Man of the match

Christmas Tree

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have to agree with the scaley one Mr. Fish. Beyond the 3 goals(one of which was a penalty which he probably would not have taken if a hat-trick wasn't in sight) Ameobe was no better than he usually is which is NOT being the sharpest knife in the drawer.

Enrique looked comfortable on the ball, made some good runs forward, but unfortunately his finishing touch leaves a lot to be desired.

How can you even say something like 'Beyond the 3 goals' with a straight face when you're on about a striker? Dear me. It's a bit like saying 'Harper did nothing apart from making four world class saves'. Not that I agree with the assessment anyway since, as others have pointed out he could have had more. Also, if you had a clue you'd realise Shola has taken quite a few penalties for Newcastle, often under pressure, and to my knowledge, hasn't missed one for the first team.

Edited by alex

I have to agree with the scaley one Mr. Fish. Beyond the 3 goals(one of which was a penalty which he probably would not have taken if a hat-trick wasn't in sight) Ameobe was no better than he usually is which is NOT being the sharpest knife in the drawer.

Enrique looked comfortable on the ball, made some good runs forward, but unfortunately his finishing touch leaves a lot to be desired.

How can you even say something like 'Beyond the 3 goals' with a straight face when you're on about a striker? Dear me. It's a bit like saying 'Harper did nothing apart from making four world class saves'. Not that I agree with the assessment anyway since, as others have pointed out he could have had more. Also, if you had a clue you'd realise Shola has taken quite a few penalties for Newcastle, often under pressure, and to my knowledge, hasn't missed one for the first team.

He converted a penalty against the mackems in a high pressure situation to level a game, something that Shearer once failed to achieve.

Shola did exactly what he was paid to do 3 times within 90 minutes. Saying he did fuck all else is clueless - without him we'd have drawn the match, simple as.

Is it just my fading memory or did Colochini have a very good prolonged run in the premiership before it all went tits up.

shit from day one IMO. A lot of people were wax lyrical about him for about the first 3-4 months and I wondered if I was missing something. I can't recall one game where I've thought he's justified a £10m price tag. This man cost more than we paid for Woodgate and only £3m less than we sold him for. It's fucking criminal!

OK OK, I'm clueless, why can't I see that every minute he spends on the pitch in any game he looks like the natural born striker throughout?

Maybe my clueless and demented mind has been twisted and warped by all the negative things I read about him from other members and I should learn to judge his performence through my eyes. OH, my apologies for not knowing he has taken quite a few penalties. :icon_lol:

I don't think it's "clueless" to say Ameobi's overall play against Reading wasn't great. I don't think he played well and save for hitting the back of the net I'd go so far as to say that his play was poor. I'm saying that overall Enrique's performance was better.

Ameobi only scored the hattrick which seems to arbitrarily grant Man of the Match because the normal penalty taker allowed him to get his first career hattrick.

To say that we'd have drawn if it wasn't for Ameobi is fucking laughable. You've no idea what would have happened if Ameobi hadn't scored his first chance. He could have gone on to score 5, or he could have been subbed at 65 minutes for Ranger who bagged a hattrick. It's just incredible someone can state with such conviction that Ameobi's absence would have guaranteed a draw.

Too much emphasis has been put on the hattrick imo, It's great and I'm pleased for the lad, but to say he was the best performer on the pitch is fucking retarded.

I don't think it's "clueless" to say Ameobi's overall play against Reading wasn't great. I don't think he played well and save for hitting the back of the net I'd go so far as to say that his play was poor. I'm saying that overall Enrique's performance was better.

Ameobi only scored the hattrick which seems to arbitrarily grant Man of the Match because the normal penalty taker allowed him to get his first career hattrick.

To say that we'd have drawn if it wasn't for Ameobi is fucking laughable. You've no idea what would have happened if Ameobi hadn't scored his first chance. He could have gone on to score 5, or he could have been subbed at 65 minutes for Ranger who bagged a hattrick. It's just incredible someone can state with such conviction that Ameobi's absence would have guaranteed a draw.

Too much emphasis has been put on the hattrick imo, It's great and I'm pleased for the lad, but to say he was the best performer on the pitch is fucking retarded.

In a 3-0 win? :icon_lol: Christ on a crutch!

Its probably the worst hatrick ever scored, one mishit header (think he even had his eyes closed :icon_lol:), one decent header, one pen. The crosses put in for the goals were the skillful parts.

Edited by graham

Is probably the worst hatrick ever scored, one mishit header (think he even had his eyes closed :icon_lol:), one decent header, one pen. The crosses put in for the goals were the skillful parts.

Bollocks. The second goal was a great header.

Jesus christ Dave, even Matt's giving him some credit for what he achieved on Saturday. :icon_lol:

I think you've taken my claim of 'without him we'd have drawn' too literally. Who the fuck knows what would have happened if he wasn't on the pitch - the fact is he was though and he was the only one to put the ball in the onion bag. If it had been Shearer, you'd be creaming yourself!

Who is our normal penalty taker btw? Pretty certain it last season Barton started it but handed over to Owen/Martins after he missed one.

And too much emphasis on the hat-trick? :)

Is probably the worst hatrick ever scored, one mishit header (think he even had his eyes closed :)), one decent header, one pen. The crosses put in for the goals were the skillful parts.

If Drogba, Torres, Rooney had scored that second goal, the media would be :icon_lol: themselves silly... FACT

Is probably the worst hatrick ever scored, one mishit header (think he even had his eyes closed :icon_lol:), one decent header, one pen. The crosses put in for the goals were the skillful parts.

Which is what I said

Is probably the worst hatrick ever scored, one mishit header (think he even had his eyes closed :)), one decent header, one pen. The crosses put in for the goals were the skillful parts.

Which is what I said

No it isn't :icon_lol:

You both know what I meant by "too much emphasis"

In that, you're advocating 3 goals, regardless of the rest of the performance, dictates a Man of the Match. To take that further, if I did fuck all but have three shots bounce off my sleeping head and trickle into the back of the net, then get sent off, I should get a Man of the Match?

Bollocks.

Shola's overall play was poor, he did everything in his power to miss the first goal, the second was great and he deserves credit and the third is a penalty.

I think if you're being honest, you'll agree my point isn't as preposterous as you're making out, but I think you just fancied an argument.

You both know what I meant by "too much emphasis"

In that, you're advocating 3 goals, regardless of the rest of the performance, dictates a Man of the Match. To take that further, if I did fuck all but have three shots bounce off my sleeping head and trickle into the back of the net, then get sent off, I should get a Man of the Match?

Bollocks.

Shola's overall play was poor, he did everything in his power to miss the first goal, the second was great and he deserves credit and the third is a penalty.

I think if you're being honest, you'll agree my point isn't as preposterous as you're making out, but I think you just fancied an argument.

The bit in italics is bollocks. He headed it down (which is the right thing to do, albeit too much) and put it back across the keeper (also the right thing to do) and had the nouse to get on the end of it in a crowded box.

You'd perhaps have a point if the bit in bold represented his performance. It didn't. And if I'm the one being argumentative, how come you're the one having to bring up up numerous hypothetical scenarios to try and make your point?

OK OK, I'm clueless, why can't I see that every minute he spends on the pitch in any game he looks like the natural born striker throughout?

Maybe my clueless and demented mind has been twisted and warped by all the negative things I read about him from other members and I should learn to judge his performence through my eyes. OH, my apologies for not knowing he has taken quite a few penalties. :icon_lol:

It's something I'd expect a fan to know to be honest.

I'm bringing in hypotheticals to illustrate a point numbnuts. The premise of your argument seems to be that he deserves the MoM because he scored three goals. I'm saying that isn't enough when the rest of his performance was poor; losing posession, stupid fouls, incomprehensible decisions of when and where to run*. If he had scored the three goals on his todd, then yeah I'd bite my tongue more. But both of his goals from open play were as much down to the quality of the delivery as they were the quality of the finish.

I just did not think his overall performance was worthy of a MoM, I'd say there were a fair few players who performed to a greater standard than he did.

*well... you know what I mean.

Edited by The Fish

I just watched the highlights (been on hols) and most of the shots as well as goals came from Shola. I imagine he did nothing else however as a 'striker' you cannot ask for more than 3 goals.

While I don't rate him at all, from the highlights and goals it's not at all unreasonable he got MoM.

Sorry Fish.

:icon_lol:

Edited by trophyshy

I think he saw the cross for the first goal late(obscured view). It wasn't the cleanest connection, but he stuck it in.

His hold up play goes from very good to poor from one minute to the next.

His penalties have been very good for us so far too. I keep thinking he'll miss, but he keeps scoring them. The one against the mackems in particular, I thought he'd blaze out of the stadium.

When he had a run of games under Roeder he did very well, here's his next opportunity to be the main man in a weaker league.

He'll never be a fan favourite, I say fair play to him though.

I'm bringing in hypotheticals to illustrate a point numbnuts. The premise of your argument seems to be that he deserves the MoM because he scored three goals. I'm saying that isn't enough when the rest of his performance was poor; losing posession, stupid fouls, incomprehensible decisions of when and where to run*. If he had scored the three goals on his todd, then yeah I'd bite my tongue more. But both of his goals from open play were as much down to the quality of the delivery as they were the quality of the finish.

I just did not think his overall performance was worthy of a MoM, I'd say there were a fair few players who performed to a greater standard than he did.

*well... you know what I mean.

You said Enrique was better and while he had a canny game I could pick his performance to pieces in several areas too. Anyone else would have to be absolutely outstanding to have a better claim on man of the match than a player who scored 3 and could have had a couple more in a 3-0 win. Quite frankly, no one was. Edited by alex

I dunno alex, I just don't see him as the best performer on the park. Not by a long way. I'm not being pernickety and picking his performance apart piece by piece, I just think overall he was poor. Yes he finished the chances, but so often he was the reason attacks came to nought.

We're clearly not going to agree, but I just don't believe scoring three times whilst playing poorly in the other facets of the game is justification for MoM when there were better performers on the pitch who contributed as much, if not more. As much as Shola put the ball away, Enrique and Raylor served it up with such quality it'd be implausible to fail to.

I dunno alex, I just don't see him as the best performer on the park. Not by a long way. I'm not being pernickety and picking his performance apart piece by piece, I just think overall he was poor. Yes he finished the chances, but so often he was the reason attacks came to nought.

We're clearly not going to agree, but I just don't believe scoring three times whilst playing poorly in the other facets of the game is justification for MoM when there were better performers on the pitch who contributed as much, if not more. As much as Shola put the ball away, Enrique and Raylor served it up with such quality it'd be implausible to fail to.

That's utterly ridiculous. For the first he still had to beat his markers and for the second he got between two defenders and put the ball past the keeper from a fairly tight angle with a great header. You make it sound like both were like Luque's against Palermo.

Edited by alex