Well, well, well, another victory against a mediocre..

accadacca

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm all for enjoying the victory and getting carried away. I sit firmly on the eternal optimist side of the fence (irritationly so some would say); but realistically, unless we invest in the squad and sort the management out, we're going to come a cropper as the season goes on. Keeping players fit and injury free is a massive task. For all I dislike him, Barton was a miss last night and highlights our shortcomings. Imagine if we have 2/3/4 injured. A team of kids are likely to get murdered in this league.

Hughton is doing the best he can with what he's got and in fairness to him, he's not making a bad fist of it.

Are we better than everyone else, or are we punching above our current (handicapped) weight? By handicapped I mean, the negative impact the clubs state has had on the team. If this is a false dawn, then hopefully the club gets sorted out before it breaks :icon_lol:

If MA is going to sell the club, he needs to do it now. If he's not, we need to install a manager and buy some players before the window closes.

I'm coming to the conclusion that MA is clearly not going to be forced into selling the club for less than he wants and the only way that is going to happen is if we get promoted. Logically, if he's going to keep hold of the club for another season, we need to make sure that promotion happens. That means player recruitment. We've moved a good proportion of the clubs higher earners off the books which was necessary and not altogether a bad thing. It will spell disaster if we dont replace them though.

Can I also say though, bring on Palace. We'll have them too :nufc::D

side which the CCC is full of.

I will say it until I am blue in the face - nothing is going to stop Premier League footy being obtained this season.

6 of the present squad could be sold and replaced by inferiors and promotion would still be achieved.

When are the pessimists on here going to realise this ??

That crowd last night will also give great encouragement to those GENUINELY interested in buying from FMA - close £0.5M in footfall gate money alone.

So, we grimly hung on for a win last night, we had Krul to thank for not getting beat at WBA, we went to shit when one of our strikers went off last night, I'll be amazed if Taylor doesn't get sold, Colo is a walking timebomb, we must have the thinnest squad in the four divisions, but, you think nothing will stop us getting premier football this year. If, and it's a big fucking 'if', we hold on to what we've got and bring a little bit of quality cover in, then you may be right, what up till now though, gives you the optimism that this'll happen?

That crowd last night will also give great encouragement to those GENUINELY interested in buying from FMA - close £0.5M in footfall gate money alone.

Of course, it'll also give just as much encouragement to Ashley that he could afford not to sell.

Championship wage bill, Premiership attendances.

The most profitable clubs in football are the ones that yoyo between the top two divisions.

Edited by Happy Face

"Pride comes before a fall"

"Dont count your chickens till they've hatched"

etc.

Always look on the bright side of life.......

Glass half full

Better to light a candle than to curse the darkness.

All very well as a philosophy in your every day life but I'm not sure it works when it comes to supporting Newcastle.

etc.

Glass half full

All very well as a philosophy in your every day life but I'm not sure it works when it comes to supporting Newcastle.

Indeed. I used to say 'a bird in the hand is worth two in the bush' but now its 'a bird in the hand invariably shits on your wrist'.

[b. Connoly]

etc.

Glass half full

Dont think I would be able to support Newcastle if I wasn't an optimist.

:D

What ewerk said, this mong should be refrained from creating threads such as this, its blind optimism and it's boring.

It also emphasises the myth that were all fat, deluded pie munchers to other rival posters or newcomers.

As a dose of reality, I looked up how many points were required in the last few seasons in the CCC to come first or to get sixth place (and a go in the playoffs—1-in-4 chance of promotion).

08–09

1st - 90 points

6th - 74

07–08

1st - 81

6th - 70

06–07

1st - 88

6th - 75

05–06

1st - 106 (!!!)

6th - 75

04–05

1st - 96

6th - 73

In every case, that's a shit-load of points required.

This league is long and will not be walk in the park.

I admit we have had a good start but it's best not to get carried away at least til the after the end of August. Then we can see what team we will be playing with all season.

Aye we had a decent start 3 games in last season, before the Assley effect had time to kick in. :icon_lol:

Admittedly we're doing better than expected, and that may well be down to the quality of the league, or just plain luck. :D

But we've still got the problem of a very small squad, potential to lose more players, and we still might have more Assley madness.

The other thing is that there are teams that do "storm" the Championship, then go straight back down in disastrous fashion.

On the upside we've already played two of the stronger CCC sides and survived.

I admit we have had a good start but it's best not to get carried away at least til the after the end of August. Then we can see what team we will be playing with all season.

Aye we had a decent start 3 games in last season, before the Assley effect had time to kick in. :icon_lol:

Admittedly we're doing better than expected, and that may well be down to the quality of the league, or just plain luck. :D

But we've still got the problem of a very small squad, potential to lose more players, and we still might have more Assley madness.

The other thing is that there are teams that do "storm" the Championship, then go straight back down in disastrous fashion.

On the upside we've already played two of the stronger CCC sides and survived.

Thats because we had a stronger team. Next time we play them will probably be alot different

I will say it until I am blue in the face - nothing is going to stop Premier League footy being obtained this season.

6 of the present squad could be sold and replaced by inferiors and promotion would still be achieved.

A visionary in his own time......They even laughed at him.... But whose laughing now as we piss all over another mediocre team.

Knee jerk tbh

A visionary in his own time......They even laughed at him.... But whose laughing now as we piss all over another mediocre team.

Knee jerk tbh

most definitely

and still they refuse to believe :lol: piece of piss I'm telling ya

If we're flying high come the end of October ... then I'll start feeling confident.

Let's just get through this week without losing too many players.

The thing is even if we do "storm" the league (assuming we get no injuries, no one else is sold, and our luck continues) that doesn't mean we won't just go straight back down (with perhaps a new low points record) next season.

Clearly Moat has sweet fuck all money to invest in the club and Assley clearly won't invest. :lol:

If we're flying high come the end of October ... then I'll start feeling confident.

The thing is even if we do "storm" the league (assuming we get no injuries, no one else is sold, and our luck continues) that doesn't mean we won't just go straight back down (with perhaps a new low points record) next season.

Clearly Moat has sweet fuck all money to invest in the club and Assley clearly won't invest. :lol:

Just like a lot said the championship would be shit and so far it's enjoyable, there is probably a lot of fun to be had spending a few years as a yo - yo club. Promotions, relegations, play off finals, wembley, trafalgar square etc etc.

It's nice to be winning again. The best any non rich club in the prem can hope for is clinging on to mid table and having pretty dull seasons. I wouldn't be to keen to go back to that just yet.

Lets have a bit of fun first.

There's fun and then there's fun. Being a big fish in a small pond will get old very quickly (very, very quickly indeed if results start to turn), much more quickly than being an average size fish in a large pond with a few steroid enhanced sharks.

There is no reason NUFC couldn't be competing for 6-8 in the Premiership if we're run properly...... the problem is the longer we're away from there the harder it will be to ever get back there.

Clearly Moat has sweet fuck all money to invest in the club and Assley clearly won't invest. :razz:

Just like a lot said the championship would be shit and so far it's enjoyable, there is probably a lot of fun to be had spending a few years as a yo - yo club. Promotions, relegations, play off finals, wembley, trafalgar square etc etc.

It's nice to be winning again. The best any non rich club in the prem can hope for is clinging on to mid table and having pretty dull seasons. I wouldn't be to keen to go back to that just yet.

Aye, great fun being so shit you're relegated every other year like, ask the mackems. Just when would you like being an established premiership side again then CT? :lol:

I dont see any fun in what we went through last season tbh.

If thats the prospect then give me a few years of failing at the play-offs, at least we'll get a trip to Wembley and have all the heartache in one day rather than an entire season of disappointments and piss taking as we went through last season.

Yo-yo? no thank you.

Tommorrow.

Think you mis read the thread tbh.

The best any non rich club in the prem can hope for is clinging on to mid table and having pretty dull seasons. I wouldn't be to keen to go back to that just yet.

Which part of your post did I misread?

Clearly Moat has sweet fuck all money to invest in the club and Assley clearly won't invest. :razz:

Aye, great fun being so shit you're relegated every other year like, ask the mackems. Just when would you like being an established premiership side again then CT? :lol:

Its probably a moot point tbh because seeing what happened last year if was any one of about 12 0r 14 teams that could have been dragged into relegation.

I would love to be back there now challenging for a european place.

Think my feelings are two fold. First, the team that was so bad last year in the prem has been so asset stripped already, combine that with no prospect of any money and we all know we are doing very well just to survive this season, never mind challenge.

Secondly, the reality of if we do get back up we will now be a derby type team, due to asset stripping, (too good for the championship, not crap for the prem) is depressing.

I think like a lot of others I am also getting a bit bored with two tier prem where the top 6 is virtually set in stone.

I do know im also talking bollox, just trying to think that a few years of play offs, wembley trips etc might be fun for a change.

I know it doesnt float everyones boat.

Fair enough, I do know where you're coming from, but I don't think I am being deluded in believing we are simply too big to be a yo yo club, it would be ridiculous. I am just trying to clutch to some kind of hope where someone, with some money, can actually see our potential and somehow utilize it. I mean, look at our crowds, we're likely to be in the top 6 despite being in the Championship!

I can't envisage Ashley sticking around if we are promoted so I'd hope the cycle would be broken very soon and it would be onwards and upwards. Mind, with the likes of Man City, football is basically a bit shit, end of story.