Football stadiums

footballff

In that Alex Belios book 'Futebol' about Brazilian football (funnily enough) has a section about 2 or 3 4th tier (or thereabouts) Brazilian players who moved to the Faroe Islands. I think one of them married a lass and stayed on but it must have been some fucking culture shock when the rolled up there.

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In that Alex Belios book 'Futebol' about Brazilian football (funnily enough) has a section about 2 or 3 4th tier (or thereabouts) Brazilian players who moved to the Faroe Islands. I think one of them married a lass and stayed on but it must have been some fucking culture shock when the rolled up there.

Better than kipping in a phone box though.

I couldn't remember how mad it was when Isidro Diaz and Roberto Martinez came from Spain to play for Wigan in Division Four. It's almost the norm now.

Better than kipping in a phone box though.

I couldn't remember how mad it was when Isidro Diaz and Roberto Martinez came from Spain to play for Wigan in Division Four. It's almost the norm now.

They weren't destitute though. Poor, aye. But they ended up as semi pros working in a fish canning factory in the Faroe Islands (or something like that) so they were hardly living the dream. Think I'd rather have stayed in Brazil tbh.

estadio%20chivas.jpg

I like this one, probably the best supported club in the whole American continents these Chivas. It was built to resemble a nearby volcano, and I think they've done a canny job. Capacity goes up to 75,000 for some games.

standard.jpg

For younguns who can't quite remember the Gallowgate. I reckon this photo was from 1981 or 1982. There was no fences up and the old scoreboard was up which was changed in 1988. Later on about 85 as well The Corner had an iron walkway put in the middle. Brings a tear to t'eye.

IMG_2236.JPG

One of the better looking 20k seaters around, and it's a genuinely hostile venue too thanks to the supporter base (and reputation) of one half of the stadium's co-tenant clubs. Stadium's architecture incorporates that of the city landscape.

Where's that like? Some rogue state?

More of a hill than a stadium (the Solomon Islands one).

Must be the only ground where you have a chance of getting bitten by a scorpion. Actual death trap that if they scored.

I went to see Sparta Prague a few years back and it was much nicer a ground than I thought it would be. It basically had one end that was batshit mental, full of ultras, flags, flares, and noisey as fuck. The away fans were to the right of where we sat (we were right behind the goal, literally) and we were only separated from them by a metal fence, which home and away fans quite happily exchanged punches through while the plod and stewards dozed off. Great experience like, I took a photo of the sign they had outside the ground which basically had 'no knifes, no guns, no bombs' on it.

Letna.jpg

35629838.jpg

I've been to loads of stadiums at home and abroad many which are more highly rated than this, but it's my favourite stadium. Everything a ground should be. Stands are so steep, atmosphere immense, facilities amazing.

35629838.jpg

I've been to loads of stadiums at home and abroad many which are more highly rated than this, but it's my favourite stadium. Everything a ground should be. Stands are so steep, atmosphere immense, facilities amazing.

That's a great stadium but the away end is fucking shite.

35629838.jpg

I was there for England v Portugal.

35629838.jpg

I was there for England v Portugal.

PSV v Newcastle 03/04 UEFA Cup QF.

I know someone who went there when we played them in CL (under Dalglish). Apparently it was Baltic but the stadium has heaters which blow out hot air (and they actually worked).

I was there for our game with them and the heaters were spot on, shame they turned the fuckers off dot on full time and kept us back for ages.

The away end at PSV is the most steepest stadium i've been in, with us all stood up, people with flying everywhere when Jenas (i think) equalised.

Still a cracking European adventure

There was a coffee shop 200 yards from the ground, was mint seeing as many peaceful England fans. The dutch police were absolutely fantastic, as opposed to the Belgians who were bigger cunts than wor police even. Terrible people.

I think that's the first stadium I'd ever drunk beer in my seat as well. Surely in the all seater era they should allow that in this country.

IMG_2236.JPG

One of the better looking 20k seaters around, and it's a genuinely hostile venue too thanks to the supporter base (and reputation) of one half of the stadium's co-tenant clubs. Stadium's architecture incorporates that of the city landscape.

Teddy Kolek Stadium, Jerusalem.

More of a hill than a stadium (the Solomon Islands one).

That's pretty much what it is. A football ground carved into the side of a hill, and i think they cram 10k+ in for the national team's fictures. With the scenery, surrounding greenery, when it's overflowing at capacity it looks great on the television.

IMG_2236.JPG

You should've just said "aye" then.

<!--url{0}-->

You should've just said "aye" then.

......... and potentially hijack the thread with cut & pasted articles, on the new wave of anti-semitism, in response to all this patter.

Is it the only venue where a goal hero (from a previous EC qualifier: Arab-Israeli scored against the Dutch iirc and kept them alive in the comp, before receiving a disgraceful homecoming) has had widespread 'death chants' directed against them from the terraces, at an international friendly.