U2 Finally Touring Australia!

magelaide

Will do a full reply later but...

Listen to Boy and October then listen to Pablo Honey and The Bends (don't care about later knob twiddling twattery) and spot the obvious.

INXS may have alreay existed but Hutchence based their entire "succesfull" period on U2 and himself on Bono so much he could have sued.

Green Day have moved on from punkish roots to beone of the biggest "stadium" bands in the world by becoming more mainstream - sound familiar?

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Like I said, I quite like U2, especially their old stuff. I always find these threads quite amusing though. I couldn't really care if people don't like what I like, musical taste is a very personal thing. Bono is a knob like :D

After further thought I bet all of the above, with possibily the exception of oasis, would name the velvet underground, the stooges, bowie, mc5 as influences before they even thought about who the fuck U2 are.

59261[/snapback]

Yeah, but who you name as your influences because you want to sound cool and who's actually influenced you are two separate things.

I've not cross referenced the full list of bands, but the majority might like to say the Stooges were an influence, but they don't sound like the Stooges as much as they sound like U2.

I've got their first greatest hits, can't remember the last time I listened to it though. Must've been the week it came out.

Just a quick addition - to echo what HF said there is an "admission" of influence that people may or may not make depending on whether they want to kiss arse/be honest (see Oasis and The Beatles) but I was more talking about a general influence that U2 and other bands who started at that time have on modern indie/non-metal rock.

TBH I don't know much about American music in the 70s but from a UK pov guitar melody driven music that I like mainly stems from the late 70s/early 80s scene which had roots in both punk and HM. U2 are a huge factor in that.

My point wasn't that everyone should like U2 - just that I find it strange that people can in general terms shape their taste on similar lines yet sneer so much at such an important part of that genre (used in very general terms).

Like I said, I quite like U2, especially their old stuff. I always find these threads quite amusing though. I couldn't really care if people don't like what I like, musical taste is a very personal thing. Bono is a knob like :D

59325[/snapback]

Exactly, it all down to personal taste, and it's pointless arguing about it really.

Now personally, I respect U2 but somehow could never bring myself to waste time listening to them, unless they were played at a pub/club/wedding do etc. They are just too bland and don't suit my tastes.

I've never particularly minded Bono though, although again I would never listen to an interview with him if I could avoid it.

They are just too bland and don't suit my tastes.

59465[/snapback]

Which incidentally is fruity Europop. :D

Reading your post though, I just want to clarify - you don't mind U2 but you would rather not have to listen to them, and you don't mind Bono, but you'd prefer not to actually hear him speak? :icon_lol:

They are just too bland and don't suit my tastes.

59465[/snapback]

Which incidentally is fruity Europop. :D

Reading your post though, I just want to clarify - you don't mind U2 but you would rather not have to listen to them, and you don't mind Bono, but you'd prefer not to actually hear him speak? :angry:

59467[/snapback]

That's about right. I find him and them completely inoffensive and boring. Like Cold Play really, although I do think Chris Martin is a complete tool.

But let's not start the Cold Play debate again. :icon_lol:

Btw I'm not into fruity europop - I'm into Indie Rock, if such a genre exists!

59470[/snapback]

Is it just me who was reminded of the office by that?

"No, I'd bend each one of the girls out of the Corrs over and do......."

59470[/snapback]

59477[/snapback]

:D

Renton would do the brother with Erasure playing in the background tbh.

59470[/snapback]

59477[/snapback]

59483[/snapback]

Fuck off you closet hom! :icon_lol:

I would bend all the sisters over and.........

59470[/snapback]

59477[/snapback]

59483[/snapback]

Fuck off you closet hom! :icon_lol:

I would bend all the sisters over and.........

59490[/snapback]

"Give....*grunt*...a little...*grunt*...resp-ooooOOOOOH. Finished. :angry: "

59325[/snapback]

Exactly, it all down to personal taste, and it's pointless arguing about it really.

Now personally, I respect U2 but somehow could never bring myself to waste time listening to them, unless they were played at a pub/club/wedding do etc. They are just too bland and don't suit my tastes.

I've never particularly minded Bono though, although again I would never listen to an interview with him if I could avoid it.

59465[/snapback]

THis what I'm getting at - its not so much about liking or disliking them its about degrees of respect. I like HM quite a lot and Black Sabbath are one of my faves. Its recognised that Sabbath along with Led Zep and Deep Purple are "founding fathers" of the genre. As it happens I've never liked Led Zep's music but I still "respect" their place in the scheme of things.

More than 95% of the music I listen to is guitar based. Even if I don't like a particular band/artist the fact that they use guitars "properly" means I consider them as having a good start and worthy of a base level of respect.

To use phrases like "wipe their existence from history" for any guitar based band is just something I couldn't contemplate. I save any contempt I have for artists and genres who don't "bat for my team" like mainstream dance which I find painful to listen to and manufactured pop.

The shit they churn out nowadays is.......... well........ shit!

But the stuff pre-ego explosion (e.g. "The Edge ffs"!?) is good.

59478[/snapback]

do you mean you like the stuff before they started calling themselves 'The Edge' and 'Bono' or that the fact they use stupid nicknames is a sign that they have ridiculous large egos?

like ringo? and bonzo? Iggy Pop, Black Francis, Ozzy, etc etc

knaa what i meen lyek

59325[/snapback]

59465[/snapback]

THis what I'm getting at - its not so much about liking or disliking them its about degrees of respect. I like HM quite a lot and Black Sabbath are one of my faves. Its recognised that Sabbath along with Led Zep and Deep Purple are "founding fathers" of the genre. As it happens I've never liked Led Zep's music but I still "respect" their place in the scheme of things.

More than 95% of the music I listen to is guitar based. Even if I don't like a particular band/artist the fact that they use guitars "properly" means I consider them as having a good start and worthy of a base level of respect.

To use phrases like "wipe their existence from history" for any guitar based band is just something I couldn't contemplate. I save any contempt I have for artists and genres who don't "bat for my team" like mainstream dance which I find painful to listen to and manufactured pop.

59787[/snapback]

What absolute bollocks!

You are saying that U2 ARE THE INFLUENCE on all contempary guitar based bands. :icon_lol:

What you think they invented stadium rock???

You think that because Bono strutted around in leather pants Michael Hutchence decided to follow?

NJS you seem like a person with more musical knowledge than that but obviously that's not the case.

I'm amazed at people's complete lack of knowledge or is it just ignorance?

Jim Morrison, Iggy Pop, Lou Reed, Zepplin, Purple, bowie, the birds, the stones, the who, the 60's psychedelic, the blues masters, glam rock, the whole English punk movement, new wave, fuck even Paul Weller are far bigger influences on contempary guitar bands than the U2.

I give you this U2 are good as a point of reference for contempary bands as to how successful they are in comparison for record sales and gig sizes.

But is that really anyway to measure music???

No, I think not.

Edited by sammynb

I'm amazed at people's complete lack of knowledge or is it just ignorance?

Jim Morrison, Iggy Pop, Lou Reed, Zepplin, Purple, bowie, the birds, the stones, the who, the 60's psychedelic, the blues masters, glam rock, the whole English punk movement, new wave, fuck even Paul Weller are far bigger influences on contempary guitar bands than the U2.

I give you this U2 are good as a point of reference for contempary bands as to how successful they are in comparison for record sales and gig sizes.

But is that really anyway to measure music???

No, I think not.

59849[/snapback]

Sammy, just because you don't like something, doesn' t mean it's without merit. I'm not a U2 fan but I recognise that without them many bands wouldn't be what they are today (for better or worse). Just picking a few of my favourites from the list you rejected.

Radiohead - crylaughin.gif This is the same band that is inspired by sigur ros, the hitchhikers guide and writes some of the best music of our generation.

59849[/snapback]

Yes, and they're influenced by U2. U2 went from flat out rock to weird effects driven shite long before Radiohead did (and have since come back). Would Radiohead have had the balls to make such a complete change in direction if U2 hadn't shown that it's possible to survive if you do?

Foo Fighters - you are fucking joking here aren't you? Nirvana never hid who their influences were and U2 were not in the same group as killing joke, the melvins.

Dave Grohl speaking on Lamacq about what he listens to on a Sunday morning

"U2 - 'Beautiful Day' - Y'know recently I had a Sunday at home where I was fixing breakfast and I put on the new U2 record. It was quite nice, flipping my eggs, it was a beautiful day man."

Green Day - sorry but generally this lot are a joke to the music world. I suppose they share a similarity in that they try to be something their not, green day wish they were a 70s english punk band and U2 want to be floyd.

They're a punk band though, so your problem is they aren't English? Not many 70's English punk bands released concept albums that included 10 minute mini operas like. Pink Floyd did though. Maybe they want to be them. Don't see U2 following the floyd template myself though. How do you mean?

I don't really care about the wider debate, but saying something's "quite nice" isn't exactly equal to being actively influenced by it, surely?

59857[/snapback]

Well he's not the one to say if he's been influenced or not is he? Whatever we listen to influences us one way or another. I can say German Trance doesn't influence me because I don't EVER listen to it (if it even exists) but if I listen to something, it's an influence.

I'm not saying Foo Fighters are striving for that elusive U2 sound that coldplay manage so well. But it's not as if they are offended by the very existence of Bono which Sammy seems to be suggesting.

Happy face glad you awaited my response.

Sammy, just because you don't like something, doesn' t mean it's without merit.  I'm not a U2 fan but I recognise that without them many bands wouldn't be what they are today (for better or worse).  Just picking a few of my favourites from the list you rejected.

Yes, and they're influenced by U2.  U2 went from flat out rock to weird effects driven shite long before Radiohead did (and have since come back).  Would Radiohead have had the balls to make such a complete change in direction if U2 hadn't shown that it's possible to survive if you do?

Sorry but I disagree. The Beatles are a far better example and really set the standard, U2 as I mentioned earlier are not the pacesetters, mere followers of what other have done before. Listen to Tom York speak, there is none of this "we are the greatest band in the world" dribble. The guy is modest and knows that it is an honour to make a living doing something they enjoy.

Dave Grohl speaking on Lamacq about what he listens to on a Sunday morning

"U2 - 'Beautiful Day' -  Y'know recently I had a Sunday at home where I was fixing breakfast and I put on the new U2 record. It was quite nice, flipping my eggs, it was a beautiful day man."

And I went to a wedding the other day and someone played the exact same song. So just because some owns it, listens to it doesn't make it an "influence."

I own a host of stuff that I have been given or bought out of sheer stupidity but it doesn't "influence" me.

They're a punk band though, so your problem is they aren't English?  Not many 70's English punk bands released concept albums that included 10 minute mini operas like.  Pink Floyd did though.  Maybe they want to be them.  Don't see U2 following the floyd template myself though.  How do you mean?

Ok maybe I was a bit harsh but the first interview I heard with Green Day around 1990, the singer (I don't know his name) was talking away and he had this cockney accent and I thought fuck i thought these guys were from the states. Turns out they were and he spoke like that because [cockney accent] dats how a punk band speaks, right! [/cockney accent] and that has stuck with me ever since.

They could write Juju by Wayne Shorter and all I'd hear is that stupid fucking voice.

So whatever my opinion is, do peole really believe that U2 has been a greater influence on contempary guitar music than:

Jim Morrison, Iggy Pop, Lou Reed, Zepplin, Purple, bowie, the birds, the stones, the who, the 60's psychedelic, the blues masters, glam rock, the whole English punk movement, new wave, fuck even Paul Weller. And I even forgot the Beatles.

I can't disagree U2 have been successful but so have people like Mariah Carey and a host of other talentless trash that I can't be bother mentioning and do you really think they have influenced others?

Edited by sammynb

I don't really care about the wider debate, but saying something's "quite nice" isn't exactly equal to being actively influenced by it, surely?

59857[/snapback]

Well he's not the one to say if he's been influenced or not is he? Whatever we listen to influences us one way or another. I can say German Trance doesn't influence me because I don't EVER listen to it (if it even exists) but if I listen to something, it's an influence.

I'm not saying Foo Fighters are striving for that elusive U2 sound that coldplay manage so well. But it's not as if they are offended by the very existence of Bono which Sammy seems to be suggesting.

59858[/snapback]

Did I say they were offended?

No I just think it is a bit rich someone saying that U2 have influenced these people especially in the light that they have named the very people who have influenced them.

Thank you meenzer, you have summed up my point in one sentence. :D

Egads. I didn't expect to generate hot debate.

I'm going all ouf for premium tickets $200ish a pop (I think). Will be well worth it. Coldplay and U2 in the same year - the only thing to make it better would be Robbie for the trifecta. :D

Egads. I didn't expect to generate hot debate.

I'm going all ouf for premium tickets $200ish a pop (I think). Will be well worth it. Coldplay and U2 in the same year - the only thing to make it better would be Robbie for the trifecta.  :icon_lol:

59901[/snapback]

As in Williams?!?! :D

:angry: