Wisdom teeth

Craig

What fucking purpose do they have? Apart from causing you intense amounts of pain and cost you oodles of unecessary cash?

Woke up at 1pm with a feeling I can only assume is akin to chomping down on a live electrical wire. Threw up because of the pain, took some nurofen and liberally applied some Orajel over it before finally being able to relax and get back to sleep..... only for it all to happen once again at 4am! B)

I don't currently have a dentist as every time I've tried to register, they tell me they're no longer taking registrations so I rang NHS Direct when I got to work and asked for an emergency dentist appointment. They sorted one out but as i'd just taken my third bout of nurofen in 6 hours, they told me I could take no more for another 18 hours! ;)

Got to the appointment, dentist took a quick look and said yep, it's loose and it's infected. Nothing we can do until you've taken a course of antibiotics and then I'd need to register with an NHS Dentist for the extraction... ;)

So now I'm on:

Amoxicillin 500mg - One tablet 3 times a day

Co-codamol 500mg - 2 tablets 4 times a day

Orajel Extra Strength Benzocaine 20% w/w - as and when I need it.

Can any of you medical bods out there please confirm whether or not I've devised a cocktail here that's going to end up doing me more damage than good and if you've got any better suggestions, I'm all ears....

What fucking purpose do they have? Apart from causing you intense amounts of pain and cost you oodles of unecessary cash?

Woke up at 1pm with a feeling I can only assume is akin to chomping down on a live electrical wire. Threw up because of the pain, took some nurofen and liberally applied some Orajel over it before finally being able to relax and get back to sleep..... only for it all to happen once again at 4am! B)

I don't currently have a dentist as every time I've tried to register, they tell me they're no longer taking registrations so I rang NHS Direct when I got to work and asked for an emergency dentist appointment. They sorted one out but as i'd just taken my third bout of nurofen in 6 hours, they told me I could take no more for another 18 hours! ;)

Got to the appointment, dentist took a quick look and said yep, it's loose and it's infected. Nothing we can do until you've taken a course of antibiotics and then I'd need to register with an NHS Dentist for the extraction... ;)

So now I'm on:

Can any of you medical bods out there please confirm whether or not I've devised a cocktail here that's going to end up doing me more damage than good and if you've got any better suggestions, I'm all ears....

That is pretty standard treatment Craig. You can probably combine the co-codamol with ibuprofen if you've had no problems with it before (e.g. wheezing). I would combine them if it were me, should help with the pain. You'll need the tooth removed, as you have been advised.

This particular tooth's removal doesn't bother me. The one on the other side that's crumbled away to fuck all however does. Suspect they're going to have to cut into my gum for that one... ;)

Cheers Renton - may take your advice and alternate. I've no problem with getting registered and having it removed if only I could find some fucker who will register me!! ;)

Woke up at 1pm with a feeling I can only assume is akin to chomping down on a live electrical wire. Threw up because of the pain, took some nurofen and liberally applied some Orajel over it before finally being able to relax and get back to sleep..... only for it all to happen once again at 4am! :icon_lol:

So now I'm on:

That is pretty standard treatment Craig. You can probably combine the co-codamol with ibuprofen if you've had no problems with it before (e.g. wheezing). I would combine them if it were me, should help with the pain. You'll need the tooth removed, as you have been advised.

Amoxicillin is a standard anti-biotic.

Orajel- 'nuff said.

Co-codamol seems to be a codeine/ acetaminophen (paracetamol) mix kinda like how they do oxycontin over here. Too much acetaminophen can cause liver failure (which is part of the reason it is so often mixed with opiods- it helps to scare people into not taking large amounts), so don't take more than the recommended dosages. As little as 2,000 mg of acetaminophen can cause liver damage in someone who drinks regularly. Don't know how well it mixes with ibuprofen, but if you really need some pain relief and only have the tools above at your disposal, google "cold water extraction" and give that a go. B)

Edited by Cid_MCDP

Woke up at 1pm with a feeling I can only assume is akin to chomping down on a live electrical wire. Threw up because of the pain, took some nurofen and liberally applied some Orajel over it before finally being able to relax and get back to sleep..... only for it all to happen once again at 4am! :icon_lol:

So now I'm on:

Orajel- 'nuff said.

Co-codamol seems to be a codeine/ acetaminophen (paracetamol) mix kinda like how they do oxycontin over here. Too much acetaminophen can cause liver failure (which is part of the reason it is so often mixed with opiods- it helps to scare people into not taking large amounts), so don't take more than the recommended dosages. As little as 2,000 mg of acetaminophen can cause liver damage in someone who drinks regularly. Don't know how well it mixes with ibuprofen, but if you really need some pain relief and only have the tools above at your disposal, google "jamaican gold" and give that a go. :icon_lol:

FYP.... B)

Edited by tooner

So now I'm on:

Orajel- 'nuff said.

Co-codamol seems to be a codeine/ acetaminophen (paracetamol) mix kinda like how they do oxycontin over here. Too much acetaminophen can cause liver failure (which is part of the reason it is so often mixed with opiods- it helps to scare people into not taking large amounts), so don't take more than the recommended dosages. As little as 2,000 mg of acetaminophen can cause liver damage in someone who drinks regularly. Don't know how well it mixes with ibuprofen, but if you really need some pain relief and only have the tools above at your disposal, google "jamaican gold" and give that a go. :icon_lol:

FYP.... B)

:icon_lol:

That's the funny thing about looking for this new job, on one hand I'm nervous where ever I end up might test more than here, but on the other hand, this job is the main reason i self-medicate. I never really did drugs until I got this gig and the stress of being on call 24/7 and everything being my fault started to get to me...

Brush your teeth, you manky bamp!

Me? ;) Have done twice a day since I was a kid hence why I haven't had one ounce of toothache until this...