Players we underestimated.

Park Life

Totally, Nobby and Dyer worked great together. Nobby didnt have the legs but since beardsley has prob been our most intellegent player with the ability to pick out a pass.

• Replies 239
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Think it was Stevie who mentioned Goddard and Acuna earlier. Both great shouts for most underated player.

Also, Aaron Hughes. Criminally underated imo.

Always thought Speed was a fantastic player. Provided much needed defensive cover when Bernard/Robert were flying down the left.

Goddard is a brilliant mention - saved us from the shit in 86/87 and when we sold him in the summer of 88, we ended up nose-diving out of division one the following season.

Mark McGhee was another underrated player in my mind.

Shearer shirley? we had him as a young 'un and let him go to Southampton.

We never had him on our books like. Played in a trial match in goal or so the legend goes but he was never an apprentice here or anything.

I underestimated just how much of a girls blouse Andreas Andersen was.

Ha. Forgot about him. Shocking player with a shocking haircut to match. Up there with Daniel cordone

He looked class in pre season!

You not thinking of Joh Dahl there?

Ha. Forgot about him. Shocking player with a shocking haircut to match. Up there with Daniel cordone

No, cordone. Scored a couple of goals in friendlys iirc

Sorry, I thought you meant Andersson (or however you spell it). Can't remember Cordone pre-season but he score early on in the season iirc. Against Spurs maybe?

I thought it was a tap in.

(away to Blackburn in a cup?)

It was the FA Cup I think (got to the final that year) but I thought it was a good goal from the edge of the box. I wouldn't say he was underrated though as I think he wasn't ready and was only a success later at Fulham because he went back to France and learnt his trade, as it were.

Guest Tuco Ramirez
David Mac - agree

Peter Jackson - totally agree

Ray Ranson - he was fuckin shite

Andy Thorn - as was he fuck knows why we spent 850k on him, to be fair he was ok at Palace

Kevin Brock - one good game in 10, total luxury imo

Kevin Scott - pure shite

Mark McGhee - magic player when he wanted

Paul Bracewell - rated highly I think, probably more than his contribution merited

Guest Tuco Ramirez

Sorry, I thought you meant Andersson (or however you spell it). Can't remember Cordone pre-season but he score early on in the season iirc. Against Spurs maybe?

Aye open goal scuffed in, think he scored in his first two and that was it. His best moment for the toon was his volleyed cross for Goma's header at Boro.

Guest Tuco Ramirez
I thought it was a tap in.

(away to Blackburn in a cup?)

Nar it was a 25 yard volley in to the corner, really good goal. Scored a header iirc v Cov.

David Mac - agree

Andy Thorn - as was he fuck knows why we spent 850k on him, to be fair he was ok at Palace

Kevin Scott - pure shite

Paul Bracewell - rated highly I think, probably more than his contribution merited

I'm concerned how much I agree with Stevie :lol:

Amazed the likes of Ranson, Brock & Scott were mentioned.

Tell you some others I think were underrated:

Darren Jackson

Michael O'Neill

Bjorn Kristensen

Liam O'Brien

In defence of Kevin Brock I remember thinking at the time what a ridiculous percentage of Quinn's goals were made by him. He was a complete wimp but a canny footballer imo.

Did alright for us when he deputised for Tommy Wright at Birmingham.. Was is that prick David Speedie who knocked Brock out after he went in goal?

In defence of Kevin Brock I remember thinking at the time what a ridiculous percentage of Quinn's goals were made by him. He was a complete wimp but a canny footballer imo.

Did alright for us when he deputised for Tommy Wright at Birmingham.. Was is that prick David Speedie who knocked Brock out after he went in goal?

Aye - that was certainly his bravest display for us and I wished he'd been as tough in midfield.

David Mac - agree

Kevin Scott - pure shite

I'm concerned how much I agree with Stevie :lol:

Amazed the likes of Ranson, Brock & Scott were mentioned.

Tell you some others I think were underrated:

Darren Jackson

Michael O'Neill

Bjorn Kristensen

Liam O'Brien

Thought Ranson was a really good player for us. Agree Scott was a clown and Brock was far too lightweight (had some really good games though).

I think personally I underrated Speed the most and it wasn't til he left that I appreciated his contribution. His attempts at crossfield balls always used to get on me tits. Milner is another that used to wind me up but tbf I still don't think that he was good for us and I'm still not convinced he's much good on the wings. He has proved to be a good player in the middle but the money citeh have paid is scandalous. The money we got for him was still good.

Kevin Scott was bobbins man. I cried laughing the day Spurs actually paid us real money for him.

Ardilles obviously rated him as he had him as a player up here. You'd think he'd have known better. Not sure if you'd say he was underrated/underestimated as such but David McCreery was such a steady player for us.

Guest Tuco Ramirez

Took about 200 free kicks for the toon. One went in. When we 0-4 down at home to Wolves.

Guest Tuco Ramirez
Kevin Scott was bobbins man. I cried laughing the day Spurs actually paid us real money for him.

For years he was linked with a move to Man City for £1m, always baffled me too. Benny was a much better player.

Ardilles obviously rated him as he had him as a player up here. You'd think he'd have known better. Not sure if you'd say he was underrated/underestimated as such but David McCreery was such a steady player for us.

Didn't Spurs pay best part of a million for him when he was pushing 30? :lol:

Aye granted Scott wanst great but I thought he did a job for us. Always rated Ranson. Brock on his day and when he wanted was a canny player. Scored a few cracking free-kicks. One at home to Chalton when they beat us 3-1 midweek was a good un.

Kevin Sheedy

Scott Sellars