Flying - safer than ever?

Rob W

Fight International recently published the accident breakdown for 2009

Only 5 scheduled passenger flights resulted in fatal accidents and only 2 of those killed everyone on board (Air France being the main one)

There were another 7 fatal accidents on commuter and regional airlines but only one of those was in the "Western" world (Buffalo USA) and only 3 of these killed all on board

Pretty amazing when you think about it

Flew back from NY on the A380 last week, in Business too. Was lersh.

[show off]

Green with envy here. Does the 380 have a proper bar you can walk to if you're business class?

I would love, just the once, not to be cramped in cattle class with some twat reclining in front of me for 10 hours. Best transatlantic I've had was with American Airlines on a 777. A lot of leg room even in economy. Think you were only allowed two drinks though!

[show off]

Green with envy here. Does the 380 have a proper bar you can walk to if you're business class?

I would love, just the once, not to be cramped in cattle class with some twat reclining in front of me for 10 hours. Best transatlantic I've had was with American Airlines on a 777. A lot of leg room even in economy. Think you were only allowed two drinks though!

At the end of the upstairs cabin, there was a huge staircase going down to Premier class (9 beds with a Rob W per passenger). Just next to the staircase, was an open space with a big round sofa/bench thing.They served you drinks there directly. Not a bar but the internal specs are different for each airline, apparently the Singapore Airline 380s are the plushest.

In flight entertainment on a 20 inch screen with OSX powering it. Camera on the tail fin in HD for take off and landing.

[show off]

At the end of the upstairs cabin, there was a huge staircase going down to Premier class (9 beds with a Rob W per passenger). Just next to the staircase, was an open space with a big round sofa/bench thing.They served you drinks there directly. Not a bar but the internal specs are different for each airline, apparently the Singapore Airline 380s are the plushest.

In flight entertainment on a 20 inch screen with OSX powering it. Camera on the tail fin in HD for take off and landing.

It's a beautiful plane. My Turkish mate Ugur was one of the chief designers.

[show off]

Emirates 380 is pretty smart 'n aalll - but people are planning ones with 700 pax in an all slave layout

Edited by Rob W

why are people afraid of flying? surely it would be wiser to be afraid of crashing

oddly enough around 50% of the people who are afraid of flying are worried about the flying bit............... not buying the farm

seems to be related to a fear that you are not in control ..........

why are people afraid of flying? surely it would be wiser to be afraid of crashing

oddly enough around 50% of the people who are afraid of flying are worried about the flying bit............... not buying the farm

Source? I suspect that nearly everyone who is afraid of flying is using it as a proxy for fear of dying. I can't control a train but have no problem getting on one.

I have a fear of flying that developed around the time of Lockerbie. I have no idea what exactly triggered it.

Up until this time I had flow on many types of planes, including little two seaters, all with pleasure and no fear.

Over the years this has also to a lesser degree being joined by trains and being a back seat passenger in a two door car.

I have often felt this is a not being in control issue, however death does play a major part.

But.....

It can't just be a death thing as there are numerous other situations like riding a lift that don't worry me.

That would suggest that I trust the mechanics but not the controller.

I do still fly but only with either blockers or lashings of alcohol (which puts in danger of being the hoax bomb prick)

every now and again I think I'm cured but I'm not.

I hate flying (bad experience) and I've seen too many episodes of Air Crash Investigation. :wank:

That said, a lass from work is about to start a new job with Emirates and it sounds pretty cushty. Shame I'd need to be on valium constantly.

I have a fear of flying that developed around the time of Lockerbie. I have no idea what exactly triggered it.

Up until this time I had flow on many types of planes, including little two seaters, all with pleasure and no fear.

Over the years this has also to a lesser degree being joined by trains and being a back seat passenger in a two door car.

I have often felt this is a not being in control issue, however death does play a major part.

But.....

It can't just be a death thing as there are numerous other situations like riding a lift that don't worry me.

That would suggest that I trust the mechanics but not the controller.

I do still fly but only with either blockers or lashings of alcohol (which puts in danger of being the hoax bomb prick)

every now and again I think I'm cured but I'm not.

could the answer lie in the first sentence?

Source? I suspect that nearly everyone who is afraid of flying is using it as a proxy for fear of dying. I can't control a train but have no problem getting on one.

some airline flight magazine I was reading whilst waiting for the hostie to refill may champagne glass I think

Was on the A380 myself the other week, good, even in cattle class, the USB port in the seat was a nice touch. Decided to upgrade on the way back to check out the business class but was stuck on a fucking ancient 777.

777 is not ancient dear boy - 747 reached 40 last week and there are still even older 727's and 707's around in places.................... I think all the 720's have gone thank God

Way to jinx them Rob.

Ethiopian Airlines jet crashes into sea off Beirut

An Ethiopian Airlines passenger plane with 89 people on board has crashed into the Mediterranean Sea shortly after take-off from Beirut airport.

Eyewitnesses say they saw a ball of fire in the sky before Addis Ababa-bound Flight ET409 fell into the sea after taking off in stormy weather.

At least nine bodies have been found, and the airline's chief executive said there was no word of survivors.

Most of those on board were Lebanese or Ethiopian. There were also two Britons.

The other passengers included citizens of Turkey, France, Russia, Canada, Syria and Iraq, Ethiopian Airlines said in a statement on its website.

Among them was the wife of the French ambassador in Beirut, Marla Pietton.

The plane, a Boeing 737-800, was carrying 80 passengers, including small children, and nine crew. This model can seat 189 passengers.

It disappeared from radar screens some five minutes after take-off in stormy weather at about 0200 local time, near the village of Naameh, about 3.5km (2 miles) from the coast.

'Flash in the sky'

The BBC's Natalia Antelava, in Beirut, reports that the Lebanese transport minister and other officials say a rescue operation including helicopters and naval ships is now under way, but it is unclear if there are any survivors.

The United Nations peacekeeping operation in Lebanon has sent three ships and two helicopters.

In pictures: Lebanon plane crash

An investigative team has been dispatched to the scene, Ethiopian Airlines said.

The cause of the crash was not immediately clear, but the plane took off in a heavy rainstorm.

Lebanese President Michel Suleiman said foul play was not suspected.

"As of now, a sabotage act is unlikely. The investigation will uncover the cause," he said.

"The weather conditions are terrible, but rescue efforts are still under way."

A witness , Abdel Mahdi Salaneh, told the BBC he saw the plane fall into the sea in flames.

"We saw a flash in the sky...," he said. We saw a flash over the sea and it was the plane falling. The weather was really bad, it was all thunder and rain."

The BBC's Will Ross in Nairobi says the crash is likely to invite comparisons with the Kenya Airways crash in Cameroon in 2007, in which 114 people died.

Both incidents involved Boeing 737-800 aircraft taking off in bad weather.

Relatives of the passengers have begun arriving at the airport.

Ethiopia and Lebanon share close business ties, and thousands of Ethiopians are employed as domestic helpers in Lebanon.

Fleet expanding

Ethiopian Airlines operates a regular flight between Addis Ababa and Beirut.

Our correspondent says that along with South African and Kenya Airways, Ethiopian Airlines is widely considered to be among sub-Saharan Africa's best operators.

And on a continent with a history of national airlines folding often due to reckless financial mismanagement, he says, Ethiopian Airlines is expanding its fleet and was the first African airline to order the world's largest commercial passenger plane - the Boeing 787 Dreamliner.

It has also just announced the purchase of another 10 737-800s, at a cost of $750m.

Its last major crash was in 1996, when a hijacked Nairobi-Addis Ababa plane was ditched into the sea off the Comoros Islands after running out of fuel.

One hundred and twenty-three of the 175 people on board were killed.

I'm a terrible flyer.

I litterally spend all my time in the airport pre flight shitting myself and spend take off with my head in my hands. Any turbulence and I'm thinking the worst. It think its a mix of claustraphobia and crashing (I dont think watching Air Crash Investigation helps)

I've never actually flown long haul and the idea terrifies me, but my old man lives in Sri Lanka and I wouldnt mind visiting at some point.

Has anyone ever cured there fear of flying?

I'm a terrible flyer.

I litterally spend all my time in the airport pre flight shitting myself and spend take off with my head in my hands. Any turbulence and I'm thinking the worst. It think its a mix of claustraphobia and crashing (I dont think watching Air Crash Investigation helps)

I've never actually flown long haul and the idea terrifies me, but my old man lives in Sri Lanka and I wouldnt mind visiting at some point.

Has anyone ever cured there fear of flying?

This is a big no no for the likes of us. Because of my fear I would always watch this program to sort of "prove my fear right" :)

Its getting worse as well because of muslims with exploding underpants and also in these cost sensitive times, I have a sneaky feeling that airlines will be cutting back on servicing etc and trying to get an extra 20,000 air miles out of a dodgy wing. :razz: