Trendy or Trad?

Monkeys Fist

So, who's having what for Christmas Dinner?

Are we a board full of Turkey Tradionalists or do we have Culinary Christmas adventurers amongst us.

Whilst I will give anything a try 364 days of the year, Christmas dinner means Turkey and all the trimmings in the Fist household.

Roasties, pigs in blankets, roast parsnips, swede mash, sprouts and bacon, buttered carrots, peas, stuffing......

You get the picture.

What's on the table in your house?

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Had a traditional Christmas dinner at our student house about a fortnight ago. Was grand, huge turkey, pigs in blankets, carrots & parsnips with a honey & soy glaze, stuffing (albeit vile paxo stuff), sprouts and roasties.

Spiffing. My mate's lass made us a pineapple upside-down cake for pud as a 'sorry I couldn't be there' gesture. <_<

Spending Christmas Day with my Dad and the step family. Should be interesting, not sure what the meal will be like, but it's in Surrey so it's bound to be pretentious. :(

Heading to my girlfriends parents for x-mas. Spent last time at mine where its a traditional affair. But I believe its not as big at hers and lamb is normally served.

As long as I get my presents I'll be happy. :(

However I think we will be stuck in our flat getting takeaway if the weather forecast is correct.

The last couple of years I've made it so we've had beef/vegetarian bollocks as that's all I can cook. :(

Going to my mam's this year though and I'm reliably informed that turkey & gammon are on the menu, with all the trimmings of course. Looking forward to it.

The last couple of years I've made it so we've had beef/vegetarian bollocks as that's all I can cook. <_<

Going to my mam's this year though and I'm reliably informed that turkey & gammon are on the menu, with all the trimmings of course. Looking forward to it.

Bulls balls for Christmas?

Sounds offal :(

I'm going to the fella's family for Christmas for the first time, so I'll take whatever I'm given and I'll like it.

Should be as trad as it comes though, which is good. I can have poncey stuff the rest of the year. :(

Edited by Meenzer

I'm going to the fella's family for Christmas for the first time, so I'll take whatever I'm given and I'll like it.

Should be as trad as it comes though, which is good. I can have poncey stuff the rest of the year. :(

Stuffing balls? <_<

Should be as trad as it comes though, which is good. I can have poncey stuff the rest of the year. <_<

Stuffing balls? :lol:

Spicy chipolatas. :(

The last couple of years I've made it so we've had beef/vegetarian bollocks as that's all I can cook. :lol:

Bulls balls for Christmas?

Sounds offal :(

:yahoo:

Thankfully Himself has seen the light and is no longer a veggie twat so no more of that rubbish. <_<

Are we a board full of Turkey Tradionalists or do we have Culinary Christmas adventurers amongst us.

Whilst I will give anything a try 364 days of the year, Christmas dinner means Turkey and all the trimmings in the Fist household.

Roasties, pigs in blankets, roast parsnips, swede mash, sprouts and bacon, buttered carrots, peas, stuffing......

You get the picture.

Whilst I am in the trad camp spiritually, it's impossible to do the full monty in the middle of summer. I expect we'll be going trendy - booze and canapes for 11'ses, followed by full on BBQ and lots of interesting salads, etc. Pud will be pavlova and cheesecake I expect. We should have 12 people for lunch at least (invited, not being eaten).

You get the picture.

Whilst I am in the trad camp spiritually, it's impossible to do the full monty in the middle of summer. I expect we'll be going trendy - booze and canapes for 11'ses, followed by full on BBQ and lots of interesting salads, etc. Pud will be pavlova and cheesecake I expect. We should have 12 people for lunch at least (invited, not being eaten).

Being upside down is a valid excuse for not going trad.

I would still have to have pigs in blankets though, even if I was tied to the Wailing Wall.

You get the picture.

I would still have to have pigs in blankets though, even if I was tied to the Wailing Wall.

You're right, pigs in blanket are the shizzle! They will be on the menu, by order of Mr Fist.

You get the picture.

You're right, pigs in blanket are the shizzle! They will be on the menu, by order of Mr Fist.

This makes me far happier than it really should. :(

Ill be on me todd again this year, so off to the gym followed by a nice small roast for myself <_<

Is that a joke ?

Shirley the gym is closed on Chrimbo day?

Nee Marra

Open all Xmas nee closing. There isnt any staff on like and some of the stuff is locked up but the cardio stuff is open etc :(

I'm having the in-laws over again this year. Not going Trad as neither myself or Mrs Paws are fans of Turkey Dinners.

I'm cooking (as usual) and this year the menu is:

Starter - Creamy Carrot & Coriander Soup with a sprig of Parsley as Mrs Paws can't eat her favorite types of fish at the minute.

Main - Roast Fillet of Beef wrapped in Proscutio Ham and Porcini Mushrooms in red wine accompanied with the more Trad: Pig in Blankets, roasties (using Semolina), carrots, sude mash, peas, roast parsnips and stuffing (Sage & Lemon Thyme & another one I cant remember).

Sweet: Bread & Butter Pudding (my all time fave) but made with Italian Pannatone and Rum soaked rasins <_<

Eat your heart out Hugh Fernley-Nostrilstal and Jamie 'Bad Boy' Oliver (although the main course comes from one of his books :yahoo: ).

Xmas day breakfast is a slightly tweaked menu this year for Mrs Paws. We'll have to forego the trad smoked slamon and scrambled eggs with Champagne and she'll be having Cooked smoked salmon with eggs and a champagne spritzer (cant believe I'm going to add lemonade to the Champage I've bought - still, needs must). As I hate fish, I'm having Sausages from my local butcher with black pudding in them, scrambled eggs and undiluted champagne :lol:

Poncy-tastic :(

Not decided what I'll be cooking on New Years yet.