Chris Hughton

Dr Gloom

• Replies 278
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was surprised at how well Hughton handles the press. I think I read he studied as a politician, too.

He reminds me of Barack Obama quite a lot but with more of an edge. I think he's got the authority now to give the lads a bollocking if they don't put a shift in. Was worried about that when the rumours of arguing and backing down with Barton last season were going about. He seemed weak, but he has prevailed.

Is it Hughtons fault we didn't get a striker in? I doubt he had much of a budget so should he have gotten any old shit in just for the sake of it?

Which players do you think get too much game time?

Problem is he has in the past. Look at Best. I'm not sure about Perch either at this time.

He also should've worked harder at moving some players on like ameobi and Smith to try to free up money.

Yeah I am sure getting rid of Smith would have been a piece of piss, we will probably still need Ameobi tbh.

What do you all reckon hughton has to do this season to convince the support that he's the right man for the job? I think survival is the minimum, but there will still be sceptical voices if we only just stay up.

Somewhere around 13th-17th is about par I reckon. Anything from 12th upwards and he might start winning hearts and minds. He obviously has the support of the players. Getting the undivided backing of the fans would be a massive achievment for him.

What do you all reckon hughton has to do this season to convince the support that he's the right man for the job? I think survival is the minimum, but there will still be sceptical voices if we only just stay up.

Somewhere around 13th-17th is about par I reckon. Anything from 12th upwards and he might start winning hearts and minds. He obviously has the support of the players. Getting the undivided backing of the fans would be a massive achievment for him.

get Mike Ashley to back him seriously for quality players.

Edit.

By the way, before ANYBODY starts, this is a serious reply to a serious question, which I would stick by if it happened.

Edited by LeazesMag

so he has to do the impossible to win over the support? :jesuswept:

I take your point, and realise it is asking a lot, but you asked. I'm impressed at the way he has gone about everything to be honest, with integrity and being a good spokesman for the club. He's got a tough job on his hands this season. I suppose what I mean is if he convinced Ashley he had been doing it wrong, then I would 100% think that would come head and shoulders above anything else.

If he does a decent job, then no doubt one of the big clubs would take him away.

Edit.

By the way, before ANYBODY starts, this is a serious reply to a serious question, which I would stick by if it happened.

Its not that serious a reply though when you know that no manager will get Ashley to change what he spends! :jesuswept:

Hughton has done well to get what he has when it includes an ageing Sol Campbell who doesn't fit Ashley's policy of buying young players and actually spending money at all on the likes of Tiote and Perch without having to sell the likes of Enrique, which alot of people thought might happen.

Unfortunately we're stuck with Ashley and he is never going to throw millions around, so its daft to expect Hughton to change that. All he can do (And he's started well enough) is work with whatever he can get out of Ashley. The only other option is he walks out and leaves us in a mess yet again with god knows who taking over when you think Ashley saw fit to employ Joe Kinnear! And this isn't a dig at Keegan, he walked for good reason and was right to do so.

Edited by Papa Lazaru

I take your point, and realise it is asking a lot, but you asked. I'm impressed at the way he has gone about everything to be honest, with integrity and being a good spokesman for the club. He's got a tough job on his hands this season. I suppose what I mean is if he convinced Ashley he had been doing it wrong, then I would 100% think that would come head and shoulders above anything else.

If he does a decent job, then no doubt one of the big clubs would take him away.

Agree with that! If he did change Ashley into a big spender he'd be a miracle worker!

Edit.

Its not that serious a reply though when you know that no manager will get Ashley to change what he spends! :jesuswept:

Hughton has done well to get what he has when it includes an ageing Sol Campbell who doesn't fit Ashley's policy of buying young players and actually spending money at all on the likes of Tiote and Perch without having to sell the likes of Enrique, which alot of people thought might happen.

Unfortunately we're stuck with Ashley and he is never going to throw millions around, so its daft to expect Hughton to change that. All he can do (And he's started well enough) is work with whatever he can get out of Ashley. The only other option is he walks out and leaves us in a mess yet again with god knows who taking over when you think Ashley saw fit o employ Joe Kinnear! And this isn't a dig at Keegan, he walked for good reason and was right to do so.

I take your point too. I expanded on the last post. We [some of us anyway] have already said that if Alan Shearer, for instance, had did what Hughton had did last season, we would be thinking we have the new Brian Clough here.

Agree with that! If he did change Ashley into a big spender he'd be a miracle worker!

not necessarily big. I don't really want the club to dish out millions for the sake of it either and never have, I just want them to keep their best players, convince them that they can fufill ambitions here, and you do that by bringing in proven top players sometimes so they see that you are striving to be successful, as well as a sprinkling of speculative ones to go with it. Show them players at the club that the other top clubs want, and they themselves will stay with you.

Edit.

Unfortunately we're stuck with Ashley and he is never going to throw millions around, so its daft to expect Hughton to change that. All he can do (And he's started well enough) is work with whatever he can get out of Ashley. The only other option is he walks out and leaves us in a mess yet again with god knows who taking over when you think Ashley saw fit o employ Joe Kinnear! And this isn't a dig at Keegan, he walked for good reason and was right to do so.

I take your point too. I expanded on the last post. We [some of us anyway] have already said that if Alan Shearer, for instance, had did what Hughton had did last season, we would be thinking we have the new Brian Clough here.

Yeah, and who knows how well Shearer might have done, he'd certainly have been given a bit of time by the crowd because of who he is, but we'll never know. Through no fault of Hughton's at all, if it had been Shearer and we'd stormed to promotion straight away i think there would have been more of a feel good factor just because it was Shearer, but as we know he'd still have been stuck with Ashley's budget!

Also i think we all know Shearer wouldn't have stayed in the job without the guarentees he wanted from Ashley in terms of who had to be kept, who to sell and who to buy.

not necessarily big. I don't really want the club to dish out millions for the sake of it either and never have, I just want them to keep their best players, convince them that they can fufill ambitions here, and you do that by bringing in proven top players sometimes so they see that you are striving to be successful, as well as a sprinkling of speculative ones to go with it. Show them players at the club that the other top clubs want, and they themselves will stay with you.

Definitely and come the end of this season it may well be time for this or suffer the consequences. If Enrique has the kind of season i think he will, if Carroll continues as he has and if Ben Arfa sets the place alight as i'm sure he will then those players will be in demand and like you say they need to see it's worth staying due to us showing some ambition. That is if Ashley hasn't sold them or in Ben Arfa's case not even bought him!

Edit.

Yeah, and who knows how well Shearer might have done, he'd certainly have been given a bit of time by the crowd because of who he is, but we'll never know. Through no fault of Hughton's at all, if it had been Shearer and we'd stormed to promotion straight away i think there would have been more of a feel good factor just because it was Shearer, but as we know he'd still have been stuck with Ashley's budget!

Also i think we all know Shearer wouldn't have stayed in the job without the guarentees he wanted from Ashley in terms of who had to be kept, who to sell and who to buy.

Like most other people, I'm probably over the moon at how Carroll has came on, the raw Duncan Ferguson like aggression was always there. I was also very perplexed at Allardyce not playing Enrique at first, I thought he would be a good left back and he too now has developed into one of the best left backs I have ever seen play for us. Things like this are a tribute to the staff and manager at the club. I only hope that these 2 players see their long term future at the club but the only people who can do that, especially in Enrique's case, are those in charge at the club. For the moment, first season up, he will be optimistic with plenty of years in front of him.

I'm impressed with him so far. Especially the way he conducts himself.

Last season is a bit tougher to jusdge-yes, we were in a mess, but we had easily the strongest squad in the league. He played 4-5-1 away from home and 4-4-2 at home. Best looks a shite signing, Simpson doesn't look too hot either. I'm delighted with the way Carroll has come along too.

He's won me over, as I was initially judging him on his very brief reign(of terror) when Kinnear was off. Bit unfair to judge him on that, but it was all we had to go by.

so he has to do the impossible to win over the support? :D

And he called me stupid :D He can't let go of the past, really.

Leazes, last time you had a lass (which is presuming you've ever had one), did you hide in the bushes outside of her house at any point after you split up?

so he has to do the impossible to win over the support? :D

And he called me stupid :D He can't let go of the past, really.

Leazes, last time you had a lass (which is presuming you've ever had one), did you hide in the bushes outside of her house at any point after you split up?

another outstanding contribution :D You're showing your knowledge of the club very well.

Anyway, you seem to be in good humour ;) Did you pop your cherry last night or something ?

Already has the backing of the fans iyam. Quite often gets his name sung. I think most appreciate the constraints under which he's working and the dignified manner in which he's gone about things.

Already has the backing of the fans iyam. Quite often gets his name sung. I think most appreciate the constraints under which he's working and the dignified manner in which he's gone about things.

yes, but do they also think a new owner would be better than Ashley ? Get the drift .....................