Would Ben Arfa start in our team at the minute?

Anorthernsoul

Jonas was gash yesterday but that understanding he has with Enrique is very valuable. His defensive work rate is very good too.

I think while there are obvious flaws in Jonas' delivery, a lot of people underestimate his contribution to the team with the things you mention above and his ability to beat a man (or two).

On the topic of Ben Arfa I will be interested to see whether Barton can Keep his form going on the right and whether Nolan and Shola can keep it up through the middle. I think it's more likely the form of one of those three will allow him back in than Jonas.

He does win a ton of free kicks and penalties in dangerous positions for us. Saw him laughing with the refs at the start of the match yesterday, clearly setting out to get them on his side from the get-go! :icon_lol: . His defensive contributions are amazing for a winger, and if its a choice between him and ben arfa id take ben arfa, but I would still value him immensely as a squad member. I would prefer to just drop shola for ben arfa who can play centrally behind Carroll anyway if everyone is fit.

I think Ben Arfa would be wasted wide-left anyway. Agree with DK re: Shola in particular. I'm still not convinced Nolan's world player of the year material either.

/jonas was massively important to our win yesterday. As was Barton. Never were our full-backs isolated, and Jonas took the pressure off us several times with somegood runs, taking 3 Arsenal players at one stage.

He does give balance to the side and I think he's looked better than he did in his first season in the PL. I think you have to accept the negative aspects of his play and look at what he does bring to the team. Pace, dribbling ability and work rate plus his understanding with Enrique.

/jonas was massively important to our win yesterday. As was Barton. Never were our full-backs isolated, and Jonas took the pressure off us several times with somegood runs, taking 3 Arsenal players at one stage.

I get where you are coming from but its rose tinted spectacle stuff for me. Jonas's runs virtually all resulted in conceding posession. Taking the pressure off should be popping crosses on Carrols head.

he could come in for shola and play just off carroll or on either of the flanks, or central midfield even. i'm pretty sure he'd improve most of those positions.

though you don't change a winning team so he wouldn't expect to walk straight back into it.

I get where you are coming from but its rose tinted spectacle stuff for me. Jonas's runs virtually all resulted in conceding posession. Taking the pressure off should be popping crosses on Carrols head.

he's a good out ball thoug isn't he when we're backs against the wall - give him the ball and he'll run half the length of the pitch then win a free kick.

He does give balance to the side and I think he's looked better than he did in his first season in the PL. I think you have to accept the negative aspects of his play and look at what he does bring to the team. Pace, dribbling ability and work rate plus his understanding with Enrique.

Do you think thats still there though. I think attack wise Enrique seems capable of much more but constantly ends up in those little passes with Jonas in the corner flag. Think he needs to be doing more runs on goal himself and whipping in the crosses that he can deliver perfectly. Think sometimes he tends to hoy the brakes on a pass to Jonas instead.

he's a good out ball thoug isn't he when we're backs against the wall - give him the ball and he'll run half the length of the pitch then win a free kick.

Or fall over and concede possesion. Maybe Im being too hard on him just yet :icon_lol: never was his biggest fan

Do you think thats still there though. I think attack wise Enrique seems capable of much more but constantly ends up in those little passes with Jonas in the corner flag. Think he needs to be doing more runs on goal himself and whipping in the crosses that he can deliver perfectly. Think sometimes he tends to hoy the brakes on a pass to Jonas instead.

Yeah I definitely think it's still there mate. I wouldn't read too much into yesterday. They've been playing well together for over a season now imo. I appreciate he's frustrating at times. Look at the way they combined against the mackems though. They took the piss out of them at times with their little one-twos etc. Another thing I like about him is he still offers something even when he's having a poor game going forward.

Edited by alex

Or fall over and concede possesion. Maybe Im being too hard on him just yet :icon_lol: never was his biggest fan

I think you've got your head slightly up your hole here. It's asking quite a bit for Jonas to run half the pitch at the Emirates and stick the ball on Carrolls head.

Did you see Enrique whipping in that cross first half to an empty 18yard box?

They both link up well, and it was our 'Plan A' for most of last season.

I think you've got your head slightly up your hole here. It's asking quite a bit for Jonas to run half the pitch at the Emirates and stick the ball on Carrolls head.

Did you see Enrique whipping in that cross first half to an empty 18yard box?

They both link up well, and it was our 'Plan A' for most of last season.

We'll just have to disagree then because the whole point is surely to have a succesful pass at the end of short sprint?????????

Time after time he just fell over, conceded posession and the pressure was straight back on us.

Just compare him for a moment with Barton and Simpsons play on the right. Total chalk and cheese.

Yeah I definitely think it's still there mate. I wouldn't read too much into yesterday. They've been playing well together for over a season now imo. I appreciate he's frustrating at times. Look at the way they combined against the mackems though. They took the piss out of them at times with their little one-twos etc. Another thing I like about him is he still offers something even when he's having a poor game going forward.

Fair enough Begrudginly :icon_lol:

Gives the team balance - very important to our recent run.

Barton passes his way out of pressure. Jonas runs the ball out of our half. I'll take him getting the ball beyone the half way line, then winning a throw-in/free kick.

Obviously I'd rather he ran the full length of the pitch and scored/fired-in perfect crosses.

would he balls... Jonas OUT

I would start him where Jonas plays. Jonas can come on for the last 13/20 to do his def mopping up which he's so good at. The other bonus with Bafra is he ghosts into the middle and would get into areas that nolan takes too long to see or arrive at.

would he balls... Jonas OUT

I would start him where Jonas plays. Jonas can come on for the last 13/20 to do his def mopping up which he's so good at. The other bonus with Bafra is he ghosts into the middle and would get into areas that nolan takes too long to see or arrive at.

Ya, can be annoying too tho when Enrique is looking for him...

In fairness, looking back on it, Gutierrez does amount of work.. He's our own Stephen Hunt..