reformed smokers

Dr Gloom

If you don't suffer from clinical depression, Chantix is a great way to stop smoking. Gives you crazy ass dreams/ nightmares though. Just be sure to stay on it for at least a couple of months. I went off of it after a month because I felt like it had done it's job and it was making my depression really, significantly worse, and relapsed for a bit not long after. It's great stuff though if your head can take it. I went from over a pack a day to four or five within a week and it was a very painless process. You just don't get the cravings at all.

EDIT: One thing though, if you've smoked for very long at all, be prepared to kind of feel like you're half asleep all day after you get off of nicotine. When I wasn't smoking or using any tobacco products at all, I had a really hard time getting my head in the game when the plant would call for support at 1 in the morning or whatever. Also found myself nodding off on the couch and whatnot, which I never used to do. That's why I'm still an occasional tobacco user- there are times when the shit is hitting the fan at work and I have to get sharp very quickly- like I might only have 20 or 30 minutes to go from dead asleep to being at the plant fixing IT or equipment issues. For those times, nicotine is the only way I can wake up that quick- caffeine helps, but it isn't enough by itself.

Edited by Cid_MCDP

• Replies 220
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you don't suffer from clinical depression, Chantix is a great way to stop smoking. Gives you crazy ass dreams/ nightmares though. Just be sure to stay on it for at least a couple of months. I went off of it after a month because I felt like it had done it's job and it was making my depression really, significantly worse, and relapsed for a bit not long after. It's great stuff though if your head can take it. I went from over a pack a day to four or five within a week and it was a very painless process. You just don't get the cravings at all.

EDIT: One thing though, if you've smoked for very long at all, be prepared to kind of feel like you're half asleep all day after you get off of nicotine. When I wasn't smoking or using any tobacco products at all, I had a really hard time getting my head in the game when the plant would call for support at 1 in the morning or whatever. Also found myself nodding off on the couch and whatnot, which I never used to do. That's why I'm still an occasional tobacco user- there are times when the shit is hitting the fan at work and I have to get sharp very quickly- like I might only have 20 or 30 minutes to go from dead asleep to being at the plant fixing IT or equipment issues. For those times, nicotine is the only way I can wake up that quick- caffeine helps, but it isn't enough by itself.

Chantix is varenicline, which has been approved by NICE iirc, so available on the NHS in principle. I can't remember how it compares with nicotine replacement therapy. Seems like over-medicalising a problem which can be solved with will power alone if I'm honest.

Chantix is varenicline, which has been approved by NICE iirc, so available on the NHS in principle. I can't remember how it compares with nicotine replacement therapy. Seems like over-medicalising a problem which can be solved with will power alone if I'm honest.

Fuckin' hell man, check your avatar. :wub:

I do agree with you though- quitting smoking isn't as tough as people make it out to be, at least the physical addiction part. When I was smoking, you'd hear all this about smoking being more addictive than heroin and all that... it's all in your mind. I smoked for almost 20 years and was shocked at how quickly the physical addiction breaks. It's really all just mental triggers in my opinion. I still have a hard time walking into convenince stores and not buying a pack, but paying at the pump with my debit card has really helped that. The only real triggers I still struggle with at this point are long drives in the car (like more than 30 minutes or so) and just after I smoke a joint. Those are still tough, but I haven't been high in months and the drive to work is as much apprehension at what's waiting for me when I get here as anything.

And quitting is a good thing. Really. You notice the effects almost immediately. For reals.

If you really want to give up, you will. Its that simple. I knew the time was right for me, I felt so down after each ciggy and had started to get palpitations. There was no real enjoyment left in it, just guilt.

Started today with the Ginola method.

Washed your hair or bought a Renault?

:icon_lol:

Just one after meals. It's hell. :)

Thats an easy one to cope with, eat more often.

:icon_lol::lol:

Guest Barrack Road

The last tab I had was Fratton Park 2005. Most terrible 0-0 draw I've ever seen. I got back to the pub with my mate, beside Fratton station, he said fuck me you're white as a sheet, I felt rough as fuck, looked in the mirror and thought fuckin hell. I'd smoked about 20 that day, and had at least 40 on a night out in London the night before, they were fucking me up, and they were making hangovers ten times worse, I was weazing, it was effecting my football, so I thought right fuck it. No more, and that was the last tab I ever had. First three days were really hard then I found it plain sailing. Saying the last tab I've ever had I've had joints since, like the weekend, but that's getting knocked on the head too.

Having said that when I'm out and I see people smoking at the doors I always fancy one, but would never go back. You can tell who smokes and who doesn't from early 30's onwards by peoples skin.

Was really rough this morning with an insane craving going on...Feeling jumpy, neck pains and a vague sense of feeling lost... :lol: Has one after lunch it felt like heaven.

Guest Barrack Road
Quite simply fucking speechless :lol: A must see video.....

Not keeping the weight off tho. :icon_lol:

:icon_lol::) :) :)

Only a smoker would make that comment without anything else.

• 1 month later...
Guest Tuco Ramirez

After 5 years I've started smoking again :) I've had 20 tabs since Saturday, I'm going to have to stop again and go cold turkey. It's so easy to start again.

After 5 years I've started smoking again :) I've had 20 tabs since Saturday, I'm going to have to stop again and go cold turkey. It's so easy to start again.

tbf I think you're fucked for a while, Ive done that before and I found it extremely difficult to stop again, your mind is now in smoking mode and you need to get it back into being ready to quit.

i had a big row with the wife on saturday. got drunk and kept having a go at her for not letting me smoke. everyone else we were out with was puffing away. it's still driving me nuts but only when i've had a drink.

it's still driving me nuts but only when i've had a drink.

What is, being under the thumb or not smoking?

:)

ha, i don't know which one is worse.

smoking & no sex

or

sex & no smoking

i thoguth the under the thumb route would prove easier. so far hasn't been the case