Newcastle legend Shearer in Sunderland shirt

Craig

TH1_163201029Shearer_SAFC.jpg

It's a time for putting charity before dignity – but sporting a Black Cats' strip was a step too far for Magpie hero Alan Shearer.

The Geordie star refused to wear a Sunderland AFC top to raise money for Sport Relief.

The former Newcastle United captain appeared on television on the BBC's One Show last night, where he was asked by presenter Adrian Chiles to take part in the "Shirt of Hurt" campaign for Sport Relief.

Chiles had himself donned a Wolverhampton shirt, the sworn enemy of his favoured West Bromich Albion, for the national fund-raiser.

But for Shearer, the thought of wearing red and white stripes was too much.

"I would rather give you a lot of money than put that on. My life wouldn't be worth living if I went back to Newcastle after putting that on," he said.

Source: http://www.sunderlandecho.com/safc/Newcast...land.6154770.jp

Good lad Alan... :yes

Didn't really need the caption tbh - amongst the worst bit of photoshopping I've ever seen!

I think it’s meant more in humour than trying to be professional. :yes

Have to say I admire Shearer for not putting it on even if it is a bit petty or whatever seeing as you'd normally expect him to do the politically correct thing, last week they had Dixon wearing a spurs shirt and Keown in a Van Nistelrooy Man U shirt.

Have to say I admire Shearer for not putting it on even if it is a bit petty or whatever seeing as you'd normally expect him to do the politically correct thing, last week they had Dixon wearing a spurs shirt and Keown in a Van Nistelrooy Man U shirt.

:yes I like that

:yes I like that

aye it was a bit of fun. Thinking about it Chiles was the only one to who had to wear the shirt of his clubs actual rivals with Dixon being a big Man City fan IIRC.

Completely agree really. It's daft and petty to get worked up about something which is done just for charity, but I would have been furious if he had! Well on him for turning the opportunity down

on Look North tonight they are taking a NUFC shirt around scumderland to see the reaction!

Venomous eyes peering over the top of steak bakes most likely.

:yes

Poetry that mate

Hats off to Shearer btw.