Corporal punishment.

Park Life

I remember having the back of my legs smacked by my mam but can't remember what for. It bloody stung like mad and left a handprint so I don't think I did it again - whatever it was!

At the moment the bairn is only 13 months old so I've never had to 'discipline' him for anything more than trying to use my mobile phone or slavvering over the tv remote. Whilst I don't think it should be made illegal, smacking is not something I'd advocate or use as a first line of discipline.

Do you find you have become a risk assessor? <_<

Whenever I walk into someone's house with Sam I'm scanning for potential danger. Ornaments, fire places, pets, cups of tea, tv stands, all that kinda thing.

I dont even like shouting at the bairn, but at 2 1/2 he is at the age when the word "no" is used all to easy. He goes in the huff and all sorts now ;) 90% of the time he is good as gold like, but that 10% he just seems to know how to tweak every button :icon_lol:

I remember having the back of my legs smacked by my mam but can't remember what for. It bloody stung like mad and left a handprint so I don't think I did it again - whatever it was!

At the moment the bairn is only 13 months old so I've never had to 'discipline' him for anything more than trying to use my mobile phone or slavvering over the tv remote. Whilst I don't think it should be made illegal, smacking is not something I'd advocate or use as a first line of discipline.

Do you find you have become a risk assessor? <_<

Whenever I walk into someone's house with Sam I'm scanning for potential danger. Ornaments, fire places, pets, cups of tea, tv stands, all that kinda thing.

I dont even like shouting at the bairn, but at 2 1/2 he is at the age when the word "no" is used all to easy. He goes in the huff and all sorts now ;) 90% of the time he is good as gold like, but that 10% he just seems to know how to tweak every button :icon_lol:

My cousins came round our flat couple of months back, they've got 3 kids. They started straight away with "you'll have to sort those wires out near the telly, those plants will need moving, don't put this here that there etc". It was exactly what she said, you start doing risk assessments of everything.

Surely the trick is to be at the point where the threat of a smack is enough and working out how to never let it escalate beyond that? I got smacked a a few times but that was probably fully deserved.

Do you find you have become a risk assessor? :icon_lol:

It's absolutely the same. He's like a Tasmanian devil and just crawls round at a ridiculous speed wreaking havoc all over the place. Thing is, even at his age he knows there's certain things he can't touch. He'll go towards the DVD player, turn and look at me and start shaking his head even before I've said no <_< The cats are all freaked out by him :o

only ever smacked my son on the bum once when he was extremely naughty, he was 5 at the time and I think it was the shock of the whole situation thats stuck with him more than the sting of the smack as he remembers it now and I rarely threaten him with a smack as a punishment but I wouldn't hesitate to do it.

I think theres nothing worse than parents who 'threaten' their kids with things then don't carry them out, it teaches them nothing, my son knows if he's naughty, he gets excluded from the room/activity or whatever is happening and telling him that i'm disappointed in his behaviour works well enough for most situations. They have to know that their behaviour has upset you and for that to impress upon them they have to be upset by the action that it affords.

I used to get smacked and I wouldn't have dared and still wouldn't back chat, cheek or disregard my parents the way you often see kids do now. Its like kids who are cheeky to folk in the street, I'd have been too firghtened that it would get back to my parents and then I'd be in trouble to risk anything like that. I think a lack of effective punishments has led to a lack of respect from children today, they don't respect teachers, police, neighbours or their parents and I think its very sad.

I remember my mum threatening one of my brothers that if he didn't behave she would pull down his pants and smack his bare bum in front of everyone, and he kept being a little sod ( about aged 6/7/8 I think) and she did right there in the middle of Bimbi's. I was totally fuckin mortified. Worked though.

Used to be thrashed regularly at school but that was a long time ago

In Indonesia I clipped wor kid when he was 5 round the ear for screaming and yelling for no reason and the staff walked out of the house and threatened to quit - if I'd been on the street it might have been a lynching - you don't even THINK of hitting kids there

I used to get smacked pretty regularly if i was out of line - always by my dad. Probably too regularly if I'm honest, don't think it did my relationship with my dad any good at all.

Having said that, it won't stop me using smacking as an ultimate deterrent with my kids though.

It's still corporal punishment, see you in Strasbourg.

alan_partridge_150_150x180.jpg

Headmaster Savaged By Pupil He Had Caned

A headmaster was left with horrific injuries after he was attacked by a former pupil he had caned 20 years ago.

15612798.jpg

Kieran Heakin had to have four metal plates put into his skull and is now permanently deaf in one ear and has no sense of smell or taste following the attack in an Indian restaurant.

The attack happened when Jermaine Bullen, 26, spotted the 58-year-old waiting for a takeaway at the Kabana in Rochdale, Greater Manchester, with two fellow headteachers.

Bullen approached Mr Heakin and said: "Do you remember me? You beat me when I was six years old and I have been waiting all these years to meet up with you."

He punched and kicked the headmaster to the floor and carried on beating him while he was unconscious, Bolton Crown Court heard.

Bullen was jailed for three years after pleading guilty to wounding with intent to commit grievous bodily harm.

Mr Heakin, the headmaster of St John's RC Primary, in Burnley, suffered a broken nose, a broken cheekbone and ribs, a fractured eye socket and a broken jaw in the attack.

He spent two weeks in hospital and two months recuperating at home.

The committed Christian said after the case: "In spite of my injuries I have forgiven Jermaine and I don't want any revenge.

"He lost his self control for a moment and will pay for that for many years to come.

"I remember him as an infant but I have not seen him for 19 years.

"He was expelled from schools many times. I don't like to dwell on the incident or the after-effects.

"As a committed Christian I have decided to forgive him. That is my job - I spend a lot of time telling children about forgiveness."

Bullen - who has a long criminal record - was arrested the following day after fleeing the scene.

David Farley, defending, said: "When the assault was happening, he says all he could do was picture himself at that age and he lost control."

How gracious of him to take the moral high ground and completely ignore the part about him beating children.

There any evidence that the kid was beaten? I'm not for one minute going to defend a man who has used excessive force in disciplining a child, but I'm not going to take the word of kid who has a long criminal record over that of a head master.

The "beating" could well have been a wrap on the knuckles or a smack round the lugs.

(not saying for definite he wasn't beaten, just playing Devil's advocate)

How gracious of him to take the moral high ground and completely ignore the part about him beating children.

There any evidence that the kid was beaten? I'm not for one minute going to defend a man who has used excessive force in disciplining a child, but I'm not going to take the word of kid who has a long criminal record over that of a head master.

The "beating" could well have been a wrap on the knuckles or a smack round the lugs.

Well the headline suggests he was caned. Anyone who went to a catholic school in the 80s or earlier will probably has probably been subjected to the cane, strap and the odd smack on numerous ocassions. Does that give them the rigth to become vigilante and put someone in hospital? Of course not ffs!

I actually have many problems with my old school but corporal punishment is not one of them. Everyone I knew preferred a bit of short-term physical pain over detention or lines. I accept it is unacceptable now, but go back two decades and it was the norm. Never did me any harm etc. ;)

Well the headline suggests he was caned. Anyone who went to a catholic school in the 80s or earlier will probably has probably been subjected to the cane, strap and the odd smack on numerous ocassions. Does that give them the rigth to become vigilante and put someone in hospital? Of course not ffs!

I actually have many problems with my old school but corporal punishment is not one of them. Everyone I knew preferred a bit of short-term physical pain over detention or lines. I accept it is unacceptable now, but go back two decades and it was the norm. Never did me any harm etc. ;)

sorry my point was more that the rather emotive term "beaten" suggests that this thug was on the receiving end of abuse, rather than punishment

Despite my view about toddlers I think caning 6 years olds is wrong but then again I think corporal punishment if any should be only available to parents. The bloke didn't deserve the payback but his remarks about christianity and the creepy way he sounds proud of his stance loses him some sympathy with me.

My experience of Catholic school was I think a little fortunate in that it was towards the end of corporal punishment being seen as "okay" but looking back the teachers who did relish using the cane and the strap definitely had something wrong with them imo - and that's not speaking as any kind of regular victim with a grudge.

Was in standard secondary education (60's/70's) and the school staple was the belt. Never got belted myself but did get the slipper and on one notable occassion off the PE teacher (for throwing javelins like cabers) the Sports Almanac, the latter hurt like hell, to this day I think it's the biggest book I've ever seen in my life.

Should bring it all back IMO and as for smacking kids, in my experience you only need to do it once.

When I was in Junior school the whole lot of us (EVERYONE) got three withe cane for not coming on when the bell rang for break - we were in long lines with a teacher at the front of each one doing the deed

No-one even thought about telling their parents - it would have been another thump.......