More Thatcher than Thatcher

AgentAxeman

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The council house bribe was a deft move, kept the workers onside just long enough.

i assume you're talking about selling of the council houses??

i dont know ANYBODY that did'nt make a profit out of that.

Err..People who need affordable housing now??

what?, and you're blaming that on Thatcher? Correct me if i'm wrong but didnt the housing price 'boom' happen long after Thatcher had left office??

:icon_lol:

She reomved almost the entire council stock into private ownership man. That's fine if you profited from it at the time (and acted as a fantastic bribe to the electorate) but what's happened 20 years down the line?

how the FUCK have we moved to a society where both parents work too?

Then govts/teachers moan that parenting standards are shite.

Consumerism breeds greed breeds consumerism.

Almost no families had two parents working in up to the 80's.

Greed imo, we have been conned to think life is better with a better car, a flatter tv, a fatter gut.

mine did (although my mum was part time)

so what you're saying is that at least one parent should stay at home and look after the kids?? and that would solve all societies ills would it??

What a surprise that Christmas tree is a Thatcher apologist. Obvious from his personal philosophy really.

didn't take long for mother teresa to arrive!

Does it ever cross your mind that She was democratically elected again and again and again?

Or is democracy only important when it suits YOUR agenda.

She was universally (well, almost apparently) reviled in the North East though, and was effectively voted in with a block vote from the South East and Midlands who happened to benefit from her 'I'm alright Jack' philosophy. She caused untold misery in the North which we haven't, and probably never will, recover from, and she really couldn't give a shit who she hurt. Her vision of society (or rather, there is no society) was callous in the extreme.

I take it you did OK alright under her though. ;)

So just for the record if the Tories had not been in power for 18 years, are you saying we would still have thriving coal mines. Steel works, and superb nationalised compaies?

They might be thriving, they almost certainly wouldn't be superb. Most of Europe have protected their heavy industry through subsidy I believe.

That doesnt work though im afaraid. If Labour had spent the last 10 years pumping billions into all these industries, where would the cash have come from? NHS, Schools etc etc.

The same place the French and Germans get their cash from...more taxes.

European countries repeatedly out perform the UK in the happiness stakes, we love to holiday there, yet we are a country of euroskeptics. :icon_lol:

The council house bribe was a deft move, kept the workers onside just long enough.

what?, and you're blaming that on Thatcher? Correct me if i'm wrong but didnt the housing price 'boom' happen long after Thatcher had left office??

She reomved almost the entire council stock into private ownership man. That's fine if you profited from it at the time (and acted as a fantastic bribe to the electorate) but what's happened 20 years down the line?

would of been fine if the market had'nt been artificially inflated in the late 90's. and who was in power then?..........

What a surprise that Christmas tree is a Thatcher apologist. Obvious from his personal philosophy really.

Does it ever cross your mind that She was democratically elected again and again and again?

She was universally (well, almost apparently) reviled in the North East though, and was effectively voted in with a block vote from the South East and Midlands who happened to benefit from her 'I'm alright Jack' philosophy. She caused untold misery in the North which we haven't, and probably never will, recover from, and she really couldn't give a shit who she hurt. Her vision of society (or rather, there is no society) was callous in the extreme.

So just for the record if the Tories had not been in power for 18 years, are you saying we would still have thriving coal mines. Steel works, and superb nationalised compaies?

They might be thriving, they almost certainly wouldn't be superb. Most of Europe have protected their heavy industry through subsidy I believe.

That doesnt work though im afaraid. If Labour had spent the last 10 years pumping billions into all these industries, where would the cash have come from? NHS, Schools etc etc.

European countries repeatedly out perform the UK in the happiness stakes, we love to holiday there, yet we are a country of euroskeptics. :icon_lol:

nice place to visit, but i would'nt want to live there!!

;)

oh, not to mention favourable exchange rates, sunny climate etc.............

Edited by AvatarAxeman

how the FUCK have we moved to a society where both parents work too?

Then govts/teachers moan that parenting standards are shite.

Consumerism breeds greed breeds consumerism.

Almost no families had two parents working in up to the 80's.

Greed imo, we have been conned to think life is better with a better car, a flatter tv, a fatter gut.

mine did (although my mum was part time)

so what you're saying is that at least one parent should stay at home and look after the kids?? and that would solve all societies ills would it??

No, where did I say that?

would of been fine if the market had'nt been artificially inflated in the late 90's. and who was in power then?..........

Care to elaborate what you mean?

The housing market was artifically inflated when credit laws allowed banks to lend 120% mortgages to poor people with no deposit. That happened around 2002. Untill then there was just normal inflation from economic cycles.

The housing market was artifically inflated when credit laws allowed banks to lend 120% mortgages to poor people with no deposit. That happened around 2002. Untill then there was just normal inflation from economic cycles.

To clarify, was this practice actually illegal before 2002?

Yup. Quality of life is in real terms better in Germany and for sure France. Depends where you live though I guess.

To clarify, was this practice actually illegal before 2002?

Think so, against financial regulations at least.

Xbox

Sky

Computers

etc etc etc

3 churches in my village and probably 100 out of a community of 10,000 attend.

Times moved on.

By that rationale, isolationism is an inevitability and as a member of a species that has it's spot in the food chain assured by society, I find that very hard to believe.

I'm sorry mate, but if you're blaming the collapse of community on gadgets you're massivley mistaken. Thatcher announced and actively (through her policy) encouraged the death of community. Her efforts brought the country to where it is, she intentionally set us down this path, the Labour governments have just been neutered and weak.

fwiw The church attendance is because atheism is factually accurate.

There's a difference between modernising the economy over a period of time and gradually replacing jobs through investment and so on and doing it virtually overnight with zero regard for the destructive influence that would have on mining communities etc. The reason Thatcher is a cunt is because her approach was the latter.

Edited by alex

There's a difference between modernising the economy over a period of time and gradually replacing jobs through investment and so on and doing it virtually overnight with zero regard for the destructive influence that would have on mining communities etc. The reason Thatcher is a cunt is because her approach was the latter.

Hey CT?

BOOM, You've just been alexed ;)

Would the softly, softly approach have worked? Given the opposition.

I don't think what she did was essentially wrong but it was the way that these regions were subsequently neglected that was one of her major mistakes.

Was it not a speedy process though in part caused by the fight brought to her by the unions.

They had controlled labour by strike action and took a sort of "and were going to control you" stance with the new Tory goverment.

People like scargill hastened what these days would be a much more reasonable process.

this

anyone remember the Queen's 25th Jubilee?

yup, we had a street party! with bunting from lampost to lampost!! all the way down the street!!! I got a special coin and everything at school!!!! ah, best memories of the 70's!

Was it not a speedy process though in part caused by the fight brought to her by the unions.

They had controlled labour by strike action and took a sort of "and were going to control you" stance with the new Tory goverment.

People like scargill hastened what these days would be a much more reasonable process.

I wouldn't disagree with that. Both sides were to blame. Scargill was an ego-maniac who sold his own union and its members down the river. That doesn't excuse Thatcher's slash and burn ploicy though. She could have done things so differently but my reading of it is she didn't care about communities and areas that she thought would never vote Tory anyway. She made no effort to soften the blow in places that had had the heart ripped out of them. That sort of 'fuck you' attitude is probably what Fish is getting at regarding the breakdown of social networks and communities there. It's not the only reason but it was a massive factor. Her message was 'I'm alright Jack and tough shit if you're not'.

more rabbit than Sainsbury's?

Sell it all, all the stuff we own. Give it to the rich and charge the poor to use the stuff we paid for in the first place.

The rich ruling classes latest, greatest trick.

There's no escape lads. We are ruled by greedy idiots. NUFC is a microcosm of the world at large.

Spot on that is

As Robert Tressel sort of said (but not in these exact words). These wankers, if they could bottle the air we breath they would do it, and they would fucking sell it to us, and when your on your knees gasping for your last breath they would give you some for free. And you would be so grateful to them. Cunts