Photography

JawD

Aye the rules of composition are just there as a guide and also there to be broken. But overall by considering them for a shot before you take it does make you think more about what the image is.

• Replies 206
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Was in Next the other day and they had one of those fancy boxed canvas pics of Bamburgh Castle. Colours were amazing and pointed out to my lass who replied "shite composition". They'd put the castle on the extreme lower right of the picture and the rest was sky and sea of the approximate proportions 2/3 sky, 1/3 sea. They hadn't even bothered with any of the dunes.

By ignoring the dunes they miss the point imho.

The only problem I have with including them is what to crop and what to keep.

F1000003.jpg

Below is one of my favourite shots. Only problem is it was taken on a 3mb digital camera that had been set to medium quality because the lass thought it was better to get more images on the card!!!

Sunset across Schwerin See.

deutschland2006189.jpg

Edited by sammynb

I can understand why you've taken it like you have (to get the rainbow in) but it's an example of where the composition needs working on. Basic rule is to work in horizontal thirds with the pitch, the stand and then sky each taking up an equal share of the photo. Although in your case you're pretty restricted to location where you take the photo so it could be difficult to adjust.

Was in Next the other day and they had one of those fancy boxed canvas pics of Bamburgh Castle. Colours were amazing and pointed out to my lass who replied "shite composition". They'd put the castle on the extreme lower right of the picture and the rest was sky and sea of the approximate proportions 2/3 sky, 1/3 sea. They hadn't even bothered with any of the dunes.

The rule of thirds doesn't always apply, particularly in landscapes. Sometimes its the big sky that has all the drama in a picture (like the one below).

Also, if you're doing a panoramic crop having a narrow strip of land at the bottom and the rest sky gives a sense of wide open space.

37382427.jpg

Just to comment on some of these:

@Sammy - The castle pic, great how the everything pulls your eye to the castle. Something Ive only just started doing is getting more foreground in my landscape shots as like you have shown it gives a better feel for scale and distance.

@Nyff You're getting some great images with that camera. Very industrial feel to that with the tractor. Are you using a filter?

@DrK Good example of breaking the rules, agzain are you using a filter there or are the colours enhanced?

Cheers JD.

Light and the use of it can take an ordinary photo and make it something interesting.

These two were taken one after the other but are worlds apart.

F1000030.jpg

F1000031-1.jpg

And sometimes a fuck up can give you an image that just strikes a chord.

This is a double exposure, you can see the separate frames in the left and right channels.

What happened is with a 36 roll in the voightlander, the camera has issues winding on for the last couple of frames.

Most of the time you end up with useless frames but this one is amazing, frame one is setting up for the shot both the photographer and cameraman, frame two is car in action and everyone trying to catch the money shot.

F1010025-1.jpg

You all know of any good sites/ magazines/ books that explain the guidelines for composition and whatnot? The wife has developed a flair for photography and is hinting around that she'd like a nicer camera for Christmas this year, but I'd like to see her refine the raw talent she obviously possesses a bit more and see if it's something she's going to continue to be interested in before I shell out the bucks, y'know?

There's a couple of university's around that I'm sure do photography classes, but with the young 'un and both of us working, the odds of her making a regularly scheduled class for a semester is fairly slim.

You all know of any good sites/ magazines/ books that explain the guidelines for composition and whatnot? The wife has developed a flair for photography and is hinting around that she'd like a nicer camera for Christmas this year, but I'd like to see her refine the raw talent she obviously possesses a bit more and see if it's something she's going to continue to be interested in before I shell out the bucks, y'know?

There's a couple of university's around that I'm sure do photography classes, but with the young 'un and both of us working, the odds of her making a regularly scheduled class for a semester is fairly slim.

Cid others might be able to help you with sites and books but personally I wouldn't bother with the classes.

Your missus has the perfect opportunity for subject matter with the bairn.

It's all about practice and experimentation. And with digital cameras there is no excuse not to take as many shots of the same subject.

Without spending a fortune buy her a camera that she can manually over-ride focus/exposure and preferably with changeable lenses, that way you can up grade it over time into a kit, not just a camera.

Make sure it is a mainstream lens mount, canon/nikon and not something like an m42 screw mount - not as readily available therefore more expensive.

Something like this:

Canon EOS Rebel kit

Edited by sammynb

Photography classes are a waste of time IMHO, the source of info available on the net like youtube and photography forums is much better, especially for the basics when starting out, I've done landscapes for over 3 years now and moving onto the strobist side of things for portraits, would post a few shots but I deleted my Flickr/Redbubble account recently when I lost my mojo.

THIS book is highly recommended of in the tog world

Edited by @yourservice

cruise029.jpg

Was reminded of this one I took on me hols last year which doesn't follow the rule of thirds but still works I think.

Tractor Mk. 2

4841951062_7c756114b4_z.jpg

Have been short of anything worth taking a photograph of recently. Off to Bristol in a week though and they have the hot air balloon festival on which should provide me with something decent to photograph!

(Not sure if I posted this one either:

4835509898_5b353463e8.jpg

)

Edited by Nyff

4835509898_5b353463e8.jpg

That looks like Newbridge Hill in Bath. I'm probably a million miles from where it actually is like... :)

Is the street my house is on, all the way up in Lancashire! Not quite a million miles, maybe just a couple of hundred!

Couple more recent ones. I still dont have my ND filter which I want to start doing landscape stuff.

4846337147_49a0605908.jpg

4846333877_d7a75e116f.jpg

4846954778_f304285ae0.jpg

I remember when WUMs used to actually give it an effort :)

I feel quite offended by the poor quality of the WUM like.