Hadrians Wall

tooner

my sister sent me the link, she is taking a sabbatical year next year and was thinking of hiking the path of the wall.

So I looked it up on google earth, I am constantly blown away by the geographical scale of Britain, it's so much smaller than what I am used to. How long would it take to drive from the channel to the north sea?

my sister sent me the link, she is taking a sabbatical year next year and was thinking of hiking the path of the wall.

So I looked it up on google earth, I am constantly blown away by the geographical scale of Britain, it's so much smaller than what I am used to. How long would it take to drive from the channel to the north sea?

If you mean the English Channel then the two meet at Dover.

If you mean the Irish Sea (which is the sea off the whole west coast of mainland England) to the North Sea on the the east coast then its about 60-70 miles at its narrowest point, which, ironically/coincidentally/dleberately, is where Hadrian chose to build his wall, at the narrowest point of the British Isles ;)

Edited by PaddockLad

If you mean the English Channel then the two meet at Dover.

If you mean the Irish Sea (which is the sea off the whole west coast of mainland England) to the North Sea on the the east coast then its about 60-70 miles at its narrowest point, which, ironically/coincidentally/dleberately, is where Hadrian chose to build his wall, at the narrowest point of the British Isles ;)

no sorry, i mean from the southern most point to the northern most point

no sorry, i mean from the southern most point to the northern most point

It's about 780 miles I think - you could do it in a day (traffic permitting) but you'd need two drivers imo.

The road distance(cycling) is 874 miles.

The most commonly taken off road (walking) route is 1,200 miles.

For a small island though, we pack some varied and stunning scenery in.

indeed, my comment wasn't meant as a slight btw.....just remarking on the difference between there and here.

for instance it would take you 24 hours of straight driving to make it from toronto to the border of Manitoba. Or it took me 19 hours of driving to drive 2/3 of the distance across (Smithers to Trail) BC.

indeed, my comment wasn't meant as a slight btw.....just remarking on the difference between there and here.

for instance it would take you 24 hours of straight driving to make it from toronto to the border of Manitoba. Or it took me 19 hours of driving to drive 2/3 of the distance across (Smithers to Trail) BC.

;)

None taken mate.

I find the distances involved on the North American continent mind blowing.

;)

None taken mate.

I know what you mean...I got on a train in Houston,Texas about 1030pm one evening.....the next day about 430pm we were just leaving El Paso.....which meant we were still just about in Texas.....we didnt arrive into L.A. until 10am the next morning....36 hours and two nights on one train journey :icon_lol:

I'm sure when I was a litlun on holiday in Canada, my incle told me England would fit inside one of the lakes....???

Could have been lake Ontario??

Lake Superior...more of an Inland sea than a lake really, Lake Ontario is thsmallest or second smallest. I grew up on the shores of Lake Ontario in St. Catharines, any RUSH fans on here? Lakeside park is a killer song and home to most of my underage drinking debacles.

but I digress, Superior is HUGE , if your spread all the water out evenly you could cover the entire North and South American continents to a depth of one foot (10% of worlds fresh water)

;)

None taken mate.

I know what you mean...I got on a train in Houston,Texas about 1030pm one evening.....the next day about 430pm we were just leaving El Paso.....which meant we were still just about in Texas.....we didnt arrive into L.A. until 10am the next morning....36 hours and two nights on one train journey :icon_lol:

that's a ridiculous train journey! how slow were you going from Houston to El Paso?

I've driven from Dallas to El Paso and it's no longer than a 10 hour drive...

I'm sure when I was a litlun on holiday in Canada, my incle told me England would fit inside one of the lakes....???

Could have been lake Ontario??

Lake Superior...more of an Inland sea than a lake really, Lake Ontario is thsmallest or second smallest. I grew up on the shores of Lake Ontario in St. Catharines, any RUSH fans on here? Lakeside park is a killer song and home to most of my underage drinking debacles.

but I digress, Superior is HUGE , if your spread all the water out evenly you could cover the entire North and South American continents to a depth of one foot (10% of worlds fresh water)

Been out fishing on Lake Michigan, that's awfully big an all, you know you're going "out on a lake" but you don't appeciate how big it is until you turn around and can't see land.

As an aside, my brother in law was shipwrecked on Michigan (on a proper ship!!!) met his future wife (now my sis in law) when the locals rallied round to feed/clothe etc. the stranded sailors.

If it was covered by the Beeb you'd think there'd be footage somewhere on the web, right?

Indeed, i looked myself and found nothing.

After reading about that it got me surfing for info on the wall itself and the roman occupancy...Alot of stuff i didnt know, really fascinating.

Then somehow got onto lookin into the old city wall of newcastle and what life was like back then...again really interesting.

When you think of it Hadrians wall was put up firstly to mark the roman empire and secondly to keep the scotts/picts out...so really back in those days the places like where im from blyth/whitley bay were classed as scottish places.

Anything above the wall the romans werent bothered about until they looked to build the antonine wall in scotland....which was an epic fail....only then did the northumbrian show early signs of forming.

One thing about Hadrian s Wall - they knew how to build in those days - if it was built now it would have fallen over in 6 years.................