Cornwall, Is it worth the trek

Christmas Tree

I went to Torquay a few weeks back. Nice in the day time - charvtastic in the evening.

I went about 2 years ago, pure shit, the beach is nothing special and they've got a Hoppings on the seafront. You're right about the evenings, full of mongs.

St.Ives everytime.

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I much prefer Devon! the beaches in Cornwall are good but the countryside is no where near as nice as Devon.

The surfing in North Devon is good at places like Croyde (gets very busy) and Saunton Sands (great beach)

East Devon (where I live) is very beautiful with rolling hills and woodland, and the South Hams are stunning Blackpool beach reminds me of Greece and Salcombe, Dartmouth are great for yachting etc.

The weather has been awful for the last 3 summers, hopefully we will have a decent summer this year!!!

Just googled south hams and this picture keeps coming up. Can you say where it is? Also any reccomendations for nice port towns in Devon. Something along the Weymouth lines perhaps.

area2.jpg

Thats Blackpool sands!!

Salcombe and Dartmouth are good if you like ports/yachting.

I was just going to post thats Blackpool Sands...near Slapton Sands. Stunning there. You cant beat Devon as we have it all....beautful coast, picturesque villages and wild Moors. Talking of Dartmoor, went up around Widecombe the other day (went to see the 'Giants chair') walked up to Houndtor. North Devon is lovely, Lynton and Lynmouth worth a visit, you have to go on the cliff railway there. I never forget how lucky I am to live down here.

I like Cornwall, definitely worth a visit. its true the Cornish are weird folk though :) I love it around Tintagel, Boscastle is interesting. Newquay, St Ives, Loo and Polperro are fine but can get very busy. Bloody Grockles everywhere :)

I went to Torquay a few weeks back. Nice in the day time - charvtastic in the evening.

I went about 2 years ago, pure shit, the beach is nothing special and they've got a Hoppings on the seafront. You're right about the evenings, full of mongs.

St.Ives everytime.

Hang on a minute!!! :) I suppose by 'beach' you mean Torre Abbey on the seafront? Thats ok but nothing special...you should have done some research first and gone to Broadsands, Hollocombe or Goodrington. Bet you didnt visit Shaldon, Cockington or Babbacombe either? It pisses me off when people slag Torquay off and yet dont actually see half of it!!! Even our worst places are better than most of the scummy shit-hole towns and citys in England!

Oh and what the hell is Hoppings?

IF you mean a Fair...thats only there for a few weeks in the summer for the likes of you (Grockles) We're all glad when its pissed off tbh!

Edited by Toonraider

St.Ives everytime.

Hang on a minute!!! :) I suppose by 'beach' you mean Torre Abbey on the seafront? Thats ok but nothing special...you should have done some research first and gone to Broadsands, Hollocombe or Goodrington. Bet you didnt visit Shaldon, Cockington or Babbacombe either? It pisses me off when people slag Torquay off and yet dont actually see half of it!!! Even our worst places are better than most of the scummy shit-hole towns and citys in England!

:)

What's the point in nice beaches anyway when the water is too cold to swim in? And full of Lion's mane jellyfish apparently.

Plenty of nice beaches elsewhere as well - what about Drurudge bay, Bamburgh, and Alnmouth here? Or some spectacular coves you get in the Western Isles where you won't see anyone else for days on end? I'm not sold on the South West just yet.

Cornwall is a strange place full of strange people. There's fuck all happening in the off season and in the holidays it's jammed full of tourists. Anywhere worth visiting is impossible to drive through or park in. It's overpriced and inconveniently located. Land's End is a car park and they charge you for access to a promontory, fuck that. It's full of shit holes like Penzance, the Eden Project is overrated, the sea is cold and there are virtually no trees anywhere. The weather is marginally better than the rest of the UK but that still makes it shit.

So no, it's not worth visiting. Apart from Mevagissey. If you can get parked that is.

Cornwall is a strange place full of strange people. There's fuck all happening in the off season and in the holidays it's jammed full of tourists. Anywhere worth visiting is impossible to drive through or park in. It's overpriced and inconveniently located. Land's End is a car park and they charge you for access to a promontory, fuck that. It's full of shit holes like Penzance, the Eden Project is overrated, the sea is cold and there are virtually no trees anywhere. The weather is marginally better than the rest of the UK but that still makes it shit.

So no, it's not worth visiting. Apart from Mevagissey. If you can get parked that is.

Mevagissey is a nightmare for cars. Had to reverse halfway round the village to let a brewery wagon out once. Mousehole is the same, if not worse, so is Lamorna Cove (although that was beautiful the day we were there).

Very windy as well and the locals are defninitely racist.

The Eden Project is worth a visit if you like that sort of thing, but again mega-busy. I actually prefered The Lost Gardens of Helligan, much more relaxed.

I was at Eden about 3 weeks ago and it was very quiet - it was a sunny day and they reckoned all the grockles were on the beach..........

St.Ives everytime.

Hang on a minute!!! :angry: I suppose by 'beach' you mean Torre Abbey on the seafront? Thats ok but nothing special...you should have done some research first and gone to Broadsands, Hollocombe or Goodrington. Bet you didnt visit Shaldon, Cockington or Babbacombe either? It pisses me off when people slag Torquay off and yet dont actually see half of it!!! Even our worst places are better than most of the scummy shit-hole towns and citys in England!

:icon_lol:

What's the point in nice beaches anyway when the water is too cold to swim in? And full of Lion's mane jellyfish apparently.

Plenty of nice beaches elsewhere as well - what about Drurudge bay, Bamburgh, and Alnmouth here? Or some spectacular coves you get in the Western Isles where you won't see anyone else for days on end? I'm not sold on the South West just yet.

there's cold and COLD

The Eden Project is worth a visit if you like that sort of thing, but again mega-busy. I actually prefered The Lost Gardens of Helligan, much more relaxed.

I was at Eden about 3 weeks ago and it was very quiet - it was a sunny day and they reckoned all the grockles were on the beach..........

Grockles in Devon Emmet's in Cornwall :jester::dancing: