Still the biggest

peasepud

43,904 watch a relegated team without a manager, a hated owner and big names disappearing by the day take on Sheff Wed in the fizzy pop league, 24 hours earlier 41,179 turn up to watch the North Easts only Premiership club take on last seasons FA Cup winners.

Not bad going lads, only 2,726 and you might just overtake us, maybe against Liverpool? or how about Man U? tell you what lets see how many turn up in January against Bolton eh?

Saying that, we should hopefully have got rid of the fat lad by then all those that are protesting with their feet may be back.

Big club? bollocks.

Guest Stevie

Sunderland know what they are, they know we know what they are, and we know what they are. There's not a club in British football would get what we got tonight other than Man Utd, clueless people would say that's deluded, but it's also a stone cold fact. Your Leeds, Man City's, Villa's, Tottenham's have never and will never compare. I must say I thought there was a lot more in the ground tonight than the claimed 47000 that seen us play WBA in the League Cup a few years ago.

You have a massive fan base guys and to have that gate with all your troubles is awesome. I wish we could afford to build more on our stadium and get that kind of attendance.

Great start for you guys, you needed it badly! I hope you do well this season and look forward to playing you up your place.

You have a massive fan base guys and to have that gate with all your troubles is awesome. I wish we could afford to build more on our stadium and get that kind of attendance.

Great start for you guys, you needed it badly! I hope you do well this season and look forward to playing you up your place.

Don't take what Stevie says as representative of the rest of us. :D

7 from 9 is a good start, but we're kidding ourselves if we think we'll maintain this kind of form without investment in the squad. We're terrifyingly weak on the wings, up front and at the back.

but it's a great result and hopefully it'll kick us on for the weekend.

The turnstiles are a fucking mare - I got their last night about 7.10 and didn't get to my seat till 7.40 - was worse on saturday cos there were even fewer turnstiles open - fuckin joke man

You have to pay people a pittance to operate those turnstiles you know.

The turnstiles are a fucking mare - I got their last night about 7.10 and didn't get to my seat till 7.40 - was worse on saturday cos there were even fewer turnstiles open - fuckin joke man

What with the pathetic attendance figure last night i should obviously appreciate it wouldn't be financially viable to employ another 20 people for the evening to open a couple more gates - minimum wage is a killer

Don't understand it anymore like... all they do is take the ticket off you and hold it up against the barcode reader. Aye I know that's only true of all ticket matches but how long before we get self-serve turnstiles which chucks your change back at you? Most people would likely use a card anyways...

Guest Stevie

I wonder how long ago it was since 44,000 fans watched a second tier game in this country. My honest guess is 31 years. The yids averaged about 27000, so they may have had one better than that, Villa were down in 1988 but can you see them getting 44000??? No doubt nufc.com will tell us in the coming days.

I wonder how long ago it was since 44,000 fans watched a second tier game in this country. My honest guess is 31 years. The yids averaged about 27000, so they may have had one better than that, Villa were down in 1988 but can you see them getting 44000??? No doubt nufc.com will tell us in the coming days.

While it's hard to compare eras etc. because gates were lower in the 80s and so on there's probably only Man Utd who could get that in the second tier (hypothetically speaking) at present. I honestly believe that.

Guest Stevie

While it's hard to compare eras etc. because gates were lower in the 80s and so on there's probably only Man Utd who could get that in the second tier (hypothetically speaking) at present. I honestly believe that.

It's not even up for debate Liverpool have proved they are the most fickle fans in football they wouldn't get 25,000 at this level in my view, the rest can't even get it in the Prem let alone this division, and in the case of Arsenal, Twickers, London Irish, Lords, Henley Regatta, Henley Polo Club and Saracens would all see their gates double if the gunners went down. There really is only us and Man Utd.

As for the last time a larger crowd saw a Second Tier game: Crystal Palace v Burnley 51,000 May 1979 - Biffa if you're reading you can use that and claim it as your own

Biggest gate gate for 30 years, and still people are writing stuff like where are Newcastle's 8-15,000 missing fans. The thing that makes it staggering for me, is that there are thousands of people who won't go back while FMA is there, and the only single piece of positivity we've had for maybe a year was last Saturday's win against Reading, nothing else has really lifted the place, yet still we have the fanbase to pull in the best part of 50,000. Well done everyone that was there.

Edited by Stevie

The thing that makes it staggering for me, is that there are thousands of people who won't go back while FMA is there, and the only single piece of positivity we've had for maybe a year was last Saturday's win against Reading, nothing else has really lifted the place, yet still we have the fanbase to pull in the best part of 50,000. Well done everyone that was there.

Exactly, I used to point at trophyless decades, apalling decisions from boardroom level down, shocking performances and ask how people could ever say that the tens of thousands of fans who weekly pile in and out of St James' Park were anything less than extraordinary?

I was worried we'd be down in the 20-30k bracket, but I'm happy to be proven delightfully wrong. To outshine places like Blackburn is nothing special to me, but to best sunderland (who claim passionate, loyal fans) when they're facing a title contender proves, categorically that we're incredible in modern football.

Sure we have our Sky Sports mongs, as does every club. But to over 45,000 to attend a midweek game against a non-glamour side, without a manager, with an owner who all despise, no flair to speak of, etc etc just blows my tiny little mind.

congratulations to everyone who made it, you made us all very proud.

About 2 years ago tbh

About 2 years ago tbh

Was that a league game?

Guest Stevie

About 2 years ago tbh

Was that a league game?

I'm not counting Sunderland gates when they need a win to win the league and it's £5 and bring the kids and their pals while you're on. Sunderland v Stoke is it? The admission price is too low at Sunderland to take their gates seriously.

Edited by Stevie

If in the close season Fat fuck Ashley had got the club sold, we had Shearer (or a geuninely decent other manager) on board with time to make key signings, shift the crap and keep a few of the better players, that crowd would be impressive.

When the club is in complete chaos, we have no idea what is happening from day to day, we've lost countless players and the owner is treating us fans like shite, to get that crowd is amazing and something virtually no other club would manage.

If the fat cunt did sell before the deadline and Shearer was brought in, a few more wins and you'd be looking at 50,000 potentially.

About 2 years ago tbh

Was that a league game?

I'm not counting Sunderland gates when they need a win to win the league and it's £5 and bring the kids and their pals while you're on. Sunderland v Stoke is it? The admission price is too low at Sunderland to take their gates seriously.

How convenient.

Guest Stevie

About 2 years ago tbh

Was that a league game?

How convenient.

We know where certain peoples loyalties lie don't you worry.