Photography

JawD

• Replies 206
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You all know of any good sites/ magazines/ books that explain the guidelines for composition and whatnot? The wife has developed a flair for photography and is hinting around that she'd like a nicer camera for Christmas this year, but I'd like to see her refine the raw talent she obviously possesses a bit more and see if it's something she's going to continue to be interested in before I shell out the bucks, y'know?

There's a couple of university's around that I'm sure do photography classes, but with the young 'un and both of us working, the odds of her making a regularly scheduled class for a semester is fairly slim.

Cid others might be able to help you with sites and books but personally I wouldn't bother with the classes.

Your missus has the perfect opportunity for subject matter with the bairn.

It's all about practice and experimentation. And with digital cameras there is no excuse not to take as many shots of the same subject.

Without spending a fortune buy her a camera that she can manually over-ride focus/exposure and preferably with changeable lenses, that way you can up grade it over time into a kit, not just a camera.

Make sure it is a mainstream lens mount, canon/nikon and not something like an m42 screw mount - not as readily available therefore more expensive.

Something like this:

Canon EOS Rebel kit

You all know of any good sites/ magazines/ books that explain the guidelines for composition and whatnot? The wife has developed a flair for photography and is hinting around that she'd like a nicer camera for Christmas this year, but I'd like to see her refine the raw talent she obviously possesses a bit more and see if it's something she's going to continue to be interested in before I shell out the bucks, y'know?

There's a couple of university's around that I'm sure do photography classes, but with the young 'un and both of us working, the odds of her making a regularly scheduled class for a semester is fairly slim.

Photography classes are a waste of time IMHO, the source of info available on the net like youtube and photography forums is much better, especially for the basics when starting out, I've done landscapes for over 3 years now and moving onto the strobist side of things for portraits, would post a few shots but I deleted my Flickr/Redbubble account recently when I lost my mojo.

THIS book is highly recommended of in the tog world

Thanks to the both of you!

Two more great photos, JawD. Do you do much editing after you've taken the photo in Photoshop or the like?

I'm getting a little annoyed that I haven't really had anything to photograph recently. Been experimenting with light drawing, but haven't quite got the knack of being invisible in them yet!

4851075712_47e94f7c90_b.jpg

Hey nice. I take it thats just using a long exposure?

I dont mess around too much in Photoshop. Im really not that great in it. Mainly just adjust white balance (I shoot in RAW), exposure and then I often like to deepen blacks and add contract. Maybe crop to improve composition.

Yeah, just on a long exposure and some speedy arm work!

I have only shot a few things in RAW. Been practising with this HDR stuff, so shoot all them in RAW and edit them in some odd program. Have been using Photoshop for much longer than I have been Photographing, so that has come in pretty handy really!

I have only shot a few things in RAW. Been practising with this HDR stuff, so shoot all them in RAW and edit them in some odd program. Have been using Photoshop for much longer than I have been Photographing, so that has come in pretty handy really!

Im going to have a play on with HDR this week, trouble is that the best HDR shots seem to be taken at dusk so you have a mix of artificial and natural light and Im not getting much chance to get out at that time of day. :)

See, I know that the best time to take photographs is the start and end of the day, I just never get around to it at these times. More likely will towards the winter. Where is that HF? Just looking at the tree's.

See, I know that the best time to take photographs is the start and end of the day, I just never get around to it at these times. More likely will towards the winter. Where is that HF? Just looking at the tree's.

I try and make an effort when I go away. I got some great shots in Venice just by virtue of being up and about at about 6.30 am rather than when there's millions of tourists everywhere.

Car Park in Busch Gardens in Florida.

Do they still give away free beer there btw? You were only supposed to have two or something but my Dad and Uncle kept going back in shit disguises like wearing a cap and sunglasses, although the staff didn't seem to give a shit anyway :)

Guest Tuco Ramirez

My mates been there, every year he goes to a different resort that's got the biggest rollercoasters in the world. That Busch Gardens is massive apparently.

Do they still give away free beer there btw? You were only supposed to have two or something but my Dad and Uncle kept going back in shit disguises like wearing a cap and sunglasses, although the staff didn't seem to give a shit anyway :razz:

My uncle told me all about the free beer so I was looking forward to it.....but they have stopped it now. :icon_lol:

It's all piss anyway :)

Do they still give away free beer there btw? You were only supposed to have two or something but my Dad and Uncle kept going back in shit disguises like wearing a cap and sunglasses, although the staff didn't seem to give a shit anyway :razz:

My uncle told me all about the free beer so I was looking forward to it.....but they have stopped it now. :icon_lol:

It's all piss anyway :)

No doubt spoilt by people like my Dad taking the piss, if you pardon the pun.

I used to quite like Michelob mind although I haven't had it for ages and the Bud over there tastes a bit better than the Bud here too. Busch is pretty naff stuff. like.

My mates been there, every year he goes to a different resort that's got the biggest rollercoasters in the world. That Busch Gardens is massive apparently.

For rollercoasters Busch was the best we went to by far.

Im going to have a play on with HDR this week, trouble is that the best HDR shots seem to be taken at dusk so you have a mix of artificial and natural light and Im not getting much chance to get out at that time of day. :)

Aye, that photo of my street on the previous page was taken at dusk. As has been said, either the start or end of the day is the best time to get Photos. On the day I leave Bristol there are some balloons that are let off at sunrise, so I'm hoping to get up and get down there to get some shots of them as the sun rises.

Just been looking through some old photographs and found this one:

20090622220240.jpg

Was taken from my ex's top floor bedroom, and just with my phone. Who says you need the expensive DSLR to be a photographer ey!? :razz: (Yeah I know it would have been 10x better as a HDR shot with a DSLR, but ssh!)

Edited by Nyff

Not as into my photography as some of you lot like, but nevertheless, here's a few I took in Oz a while ago:-

SDC10363.jpg

SDC10335-Copy.jpg

SDC10304.jpg

SDC10303.jpg

SDC10292CropFix.jpg

SDC10260.jpg

SDC10192Straight.jpg

Took this one by accident when I nearly dropped my camera, but I quite like it. :)

SDC10154.jpg

As a none phototographer I quite enjoy reading this thread and seeing some of the photos, however do some of you not think you are concentrating too much on the effect the equipment can produce rather than the subject matter.

Surely the fun is in creating a photo that is unique 'ish rather than just well developed.

Simply putting a boring subject into black and white must wear thin very quickly.

Creativity should win everytime.

Just my two penneth.

Keep up the good work. :)