Terry sacked as captain

Guest Stevie

Nice to see a few England fans on here, or so it appears, rather than usual I'd rather we won an offside decision than England win the World Cup.

We probably do live in a bubble more than most cities, probably due to location and our unique identity. That doesn't mean that we're not English, we are, and we fought to preserve this city as English, we've played a big part in this countries footballing heritage, maybe 20% of the footballing heritage if not more comes from Newcastle and Sunderland and its' surrounds and that's disproportionate. I'm talking about players here, for me 5 of the best 6 English players of the last 25 year come from within 8 mile of the toon. So England's heritage is our heritage. We should support England, not like those scruffy tramps from the North West, nearly all mugs and they are, accents, people, life, Man Utd started this anti England thing when they were starting to get good, and the scousers copied them.

Used to think that myself-was always proud of it, even when the club were shit it was evident that the best players came from the region.

Bit of an 80's-to-mid 90's thing though tbh as it's turned out.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Remember Ferdinand is the cock who thought it a good idea to do a TV program winding up his team-mates before the last WC. More leadership skills in a Frenchman's arsehole.

Aye, because that piece of good natured (albeit desperately unfunny) light entertainment really crushed the team's morale, didn't it? ;)

Nice to see a few England fans on here, or so it appears, rather than usual I'd rather we won an offside decision than England win the World Cup.

We probably do live in a bubble more than most cities, probably due to location and our unique identity. That doesn't mean that we're not English, we are, and we fought to preserve this city as English, we've played a big part in this countries footballing heritage, maybe 20% of the footballing heritage if not more comes from Newcastle and Sunderland and its' surrounds and that's disproportionate. I'm talking about players here, for me 5 of the best 6 English players of the last 25 year come from within 8 mile of the toon. So England's heritage is our heritage. We should support England, not like those scruffy tramps from the North West, nearly all mugs and they are, accents, people, life, Man Utd started this anti England thing when they were starting to get good, and the scousers copied them.

Fair enough... I used to support England when I was a bairn - when it was WC or Euro time I remember the excitement would be as much as for the Toon, but just can't get excited about it now, haven't for a few years. When KK was manager and Shearer was captain I always wanted England to do win cos I wanted glory for those two - I was proud of them - but thats the last time I really felt any connection. I'm not anti English by any means, but I just can't get worked up when I watch the England football team. Lived in the South for nearly 9 years and watching England matches in the pub during those years, I just never used to feel much connection either to the team or most of the other blokes cheering for England.

As for Terry, he's just like most of the other top players now, isn't he. Wouldn't like to have a pint with any of them, but might as well be him captain as one of the others... another little victory for the tabloid scum, thats all.

Our world cup won't won or lost by who's captain, it'll be down to which of the players really want to play and win for their country rather than be overpaid, celebrity arseholes.

Terry's a wanker, if anyone's whinging about him being dropped as captain possibly derailing the campaign they should consider that he's the one that did the dirty deed in the first place. If anyone's to blame for this situation it's him for knobbing his co-worker's partners.

On a side note, some teams will win cups via any means possible but I stick by the team who plays the game properly and behave as gentlemen, if we're going to win stuff I'd rather see it done properly (the same way that Brian Clough said that he wanted to better Don Revie's achievements at Leeds by winning without being a bunch of dirty bastards) - winning can be done with skill and professionalism imo.

In the context of a football team I would be the first person to say ie agree with Meenzer that its the team on the field that counts and so I see his point. However the captain of a team, and especially the captain of England is a huge honour and as such carries big responsibilities which John Terry has either been unable to grasp or just doesn't care about.

Team spirit is massive in football. Go back to when I defended Craig Bellamy for being a bit of a gobshite, but he did it on the pitch, he also wasn't captain, most of his team mates recognised he was a massively important player. There is nothing to stop John Terry to continue playing for England if he is motivated enough [should be but if losing the captaincy affects him then he would have to be dropped]. Having an affair with a team mates wife etc is much different to being a gobshite, far different. Capello is right to have sacked him, he is setting down standards.

I don't know who I think should be captain, I would prefer Rooney to concentrate on playing upfront and I think captains are for the most part better suited to defenders or midfield players.

;)

oh dear.

what dear?

you showing your girly side again :D

In the context of a football team I would be the first person to say ie agree with Meenzer that its the team on the field that counts and so I see his point. However the captain of a team, and especially the captain of England is a huge honour and as such carries big responsibilities which John Terry has either been unable to grasp or just doesn't care about.

Team spirit is massive in football. Go back to when I defended Craig Bellamy for being a bit of a gobshite, but he did it on the pitch, he also wasn't captain, most of his team mates recognised he was a massively important player. There is nothing to stop John Terry to continue playing for England if he is motivated enough [should be but if losing the captaincy affects him then he would have to be dropped]. Having an affair with a team mates wife etc is much different to being a gobshite, far different. Capello is right to have sacked him, he is setting down standards.

I don't know who I think should be captain, I would prefer Rooney to concentrate on playing upfront and I think captains are for the most part better suited to defenders or midfield players.

;)

oh dear.

what dear?

you showing your girly side again :D

And the lols just keep coming.

How many have seen England play I wonder, and how often ?

I've seen England 14 times off the top of my head including France 98 and Euro 2000, though haven't seen them at Wembley since 2000 when Germany beat us 0-1. Some scouse mug beside me asking me why I hated Hamann so much.

Anyone who thinks the captaincy of England is important is a fucking cock, Capello included.

As far as the image of the side is concerned the captain is important.

Captains often reflect the nature of a society, take Maradona, wonderfully creative but ultimately a glutonous, corrupt, cheating, choatic life cunt, and you could use all the words to describe Argentina and Argentines.

Aye, but he won the World Cup. You reckon anyone in England would really sacrifice that in favour of a more societally representative captain?

No. My point is its important for your captain to convey a positive message, Beckham was always an icon, but it went to another level when he was made captain and he was a good ambassador, he even helped us win the Olympics. Look at Bobby Moore "gawd rest 'is soww", a brilliant man by all accounts, family bloke had a good life and battled bravely with cancer. You didn't hear about him being a tit like Jimmy Greaves etc... People look up to captains whether you like it or not. Bryan Robson another fantastic example.

Hence suggesting a granny-shagging, WAG-worshipping worky-ticket as the ideal successor to these legends of the game?

(I like Rooney and would have nowt against him as captain, for what it's worth, but you can spin stuff whichever way you want...)

Granny shaggin when he was 18? Did you not make mistakes as a teenager? Probably fuckin stuck in your 6th form common room till 8pm every neet.

You'd have a fucking heart attack if you knew just how wrong that was. Which isn't to say that I wasn't making all kinds of mistakes at the time. ;)

Of course I take your point though. I honestly want the best for England, but I freely admit to being a gloryhunter when it comes to the national team - I'll support "us" as long as we're doing well, but I'll not lose any sleep when we hit the usual glass ceiling and crash out in a blaze of tabloid navel-gazing.

FFS, gordon brown putting his opinion in

why does he have to comment on every thing that goes on? has he nothing else to do?

Pretty big story in England tbf. Election coming up...

why does he have to comment on every thing that goes on? has he nothing else to do?

What the fuck's the England team got to do with a jock?

Nothing against you andrew, even if you dolook like happy face but if Burnley played the toon, your home Hovis bread, BNP voters with scars town, how could you support us above them???????????

I'm surprised there's so much negativity around your national side(not on here, I might add).

I find England a very exciting team, always have. They must be in the top 6 favourites for every competitionband with top class players.

I suppose people are jaded from combination of underachievement and off-field crap.

Our national team suffers from years of overachievement and a batch of pretty shit players.

I'm sure it was just a question he was asked rather than something Brown brought up himself like. Then the press report it as Brown wading into the debate. Fucking bored to tears with all this already.

Robson, Beardsley, Shearer, Gazza and....

Robson, Beardsley, Shearer, Gazza and....

The first English player to come in the top 3 of European Footballer of year award vote after Heysel. Chris Waddle.

Anyone who thinks the captaincy of England is important is a fucking cock, Capello included.

As far as the image of the side is concerned the captain is important.

Captains often reflect the nature of a society, take Maradona, wonderfully creative but ultimately a glutonous, corrupt, cheating, choatic life cunt, and you could use all the words to describe Argentina and Argentines.

Aye, but he won the World Cup. You reckon anyone in England would really sacrifice that in favour of a more societally representative captain?

No. My point is its important for your captain to convey a positive message, Beckham was always an icon, but it went to another level when he was made captain and he was a good ambassador, he even helped us win the Olympics. Look at Bobby Moore "gawd rest 'is soww", a brilliant man by all accounts, family bloke had a good life and battled bravely with cancer. You didn't hear about him being a tit like Jimmy Greaves etc... People look up to captains whether you like it or not. Bryan Robson another fantastic example.

yeh look at the cunt...left his first wife for an air hostess he met on an England trip ;)

the only difference between then and now is back then you could often find half the sports journos on Fleet Street out on the piss with the England team......look at how the media treat the England players nowadays :D

I might be wrong here, but was Bobby Moore arrested on England duty for stealing?

it was widely believed at the time that he had been setup, and was later proven to be the case. The people of Mexico were heavily behind Brazil to win the World Cup and England as holders were probably the 2nd best team in the world and their main challengers. Gordon Banks missed the quarter final against West Germany because he got food poisoning, nothing has ever been proven but it is possible that it could have been deliberately inflicted on him.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/onthisday/hi/dates/s...000/4537235.stm

I remember hearing that about Moore now. Never heard that about Banks though.

it is why Peter Bonetti played in goal against West Germany. England were 2-0 up, Ramsey subbed Bobby Charlton for ? (can't remember who] and it changed the game. The Germans had man marked Charlton with Beckanbaur but after the change pushed Beckanbuar forward and he scored the first goal which went under Bonetti and they won 3-2.

Man Utd started this anti England thing when they were starting to get good, and the scousers copied them.

Wouldn't argue with you that Man Utd started it, Stevie, but it was nowt to do with 'starting to get good'.

The anti England thing started after Beckham got sent off at the world cup and became a national hate figure for the country. Beckham was getting stick at every ground in the country, the England fans started singing anti Man Utd songs and even our beloved super soaraway Sun printed a centre spread of a dartboard with Beckham's head in the centre.

Club before country has always been the mantra for most football supporters in the country and Man Utd fans rallied round their own.