ANOTHER FUCKING DERAILED THREAD

Kevin

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

No. Depends what you want to do or how bad you want to work. Tbf, friend of mine started at McD's and then got an apprentiship at Vickers after college.

No. Depends what you want to do or how bad you want to work. Tbf, friend of mine started at McD's and then got an apprentiship at Vickers after college.

I'm only staying at mcdonalds til next august, then off to belfast for uni, hopefully they can then transfer me over to a one in belfast if thats possible.

If he wants a PS3 he'll be working every hour god sends at £3.75 p/h.

How much to sponsor a cock slap Ant?

I'm only staying at mcdonalds til next august, then off to belfast for uni, hopefully they can then transfer me over to a one in belfast if thats possible.

Keep reaching for the stars kid.

I'm gonna start reading up on courses now because i have to start applying in september.

I also liked the look of business management courses but i seem set on something to do with computers because i've always liked computers and i've always thought i was good enough at them.

i'll get a proper look at all the courses now but

Kevin, take the hint from Ant, someone who knows a bit about it. You're too fucking thick to be involved in any meaningful IT role.

I put myself across as some really thick cunt on this for a few bites because its funny, its amusing watching people snap at every single post I make. I'm actually smart.

Kevin, take the hint from Ant, someone who knows a bit about it. You're too fucking thick to be involved in any meaningful IT role.

I put myself across as some really thick cunt on this for a few bites because its funny, its amusing watching people snap at every single post I make. I'm actually smart.

You certainly are not.

ICT doesn't seem like a good career route to go down now a days IMO. Everyone seems to be taking courses in it now and there is alot of competition for jobs, Maybe ten years ago yeah but it seems in 2010 unless your a genius at using them then there is no point. I may be wrong but hey my opinion.

I'm gonna start reading up on courses now because i have to start applying in september.

I also liked the look of business management courses but i seem set on something to do with computers because i've always liked computers and i've always thought i was good enough at them.

i'll get a proper look at all the courses now but

Cousins got a masters in business, a years work experience from working in germany as part of the degree, and his da's a director in the bank of Ireland... and he can't get work doing it probably not an ideal course :D

I'd go for computer science if i was you and not software engineering, can get similar sort of paid jobs (just duller), they tend to be Q&A/testers, basically they take what the coders do, with a technical spec or manual and well test it and report bugs.

Wouldn't like the thought of trying to learn to code with no experience for a degree, be surprised if you could get into a soft engineer course without at least a-level maths and computing tbh.

Reading up on the courses at jordanstown of computer science now;

# Computing Science [bSc Hons]

# Computing Science (Artificial Intelligence) [bSc Hons]

# Computing Science (Enterprise Technologies) [bSc Hons]

# Computing Science (Healthcare Technologies) [bSc Hons]

# Computing Science (Network Technologies) [bSc Hons]

# Computing Science (with Integrated Foundation Year) [bSc Hons]

# Computing Science with Mathematics [bSc Hons]

Most of them require BB and 280ucas points, no specific subjects. Would probably consider the network technologies one.

ICT doesn't seem like a good career route to go down now a days IMO. Everyone seems to be taking courses in it now and there is alot of competition for jobs, Maybe ten years ago yeah but it seems in 2010 unless your a genius at using them then there is no point. I may be wrong but hey my opinion.

Well you'd think that but there's plenty about still, there was an article the other day saying the uptake of ICT is actually very very poor considering the massive increase in interest with technology and the web.

My best mates a developer as well but in the private sector though, his old company had him going round the colleges and such trying to drum up interest with students and try to get the company's name in peoples heads i guess for after they graduated for positions, and he was saying most of the people he ended up talking to after the open days doing the likes of maths/comps/sciences were all going go for medicine or law.

He'd just changed companies there, he'd applied for two jobs, got 2 offers both on more money and the company he was with tried to keep him as well.

I had a quick look the other day and for the stuff i do atm there seemed to be plenty of .net/c# posts.

Guess for development especially you either have a head for it or you don't maybe why it isn't as hard to get jobs.

but for "generic" jobs and clerical work i guess its a fucker to get a job now at graduate kind of wage. My Kid brothers just passed his degree in politics/history and people with firsts are getting knocked back for the masters courses because everyones just staying on at uni due to lack of jobs.

I see your point. It seems to me though that yeah there are plenty of jobs if your work in areas of ICT which not many people study in. I work with computers everyday :D but i work using GIS based software and i have noticed there are lots of civi jobs about if you can work with GIS. I guess it's the same with other areas too but it does seem with general ICT jobs there is alot of competition.

The network one would be my choice out of those and all tbh, i did a ccna courses years back just out of interest, pissing about with routers and such was interesting enough.

what do you need for Jordanstown's software engineering course out of interest? that's where my mate went to for his (and a couple in my office and all)

The jordanstown courses are actually considered to be better than Queen's btw, but some people will opt for the later just because it sounds better getting your degree from Queens :/

You must satisfy the General Entrance Requirements for admission to a first degree course and hold a GCSE pass in English Language at grade C or above (or eqivalent). You must also hold a GCSE pass in Mathematics at grade B or above (or equivalent).

A level

A minimum of 280 UCAS Tariff Points to include grades BB. All subject areas considered.

The exact same as computer science.

Does this require you to be able to code etc.?

The network one would be my choice out of those and all tbh, i did a ccna courses years back just out of interest, pissing about with routers and such was interesting enough.

what do you need for Jordanstown's software engineering course out of interest? that's where my mate went to for his (and a couple in my office and all)

The jordanstown courses are actually considered to be better than Queen's btw, but some people will opt for the later just because it sounds better getting your degree from Queens :/

You must satisfy the General Entrance Requirements for admission to a first degree course and hold a GCSE pass in English Language at grade C or above (or eqivalent). You must also hold a GCSE pass in Mathematics at grade B or above (or equivalent).

A level

A minimum of 280 UCAS Tariff Points to include grades BB. All subject areas considered.

The exact same as computer science.

Does this require you to be able to code etc.?

Well they'll teach you to code in java probably, which is a good language to learn, but i'd prefer to know how to code in something before that tbh, especially in uni where your kinda left to your own devices, and ya can't really bluff your way with something like this by reading up on it and knocking out an essay, ya either know how to do it or you don't, guess you could do it without knowing much about any languages, but personally i'd hate to sign up for something like that not knowing whether i'd have the head for it or not.

If you do computers for a-level they teach you pascal or delphi or something so you get used to the basics(not that you'll ever ever use them but you learn how things get laid out and how the processes work etc).

Because I changed schools for A Level when we went to decide our subjects (4 days before school started) I didn't have a clue what subjects were on offer, i didn't know my school did Computing which i would've loved to do :D

So the alevels im doing are business studies, ICT, moving images and politics (getting dropped)

can't we ban the majority of these new lads....

its lucky we still have the secret board

Best fucking post I've seen for ages, this place has really been let down of late :D

What do you cover in ICT? it spreadsheets and that sort of stuff?

i always thought the computing alevel was dull as it was! (partly why i never bothered going most of the time).

do they still make people do "Key Skills" or did they jack that in? i remember going to that once for the maths section being handed a page with

"the tree is 5m's tall, the bush beside the tree is 1/5th it's size, what height is the bush?", couldn't believe it i think my exact words, quite hungover on a monday morning we're

"are you taking the piss? i'm doing a-level maths! why have i been told to come to this <muttered expletives>"

Yep, spreadsheets, databases, websites etc. all really simple stuff. What A levels did you do?

no, honestly, you have no idea how hard it is to get a job here?

I've applied for about 15-20 jobs, all the part time ones going

http://www.jobcentreonline.com/JCOLFront/F...reeSearch=derry

now how many jobs there suit a 17 year old who's at school doing alevels full time. exactly, about 5. and that 5 has thousands applying.

I think primark took in 3000 and something application forms a few months ago when they were looking.

either way, i strangley look forward to working in mcdonalds.

All of them if you want work hard enough.

Yep so a 9-5 job whilst doing alevels.

Fuck me you ain't bright, are you?

Bright as a button bonny lad. As I said they're all suitable if you want work hard enough. The patronising aspect of "at school, doing A-Levels" doesn't wash. I've been there and done them myself - I know fine well it isn't a constant Monday to Friday, 9am to 3.30pm.

You want something hard enough, you'll aspire to get it. Take that lass who was on Dragon's Den a few weeks ago - early 20s single mum to a toddler who was also holding down 2½ jobs yet still found the time to design, manufacture and market a non-dairy ice-cream product for which she'd signed a massive deal to supply Tesco. Truly inspirational stuff.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/dragonsden/entreprene...tyhenshaw.shtml

Guest Tuco Ramirez
no, honestly, you have no idea how hard it is to get a job here?

I've applied for about 15-20 jobs, all the part time ones going

http://www.jobcentreonline.com/JCOLFront/F...reeSearch=derry

now how many jobs there suit a 17 year old who's at school doing alevels full time. exactly, about 5. and that 5 has thousands applying.

I think primark took in 3000 and something application forms a few months ago when they were looking.

either way, i strangley look forward to working in mcdonalds.

All of them if you want work hard enough.

Yep so a 9-5 job whilst doing alevels.

Fuck me you ain't bright, are you?

Bright as a button bonny lad. As I said they're all suitable if you want work hard enough. The patronising aspect of "at school, doing A-Levels" doesn't wash. I've been there and done them myself - I know fine well it isn't a constant Monday to Friday, 9am to 3.30pm.

You want something hard enough, you'll aspire to get it. Take that lass who was on Dragon's Den a few weeks ago - early 20s single mum to a toddler who was also holding down 2½ jobs yet still found the time to design, manufacture and market a non-dairy ice-cream product for which she'd signed a massive deal to supply Tesco. Truly inspirational stuff.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/dragonsden/entreprene...tyhenshaw.shtml

I seen that. Everyone of them made her an offer. She made the yoghurt herself cos her bairn didn't like normal yoghurt. Theo was giving her the eye.

Guest Tuco Ramirez
If I remember rightly she did it because he was because he was dairy intollerent.

Something like that. She seemed much nicer than a normal Manc.

Guest Tuco Ramirez
always makes me wonder though. you'd think with the backing she had of orders from tesco and the like she'd have been able to get a better loan off a bank or something without having to give someone 40% of her company.

Mean the only reason you'd go on dragons den knowing full well they'll want double what your willing to offer is all other options are exhausted, i'd have thought hers wouldn't have been

Great advertising though. 6m people seen that, and I bet 1m thought aye I'll buy that like just for the novelty at first and to help the lass.

i always thought the computing alevel was dull as it was! (partly why i never bothered going most of the time).

do they still make people do "Key Skills" or did they jack that in? i remember going to that once for the maths section being handed a page with

"the tree is 5m's tall, the bush beside the tree is 1/5th it's size, what height is the bush?", couldn't believe it i think my exact words, quite hungover on a monday morning we're

"are you taking the piss? i'm doing a-level maths! why have i been told to come to this <muttered expletives>"

Yep, spreadsheets, databases, websites etc. all really simple stuff. What A levels did you do?

Accounts, Maths, Computing (did 1st year of geography and psychology as well but found both boring), never bothered with any of them in truth i was 17 and couldn't be fucked and knew i could pass exams with minimal work when i needed to (i basically read things once and can remember it), didn't bother sitting any of my a-levels bar computers which ironically they couldn't read my abysmal handwriting (which was fair enough i could barely read it, writing at exam speed made it a pain in the arse to keep legible and they wouldn't let me type it). lol actually was walking into my psychology exam and got to the door and thought "i cannot be fucked sitting here getting hand cramp for two hours" turned around and went to see enemy at the gates...rather have had the hand cramp with hind sight.

So never bothered with uni and just went to work instead, few years of generic clerical work and keeping my eye out for i.t posts, eventually one came out with criteria of degrees or certain accreditation's.

Picked out one of the accreditation they needed, paid a few hundred quid to sit the exam for it without taking the course, passed it first attempt.

That got me to the aptitude test phase for the job, came 3rd out of a couple thousand in that (which as my mate who met me for lunch after the test still can't believe how highly i scored as i hadn't slept in 3days and my eyes were bloodshot etc was dead on my feet tbh).

Came in the top panel for the interviews (don't find out actual placing for it but top 5 anyways out of couple hundred going for 30 posts), which got me the job.

like i said if you don't have the letters after your name you need to know your stuff and get a really lucky break, which thankfully i did with the timing, i doubt it'd be possible to do the same now.

Jesus you must be smart then. Don't you regret now not actually sitting those exams but?

always makes me wonder though. you'd think with the backing she had of orders from tesco and the like she'd have been able to get a better loan off a bank or something without having to give someone 40% of her company.

Mean the only reason you'd go on dragons den knowing full well they'll want double what your willing to offer is all other options are exhausted, i'd have thought hers wouldn't have been

Banks haven't been lending a fucking bean for at least 2 years.

It is virtually impossible to get a penny out of them at the minute, for a start up I dread to think how hard it'll be to get backing.

Accounts, Maths, Computing (did 1st year of geography and psychology as well but found both boring), never bothered with any of them in truth i was 17 and couldn't be fucked and knew i could pass exams with minimal work when i needed to (i basically read things once and can remember it), didn't bother sitting any of my a-levels bar computers which ironically they couldn't read my abysmal handwriting (which was fair enough i could barely read it, writing at exam speed made it a pain in the arse to keep legible and they wouldn't let me type it). lol actually was walking into my psychology exam and got to the door and thought "i cannot be fucked sitting here getting hand cramp for two hours" turned around and went to see enemy at the gates...rather have had the hand cramp with hind sight.

So never bothered with uni and just went to work instead, few years of generic clerical work and keeping my eye out for i.t posts, eventually one came out with criteria of degrees or certain accreditation's.

Picked out one of the accreditation they needed, paid a few hundred quid to sit the exam for it without taking the course, passed it first attempt.

That got me to the aptitude test phase for the job, came 3rd out of a couple thousand in that (which as my mate who met me for lunch after the test still can't believe how highly i scored as i hadn't slept in 3days and my eyes were bloodshot etc was dead on my feet tbh).

Came in the top panel for the interviews (don't find out actual placing for it but top 5 anyways out of couple hundred going for 30 posts), which got me the job.

like i said if you don't have the letters after your name you need to know your stuff and get a really lucky break, which thankfully i did with the timing, i doubt it'd be possible to do the same now.

Jesus you must be smart then. Don't you regret now not actually sitting those exams but?

regret not going to Uni aye more for the experience than the outcome although it would make going for jobs easier than it is now (no degree for me means building up the "or X yrs experience" angle for shortlisting)

then i don't know if i'd have the same job as i do now if i did, guess it'd be likely i'd have something similar going on how my mate has ended up down the same sort of path.

Never know though, atm i'm the youngest in my office by about 5yrs, rest are all uni grads or in the job/dept for 15yrs+, all my group of friends went to uni only really one of which (the one above) earns more than me, some would be a good 6k a year or more less.

Either way happy enough where i am for the moment, do the job i said i wanted to do as a kid (not making mario games mind) and i'm well paid for it, been thinking about taking an O.U degree just to see if i could get one tbh, and with one of those it means i can batter through it quicker than it's intended.

Well least you ended up with a job that pays well and that you enjoy.

is jobs in the I.T sector hard to get?

regret not going to Uni aye more for the experience than the outcome although it would make going for jobs easier than it is now (no degree for me means building up the "or X yrs experience" angle for shortlisting)

then i don't know if i'd have the same job as i do now if i did, guess it'd be likely i'd have something similar going on how my mate has ended up down the same sort of path.

Never know though, atm i'm the youngest in my office by about 5yrs, rest are all uni grads or in the job/dept for 15yrs+, all my group of friends went to uni only really one of which (the one above) earns more than me, some would be a good 6k a year or more less.

Either way happy enough where i am for the moment, do the job i said i wanted to do as a kid (not making mario games mind) and i'm well paid for it, been thinking about taking an O.U degree just to see if i could get one tbh, and with one of those it means i can batter through it quicker than it's intended.

Well least you ended up with a job that pays well and that you enjoy.

is jobs in the I.T sector hard to get?

Yes, they is.