Women - Aren't funny?

Sicklee Sausage Roll

oh don't get me wrong there are some terrible comedians, Roy Chubby Brown for one.

He's not a funny man, he's a funny 12 year old boy who just got fatter and more odious

he's the comedian Jo Brand seems to emulate most, to my mind.

oh don't get me wrong there are some terrible comedians, Roy Chubby Brown for one.

He's not a funny man, he's a funny 12 year old boy who just got fatter and more odious

he's the comedian Jo Brand seems to emulate most, to my mind.

58576[/snapback]

I agree, Chubby Brown's material is dreadful and unfunny. But he does have superb timing/delivery.

I agree, Chubby Brown's material is dreadful and unfunny. But he does have superb timing/delivery.

58582[/snapback]

so does the UPS bloke, but I aint paying £8 to watch him tell a joke.

I saw one of these lady comedian types today.... she was actually not that bad *shock horror*

Very quiet... not much life to her.... very little and very sensible looking.... and most of her stuff was faaaiiirrlllyyy safe stuff... then she'd come out with something surprisingly dirty, and it was hilarious, mainly because of her personality on stage and you just didn't expect it.

Best line of the night came after rambling over how wanting a diamond ring kills children in the 3rd world (switched off during that bit so I missed the link, but got the jist).... and then the guy went "but if we guys just put ONE KITTEN.......... in the microwave....... and oooooo, you're a bad person!!!! And it doesn't matter how many times we tell you that after 3 months in the freezer it's not going to defrost by itself...!"

I have quite a dark sense of humour at the time.

However, I laughed hardest a text message my friend (the comedy boy from yesterday's Toon Tour of Truth) sent me towards the end of the night. He wasn't even there and he was still the comedian with the loudest laugh of the night. Now THAT is talent.... :rolleyes:

was she short, dark haired and southern Lou?

if so she sounds like the woman who I was talking about earlier... either in this thread or another one which has basically turned into a conversation about comedians between you and I with occasional contributions from the duller members of the board.

if not then I bid you adieu

Nope, she wasn't southern. Her name's Sarah Millican.

She wasn't the best... but she was alright. (My use of the word 'hilarious' was perhaps a little strong last night... "funny" would have done I think.)

Was kinda annoying last night because the MC and headliner guys just spent the majority of their time talking to the audience and trying (and generally failing) to whip up some good banter, instead of just telling their jokes and doing their stuff. I mean, I'm all up for a bit of *good* banter... but asking 7 different people what course they study, and not having a decent line of reply to any of them, was really just a little bit shite.

It's also a stupid, stupid idea to have a comedy night at the union on one of the main student partying nights. And even THEN the height of their advertising of it is about 3 posters, hiding in the union somewhere, so that no one knows about it. Dumbasses. :rolleyes:

What a surprise SSR has brought this up.....

I agree with NJS. There are certainly less female stand ups, especially on TV, but I think they are just as funny as men. If you actually go to live events, like the Hyena cafe in Newcastle, you will probably get to see a genuinely funny female stand up. I think you have to see it live to actually appreciate how hard it is, but certainly, I have witnessed women who make you cross your legs rather than go to the bog and risk getting the piss taken out of you on route.

I have witnessed women who make you cross your legs rather than go to the bog and risk getting the piss taken out of you on route.

58988[/snapback]

When I was a nipper, about 8 or 9, my nana and grandad took us all to Blackpool and whilst there got us tickets for the Grumbleweeds. They were shit like, but we were in the front row and my nana went to go the bog in the middle of a sketch, walking right in front of the stage. It got the biggest laugh of the night, and the little fat bald one followed her into the bogs whilst taking the piss out of her. When she came out he stopped the sketch and asked her if she'd made a mess. You had to be there like, but she was the best material they had all night. :rolleyes:

I agree with NJS. There are certainly less female stand ups, especially on TV, but I think they are just as funny as men. If you actually go to live events, like the Hyena cafe in Newcastle, you will probably get to see a genuinely funny female stand up. I think you have to see it live to actually appreciate how hard it is, but certainly, I have witnessed women who make you cross your legs rather than go to the bog and risk getting the piss taken out of you on route.

58988[/snapback]

I've seen Jo Enright live, she was funny. Other than that, I bow to your greater knowledge.

It was a criticism of the mainstream comediennes, the revered ones who are shite compared to the female stand-ups you see on Paramount.

58988[/snapback]

I've seen Jo Enright live, she was funny. Other than that, I bow to your greater knowledge.

It was a criticism of the mainstream comediennes, the revered ones who are shite compared to the female stand-ups you see on Paramount.

59172[/snapback]

Did you see Jo Enright at the Hyena? I saw her not to long ago with Paul Tonkinson. I thought she was OK, but thought he was worse.

61329[/snapback]

It was at the Customs House (South Shields) a few years ago. She was supporting Jeff Green.

Not much of an effort to be funnier than Tonkinson, with his whiney voice and endless twitching/gurning. He escaped from the same mental ward as Lee Evans.

• 5 years later...

Just watched ten minutes of The Morgana Show.

Won't be doing that again any time soon. Yet again rather than do anything original or innovative, it's a woman sketch comedian being brash and gross.

Can I also go on record as saying whoever is keeping Gina Yashere in the world of entertainment needs shot with shit. I'm still waiting for her to say something funny.

She's terrible like. Ticks a couple of boxes though :drinks:

Jo Brands 'getting on' was the best sitcom since the Office btw, although you would probably appreciate it more if you have worked in a hospital

Watched it a couple of times and it's very "in jokes" isn't it.

didn't float my boat, but I can see why people in the profession would enjoy it more.