So, Barclays Bank

Redheugh

Mr Moat is waiting to hear from Barclays to see if they will loan him the funds to buy the club.

The same bank are insisting on vastly reducing the clubs overdraft, which i assume is covered by Ashley.

Doesn't add up.

This reminds me of when Hall claimed how Barclays were going to close the club for the sake of £6m in about 1990 or 91 - firstly I don't believe a bank would be that stupid from a marketing pov and secondly surely "success" for the club is the best chance for the bank to recover or make money.

Becoming a hostage to the banks fills me with dread for the future, don't like sound of this one bit, that's if it's true of course.

Becoming a hostage to the banks fills me with dread for the future, don't like sound of this one bit, that's if it's true of course.

It seems strange that the Journal article this morning referred to "extensive player recruitment" if Moat succeeds - so what does he need a loan for then?

It seems strange that the Journal article this morning referred to "extensive player recruitment" if Moat succeeds - so what does he need a loan for then?

He might not need a loan, just their assurances that as a new owner he can continue with/transfer the current overdraft facility or something.

This reminds me of when Hall claimed how Barclays were going to close the club for the sake of £6m in about 1990 or 91 - firstly I don't believe a bank would be that stupid from a marketing pov and secondly surely "success" for the club is the best chance for the bank to recover or make money.

In my youth (well early career) I was responsible for the banking arrangements for British Gas Northern, as was, and dealt with the Barclays corporate bods day to day, who were also NUFC's bankers, they (Barclays centrally) definitely were going to pull the plug mid-80's (pre Halls) and it was only strong lobbying (panic) from the local Barclays business hierarchy that prevented it,(as in how many branches do you want burnt down etc) it was a VERY close run thing. I have no reason to doubt they'd have threatened the same in the 90's.

In my youth (well early career) I was responsible for the banking arrangements for British Gas Northern, as was, and dealt with the Barclays corporate bods day to day, who were also NUFC's bankers, they (Barclays centrally) definitely were going to pull the plug mid-80's (pre Halls) and it was only strong lobbying (panic) from the local Barclays business hierarchy that prevented it,(as in how many branches do you want burnt down etc) it was a VERY close run thing. I have no reason to doubt they'd have threatened the same in the 90's.

Interesting.

My thoughts at the time were that if the worst came to pass, we could have just done a Boro anyway - Hall's talk of the club ceasing to exist was bollocks imo.

Interesting.

My thoughts at the time were that if the worst came to pass, we could have just done a Boro anyway - Hall's talk of the club ceasing to exist was bollocks imo.

Agreed, the first incident though was before "Boro had done a Boro" and the fear was very real. I remember I couldn't get near my bloke's for a few days, which was highly unusual, only found out afterwards what it was all about. As you know, no internet or email in those days so no rumours/news to spread like wildfire etc. so no-one ever really knew about it.

Mr Moat is waiting to hear from Barclays to see if they will loan him the funds to buy the club.

The same bank are insisting on vastly reducing the clubs overdraft, which i assume is covered by Ashley.

Doesn't add up.

UNTIL THE DEBT IS REDUCED THE BANK WON'T SANCTION A DEAL IN THIS CLIMATE ESPECIALLY.

PERHAPS THIS IS WHY A FEW PLAYERS ARE BEING SOLD ??

Doesn't add up.

UNTIL THE DEBT IS REDUCED THE BANK WON'T SANCTION A DEAL IN THIS CLIMATE ESPECIALLY.

PERHAPS THIS IS WHY A FEW PLAYERS ARE BEING SOLD ??

Oh great, you've found caps lock again!

Doesn't add up.

It never does with the banks

Our outfit was working for a company that had a longstanding arrangement with a big bank - last year (even tho they were profitable) the bank pulled the plug on the loan and forced them to put themselves on the market

The same bank then loaned MORE to another company to buy them................ sense? no

Big fees??? YES!!!!!!!