The making of a good striker

blackandwhiteboy

I am constantly left bemused why strikers such as Emile Heskey and Bobby Zamora are plaudited despite their seeming inability to score goals for their side. Just read this Premier League football blog which suggests that strikers should be judged on more than their goal record but i have to question that surely these players are put in the side to score, and if they do not then they should be deemed a failure. While i accept that forwards do need other aspects to their game, such as to hold up the ball and bring others into it, it beggars belief that strikers which year after year fail to score over 5/6 goals a season are still backed and put in Premier League teams week in week out. The best strikers can surely provide their side with extra dimensions and also hit 20 a season, such as the likes of Drogba, Torres and Shearer did season after season.

I heard a cracker on 5 live the other day, someone suggesting that arsenal should sign heskey as hes "just what they need"

the other three have drogba rooney and torres and they should be after heskey?

what about the likes of Beardsley/Sheringham/Zola who didnt score shitloads but provided shitloads for others? must admit that Zamora is crap like!

Beardsley - 755apps (237) goals

Sheringham - 760 apps (289) goals

Zola - 599apps (192) goals

All averaged around 1 in 3. Not bad for a second striker

what about the likes of Beardsley/Sheringham/Zola who didnt score shitloads but provided shitloads for others? must admit that Zamora is crap like!

very true, but thats not the point. you need different kinds of strikers. you cant just judge on goals. kevin davies is a mint striker, so is carlos tevez but they dont score many

very true, but thats not the point. you need different kinds of strikers. you cant just judge on goals. kevin davies is a mint striker, so is carlos tevez but they dont score many

:razz:

Much more to it that just goals. You can't just look at the stats and say, hasn;t scored goals then he must be average. You have to actually see them play. So many other factors to consider. Sure, they should be capable of scoring goals, but it't not necessarily the be all end all. There will always be big strikers out there who's primary role is to break up and commit the defense in order to open up space for their teammates. These sort of strikers will rarely score more than 10 goals, as they're often playing back to goal and sometimes on their own.

I view a striker as an old skool goal scorer rather than someone whose job is to link with the midfield, and create goals as well as score them (I suppose I'd call the latter a forward).

Andy Cole Andy Cole Andy Andy Cole was never the same player after he left us and went to Man Utd. Ferguson made him more of a forward than a striker and he seemed to lose his ability in front of goal. Didn't do his England chances any favours iirc.

I view a striker as an old skool goal scorer rather than someone whose job is to link with the midfield, and create goals as well as score them (I suppose I'd call the latter a forward).

Andy Cole Andy Cole Andy Andy Cole was never the same player after he left us and went to Man Utd. Ferguson made him more of a forward than a striker and he seemed to lose his ability in front of goal. Didn't do his England chances any favours iirc.

Cole got better after he left us imo. He wasn't the focus of the side any more in the way he had been but I'd argue he wasn't good enough to be. He never did much for England because he was the sort of striker who didn't convert a high enough %-age of chances.