Yes we can

trophyshy

Sorry to get all Dragons Den on you. I realise people are doing this out of love for the club rather than to see a return on their investment. But a lot of the information available still seems to be around the initial 10% commitment and the associated liability rather than the long term investment and the safeguards for minimising losses. After all Mike Ashley is losing 70% on his investment if we match his asking price.

Is he? I thought you had completed the sums that shows otherwise with his players sales and lack of reinvesting.

Do we need to start a compendium for you HF?

Not sure I have like.

Think I've said I can't see how he'll lose money this season.

None of us know the total he's put in/taken out to date. But he clearly spent more than he earned in his first 2 seasons at the club.

EDIT: And his asking price is only 60% of what he paid for it.

You sure?

Do I hear 50, a 50% of the purchase price? :lol:

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorry to get all Dragons Den on you. I realise people are doing this out of love for the club rather than to see a return on their investment. But a lot of the information available still seems to be around the initial 10% commitment and the associated liability rather than the long term investment and the safeguards for minimising losses. After all Mike Ashley is losing 70% on his investment if we match his asking price.

Is he? I thought you had completed the sums that shows otherwise with his players sales and lack of reinvesting.

Do we need to start a compendium for you HF?

Not sure I have like.

Think I've said I can't see how he'll lose money this season.

None of us know the total he's put in/taken out to date. But he clearly spent more than he earned in his first 2 seasons at the club.

EDIT: And his asking price is only 60% of what he paid for it.

You sure?

Do I hear 50, a 50% of the purchase price? :lol:

He definitley paid £134m for the club and he's definitley saying he wants £80m (publicly). So if he sold at that price he'd have lost 41.3% of what he paid for the club. That's not a guess.

The only question is has he invested more than he's taken out while here and to what degree has that affected his losses.

I'd guess he's not managed to take more out than he's put at the moment.

Edited by Happy Face

There is no denying, no matter how much I mistrust the bloke that he will be making a loss on this. The scale of that loss however when you take everything into account such as free advertising for SD etc is not so easy to calculate, as HF says.

Just some general questions.

If/When the Trust raise enough to buy out Mr Ashley, what then? The club will have its debt, plus running at a loss just to look at before thinking about the purchase of players.

In the fan ownership scheme, just how much control is voted on by the fans, who makes the day to day business running decisions?

Will there be an annual input of cash required by the fans? Or will it be on the basis of season tickets?

I understand there has been input of financial people, will there be a "ring of accountants" who will advise on decisions within the club?

The purchase price is *allegedly* the full price, no debt, Im not sure however if that includes the Overdraft.

The President and board make the decisions, this is no Ebsfleet, we vote in a President and board and they run the club, they deal regularly with the fans, proper fans forums, regular contact with the Trust, that sort of thing. The fans also have the ability to remove a President if things arent going right. As Ive said before though, thats not an easy process otherwise we'd have President changeovers just because we lose 3 games. Something like 25% of the membership would have to back any request to hold a new election before its put to the vote.

No, your investment is your investment, after that its down to running the club on a sound financial footing and any new investors joining.

No, the board is the board they dont report to some financials eleswhere, one of the Presidents 3 on the board would be a Finance Director.

Cheers PP. The President elect and board members makes perfect sense. I also think its a point worth re-iterating in various places as I've seen comments (from those who havent bothered to find out) about how the club would fair being ran by a dozen tracksuit clad Geordies who have slashed the price of beer to a quid ;)

I assume the first step would be for those interested in being on the board / president to put themselves forward along with their credentials and this would then be sent to all those with a vote. I think we all recognise the need to have a FD on the board.

Bit late but...err, what the hell...err...'BRING ON THE W....' ...err....nahhh....err....someone's already cracked that one ;)

err.....Toon fans launch bid

....err....

....13 in 1:24....impressive! ;):D

Edited by B&Wsy

There should be snippets of things being released over the next few days. The full financial package info is having the last few tweaks applied and will be released once the solicitors have rubber stamped it, few days at least though before that appears.

Pud, just had a look at the promotional posters...they say the minimum is £2500.

Consistency is critical to engender confidence like.

Which figure is it?

(trying to help not be pedantic)

Edited by trophyshy

Pud, just had a look at the promotional posters...they say the minimum is £2500.

Consistency is critical to engender confidence like.

Which figure is it?

(trying to help not be pedantic)

Its definitely £1500, not sure why they've released the posters (which I believe are Chronicle produced) when they're clearly wrong. :good:

• 4 weeks later...

although it appears to have gone quiet it's definitely moving on, the whole legal and financial side of things took s lot longer to sort than we naively expected. What's were now doing is releasing the business plan etc after the initial phase has ended (6 weeks is up next Thursday). Get Christmas out of the way and then people will be hit with the big stuff.

It's all looking good though, over 3000 have already signed up with pledges even though we weren't looking for actual pledges yet. Once the business plan and financial info are released then I'd expect the bulk of those interested will show their hand.

PP: Would I have to pay the deposit thing by next Thursday or would participation be an ongoing option?

No no, we didnt expect anyone to pay their deposits yet tbh, its like Ive been saying all along, the first stage (which has gone on longer than we originally wanted or expected) was just to get people an understanding of the plan and the potential cost. No deposits are expected until after the business plan has been released and people have had a chance to take it in and make their own minds up.

" Over the next 6 weeks the Trust has a total to reach but they are refusing to reveal how much because 'this is clearly a commercial issue' and 'we want to negotiate with Mr Ashley on our basis not his".

Mark Jensen.

Do we take it then that this financial target has now been met?

I answered a link declaring that I was interested in joining and have heard nothing back. I'm resigned to waiting for one of these IFA walk-in things to open so I can actually speak face to face with someone about my options of joining this.

It started with a bang with 40,000 e-mails sent to toon fans letting them know about how the campaign would work towards bringing interested parties in a fans led consortium to buy the club. 6 weeks of hard campaigning with 18 roadshows attracting over 1000 people, regular e-mail newsletters, stories about ‘local achievers’, 30,000 postcards distributed in pubs and clubs across the city and numerous meetings between the Trust and interested parties.

The 1st phase ended with the huge 60ft by 20ft Alan Shearer shirt which last made an outing draped over the Angel of the North being unfurled over the Castle Keep in Newcastle.

Yes We Can has also launched a number of collaborative events with charities including a single by the Steady Boys available on download by itunes and in the shops in over Christmas. Its called Yes We Can – the terrace song and half the proceeds of the song go to the Royal British Legion.

Mark Jensen, Spokesperson and link with exetrnal partners for the Trust said

‘Its been a hard but rewarding 6 week campaign and we’ve made a fantastic start to what could be a real fans led buy out of the club. We now have in place all of our commercial partners and are already planning phase 2 of the campaign commencing 6 Jan 2010. Fans have been frustrated by the lack of visible progress but a lot has happened, relationships have been cemented and there is real and tangible interest from the city in what we’re doing. We’ll get one chance at doing this and we’ve a duty to make sure its correct and remember it took the Magpie group over 2 years to acquire control of the club. I can make this promise, the proposal we’re now working on with partners won’t take that long’.

I gave up on the NUST when they sent me an email last week telling me to support "Geordie Joe" in the X-Factor final tbh...

Seriously? who the fuck authorised sending out that kind of shit to everyone? luckily I didnt get it like.

I gave up on the NUST when they sent me an email last week telling me to support "Geordie Joe" in the X-Factor final tbh...

Seriously? who the fuck authorised sending out that kind of shit to everyone? luckily I didnt get it like.

Yes We Can turns to Yes He Can - Vote Joe in X Factor - Joe and hisfamily are big Newcastle fans - as is his mentor Cheryl Cole - best ofluck to Joe.

:(