Do you believe in ghosts?

Kevin

I think you're still being a bit unfair, I've never known a scientist who believes that science answers all questions, and rarely have I met one that thinks it ever will. Science in my experience is not snobbish. And despite contributing most of what makes modern life so bearable, in general scientists are massively underpaid - one reason I have left the field. Oh aye, scientists are constantly mocked by the media ('boffins') and portrayed as nerdish stereotypes as well.

My personal thoughts are that the limitations of the human brain are what will stop us getting to the ultimate 'truth'. As for intuition, imagination, irrationality, mystery, that's all fair enough but I honestly don't think they contribute to our understanding of the world. Intuition, particularly, is often wrong, especially when considering matters such as probability (there are some really interesting counterintuitive puzzles out there).

As for ghosts, if they are part of the physical world, then they should be able to be investigated using physical (scientific) techniques. If they are beyond science ('supernatural') then you have free reign to believe whatever you want, aren't you? Personally I'm of the opinion that we live in a real, physical, Universe; that the mind is a product of the brain; and that there is no reason at all to believe the mind can survive the death of the brain. Moreover, I wouldn't want it to, in the context of ghosts I mean, it sounds like a prospect much worse than death.

Aha, you've got full blown science ;) I'm on a hiding to nothing here :o

Regarding human limits, it seems likely that we'll design machines that will take the problems off our hands. Maybe they'll be better scientists than humans ever could be.

I think you're right, being a ghost doesn't seem much of a laugh. Maybe that's why they're usually reported as sad or pissed off....

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

One of the biggest flaws in humans is their obsession and need to explain and make sense of things.

I'd say it was our greatest strength ;)

I wrote an article on the existence of time (for fun of course) and my belief is that time only exists because we, as humans, need it to to explain changes in sound, vision senses etc... Letting go of the need to explain things such as time can give you a whole new outlook on life!

I'm thinking out loud a bit here, but why is it that time is the same all over the world?

I know we have time zones and daylight savings, but how is it that we managed to agree on a global scale that a second should be a certain length, that we should have 60 of those in a minute, 60 of those in an hour and 24 of those in a day but we couldn't agree on things like a universal language or currency?

I reckon the basic premise comes from measuring a day (how much sun time we have) to help with harvests and the like so we could all have the same basic outline for time - although wouldn't the length of day change depending on a country's proximity to the equator? - but that we all filled in that outline with the same details is what baffles me.

Probably the same as with all scientific discoveries. Someone managed to work out a 'clock' and it was globally accepted. The length of the day is irrelevant as it could have been based on a year (revolution of the sun) then divided into smaller units, then divided again and again. The length of the days being 24 hours was probably based on the fact that most intelligent people at the time lived in more central parts of the world...although I'm sure the days would be the same everywhere (365/366 p/annum) apart from the 30 days of night in certain parts of the globe buggering it up. The fact that we need a leap year shows it is still all bollocks anyway.

Th Mayans had it nailed like. None of this leap year shite.

How can a leap year be avoided?

Just stay in bed that day.

Well ok, Im not sure how they tackled that (cant be arsed to look). But their set up was much easier to follow.

Well ok, Im not sure how they tackled that (cant be arsed to look). But their set up was much easier to follow.

Ok, seems they had a huge party every 52 years that corrected 13 days. Thats some hangover.

Edited by JawD

But the time it takes the Earth to move around the Sun and rotate on its axis are constants, surely? There are approximately 365.25 revolutions of the Earth in one year, hence the need for a leap day every 4 years, can't see how that could be bypassed.

I've heard proposals to decimalise the time within a day, be a massive headache though, instead the second is regarded as the SI unit for time. The Saudis are trying to make us all use Mecca time as well I read recently.

Ok, seems they had a huge party every 52 years that corrected 13 days. Thats some hangover.

If you're lucky you might experience two of them. ;)

I'm sure if they did away with the leap year we wouldn't notice any difference. If it was bang on with snow in the winter, sun in the summer etc... mebbies. But it snows in mid summer and is sunny in the autumn these days so just scrap that extra day and be done with it!

Think you'd have noticed this year like ;)

But the time it takes the Earth to move around the Sun and rotate on its axis are constants, surely? There are approximately 365.25 revolutions of the Earth in one year, hence the need for a leap day every 4 years, can't see how that could be bypassed.

I've heard proposals to decimalise the time within a day, be a massive headache though, instead the second is regarded as the SI unit for time. The Saudis are trying to make us all use Mecca time as well I read recently.

They are constant yes, while we catch up every 4 years, they done it in 52 years. Their actual method for the no of revolutions is said to be slightly more accurate. (I dont know it, Id need to google that ;) )

One of the biggest flaws in humans is their obsession and need to explain and make sense of things.

I'd say it was our greatest strength :)

I wrote an article on the existence of time (for fun of course) and my belief is that time only exists because we, as humans, need it to to explain changes in sound, vision senses etc... Letting go of the need to explain things such as time can give you a whole new outlook on life!

I'm thinking out loud a bit here, but why is it that time is the same all over the world?

I know we have time zones and daylight savings, but how is it that we managed to agree on a global scale that a second should be a certain length, that we should have 60 of those in a minute, 60 of those in an hour and 24 of those in a day but we couldn't agree on things like a universal language or currency?

I reckon the basic premise comes from measuring a day (how much sun time we have) to help with harvests and the like so we could all have the same basic outline for time - although wouldn't the length of day change depending on a country's proximity to the equator? - but that we all filled in that outline with the same details is what baffles me.

Probably the same as with all scientific discoveries. Someone managed to work out a 'clock' and it was globally accepted. The length of the day is irrelevant as it could have been based on a year (revolution of the sun) then divided into smaller units, then divided again and again. The length of the days being 24 hours was probably based on the fact that most intelligent people at the time lived in more central parts of the world...although I'm sure the days would be the same everywhere (365/366 p/annum) apart from the 30 days of night in certain parts of the globe buggering it up. The fact that we need a leap year shows it is still all bollocks anyway.

Hold on though, is this not a chicken and egg scenario?

How could you measure how long it took for the earth to rotate around the sun if you have no unit of measurement? Also how did they know? Was there a landmark on the sun that they said "once that gets directly in line with this tree then thats a full revolution"? What happens if its a cloudy day when it reaches that point?

On an issue related to the OP, does anyone believe in mediums? I've always thought it was hocus pocus but some of my family swear by them.

In NZ we have a TV show (Sensing Murder) where mediums try to solve cold cases. No details of the case are allegedly given in advance and they are expected to work it out solely through talking to the dead. I'm not convinced but the missus is well into it and resents me sneering at it (I call it "Touching Cloth").

Are mediums skilful fraudsters or just mentally ill ? Some people do seem to think mediums are genuine and there have been some famous cases trying to prove/disprove their so-called abilities. Has anyone consulted one?

Be a good source of racing tips if you could find a real one....

On an issue related to the OP, does anyone believe in mediums? I've always thought it was hocus pocus but some of my family swear by them.

Are mediums skilful fraudsters or just mentally ill ?

draft_lens6186782module49237372photo_1249014176derek_acorah_possessions.jpg

I think his best work was "North Country Boy"

:)

'Cold reading' is a learned skill, and a horrible trick to play on people.

There's a Derren Brown video of him doing it: http://fliiby.com/file/382102/pcz626o58n.html

The ones who do it to claim they can solve crimes are a special kind of arsehole.

I'm always in two minds when it comes to con men of any kind - a lot of the time I think you could make a case for charging the victims with stupidity but when they prey on the vulnerable - which includes the bereaved - I think they are fucking scum.

There used to be a show on Tyne Tees in the 80s I think called Friday Night live with a hideous scouse bint presenting it (Gillian Reynolds?) and I remember one where Paul Daniels' son (can't think of his name) outraged an audience of fuckwits by describing cold reading to them and saying that his Dad could be a "psychic" but had the decency to admit it was an illusion.

There used to be a show on Tyne Tees in the 80s I think called Friday Night live with a hideous scouse bint presenting it (Gillian Reynolds?) and I remember one where Paul Daniels' son (can't think of his name) outraged an audience of fuckwits by describing cold reading to them and saying that his Dad could be a "psychic" but had the decency to admit it was an illusion.

I loved that when I was a kid and completely believed in all that shit - everything from watches stopping to ghosts. Mind I was probably about 11 or 12. Don't remember that particular episode.

In NZ we have a TV show (Sensing Murder) where mediums try to solve cold cases. No details of the case are allegedly given in advance and they are expected to work it out solely through talking to the dead. I'm not convinced but the missus is well into it and resents me sneering at it (I call it "Touching Cloth").

Are mediums skilful fraudsters or just mentally ill ? Some people do seem to think mediums are genuine and there have been some famous cases trying to prove/disprove their so-called abilities. Has anyone consulted one?

Be a good source of racing tips if you could find a real one....

Jesus, NZ Tv is utter shit. I remember they did a celebrity survivour when I was there, and I'd have never known anyone if there were no rugby players. It was either that, 1 year old episodes of Eastenders and the first ever series of the Simpsons on a loop.

Anyway, Mediums are very intuitive conmen who use tricks like Derren Brown.

Jesus, NZ Tv is utter shit. I remember they did a celebrity survivour when I was there, and I'd have never known anyone if there were no rugby players. It was either that, 1 year old episodes of Eastenders and the first ever series of the Simpsons on a loop.

This is true. We had our own series of Celebrity Come Dancing a couple of years ago. Amongst various random joes no-one will ever have heard of (old All Black, old netball player etc), it had the mayor of Invercargill. What the fuck?! Not just scraping the barrel but digging underneath it....

On a side note Mick Jagger visited Invercargill in the early 60s. He amusingly described it as 'the arsehole of the world'....