Old Board vs New Board

The Fish

Take my bet offered in the general chat forum or not? If not then you lose.

is that the one where I asked you to bet me that your boy Mike never gets the club into the top 6 of the premiership, which the Halls and Shepherd did in just over 2 years ?

No not the bet that proves nothing, the one that I offered that would prove that the club has moved forward since being taken over - that we finish this season above where we finished in Fred's last season?

Take my bet or not?

you don't half like the smaller picture don't you ? Are you happy to finish in the bottom half of the league with no prospect of future european football ?

What were our prospects or european football before Freddy left, with Roeder freshly sacked and Fat Sam at the helm? :lol:

Take my bet or not?

eeerrr....we qualified for europe under Roeder :omgwank:

eeeeerrrr... that wasn't the question though :icon_lol:

• Replies 676
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

is that the one where I asked you to bet me that your boy Mike never gets the club into the top 6 of the premiership, which the Halls and Shepherd did in just over 2 years ?

No not the bet that proves nothing, the one that I offered that would prove that the club has moved forward since being taken over - that we finish this season above where we finished in Fred's last season?

Take my bet or not?

you don't half like the smaller picture don't you ? Are you happy to finish in the bottom half of the league with no prospect of future european football ?

What were our prospects or european football before Freddy left, with Roeder freshly sacked and Fat Sam at the helm? :lol:

Take my bet or not?

far higher than now, considering Ashley has sold off 7 of our better players and replaced them with cheaper inferior replacements.

Will your boy qualify for europe or not ? He's got 2 years left of his 5 year plan to do what his predecessors did in less than half that time.

It's not about who qualified for europe fastest after buying the club for fuck sake :icon_lol: What a fuckin' playground argument. There's too many variables, it's a different, tougher league now. Everyone will tell you this on here, but you won't accept it because it doesn't fit your delusion :omgwank:

how is it tougher ? There are the same amount of teams in it. If anything, if it is more money orientated, the clubs with the bigger revenues should be even more powerful than the other way round. Shame the policies of your man Ashley have hit our revenues which were the 14th biggest in football until he stepped through the door.

Take my bet or not?

Take my bet or not?

eeerrr....we qualified for europe under Roeder :omgwank:

eeerr......when you have been there, and understand how to do it, you are more likely to repeat it than if you don't have a clue. Wouldn't you agree ? :D

Take my bet or not?

Take my bet or not?

far higher than now, considering Ashley has sold off 7 of our better players and replaced them with cheaper inferior replacements.

Will your boy qualify for europe or not ? He's got 2 years left of his 5 year plan to do what his predecessors did in less than half that time.

It's not about who qualified for europe fastest after buying the club for fuck sake :icon_lol: What a fuckin' playground argument. There's too many variables, it's a different, tougher league now. Everyone will tell you this on here, but you won't accept it because it doesn't fit your delusion :omgwank:

how is it tougher ? There are the same amount of teams in it. If anything, if it is more money orientated, the clubs with the bigger revenues should be even more powerful than the other way round. Shame the policies of your man Ashley have hit our revenues which were the 14th biggest in football until he stepped through the door.

BINGOOOOOOOOOOOOO! HE'S FUCKING GOT IT LADS :D

The clubs with the bigger revenues SHOULD be the best. We should have been in the top 5 when Freddy left, based on the size of our revenue. We weren't. Therefore we were underachieving, yes?

And remember, like somebody tried to teach you the other day, turnover is vanity, profit is sanity. You can't invest your turnover into the team if there's none of it left after paying your bills.

Are you learning?

Take my bet or not?

Take my bet or not?

eeerrr....we qualified for europe under Roeder :D

eeerr......when you have been there, and understand how to do it, you are more likely to repeat it than if you don't have a clue. Wouldn't you agree ? :D

When you have been there and single handedly fucked it up by undermining the manager who got you there and signing players over his head, you're probably showing that getting there in the first place probably wasn't down to you :omgwank: Agree?

Take my bet or not?

Take my bet or not?

The clubs with the bigger revenues SHOULD be the best. We should have been in the top 5 when Freddy left, based on the size of our revenue. We weren't. Therefore we were underachieving, yes?

And remember, like somebody tried to teach you the other day, turnover is vanity, profit is sanity. You can't invest your turnover into the team if there's none of it left after paying your bills.

Are you learning?

Once the current owner has improved either he might be compared favourably to the previous owners.

Take my bet or not?

Take my bet or not?

Are you learning?

Once the current owner has improved either he might be compared favourably to the previous owners.

£7m profit a month in the Championship wasn't it? :D

Take my bet or not?

Take my bet or not?

Are you learning?

No

Take my bet or not?

Take my bet or not?

Are you learning?

ah. Winning the 2nd division. The limit of your ambition. Congratulations.

Take my bet or not?

Take my bet or not?

Are you learning?

Where were we in 1991/92 then :D

By the way, with the way the team are going about their business this season, do you think we're starting to look more attractive to potential sponsors? And in theory, if we managed a top half finish this season, would you accept that we'd moved forward from where we were the day Shepherd left?

Take my bet or not?

Take my bet or not?

Are you learning?

ah. Winning the 2nd division. The limit of your ambition. Congratulations.

What a pointless wanker :) You're like a school child.

Take my bet or not?

Take my bet or not?

Are you learning?

Where were we in 1991/92 then :D

Where did I say that they've never done anything good ever? Fucking hell. :) I bet you have one mate, because you can't seem to grasps that there's pro's and con's. It's one or the other for you. It's like you're mentally retarded

Edited by AshleysSkidMark

By the way, with the way the team are going about their business this season, do you think we're starting to look more attractive to potential sponsors? And in theory, if we managed a top half finish this season, would you accept that we'd moved forward from where we were the day Shepherd left?

I started a thread on Sunday called "Time to support Mike?"

I got derailed and ended up deleting it like....nevertheless we seem to be turning the ship around slowly and if we all held a zero tolerance view of the bloke it wouldn't do the club any good.

He's shut up

Llambias has shut up

Two good transfer windows in a row.

Installed the longest serving manager in half a decade or something.

Playing well enough to consolidate.

I'll back him as long as it goes on like this.

Not sure why 'the day Shepherd left' is the be all and end all. I've said on here before, that view of Brian Clough at Nottingham Forest would tell you he was a shite manager.

You'll no doubt also concede that Shepherd & Hall took this club a lot further in their time, than Ashley has been able to so far in his.

I started a thread on Sunday called "Time to support Mike?"

I got derailed and ended up deleting it like....nevertheless we seem to be turning the ship around slowly and if we all held a zero tolerance view of the bloke it wouldn't do the club any good.

He's shut up

Llambias has shut up

Two good transfer windows in a row.

Installed the longest serving manager in half a decade or something.

Playing well enough to consolidate.

I'll back him as long as it goes on like this.

Not sure why 'the day Shepherd left' is the be all and end all. I've said on here before, that view of Brian Clough at Nottingham Forest would tell you he was a shite manager.

You'll no doubt also concede that Shepherd & Hall took this club a lot further in their time, than Ashley has been able to so far in his.

I'm grateful for what they did for us, I just thought they needed to leave before they did. I'm not 100% anti-Shepherd, I just can't stand somebody who thinks he was the bee's knees when he clearly fucked up so many opportunities to push for honours. I also concede that he was part of the reason we were up there in the first place, but once we got close, he lacked the knowledge, sense and conviction to keep us there.

I could accept it if he'd made decisions that seemed right at the time to us all and we'd simply been overtaken by better teams, as that can happen. But it wasn't like that. It was a series of barmy decisions that cost us our place at the top end. The Lee Bowyer summer. The Nicky Butt instead of Carrick thing. The undermining of Robson. The appointing of Souness, the 'Roeder has earned the job' bollocks when 90% of us wanted him to appoint a proven manager. All completely barmy and cost us our place at the top.

I could accept it if he'd made decisions that seemed right at the time to us all and we'd simply been overtaken by better teams, as that can happen. But it wasn't like that. It was a series of barmy decisions that cost us our place at the top end. The Lee Bowyer summer. The Nicky Butt instead of Carrick thing. The undermining of Robson. The appointing of Souness, the 'Roeder has earned the job' bollocks when 90% of us wanted him to appoint a proven manager. All completely barmy and cost us our place at the top.

sadly, I have never said he is the bees knees, or that "he" never made mistakes. You however continue to portray untruths or non-factual statements. For instance, the "bowyer summer". What about it ? We were in the Champions League and they ie THE HALLS AND SHEPHERD spent their budget ie 9m quid in advance of that summer on Woodgate in an attempt to secure that very qualification. What about Butt and Carrick ? Was Robson undermined by someone signing Butt instead of Carrick - whatever happened to your constant point of spending money we don't have if that was the case ? You can't have it both ways. Robson could have resigned if that was the case, so why didn't he ? Also - is Roeder more qualified than your mans appointment of both Kinnear and Hughton ? You can't have it both ways again.

At the end of the day, there is a principle here, which is either back your manager or sack him. Newcastle United are not Burnley, Wigan or Blackburn. So live in the market that NUFC ought to live in, or don't bother. Your man has dragged this club down into a lower market, this in turn decreases our revenues and profile. He exists in this market, not the upper end. He will NOT invest the money required to live in the higher echelons "when we are making a profit". Get your head out of the clouds. This is a serious attempt - and a final one - to try and get you in the real world here.

Edited by LeazesMag

sadly, I have never said he is the bees knees, or that "he" never made mistakes. You however continue to portray untruths or non-factual statements. For instance, the "bowyer summer". What about it ? We were in the Champions League and they ie THE HALLS AND SHEPHERD spent their budget ie 9m quid in advance of that summer on Woodgate in an attempt to secure that very qualification. What about Butt and Carrick ? Was Robson undermined by someone signing Butt instead of Carrick - whatever happened to your constant point of spending money we don't have if that was the case ? You can't have it both ways. Robson could have resigned if that was the case, so why didn't he ? Also - is Roeder more qualified than your mans appointment of both Kinnear and Hughton ? You can't have it both ways again.

At the end of the day, there is a principle here, which is either back your manager or sack him. Newcastle United are not Burnley, Wigan or Blackburn. So live in the market that NUFC ought to live in, or don't bother. Your man has dragged this club down into a lower market, this in turn decreases our revenues and profile. He exists in this market, not the upper end. He will NOT invest the money required to live in the higher echelons "when we are making a profit". Get your head out of the clouds. This is a serious attempt - and a final one - to try and get you in the real world here.

So if they spent money on Woodgate, what about the £40m estimated Champions League revenue for that season? Where did that go? Or do you accept that they needed it elsewhere because of the club's poor financial state?

What are you on about with Carrick and Butt? They would have cost the same. Carrick was available for £2m, but Shepherd didn't want to pay it because he thought he could get him cheaper if he held out :lol: Kinnear was never given the full time job, so not relevant. Hughton was given the job in the Championship, appointing an upcoming manager is appropriate in that scenario. Giving somebody with a relatively poor track record a job when you're at the top is asking for trouble.

I'm not arguing that they didn't back their managers, get that out of your thick-as-fuck skull. I'm arguing that they were so stupid that they appointed and backed managers that nobody thought would be successful at the time of appointment.

Ashley has had to clear the decks after being left a lot of shit, that means we've had to take a step backwards. It's a process. When you've got an ethos of overpaid lazy pricks in the team, you can't just turn it around without taking a step backwards. Already, we're starting to see an improvement in attitude and performances from Fred's last season. Would you agree? This, in turn, will attract admiration from the outside world and sponsorship will begin to increase again, bringing revenue back up. You can argue all you want that he won't use it to improve the team, but that'd just be guesswork. He's spent money in the past, there's no reason to suggest that the club won't spend money in the future, providing it has the income to do so.

Edited by AshleysSkidMark

This is where everything starts to get messed up though, the same criticisms can be levelled at Ashley/Llambias.

The Lee Bowyer summer - not sure how any of that could be levelled at the chairman, just as if we had the same now, I wouldnt be blaming Ashley.

Nicky Butt instead of Carrick - again, how does that reflect on the chairman? the manager buys the players. Under the same logic, you could argue Alan Smith instead of a footballer.

Appointing of Souness/undermining of Robson - I'll give you that one as its one of the most bizarre combinations of decisions Ive ever witnessed, yes we needed discipline but not by installing the Premierships shittest manager. Im fairly sure though that LM would concede that one. However I see your Souness and raise you a Joe Kinnear.

Roeder has earned the job bollocks - Again, Id agree a shite decision but it only differs from Hughton with the benefit of hindsight. Almost identical statements were made by both Shepherd and Llambias about "top managers knocking on their doors wanting the job". Difference between Roeder and Houghton though was that Roeder had already managed other clubs, Hughton had only done it with us the previous season and tbf hadnt done well.

As Ive said before, I disliked Shepherd immensely, I thought he'd taken the club as far as he could and it was going dowhill like a car with the handbrake half on. Trouble is that handbrake was then released by Ashley.

I agree there was a need to sort the finances out, my disagreement all along is that I dont see what Ashley has done so far as having anything other than a negative impact on the debt. Yes hes reduced costs, especially players wages but at the same time hes reduced imcome even more so theres no gain. Yes our loans are now interest free but at the same time theyre way higher than they were. For the debt to be repaid and Ashley get his money back then any potential purchaser would now need well in excess of £300m. It will be a long time before this club is worth that kind of money to an investor.

The test of Ashley will come in 24 games time. If we buy Ben Arfa then I'll think hes realised.

This is where everything starts to get messed up though, the same criticisms can be levelled at Ashley/Llambias.

The Lee Bowyer summer - not sure how any of that could be levelled at the chairman, just as if we had the same now, I wouldnt be blaming Ashley.

Nicky Butt instead of Carrick - again, how does that reflect on the chairman? the manager buys the players. Under the same logic, you could argue Alan Smith instead of a footballer.

Appointing of Souness/undermining of Robson - I'll give you that one as its one of the most bizarre combinations of decisions Ive ever witnessed, yes we needed discipline but not by installing the Premierships shittest manager. Im fairly sure though that LM would concede that one. However I see your Souness and raise you a Joe Kinnear.

Roeder has earned the job bollocks - Again, Id agree a shite decision but it only differs from Hughton with the benefit of hindsight. Almost identical statements were made by both Shepherd and Llambias about "top managers knocking on their doors wanting the job". Difference between Roeder and Houghton though was that Roeder had already managed other clubs, Hughton had only done it with us the previous season and tbf hadnt done well.

As Ive said before, I disliked Shepherd immensely, I thought he'd taken the club as far as he could and it was going dowhill like a car with the handbrake half on. Trouble is that handbrake was then released by Ashley.

I agree there was a need to sort the finances out, my disagreement all along is that I dont see what Ashley has done so far as having anything other than a negative impact on the debt. Yes hes reduced costs, especially players wages but at the same time hes reduced imcome even more so theres no gain. Yes our loans are now interest free but at the same time theyre way higher than they were. For the debt to be repaid and Ashley get his money back then any potential purchaser would now need well in excess of £300m. It will be a long time before this club is worth that kind of money to an invester.

Are you serious? Did you read the well publicised version of events by Sir Bobby regarding that?

And re: Roeder and Hughton. We were in different circumstances so they aren't comparable. The bit on the finances I think is bollocks, we're still recovering from the step backwards that we had to take to sort out the mess. Admittedly, relegation was perhaps a step further back than we all wanted, but long term it'll probably benefit us. I think if we'd stayed up, we'd have been poorer this season than we have been so far.

And re: Roeder and Hughton. We were in different circumstances so they aren't comparable. The bit on the finances I think is bollocks, we're still recovering from the step backwards that we had to take to sort out the mess. Admittedly, relegation was perhaps a step further back than we all wanted, but long term it'll probably benefit us. I think if we'd stayed up, we'd have been poorer this season than we have been so far.

rubbish.

We were only a couple of players short of having a team that could have qualified for europe again, which is why Keegan left. I suppose you know better than Keegan then ? :lol:

To me you are too much of an Ashley apologist to see the truth which as usual is somewhere in the middle. FS started off well but ended poorly, MA has started poorly and has the chance to take it where he wants. But you cant blame FS for the whole situation Ashley is in?

Take my bet or not?

This isn't putting my allegiences in one single camp because both of you have massively flawed arguments however this 'bet' is ludicrous. You're talking about 2 seperate seasons that are 4 years apart - it's not just about Newcastle United, there's been a damned sight more change in those 4 years. Man City for instance.

To put it in context you're talking about a time period that's the exacltly the same as between 1991/92 (when we survived going into Division 3 by the skin of our teeth) and 1995/96 (when we missed out on the Premiership title by 4 points).