Great North Run

trophyshy

Lads,

I got sod all of you lot last time I tried but I know times are tough.

If any of you have ever raised a smile at any of my attempts at humour or contributions to this board or are merely loaded and don't have a clue what to waste your money on this week (I do look in the materialism/betting threads you know) then I ask you, at least consider giving The Prostate Cancer Charity a couple of quid for me.

Once again I am punishing my flesh and bones for charity. This time a run; I love running, I'm an absolute natural. I never get a stitch or feel like throwing up. Can't believe it is only a half marathon actually, I might just keep on running all the way back to London. That's how much I love running.

Actually, that is all untrue. I hate running, in fact I have barely run since I used to not run upon being sent on a cross country yomp when my PE teacher was feeling idle. We ran out of the school building to the nearest house and drank tea and discussed Sigue Sigue Sputnik for an hour, splashed water on ourselves and ran back in.

On Sunday my training peaked and I ran 11 miles up and down the Great North Road, ironically listening to Sigue Sigue Sputnik provides me with enough fury to keep going.

So then, I can't do this without some fiscal support. Well I can, but it will mean a lot less reason for all the pain I have and will suffer. Think of it this way, I am doing the Great North Run so you don't have to.

The Prostate Cancer Charity is a great cause, they are doing loads of stuff to raise the profile, research and combat this awful disease that kills around 10,000 men a year in the UK.

Thanks very much, I really appreciate any support you can offer.

http://www.justgiving.com/Guy-Coulson/

Edited by trophyshy

Excellent cause mate, hope you earn a bomb.

Unfortunately I've had about 25 seperate people ask for donations this month and I'm already in the hole. I used to slag off people who'd refuse a sponsorship but I'm starting to see where they're coming from. I'm gonna have to pick a charity, set up a direct debit and refuse all other requests.

The bastards wouldn't have me. My donation is contingent on you scowling at every volunteer and organiser you see.

I have been practising scowling every time I've been running so no problem there.

Thanks very much mate.

Edited by trophyshy

It's the people that are saying "He did it in 10 hours, so it's not a proper Marathon"... I think they're missing the point a little.

It's a fantastic acheivement and all for a great cause.

trophy, the gauntlet has been thrown...

It has indeed. This:

I might just keep on running all the way back to London.

...is clearly no longer good enough. I'm thinking you should run a route between the microstates of Europe, just for comedy value.

Christ. Good lad I say.

Right then, I have been dabbling with this for a while, a new challenge for next year.

To give you the background, last year I took a team on the 3 peak challenge, this year was the C2C bike ride, but these things are so popular I want to do something a bit different.

I thought about swimming down Windermere, but it's a bit well, small. Probably polish it off in a few hours.

I may as well launch a feasibility study here given there are so many learned and opinionated sorts. :D

Who thinks I can swim around the British mainland (and not die)?

And how many days do you think it will take? The length of the coastline is stated as 11,073 miles however this is taking into account the ins and outs. I have estimated the distance swimming in straightish lines (shortest distance between e.g. Clacton-on-Sea and Margate) to be between 2000 and 2250 miles. 2 miles an hour seems to be an achievable speed. So 10 hours a day = 20 miles = 100 - 112.5 days. Assume you miss every third day due to conditions then this might take 5 or 6 months to complete.

Please now list the reasons why this is insane and no one has does it yet....

Edited by trophyshy

Done.

Doing the run myself for the Sunshine Fund. Full of cold at the min (thanks to my son!) so Im hoping it clears in time. Would have liked to have a couple of short 6mile runs this week but nowt so far.

Good luck anyway.

On the swim thing, the reason no one has done that is because swimming around the UK means swimming past places like Dunnet Head, Wick, Elgin etc. Id point out that they are near the fucking NORTH POLE and the water is practically THE ARCTIC!

:D

Good man JawD! I shall return the favour. Good luck to you too, I'd say if you don't get a run in tonight then don't bother, you may as well just rest and stay off the pop till sunday. :D

Edit: your page has expired so I'll just give it directly to the Sunshine Fund.

Edited by trophyshy

Finished in 2.03, it was baking hot and the last 3 miles were pretty brutal. Running past several collapsed people when you feel close to that yourself is mildly alarming. It was far harder than any of my training runs suggested. How does it manage to feel uphill most of the way down to the sea ffs?

Amazing atmosphere, people by the side of the road handing you random things is hilarious and heartwarming....a list of what was on offer;

Icepops - awesome, thanks very much, melt in your mouth as too fucked to chew them.

Vaseline - when else in life will you have dozens of people thrusting huge jars of Vaseline in your face?

Facewipes - I took one like, not quite as useful as a sponge

Sugar sachets, again not bad, these were more prevalent in the vicinity of McDonalds.

Rich Tea Biscuit, I nearly had to stop with laughter when I saw this lone item offered to the throng. Just what you need.

Loads of people with water and hoses from their gardens spraying everyone and the fire engine spraying you with delicious refreshing water then you run through its diesel fumes. :huh:

Rampant mass littering with impunity, 13 miles of carnage.

Went to the Plymouth game too, was sat just in front of Carroll when he thumped the third in. Cracking weekend.

Thank you again to everyone who sponsored me. http://www.justgiving.com/Guy-Coulson

Edited by trophyshy

My mate runs every year for the dog shelter.

When he got home from doing the run this year, he found the dog he'd got from the shelter 4 years ago had had a heart attack and died.

:huh:

Fucking hell it's like ET when they both get ill.

Finished in 2.03, it was baking hot and the last 3 miles were pretty brutal. Running past several collapsed people when you feel close to that yourself is mildly alarming. It was far harder than any of my training runs suggested. How does it manage to feel uphill most of the way down to the sea ffs?

Amazing atmosphere, people by the side of the road handing you random things is hilarious and heartwarming....a list of what was on offer;

Icepops - awesome, thanks very much, melt in your mouth as too fucked to chew them.

Vaseline - when else in life will you have dozens of people thrusting huge jars of Vaseline in your face?

Sugar sachets, again not bad, these were more prevalent in the vicinity of McDonalds.

Rich Tea Biscuit, I nearly had to stop with laughter when I saw this lone item offered to the throng. Just what you need.

Loads of people with water and hoses from their gardens spraying everyone and the fire engine spraying you with delicious refreshing water then you run through its diesel fumes. :huh:

Went to the Plymouth game too, was sat just in front of Carroll when he thumped the third in. Cracking weekend.

Thank you again to everyone who sponsored me. http://www.justgiving.com/Guy-Coulson

I think that's because it IS uphill all the way down John Reid Road. Well done by the way!!

Edited by donaldstott

Good time there fella. Took me 2hr 39mins. I wasnt prepared for that heat like. I felt pretty good until 10 mile then it just felt like every ache I had was x10 worse. I had blisters on both feet and a slight tweak in my groin but they were all manageable. The single worst pain that I was in agony with was the frigging charity vest I had rubbing on my underarm causing a friction burn ;) was stinging like fuck with the sweat on it etc. Managed to grab some of the vasaline like to smear on it :huh:

Was a cracking day like, but like you the last three mile really fucked me. I swear if I walked I'd have been quicker that last section. I also managed to grab a jelly baby off some lass in the crowd :icon_lol:

I had 4-5 amblulances go past like during the run and seen loads of people getting treated by St Johns. At the end along the coast it was unreal how many people were walking. I understand why like, that heat was pounding. Oh aye, also sunburned my shoudlers after calling the wife daft for saying I should have sun cream on :rolleyes:

Tell you what though, I have utmost respect for the numerous fatties I seen doing the run. Ok, so they walked after 1mile, but at least they had the guts to get out there for charity and do it (Im not taking the piss btw). By fatty I mean men/women who were clearly obese.

All in all a good day, cracking atmosphere as you say.

Only thing for me was the mass of wasted water etc. Not sure what happens to it but Id like to think what was left could be recovered, cleaned + shipped for charity or something?

Aye, blisters on the parts of my feet I didn't put plasters on. Agony. Plus I have two stonking blood blisters under my second toes, according to experts I am going to lose those toenails. ;)

Anyway, well done mate!

And cheers Gem. :huh:

Edited by trophyshy

When I did it 6 year ago I found the 3-10mile point the hardest! The last 3 mile were easier as the crowd was geeing you on and you knew the finish line was nearly there. My nipples nearly bled though!

Now you know what happens to my eyes when I read your posts

When I did it 6 year ago I found the 3-10mile point the hardest! The last 3 mile were easier as the crowd was geeing you on and you knew the finish line was nearly there. My nipples nearly bled though!

My nipples were fucking wrecking at the end :huh: I didnt realise they were being slowly rubbed out by my top until Id finished then it felt like someone had just whipped them off with a cheese grater. Now it looks like someone has sucked on them soo hard they've drew blood and left several little blood scabs. Nice huh. ;) That along with the burn mark under my armpit. I nearly wept like a girl when I sprayed deoderant when I showered after.