Things are looking up!

Flair

we will return to europe, we will once again sign quality players

Can I have a wrap of whatever you've been snorting?? In the real world, Ashley is never going to properly invest in NUFC. Theonly reward of football club ownership is public profile - no-one has ever made money out of the business, they've amassed their fortunes already.

Almost 3 years on it's crystal clear that Mike Ashley has still to grab that concept.

I wrap of patience and optimism maybe? Sure mate its free. :(

I dont think we will reach those heights with FMA unstairs NO but if we are sold in the summer following promotion then i can see us getting back on track to once again being a top side in the PL and europe but like i said...its a long long long way away.

NUFC has not died, and for sure NUFC wil NOT settle for being a CCC team nor a mid-table PL team for that matter.

It will happen....in time.

Save yourself the hassle mate and stop wondering - he may put us up for sale once more but without doubt we won't be sold.

You believe the fans of NUFC won't settle for being a CCC team or even a mid-table PL team but don't kid yourself that Ashley will mind. As has already been said, constant yo-yoing will result in parachute payments which means it'll be an amount of cash that FMA doesn't have to find himself.

• Replies 339
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

we will return to europe, we will once again sign quality players

Can I have a wrap of whatever you've been snorting?? In the real world, Ashley is never going to properly invest in NUFC. Theonly reward of football club ownership is public profile - no-one has ever made money out of the business, they've amassed their fortunes already.

Almost 3 years on it's crystal clear that Mike Ashley has still to grab that concept.

I wrap of patience and optimism maybe? Sure mate its free. :(

I dont think we will reach those heights with FMA unstairs NO but if we are sold in the summer following promotion then i can see us getting back on track to once again being a top side in the PL and europe but like i said...its a long long long way away.

NUFC has not died, and for sure NUFC wil NOT settle for being a CCC team nor a mid-table PL team for that matter.

It will happen....in time.

Save yourself the hassle mate and stop wondering - he may put us up for sale once more but without doubt we won't be sold.

You believe the fans of NUFC won't settle for being a CCC team or even a mid-table PL team but don't kid yourself that Ashley will mind. As has already been said, constant yo-yoing will result in parachute payments which means it'll be an amount of cash that FMA doesn't have to find himself.

Somewhat a cynical opinion but worryingly it could be true i know.

"If he had not done that, who knows what could have happened? The only other possible option would have been to have arranged an outside finance deal and the interest rate for that would have been around 20 per cent, which means you've lost another £5million straight away.

Twenty percent? Did they get that from Wonga.com?

Put the scoota in as collateral with ercean finance.

How is it an emergency loan when Ashley's the one who should be paying the bills anyway? I don't 'loan' myself the money to pay for the running of my fucking house every month?

How is it an emergency loan when Ashley's the one who should be paying the bills anyway? I don't 'loan' myself the money to pay for the running of my fucking house every month?

I assume because the club isnt self financing. Though how I'll never know.

Because we are in the CCC and revenue is alot less than what it would be in PL.

Yeah, but overheads are much lower, we get a support payments for dropping down and sold off a fair few players for decent cash? We had people pay for 3 seasons tickets giving good up front revenue, we've supposedly paid off / refinanced loans so we pay less interest and we still pull in 40k people per week. We've been on the TV more times than most teams this season also.

See my point?

Yeah, but overheads are much lower, we get a support payments for dropping down and sold off a fair few players for decent cash? We had people pay for 3 seasons tickets giving good up front revenue, we've supposedly paid off / refinanced loans so we pay less interest and we still pull in 40k people per week. We've been on the TV more times than most teams this season also.

See my point?

When you put it like that mate i agree completely tbh.

It then makes me ask why the fuck didnt we spend more in the window!?

Oh yeah because he's a cunt.

because if its an emergency loan then the money goes on to a list of the clubs debt and is actually owed back to ashley whether he leaves or not

If he sells up, any money loaned by Ashley would be settled as part of the sale (not necessarily at full face value)

because if its an emergency loan then the money goes on to a list of the clubs debt and is actually owed back to ashley whether he leaves or not

If he sells up, any money loaned by Ashley would be settled as part of the sale (not necessarily at full face value)

So in turn would we not then be debt free? or near enough?

Id agree. the current side would get taken apart by most premiership teams. I mean come on, we struggle against most top championship sides.

Hughton is the man that needs replacing once we go up and you will see a difference.

Only Carroll and Routledge havent had REGULAR PL or top league experience out of our 1st team tbh.

Routledge played a full season for crystal palace in the prem in 2005 i believe. was really good aswell for them as i recall.

I thought that but wasnt sure, that and how much he played for spurs.

Only backs my point that our 1st team by majority has the basis for a good PL team. Of course we neeed quality additions though.

By good i mean lower mid-table.

Top 4 = Brilliant

5-8 = Very good

9-12 = Good

13-16 = Decent

17-20 = Poor

Just my opinion...that team + GOOD manager + Financial backing = Good team :) Just my opinion :(

agree with all of your sentiments but tbf Routledge broke his foot(?) in his 1st pre season for spurs and that set him back big time. added to that you had the emergence of Aaron Lennon who was on fire that season. not saying he's a brilliant player (Routledge) but i reckon he's a low to mid prem level player easily which is pretty much the best we can hope for atm.

I really don't like bursting the bubble of those who have accepted lower standards but you are quite right.

Leazes mate i dont think ANYONE has accepted "lower standards" as you put it.

Do you honestly think anyone who calls themselves a newcastle fan is happywith seeing our side in the CCC, add to that do you think they like to see our club with an average "cheap" option manager and every window lookin for bargain basement signings? NO.

We all are typically an ambitious bunch, we all enjoy seeing ourside in the PL and CL, challenging the big clubs for quality signings and domestic cups....but we ALL know this is what it is...for now.

Relegation has given us a wake up call and the chance to build our club up from the bottom, long gone are the days of token signings like Owen and Luque like your mates signed and got us into financial difficulty.

And now we look to a future where we can build slowly and sensibly.

Villa and Everton and to some extent though i hate saying it Spurs should be the inspiration...if we even needed it.

We will return to the PL, we will return to europe, we will once again sign quality players but its going to be a long process...at least when we get there we will hopefully be able to sustain it.

You miss the point. I will never apologise for bringing up "my mates" [as you call them] where appropriate, which - again - is to point out that they in fact had the right idea for the majority of the time.

Go back to 2003, in fact go to January 2003. They had done very little wrong for 10 years and then they in fact did what the vast majority of people advocate, including you in the above post. They were in a position - actually superior to that of Villa and Everton now, as you quote. They bought Woodgate for 9m quid a top player to continue to progress, but didn't overspend as they had one eye on the budget and books. They were then slated in the summer for not spending more ie money they did not have . Which is exactly what you are saying needs to be done if we get back to that position again. Which will never happen under Mike Ashley by the way, and maybe not the next owner either but only time will tell.

In spite of this attempt to "move further" we slipped out of the Champions League places. What do you do then ? Continue "sensible spending" in the hope we get back in, or take a gamble and have a bigger shot at it ? This is exactly the position that the likes of Villa are in now. The point is, if you want to break into this elite band, and go further , then you must, must invest further. Villa may back O'Neill, if he spends badly will they then be criticised for "bad signings". If they do not back him, the will not, not go any further towards winning the premiership title. So what do you do ?

Fact is, when we were in that position, they attempted to kick in and go further. You shouldn't knock attempts to bring top players to the club like Michael Owen. He was one of the few players around capable of taking over from Shearer and such a move was necessary, if you lower your sights, you go backwards and downwards. Guaranteed.

And a lot of people on here have, in fact, accepted the [now] lower standards. Making optimistic noises about signing players who should never be good enough for NUFC proves it.

So in turn would we not then be debt free? or near enough?

Depends - look at Man Utd and Liverpool for example.

Big money football is fucked....... Wake up!

Do people really think there are buyers out there just waiting for us to get promoted?

Why wait for us? Why not buy Everton or any of the other clubs that are already up there?

All clubs in the prem without a mega rich benefactor are in danger of going tits up and this will only get worse in the coming years.

Ashley is not the owner we wanted, but is probably the owner we needed.

Apart from the catastrophic decisions made by Ashley, he's also responsible for signing all the high wage earners we have, isn't he? Just the owner we needed :(

Id agree. the current side would get taken apart by most premiership teams. I mean come on, we struggle against most top championship sides.

Hughton is the man that needs replacing once we go up and you will see a difference.

Only Carroll and Routledge havent had REGULAR PL or top league experience out of our 1st team tbh.

Routledge played a full season for crystal palace in the prem in 2005 i believe. was really good aswell for them as i recall.

Only backs my point that our 1st team by majority has the basis for a good PL team. Of course we neeed quality additions though.

Top 4 = Brilliant

5-8 = Very good

9-12 = Good

13-16 = Decent

17-20 = Poor

Just my opinion...that team + GOOD manager + Financial backing = Good team :) Just my opinion :(

agree with all of your sentiments but tbf Routledge broke his foot(?) in his 1st pre season for spurs and that set him back big time. added to that you had the emergence of Aaron Lennon who was on fire that season. not saying he's a brilliant player (Routledge) but i reckon he's a low to mid prem level player easily which is pretty much the best we can hope for atm.

I really don't like bursting the bubble of those who have accepted lower standards but you are quite right.

Do you honestly think anyone who calls themselves a newcastle fan is happywith seeing our side in the CCC, add to that do you think they like to see our club with an average "cheap" option manager and every window lookin for bargain basement signings? NO.

We all are typically an ambitious bunch, we all enjoy seeing ourside in the PL and CL, challenging the big clubs for quality signings and domestic cups....but we ALL know this is what it is...for now.

Relegation has given us a wake up call and the chance to build our club up from the bottom, long gone are the days of token signings like Owen and Luque like your mates signed and got us into financial difficulty.

Villa and Everton and to some extent though i hate saying it Spurs should be the inspiration...if we even needed it.

We will return to the PL, we will return to europe, we will once again sign quality players but its going to be a long process...at least when we get there we will hopefully be able to sustain it.

You miss the point. I will never apologise for bringing up "my mates" [as you call them] where appropriate, which - again - is to point out that they in fact had the right idea for the majority of the time.

Go back to 2003, in fact go to January 2003. They had done very little wrong for 10 years and then they in fact did what the vast majority of people advocate, including you in the above post. They were in a position - actually superior to that of Villa and Everton now, as you quote. They bought Woodgate for 9m quid a top player to continue to progress, but didn't overspend as they had one eye on the budget and books. They were then slated in the summer for not spending more ie money they did not have . Which is exactly what you are saying needs to be done if we get back to that position again. Which will never happen under Mike Ashley by the way, and maybe not the next owner either but only time will tell.

In spite of this attempt to "move further" we slipped out of the Champions League places. What do you do then ? Continue "sensible spending" in the hope we get back in, or take a gamble and have a bigger shot at it ? This is exactly the position that the likes of Villa are in now. The point is, if you want to break into this elite band, and go further , then you must, must invest further. Villa may back O'Neill, if he spends badly will they then be criticised for "bad signings". If they do not back him, the will not, not go any further towards winning the premiership title. So what do you do ?

Fact is, when we were in that position, they attempted to kick in and go further. You shouldn't knock attempts to bring top players to the club like Michael Owen. He was one of the few players around capable of taking over from Shearer and such a move was necessary, if you lower your sights, you go backwards and downwards. Guaranteed.

And a lot of people on here have, in fact, accepted the [now] lower standards. Making optimistic noises about signing players who should never be good enough for NUFC proves it.

When you articulate your point like you just have you make a very good point. Instead of little futile jibes.

On the whole i do understand your point about speculating to accumulate, think big to be big and all that...but it was a number of BAD buys, bad EXPENSIVE buys that effectively fucked the club and stopped up from as you put it, Keep spending in order to go forward again. Remember those windows when we signed Ambrose and Bowyer and fuck all else?

Obviously hindsight is a wonderful thing, looking back now we all would rather have FH and JH over FMA...but constantly going on about the previous regime is futile and irrelevant.

But i understand your point Leazes.

Top 4 = Brilliant

5-8 = Very good

9-12 = Good

13-16 = Decent

17-20 = Poor

When you articulate your point like you just have you make a very good point. Instead of little futile jibes.

On the whole i do understand your point about speculating to accumulate, think big to be big and all that...but it was a number of BAD buys, bad EXPENSIVE buys that effectively fucked the club and stopped up from as you put it, Keep spending in order to go forward again. Remember those windows when we signed Ambrose and Bowyer and fuck all else?

Obviously hindsight is a wonderful thing, looking back now we all would rather have FH and JH over FMA...but constantly going on about the previous regime is futile and irrelevant.

But i understand your point Leazes.

Thank you ;) It depends who I am answering. Some people attract futile comments. Not you though.

The proposal and reaction this week to the possibility of playing off for 4th place in the premiership, shows how much importance clubs put into playing in the Champions League. Quite simply, we slipped out of it and couldn't get back quickly, for different reasons, but it wasn't through not having the ambition to do it.

Liverpool may slip out of it this season. It will be interesting to see how other clubs handle it, as may Arsenal when Wenger goes.

See my point?

Well, tbf, the window wasnt that bad and short term I agree with sensible spending. Im more worried long term. Will Ashley have the same policy if we get promoted? Still the £15K cap?

I fear his aim is to find young talent, hope to develop them and then sell for a good profit with a sell on clause just in case. All this while "surviving" in the Prem. Whoopdefuckingdo. Aiming for Europe I doubt we will be.

Apart from the catastrophic decisions made by Ashley, he's also responsible for signing all the high wage earners we have, isn't he? Just the owner we needed :(

don't think Ashley signed any of them.

Smith, Nolan, Guti, Collocini, all high earners and all signed under Fat Mikes watch.

See my point?

Well, tbf, the window wasnt that bad and short term I agree with sensible spending. Im more worried long term. Will Ashley have the same policy if we get promoted? Still the £15K cap?

I fear his aim is to find young talent, hope to develop them and then sell for a good profit with a sell on clause just in case. All this while "surviving" in the Prem. Whoopdefuckingdo. Aiming for Europe I doubt we will be.

Well i do think when we go up he will increase the wage max to about 40k which is about right imo.

But being a selling club is worst case scenario...worryingly its quite likely while he is in charge.

Smith, Nolan, Guti, Collocini, all high earners and all signed under Fat Mikes watch.

not by him.

He just wrote the cheques. (which normally a chairman would get praise for)

See my point?

As soon as I heard Chris Mort talking about us doing "good business" in transfer windows, I feared exactly this.

not by him.

Don't pretend you don't understand what's being said, pedantic twat. Ashleys reign is pretty much indefensible.

not by him.

Don't pretend you don't understand what's being said, pedantic twat. Ashleys reign is pretty much indefensible.

Grow up

nobody is pretending anything. You can't blame Ashley for writing cheques period. It is not his fault managers and others tasked with spending that money made a fuck up of it.

With regard to his reign, an unemotional analysis would be needed but that won't happen here and now. However his reign was decent in my eyes untill it went tits up.

I like mort (as most did at the time), I liked the links they tried to develop in the community with regard to family sections, singing sections etc. I liked the three year deal, I liked that they tried to put some structure into a very unstructured club. I liked an owner who didn't want to spout shit all the time. I liked that he brought keegan back.

Had that last decision being better (as much as I liked it), I think we would be in a lot better position today.