Trendy or Trad?

Monkeys Fist

I'll bring the Mateus Rose.

Dont worry, I've got some Piesporter in for you. I know how you like it :icon_lol: MF promised he'd bring the Black Tower too.

<_<

A mate of mine swears this is quality wine- had it on the tables at his wedding !

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm cooking goose today (for me Mrs P and P Jnr) with all the trimmings. nb use goose fat to moisten the roast potatoes with for th final 20 min.

Mrs P's parents for another Xmas dinner tomorrow.

Coating your roasties in Semolina gives them a lovely slightly sweet crunchy-ness to them.

Bollocks, that reminds me - I forgot to buy semolina last night. Supermarkets are chaos today according to the rock radio. Reports of people being stuck in carparks cos they are so busy. Same for retail parks too, so you're fucked if you haven't finished your shopping yet.

Fucking idiots don't realise the shops are only closed for one day.

I'm cooking goose today (for me Mrs P and P Jnr) with all the trimmings. nb use goose fat to moisten the roast potatoes with for th final 20 min.

Coating your roasties in Semolina gives them a lovely slightly sweet crunchy-ness to them.

Bollocks, that reminds me - I forgot to buy semolina last night. Supermarkets are chaos today according to the rock radio. Reports of people being stuck in carparks cos they are so busy. Same for retail parks too, so you're fucked if you haven't finished your shopping yet.

I was cursing all the idiots myself yesterday. Until I realised, I was one of them.

I'm having the in-laws over again this year. Not going Trad as neither myself or Mrs Paws are fans of Turkey Dinners.

I'm cooking (as usual) and this year the menu is:

Starter - Creamy Carrot & Coriander Soup with a sprig of Parsley as Mrs Paws can't eat her favorite types of fish at the minute.

Main - Roast Fillet of Beef wrapped in Proscutio Ham and Porcini Mushrooms in red wine accompanied with the more Trad: Pig in Blankets, roasties (using Semolina), carrots, sude mash, peas, roast parsnips and stuffing (Sage & Lemon Thyme & another one I cant remember).

Sweet: Bread & Butter Pudding (my all time fave) but made with Italian Pannatone and Rum soaked rasins :icon_lol:

Eat your heart out Hugh Fernley-Nostrilstal and Jamie 'Bad Boy' Oliver (although the main course comes from one of his books :icon_lol: ).

Xmas day breakfast is a slightly tweaked menu this year for Mrs Paws. We'll have to forego the trad smoked slamon and scrambled eggs with Champagne and she'll be having Cooked smoked salmon with eggs and a champagne spritzer (cant believe I'm going to add lemonade to the Champage I've bought - still, needs must). As I hate fish, I'm having Sausages from my local butcher with black pudding in them, scrambled eggs and undiluted champagne :icon_lol:

Poncy-tastic <_<

Not decided what I'll be cooking on New Years yet.

I made a Bread and Butter pudding made with Pannatone raisin bread the other day, delicious! I add alittle cream AND evaporated milk too.....piggy-tastic!

Christmas day I will be cooking beef with red wine and redcurrant jelly gravy with roast honey and mustard parsnips, mashed swede and carrots, savoy cabbage, pigs in blankets and yorkshires oh and of course roast potatoes.....yum!! We have xmas pudding, bot normally have a light dessert like mandarins in vodka/orange jelly with meringue and clotted cream!

I'm leaving Toon now- set me a place.

I'll bring half a pound of Tesco Basics Cheddar for after.

Your place is set, dont get stuck in the snow though! :icon_lol:

I'm having the in-laws over again this year. Not going Trad as neither myself or Mrs Paws are fans of Turkey Dinners.

Starter - Creamy Carrot & Coriander Soup with a sprig of Parsley as Mrs Paws can't eat her favorite types of fish at the minute.

Main - Roast Fillet of Beef wrapped in Proscutio Ham and Porcini Mushrooms in red wine accompanied with the more Trad: Pig in Blankets, roasties (using Semolina), carrots, sude mash, peas, roast parsnips and stuffing (Sage & Lemon Thyme & another one I cant remember).

Sweet: Bread & Butter Pudding (my all time fave) but made with Italian Pannatone and Rum soaked rasins <_<

Eat your heart out Hugh Fernley-Nostrilstal and Jamie 'Bad Boy' Oliver (although the main course comes from one of his books :blush: ).

Xmas day breakfast is a slightly tweaked menu this year for Mrs Paws. We'll have to forego the trad smoked slamon and scrambled eggs with Champagne and she'll be having Cooked smoked salmon with eggs and a champagne spritzer (cant believe I'm going to add lemonade to the Champage I've bought - still, needs must). As I hate fish, I'm having Sausages from my local butcher with black pudding in them, scrambled eggs and undiluted champagne :icon_lol:

Poncy-tastic :icon_lol:

I made a Bread and Butter pudding made with Pannatone raisin bread the other day, delicious! I add alittle cream AND evaporated milk too.....piggy-tastic!

Christmas day I will be cooking beef with red wine and redcurrant jelly gravy with roast honey and mustard parsnips, mashed swede and carrots, savoy cabbage, pigs in blankets and yorkshires oh and of course roast potatoes.....yum!! We have xmas pudding, bot normally have a light dessert like mandarins in vodka/orange jelly with meringue and clotted cream!

Oh good. I've never tried it before and tbh the pud is Mrs Paws idea. I'd planned on using cream but wouldn't have thought of the evaporated milk. Might see if I can get some this afternoon.

Cheers for the tip :icon_lol:

Your mustard parsnips sound canny too. Might have to try that one out too :icon_lol:

Yes the parsnips are gorgeous with olive oil, honey, mustard and alittle black pepper rubbed into them.

I was cursing all the idiots myself yesterday. Until I realised, I was one of them.

No problem if you're just doing your normal Christmas food shopping but some people buy 3 trolleys worth of food as if the shops will be shut for two weeks!

Well we're into boxing day in NZ. Xmas morning we had 16 people over for 11-ses with the sun splitting the stones. Bruschetta/pesto, smoked salmon/soda bread and satay chicken from the bbq, washed down with bucks fizz. Got quite drunk so we all went for a swim in the sea and lay on the beach for an hour or two to pull round..

Xmas tea was roast lamb, finished on the bbq, bbq fish, potato salad (with horseradish, creme fraiche and bacon), cucumber salad with rice wine dressing and avocado/spring onion/chilli salad with balsamic dressing. Followed by strawberry pavlova. Sat out boozing till late, now hung over.

About as un-trad as I've ever got! Hope you all had a fab one. Did the Queen say anything interesting?

Well we're into boxing day in NZ. Xmas morning we had 16 people over for 11-ses with the sun splitting the stones. Bruschetta/pesto, smoked salmon/soda bread and satay chicken from the bbq, washed down with bucks fizz. Got quite drunk so we all went for a swim in the sea and lay on the beach for an hour or two to pull round..

Xmas tea was roast lamb, finished on the bbq, bbq fish, potato salad (with horseradish, creme fraiche and bacon), cucumber salad with rice wine dressing and avocado/spring onion/chilli salad with balsamic dressing. Followed by strawberry pavlova. Sat out boozing till late, now hung over.

About as un-trad as I've ever got! Hope you all had a fab one. Did the Queen say anything interesting?

Usual shit , banging on about her horrible anus.

My day was the direct opposite to yours, food & climate wise.

However, surrounded by family, totally relaxed, and superb.

Enjoy Boxing Day mate.

2-0 to us I reckon.

:icon_lol:

Canny meal today. Not enough booze though. Doing it all again tomorrow with the other half of the family but going out to a pub, so [a] can order something that isn't turkey, and can get on the lash. :icon_lol:

Sweet: Bread & Butter Pudding (my all time fave) but made with Italian Pannatone and Rum soaked rasins <_<

Eat your heart out Hugh Fernley-Nostrilstal and Jamie 'Bad Boy' Oliver (although the main course comes from one of his books :blush: ).

Poncy-tastic :icon_lol:

Oh good. I've never tried it before and tbh the pud is Mrs Paws idea. I'd planned on using cream but wouldn't have thought of the evaporated milk. Might see if I can get some this afternoon.

Cheers for the tip :icon_lol:

Your mustard parsnips sound canny too. Might have to try that one out too :icon_lol:

Yes the parsnips are gorgeous with olive oil, honey, mustard and alittle black pepper rubbed into them.

There is really nothing quite like roasted parsnips....Germans stunned by them.

Did some wierdo mention putting semolina on his roast potatoes or did I imagine it? :icon_lol:

We're not talking Ambrosia here, proper semolina powder. I boiled the potatoes, let them drain for a few minutes, sprinkled on a tablespoon of semolina powder, gave them a good shake and cooked them in duck fat. Spot on!

I think Nigella or Heston Blumenthal or Tom Parker-Bowles does it. Adds to the surface area and makes them more crunchy.

I also did a tray of carrots & parsnips lightly fried in butter and ground nut oil, then roasted with fresh sage and wedges of red onion. A triumph, even if I do say so myself.

Usual shit , banging on about her horrible anus.

My day was the direct opposite to yours, food & climate wise.

However, surrounded by family, totally relaxed, and superb.

Enjoy Boxing Day mate.

2-0 to us I reckon.

<_<

Cheers mate and the same to you. You were half right with the score!

All this talk of food on here is making me hungry again. Pigs in blankets anyone? :icon_lol: