and I don't expect them to finish in the top 6.

53122[/snapback]

Sima what sort of shite is that?

They are where they are on the table because they deserve it. They play football as a team, they aren't dependent on a Rooney or Owen to win their games for them and they actually play good team football. None of this sit back and defend for their lives stuff.

The last team that was due a pasting was a certain 2004 Euro cup winning team (yes, yes I know they are shit now) and at least Wigan are going after it from the off and not trying to win it on the counter attack.

53251[/snapback]

Where have I said they don't deserve it?

They have grafted a hell of a lot to be where they are and I am a great believer that you make your own luck. It's just that one day theirs is going to run out and they'll be on the wrong end of a hiding. It's going to happen, by whom I don't know, but it will.

They could have so easily been beat 3-1 by us had we had an as generous referee on our side as he was on theirs.

Who thought Beardsley was past it? I don't recall anybody believing anything other than this was a tremendous signing at the time it happened, I don't recall hearing anyone claiming it was a gamble because he was past it. Wasn't he banging in the goals the season before?

54573[/snapback]

Sir John Hall did actually....

KK had to tell him that Pedro was about to sign for Sunderland before he'd agree to the move. Don't think 'past it' was the issue, I think SJH had reservations about forking out £1.5m on a 32 year old...

Who thought Beardsley was past it?

54573[/snapback]

Anal Oliver, sort of. True story:

When Pedro was at Everton, Oliver tried to get an interview out of him regarding the speculation about him returning to the Toon. Out of respect for Everton fans, all he would say was 'no comment', despite his desire to return to the Toon. Being peeved at not getting his exclusive Oliver's headline on the back of the Chronic the next day was 'We Don't Need You Beardo' and the story suggested Beardsley wouldn't get a game for us anyway.

Who thought Beardsley was past it?

54573[/snapback]

Anal Oliver, sort of. True story:

When Pedro was at Everton, Oliver tried to get an interview out of him regarding the speculation about him returning to the Toon. Out of respect for Everton fans, all he would say was 'no comment', despite his desire to return to the Toon. Being peeved at not getting his exclusive Oliver's headline on the back of the Chronic the next day was 'We Don't Need You Beardo' and the story suggested Beardsley wouldn't get a game for us anyway.

54733[/snapback]

Sums the plonky bastard up tbh, no story, fuck it I'll just make one up.

Are Wigan that different to us, when we came back up to the top flight?

I mean at the time we didn't have any real big names in the side apart from a 32 year old Beardsley, who many thought was past it.

Cole was developing a reputation but the rest of the team were playing above themselves fuelled by the crowd, team spirit and Keegan.

54290[/snapback]

Pardon, but how do you conclude the players were performing above themselves when we came back up? Many of the players Keegan signed, notably Venison, Beresford, Lee, Bracewell, Sellars and Beardsley were all top flight players already.

54573[/snapback]

As has been pointed out Hall wasn't keen to sign Beardsley, thank god he did Beardsley was a revelation he is still my favourite player ever to play for the Toon and if anything he was better in his second spell at the club than his first.

Bracewell had overcome terrible knee problems and was doing a great job, when he was at Everton as a youngster he was fantastic and then the injuries put a downer on his career.

Lee was developing at the time of our promotion and obviously went on to be one of the best midfielders we have ever had at the club.

Beresford came to prominence in Portsmouths FA cup run when they beat Liverpool at Anfield, we gave him his chance in the top flight and he did a great job better going forward than defending but a class act.

Sellars was very under rated had a gem of a left foot and was a great passer of the ball.

Venison had dodgy hair and dress sense!!! oh and he could play a bit.

They were all top players that had been put together in the same team by Keegan and they gelled brilliantly, a little like Clough had done at Derby and Forrest with seasoned pros and new talent.

Fair enough maybe they were not playing above themselves but some of them certainly had a new lease of life.

Edited by BigAl

Bracewell had overcome terrible knee problems and was doing a great job, when he was at Everton as a youngster he was fantastic and then the injuries put a downer on his career.

54752[/snapback]

Caused by the animal that was William Whitehurst!

54752[/snapback]

54758[/snapback]

Superfan tbh :naughty:

54752[/snapback]

54758[/snapback]

54783[/snapback]

Was at the game where he maimed him - i'm surprised Bracewell ever played again!

54752[/snapback]

54758[/snapback]

54783[/snapback]

Was at the game where he maimed him - i'm surprised Bracewell ever played again!

54790[/snapback]

Superfan tbh :huh:

As has been mentioned, I think we had a better pedigree of first team when we came up, a fair bit of top flight experience in there. Add to that players like Rob Lee and Beresford who'd never played at the highest level but adapted like Ducks to bird flu. We also had a crowd who couldn't quite believe what they were seeing (I couldn't anyway) and so were the 12th man every home game. I think a lot of big clubs came to SJP that first season and shit themselves.

54752[/snapback]

54758[/snapback]

Superfan tbh :huh:

54783[/snapback]

54790[/snapback]

Superfan tbh :D

54796[/snapback]

:naughty:

:yes