George Best

Guest alex

It took the BBC all of, oooh, 30 seconds to air their hour long obituary/documentary the day he died. The poor fucker wasn't even cold.

61444[/snapback]

To be fair it was just a repeat of a documentary made in 2002 though.

61453[/snapback]

Even so, it's a bit cynical to stick it on the moment he pegged it.

61474[/snapback]

Why though? I imagine a lot of people wanted to watch it - I did.

• Replies 226
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorry to bring this thread back from the dead so to speak (no punn intended) but I haven't been around for a while. I'd just like to say for anyone who feels sympathy for Bestie....

At the risk of being jumped on.....

For f***ks sake!! George Best WAS a great player. He had real talent, a great life, loads of money, women falling at his feet. He CHOSE to waste it all on bloody alcohol!! Sympathy should be saved for those who deserve it. Answer me honestly, if some smelly, dirty tramp dies of alcohol abuse would you all be crying into your beer glasses over him? I think bloody not. Bestie was given a second bloody chance, which is something many patients waiting on the transplant list never get. Did he repent, change his ways and become a better person, bloody thankfull for the gift of life? Did he f***k as soon as his liver would allow he toddled off down the bloody pub to christen his new liver!! All this bloody crap about he was sorry is bloody sickening. He was conveniently bloody sorry the last time he was at deaths door. He had an amazing chance to live out the rest of his natural and he blew it. He knew what he was doing when he took the first swig. So tough if I upset anybody, I just hate hypocrisy. Bestie showed no consideration to his family either else he wouldn't have put them through this twice.

Sorry to bring this thread back from the dead so to speak (no punn intended) but I haven't been around for a while. I'd just like to say for anyone who feels sympathy for Bestie....

At the risk of being jumped on.....

For f***ks sake!! George Best WAS a great player. He had real talent, a great life, loads of money, women falling at his feet. He CHOSE to waste it all on bloody alcohol!! Sympathy should be saved for those who deserve it. Answer me honestly, if some smelly, dirty tramp dies of alcohol abuse would you all be crying into your beer glasses over him? I think bloody not. Bestie was given a second bloody chance, which is something many patients waiting on the transplant list never get. Did he repent, change his ways and become a better person, bloody thankfull for the gift of life? Did he f***k as soon as his liver would allow he toddled off down the bloody pub to christen his new liver!! All this bloody crap about he was sorry is bloody sickening. He was conveniently  bloody sorry the last time he was at deaths door. He had an amazing chance to live out the rest of his natural and he blew it. He knew what he was doing when he took the first swig. So tough if I upset anybody, I just hate hypocrisy. Bestie showed no consideration to his family either else he wouldn't have put them through this twice.

61748[/snapback]

Since you mention it, I was VERY sad to hear that a famous local tramp in Shields (Paddy) died a couple of weeks ago. I often had to chase him out of the pub I worked in when he came scrounging for money/drink/tabs off people. It broke my heart to shove him back out into the cold, the poor sod. I felt nothing but sympathy for him because he was an alcoholic, not despite it.

Pretty heartless to have no sympathy whatsoever. A couple of people chucked themselves off the cliffs in Shields over the weekend too. Do they not deserve sympathy either? They chose to kill themself, but there has to be some underlying factor that drove them to it.

Edited by Happy Face

[

Since you mention it, I was VERY sad to hear that a famous local tramp in Shields (Paddy) died a couple of weeks ago.  I often had to chase him out of the pub I worked in when he came scrounging for money/drink/tabs off people.  It broke my heart to shove him back out into the cold, the poor sod.  I felt nothing but sympathy for him because he was an alcoholic, not despite it.

Pretty heartless to have no sympathy whatsoever.  A couple of people chucked themselves off the cliffs in Shields over the weekend too.  Do they not deserve sympathy either?  They chose to kill themself, but there has to be some underlying factor that drove them to it.

61749[/snapback]

I am not heartless and I am quite offended by that remark! I just do not sympathise with a grown man who drank himself to death despite being given another chance at life. You are amongst the minority of peeps who do actually care about those less fortunate than yourself and for that you should be commended. However with regards your reply about people commiting suicide, obviously there is a difference between being so desperate that you cannot carry on and George Bests case. Anyone who willingly throws themselves off a cliff needs help, help they obviously weren't getting. Then again they may actually have been recieving treatment for there depression (peeps suffering from suicidal tendencies are usually depressed) but may have felt that it wasn't helping them, or they could see no light at the end of the tunnel. They were obviously let down by the healthcare team who they were under. MR Best on the other hand recieved bloody good healthcare. Stayed in a top notch hospital and recieved the best treatment his money could buy. He was not let down by anyone other than himself! So whilst I can empathise with those for who'm life is just too much, I can feel nothing but pity for MR Best (pity because he had it all and threw it away) the help was available he just didn't want it! Whilst I respect your opinion and your entitlement to have and express it I have to dissagree with you. I also have to add that you like many on this forum know fuck all about me, yet just because I offer my opinion and just because it differs from yours you think you have the right to accuse me of being heartless. I feel sympathy for those who genuinely deserve it. I am not manipulated by the tabloids!! A few years ago the same tabloids that are now crying in sympathy were slagging him off saying he brought it on himself suddenly because he is dead he is a bloody saint. He was human had flaws just like you and me. He chose the way he died and I stand by what I said.

Apologies, no offence intended. I was a bit insulted myself at the suggestion I'd have no compassion for a 'smelly tramp'. Though my post was in response to yours, it is a general opinion about many people who feel the same as you. Nowt personal just something I don't understand.

My point was a comparison between depression and alcoholism. The Suns treatment of Frank Bruno during his mental ill health was disgusting and was highlighted as such at the time. The same can be said of their hounding of Best throughout his alcoholism. Neither person 'brought it on themself' but had very similar problems coping with life after their careers ended. Both were ill men and suffered ridicule for it. George Best would find it about as easy to just stop drinking as Frank Bruno would to just cheer up.

I've not readthe tabloids, but as I've said earlier in this thread every obituary, every feature, every news report I've seen about Best has made much of his alcoholism, womanising and Jail time. So I don't see where people get the impression he's portrayed as a saint. But he had a hell of a talent which is being rightly celebrated.

I'm sure you aren't heartless. I just think a lot of people see anyone with fame as fair game when it comes to slagging them off. I'm sure there are hundreds of ex-alcoholics who slipped off the wagon after being given a liver transplant. Best got nationwide abuse when he did it, what he needed was support to get back on the wagon.

I'm sure I heard Best say once he didn't want sympathy, which is fair enough, because in all honesty he doesn't deserve it. He was a brilliant player but he was not a nice person as far as I can tell: personally I regard infidelity a pretty disgusting act for one thing, especially if it's constantly repeated. Now he's dead and he's had his one minutes "appreciation", I hope people's sympathy can be diverted to those that truely deserve it, and that may include other alcoholics who have never had the chances Best had.

Is it just me who finds all this 'applause' and shirt/flower leaving just a load of shite?

It just smacks of an act of strange-minded people who feel the need to join in on the act of needing to show how sad they are.

How many times do we see the people waiting for the telly cameras to 'roll' before they are in the background laying their tribute??

Maybe I'm just a cynic but it just seems all an act to me.

Yes, he was a great footballer and it is a loss that anyone has to lose their life, but all this display of emotion (when the person in question is not in the slightest bit related) is just stomach-churning imo.

Is it just me who finds all this 'applause' and shirt/flower leaving just a load of shite?

It just smacks of an act of strange-minded people who feel the need to join in on the act of needing to show how sad they are.

How many times do we see the people waiting for the telly cameras to 'roll' before they are in the background laying their tribute??

Maybe I'm just a cynic but it just seems all an act to me.

Yes, he was a great footballer and it is a loss that anyone has to lose their life, but all this display of emotion (when the person in question is not in the slightest bit related) is just stomach-churning imo.

61854[/snapback]

I agree, especially this one minute clap shite.

:lol:

I'm sure I heard Best say once he didn't want sympathy, which is fair enough, because in all honesty he doesn't deserve it. He was a brilliant player but he was not a nice person as far as I can tell: personally I regard infidelity a pretty disgusting act for one thing, especially if it's constantly repeated. Now he's dead and he's had his one minutes "appreciation", I hope people's sympathy can be diverted to those that truely deserve it, and that may include other alcoholics who have never had the chances Best had.

61848[/snapback]

How can you be so harsh as to not give a man whose just died a slow painful death any sympathy? Best has harmed nobody but himself. All this shite about his new liver going to somebody else and being wasted on him is crap.

I think all these people hanging around Old Trafford crying are cock ends and they should be at home having one off the wrist or summat. But the only reason Best said he didn't want sympathy was because he read the Sun and believed the shite spouted as if it was the opinion of the entire public. This probably precipitated his feeling of self loathing and therefore, alcohol abuse.

I think with a very few exceptions, ANYONE who dies should get a bit of sympathy, it's not like you only have a little and need to direct it at the most morally upstanding people.

61848[/snapback]

How can you be so harsh as to not give a man whose just died a slow painful death any sympathy? Best has harmed nobody but himself. All this shite about his new liver going to somebody else and being wasted on him is crap.

I think all these people hanging around Old Trafford crying are cock ends and they should be at home having one off the wrist or summat. But the only reason Best said he didn't want sympathy was because he read the Sun and believed the shite spouted as if it was the opinion of the entire public. This probably precipitated his feeling of self loathing and therefore, alcohol abuse.

I think with a very few exceptions, ANYONE who dies should get a bit of sympathy, it's not like you only have a little and need to direct it at the most morally upstanding people.

61882[/snapback]

I liked our last point, but I'm not sure I can agree that Best has harmed no-one but himself. Do you seriously think he didn't hurt the woman in his life through his constant infidelity? Do you think his Dad is OK with him dying before him?

Also, I have read that liver donations have fallen by 50% because people don't want to donate their livers to a person who will "waste" them. So in actual fact, it could be argued that Best has actually indirectly killed people - people who deserve a chance unlike him in retrospect.

Nice footage from Fratton Park there of fans singing "There's only one Georgie Best" during the minute's silence/applause (I'm not sure which it was meant to be tbh :lol: )

61280[/snapback]

Agree. And I agree with Lawro for once as well in that I think the minute's applause is the way to go in future to honour someone who's passed. Renders all the booing by the cock-ends totally pointless and drowns the fuckers out. A small proportion of the Liverpool fans did the same apparently.

As for Best deserving no sympathy because he did it to himself, I don't agree. Alcoholism IS a disease, it's not something that a person can control. He knew it was killing him but there was nothing he could do about it. What's more, he grew up at a time when football clubs (and management) did little to support people with an alcohol problem. (Tony Adams and Paul Merson have a lot to be thankful for for modern management). I lost my uncle to it 15 years ago. He knew it was killing him and he tried to give up, fact was he ended up making himself more ill by starving himself of the stuff. This nonsense about he was given a chance 3 years ago with a transplant is exactly that, the damage was done long before that and George's body got to a point where it depended on alcohol.

He's suffered a long painful death, surely that's punishment enough? And besides, the adulations and celebrations have been about Best the footballer, NOT Best the alcoholic. If Shearer turns to the grog after he hangs up his boots and drinks himself to death, it doesn't change the fact that he's one of the most talented footballers to ever grace the black and white shirt does it?

I liked our last point, but I'm not sure I can agree that Best has harmed no-one but himself. Do you seriously think he didn't hurt the woman in his life through his constant infidelity? Do you think his Dad is OK with him dying before him?

Alcoholic or not, how many people cheat on their husbands or wives? Alex Best did very well out of her Marriage to George, I don't think he's harmed her at all tbh.

Also, I have read that liver donations have fallen by 50% because people don't want to donate their livers to a person who will "waste" them. So in actual fact, it could be argued that Best has actually indirectly killed people - people who deserve a chance unlike him in retrospect.

61895[/snapback]

Well that says more about peoples stupidity than George Best. If someone's getting your liver, it's likely that it's someone with liver damage. Who suffers more from liver damage than anyone else? Alcoholics.

George Best has killed no-one, directly or indirectly. If anything it's sloppy & cheap journaslism that have cost us any drop in donations by making this one recipient look selfish, rather than fucked up.

Nice footage from Fratton Park there of fans singing "There's only one Georgie Best" during the minute's silence/applause (I'm not sure which it was meant to be tbh :lol: )

61280[/snapback]

Agree. And I agree with Lawro for once as well in that I think the minute's applause is the way to go in future to honour someone who's passed. Renders all the booing by the cock-ends totally pointless and drowns the fuckers out. A small proportion of the Liverpool fans did the same apparently.

As for Best deserving no sympathy because he did it to himself, I don't agree. Alcoholism IS a disease, it's not something that a person can control. He knew it was killing him but there was nothing he could do about it. What's more, he grew up at a time when football clubs (and management) did little to support people with an alcohol problem. (Tony Adams and Paul Merson have a lot to be thankful for for modern management). I lost my uncle to it 15 years ago. He knew it was killing him and he tried to give up, fact was he ended up making himself more ill by starving himself of the stuff. This nonsense about he was given a chance 3 years ago with a transplant is exactly that, the damage was done long before that and George's body got to a point where it depended on alcohol.

He's suffered a long painful death, surely that's punishment enough? And besides, the adulations and celebrations have been about Best the footballer, NOT Best the alcoholic. If Shearer turns to the grog after he hangs up his boots and drinks himself to death, it doesn't change the fact that he's one of the most talented footballers to ever grace the black and white shirt does it?

61898[/snapback]

I'm sorry about your uncle, but that bit in bold is not true to be fair. It's also not true to suggest that there is nothing an alcoholic can do about his addiction, and that free will doesn't come into it. Best would still be alive and well today if he had stopped drinking after his transplant, he didn't need alcohol to live.

One thing that confuses me is how he continued drinking if he was taking antabuse. From what I understand, you only have to take this tablet once a day and then it becomes almost impossible to drink. So he must have avoided taking the tablets, which requires a lot of premeditation.

Alcoholic or not, how many people cheat on their husbands or wives? Alex Best did very well out of her Marriage to George, I don't think he's harmed her at all tbh.

61895[/snapback]

Well that says more about peoples stupidity than George Best. If someone's getting your liver, it's likely that it's someone with liver damage. Who suffers more from liver damage than anyone else? Alcoholics.

George Best has killed no-one, directly or indirectly. If anything it's sloppy & cheap journaslism that have cost us any drop in donations by making this one recipient look selfish, rather than fucked up.

61899[/snapback]

So it's OK that he cheated on Alex because she got money out of it? Come on man, I know plenty of people cheat on their spouses, but it is disgusting behaviour in my book.

Most alcoholics will give up when they get a second chance of life, George chose not too. I don't see how he hasn't indirectly killed people by the way, please explain. To blame it on journalists is utterly ridiculous imo.

So it's OK that he cheated on Alex because she got money out of it? Come on man, I know plenty of people cheat on their spouses, but it is disgusting behaviour in my book.

61905[/snapback]

It's wrong, but I imagine a lot of people on here have cheated (see caught with you troozas doon thread) or at least know someone that has. Does that one mistake mean that they should be forever chastised? That they deserve no sympathy even when they die?

Most alcoholics will give up when they get a second chance of life, George chose not too. I don't see how he hasn't indirectly killed people by the way, please explain. To blame it on journalists is utterly ridiculous imo.

61905[/snapback]

Well in order to be given that second Chance George had to be clean for at least a year (I think maybe 2). And he continued to be clean for some time after. As I understand it, it was until the mistake discussed above. When your wife leaves you and it's smothered all over the papaers what a cunt you are, I can understand a bit of self pity takes over and you might go back to drink. Call him weak or pathetic but don't say he's killed people by making that choice.

I think journalists have a responsibility to report illnesses as such. Saying Bruno was batty or whatever the headline was, or that George has selfishly mistreated the new liver of a kind donor does neither cause any favours.

Edited by Happy Face

61905[/snapback]

It's wrong, but I imagine a lot of people on here have cheated (see caught with you troozas doon thread) or at least know someone that has. Does that one mistake mean that they should be forever chastised? That they deserve no sympathy even when they die?

61905[/snapback]

Well in order to be given that second Chance George had to be clean for at least a year (I think maybe 2). And he continued to be clean for some time after. As I understand it, it was until the mistake discussed above. When your wife leaves you and it's smothered all over the papaers what a cunt you are, I can understand a bit of self pity takes over and you might go back to drink. Call him weak or pathetic but don't say he's killed people by making that choice.

I think journalists have a responsibility to report illnesses as such. Saying Bruno was batty or whatever the headline was, or that George has selfishly mistreated the new liver of a kind donor does neither cause any favours.

61911[/snapback]

Alex left him because he had started drinking and fucking around again. When he signed those pledges he had a responsibility not just to himself, but also his family and the donor. It is sad that someone could use Best's actions to justify not giving a relatives organ to a donor, but nevertheless it has happened. But if George had known this would be a consequence of his actions, would he have changed? I doubt it, because basically he was a very selfish person.

For the record, I hate the way the media are treating his death, like he was the new messiah or something. Let's be honest, all he was to most people on this board was a few grainy clips of football genius. His gift was a result of a fluke chance, I honestly believe he had few inspirational qualities. This celebrity culture we live in is just plain wrong. :lol:

I think you are wrong about liver donations falling Renton, I am sure Iread somewhere last week that donations increased after the publicity surrounding Bests liver transpalnt

I also find it questionable that people who dont know him feeel the need to slag him whereas it would appear that everyone who knew/ met him hasnt hasd a bad word to say about him

Edited by spongebob toonpants

Alex left him because he had started drinking and fucking around again. When he signed those pledges he had a responsibility not just to himself, but also his family and the donor. It is sad that someone could use Best's actions to justify not giving a relatives organ to a donor, but nevertheless it has happened. But if George had known this would be a consequence of his actions, would he have changed? I doubt it, because basically he was a very selfish person.

For the record, I hate the way the media are treating his death, like he was the new messiah or something. Let's be honest, all he was to most people on this board was a few grainy clips of football genius. His gift was a result of a fluke chance, I honestly believe he had few inspirational qualities. This celebrity culture we live in is just plain wrong.  :lol:

61913[/snapback]

I'll bow to your Heat magazine assisted knowledge on that. Personally I don't read celebrity tattle rags.

For the record, I hate the way the media are treating his death, like he was the new messiah or something. Let's be honest, all he was to most people on this board was a few grainy clips of football genius. His gift was a result of a fluke chance, I honestly believe he had few inspirational qualities. This celebrity culture we live in is just plain wrong.  :lol:

61913[/snapback]

I'll bow to your Heat magazine assisted knowledge on that. Personally I don't read celebrity tattle rags.

61961[/snapback]

To be fair to Renton, he only reads Heat when he's run out of articles on Chinamen's cocks.

61913[/snapback]

61961[/snapback]

It was common knowledge and in all the news, including the BBC. Anyway, despite what I may have sounded like, I have never wished the bloke ill - I just want to be clear about that.

61913[/snapback]

61961[/snapback]

To be fair to Renton, he only reads Heat when he's run out of articles on Chinamen's cocks.

61962[/snapback]

Cock off. :lol:

61280[/snapback]

61898[/snapback]

I'm sorry about your uncle, but that bit in bold is not true to be fair. It's also not true to suggest that there is nothing an alcoholic can do about his addiction, and that free will doesn't come into it. Best would still be alive and well today if he had stopped drinking after his transplant, he didn't need alcohol to live.

One thing that confuses me is how he continued drinking if he was taking antabuse. From what I understand, you only have to take this tablet once a day and then it becomes almost impossible to drink. So he must have avoided taking the tablets, which requires a lot of premeditation.

61903[/snapback]

You can argue the bit about Best, but the bit about my Uncle is totally true actually Renton, I was there to fucking witness him going through the attempts of cold turkey and he deteriated rapidly when he did so.