Photography

JawD

Thats one fucking happy dog :angry:

(replied to your pm btw)

In fact! I just browsed across this, I knew I reckognised that dog!

timed-sports-photography-11.jpg

on the link I put in funny pics yesterday, there are some crackers on that page

• Replies 206
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 weeks later...

On the first shot, Id have had more grass/sea/skt shown but still framed it with the sides, then decided if the ground was more interesting than the sky and filled the more interesting part 2/3 of the height. Second shot is good but the third shot I love and has great composition.

On the first shot, Id have had more grass/sea/skt shown but still framed it with the sides, then decided if the ground was more interesting than the sky and filled the more interesting part 2/3 of the height. Second shot is good but the third shot I love and has great composition.

Thanks for the feedback. :lol:

Nice, lad I work with has a canon and rates it highly. Nikon man myself.

Yeah I was recommended canon by someone who knows their stuff... They said that there's not really much difference between them and Nikon tho, just comes down to personal preference really as both are similarly excellent.

Gotta wait 5 days for delivery tho so thats gonna be a killer!

Got a great deal on it mind... £320 brand new ;)

Yeah I was recommended canon by someone who knows their stuff... They said that there's not really much difference between them and Nikon tho, just comes down to personal preference really as both are similarly excellent.

Brand New with a lens??? Where from?

Edited by Ruler of Planet Houston

Brand New with a lens??? Where from?

Ebay. I say brand new... its an ex display model (been in a display case for one month) but comes with a full one year warrantly etc.

Hell of a bargain when its £550 in a lot of shops!

I really like black and white portrait and landscapes with a red filter, both of which this is. Composition I'd have done a little different perhaps. subjects are a little central. Sky is interesting as is the dog. Id maybe have shot from the ground low down, up at the dog closer up with the two kids walking behind to taking in more sky. As the people are walking left to right Id have put them more left of centre walking into the frame. But, thats just my interpretation and I like my shots to my a bit different. ;)

I really like black and white portrait and landscapes with a red filter, both of which this is. Composition I'd have done a little different perhaps. subjects are a little central. Sky is interesting as is the dog. Id maybe have shot from the ground low down, up at the dog closer up with the two kids walking behind to taking in more sky. As the people are walking left to right Id have put them more left of centre walking into the frame. But, thats just my interpretation and I like my shots to my a bit different. ;)

This was my mates 'pick of the bunch' that he took. His opinion of course. We are going to redo them anyhow. This is for a big canvas & her indoors is not happy with the clothes the boys had on!! Trouble is, it will be end of october when i'm back in Uk to get it done & as my mate says, 'skies will be full of Autumn shit'

This was my mates 'pick of the bunch' that he took. His opinion of course. We are going to redo them anyhow. This is for a big canvas & her indoors is not happy with the clothes the boys had on!! Trouble is, it will be end of october when i'm back in Uk to get it done & as my mate says, 'skies will be full of Autumn shit'

Does he still have the RAW file? Could just crop it and zoom in at least.

Does he still have the RAW file? Could just crop it and zoom in at least.

Yeah he has all files still. The best ones he sent to me as TIFFS. I have them all as jpegs. This was one of the others i liked, but the missus said the dog looked wrong, also my mate didn't like the effect of the clouds.

yacko6bw.th.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

yeah again kids too far to the right, though would look canny cropped but without dog. Maybe just use first as is, or crop so kids are bottom left.

yeah again kids too far to the right, though would look canny cropped but without dog. Maybe just use first as is, or crop so kids are bottom left.

Cheers for the input, always nice to get a different opinion, i'll be sure to show the re-done photos. May try without the dog. Never work with kids or animals....and they are both in shot. very hard to get it to look natural.

Cheers for the input, always nice to get a different opinion, i'll be sure to show the re-done photos. May try without the dog. Never work with kids or animals....and they are both in shot. very hard to get it to look natural.

Ive got hundreds of my kids, but the best ones are always when they dont realise I am taking a photo.

• 2 weeks later...

Great photos.

Been a bit quiet from me in here, but there will be lots on the way. After moving down to Oxford last week it has been a hectic one, so with Freshers week nearly over I will be looking to take advantage of a beautiful city.

What an epic thread. I never knew so many of you were into photography. Some incredible pics too. :lol:

I've got well into it myself this year. I've always liked the idea of it but never really got my head around all the technical elements (aperture/shutter speed/ISO etc) until now.

I'm just finding what it is I like most but I do have a soft spot for lomography/cross processing as well as b&w. I bought a Nikon FE off ebay this year and I'm having great fun, although processing here's a bit steep. I reckon I'm going to have a bash at developing at home this winter.

+1 on Hipstamatic. MrsA has an iphone so we've had some fun with that. It's great for the few pounds it costs.

I have a Nikon D40 which is my main camera. I had it for about 3 years until I got the hang of it. Lastly I just bought an original LOMO LC-A, again off ebay. The Lomography site has done a cracking marketing job but the new version is twice what I paid. I'm going to take a load of pics on my drive up through Europe and experiment with different film types etc.

I'll upload a few random pics for now, including some of the first batch of cross processed ones. I tweaked some of them in Gimp because they weren't all that when I got them back.

A dried out something or other in the town where I live in France....moody sky, used my Nikon FE film camera with Kodak slide film. You can get it developed as negative film which gives it the strange colours.

Photo01_1.jpg

Same camera/film/process...a street.... :cry:

Photo07_7.jpg

As above but in the local supermarket

Photo19_21.jpg

...um....mackerel! Shot on my D40. If you get close it's easy to blur the background.

DSC_0010z.jpg

D40. Mrs A walking out of the Cathedral near where we live (not religious but it's a cool building). It was last summer, early morning and the light was really nice.

DSC_0028.jpg

D40. Steps at a Matisse museum somewhere in northern France. Taken during a stopover on the way down to moving here. It's been tweaked in GIMP to give it a cross processed look. It's dead easy and I like the look of it.

DSC_0292XPro.jpg

Older camera, a Pentax point and shoot called an Optio SVi. Somewhere near-ish to where we used to live in Northumberland (Glanton). Cross processed in GIMP.

IMGP3214XPro.jpg

Optio SVi. Some weird Narnia type building in Glanton area. Given a washed out vintage look in GIMP.

IMGP3203vintage.jpg

MrsA's iphone using the excellent Hipstamatic app. Myspace stylee self portrait. I am old enough to know better.

IMG_1114.jpg

D40. Fish in the local market. Couldn't get the white balance right. I was using an old Nikon manual lens which are cheap as chips off ebay. Have a slightly different look to modern lenses. (£20-£50)

DSC_0368.jpg

D40. Montpellier just a couple of weeks ago. Using the kit lens at its widest setting of 18mm. Almost a fisheye look. Used the in camera B&W setting.

DSC_0917.jpg

D40. An early morning scamper where I live about a month or two ago. The light was nice so I snapped this.

DSC_0067.jpg

D40. Neighbour's cat. Didn't do anything to this one, just got lucky with the focus and the cat was a natural!

DSC_0041.jpg

D40. No processing. Inside the Cathedral. Taken on the day a friend of mine on a music forum passed away suddenly. Never met him but he was a cool guy.

DSC_0468.jpg

Optio Svi with some GIMP processing. An early morning walk from a few years back when I was living in Glanton.

2005-10-09011XPro.jpg

Edited by Asprilla

Some cracking shots there. Only been going 10 months myself. See you're picking up a lot of the usual things on composition. Like where you positioned that cow, the sngle in the church, the framing using the trees, the castle 3rd way down image, the DOF on the fish, all good stuff. I like the image of the steps as well :lol:

Should get these stuck in the photography forum.

Some cracking shots there. Only been going 10 months myself. See you're picking up a lot of the usual things on composition. Like where you positioned that cow, the sngle in the church, the framing using the trees, the castle 3rd way down image, the DOF on the fish, all good stuff. I like the image of the steps as well :cry:

Should get these stuck in the photography forum.

Thanks man, I didn't see there was a whole forum for photos! :lol: I shall post all future pics in there. :nufc:

I appreciate the kind words. I took most of these before I'd done much reading up on the general rules/guides to composing a shot so there are probably a lot of things I could have done better. Although saying that, it's nice to not think too much because it's only a hobby for me.