Football stadiums

footballff

Steep stands/Good atmosphere is about the only thing going for the Mestalla. It's falling apart, just a concrete bowl, and fuck all near it except a club shop the size of the eldon square toon one.

Still better than Levante's shit hole though ;)

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

I'm not the biggest fan of the game itself [it more of a TV sport with it's replay based analysis, than a live viewing one] but i do admire the college football venues. There's a strong emphasis of tradition & history about them, and most have a distinguishing feature/or stand - just like in our code.

Kyle Field: open ended stadium, with a monster stand behind one endzone.

1_df-kylefield-1b_copy.jpg

gigem.jpg

Guest You FCB Get Out Of Our Club
The iconic 'Chocolate Box'.

la_bombonera_recinto.jpg

944a468d63164c4e83a017728375-grande.jpg

Me and a mate were saying on Satday we want to go next year for the game against River Plate, wonder if you can fly direct from Heathrow. It's the only continent he's never been to, would be my third.

The iconic 'Chocolate Box'.

la_bombonera_recinto.jpg

944a468d63164c4e83a017728375-grande.jpg

Me and a mate were saying on Satday we want to go next year for the game against River Plate, wonder if you can fly direct from Heathrow. It's the only continent he's never been to, would be my third.

I'm 99.9% sure you can fly direct. You'd think seats would be hard to come by, for that fixture. Might be different if you book now i guess - tour package perhaps.

It's actually an racial slur toward Boca fans by calling it the chocolate box.

I'd imagine you can rock up and buy tickets from touts outside the stadium for the game v River although they'll be a lot more than face value (obviously) aside from that the Tangol agency will offer tickets for a massively overexpensive rate for the games.

Only seats are on the side. When I went last year I was stood in the middle tier behind the goal (£5) at the far end of the picture above. All sorts of stuff being thrown lobbed from above away fans.

The stand with its back to the camera is where the hardcore (La 12) go.

Class ground atmosphere though. Went to watch River n all which was also brilliant.

If you do go and you were lucky with the fixture list you'd probably be able to take in 3 or 4 games with the staggered kick off times of the Argentine League (all games are on TV) and that loads of clubs are within a short taxi ride away from each other in BsAs.

gigem.jpg

Where am I this matchday?

Newcastle upon Tyne;

Have a few pints before the game and a bit of craic before leaving to get into the ground, have a few afterwards in a packed city centre bar

Italia;

Go to the game 3 hours early with megaphone and help put banners up, riot with police afterwards in a stand off or in the event of a historic victory for your club jump into a small Fiat with your friends and circumnavigate any roundabout or public monument for about an hour tooting your horn whilst your mates wave flags out of a wound down window.

USA;

Drive in a huge vehicle to the game 3 hours early, get the beers and food out and have a BBQ in the park, go to the game and spend all the time going down for some more lite beers and food, (lets be honest, you're missing fuck all on the pitch), spend half time/quarter time watching some entertainer singing on the pitch as USAF jet fighters fly over the stadium.

London/Birmingham;

Have a quick pint before the game if you've got time, watch game, rush home with five minutes before time to be able to phone Alan Green or Stan Collymore, (whichever one you can get on), to tell him your thoughts on the game as he interrupts you and doesn't listen whilst shaking his head and mouthing 'next' to his producer.

• 3 months later...

Mancmag and I both discovered we were stadium fetishists about a year ago, and it's always nice to see a new stadium you don't know. I can not for the life of me understand why this country don't play their home games at this ground. 10 out of 10 if you know where it is....I just came across it this morning for the first time.

1036bli.jpg

Edited by McFaul

When I was in Brazil a canny few years back I wanted to see a game, so I went to watch Botafogo Jnrs play at the Maracana. My imagination of the stadium was pretty let down by the reality. Its a huge concerete stadium and I imagine when full could be fantastic. But what I found was at that game there was maybe 30K inside which made the place look empty. Also there was a running track (or track of some kind) pushing you further away from the pitch. The atmosphere was pretty poor tbh. But, I'd still liked to have seen it for a bigger game like and reckon the place could be rocking.

I'm off to Milan this weekend to watch AC v Inter so I'll see if I can grab some pics.

Mancmag and I both discovered we were stadium fetishists about a year ago, and it's always nice to see a new stadium you don't know. I can not for the life of me understand why this country don't play their home games at this ground. 10 out of 10 if you know where it is....I just came across it this morning for the first time.

1036bli.jpg

Is it somewhere in Spain?

1036bli.jpg

Is it somewhere in Spain?

No, it's not in Spain. Think of Sash.

Sash :lol:

Would it be certain South American country beginning with Eeee?

:icon_lol:

What a stadium though 93,000 less than 25 year old and here's me thinking they're third world.

Edited by McFaul

2cqy4xc.jpg

Which English ground is this?

Was it the old Valley?

Aye biggest terrace in English football history that. Held 39,000 that one end. It helped a bit on that pic that it says WELCOME TO CHARLTON ATHLETIC at the top like :lol: That is 1984, and I'm 80% sure that number 7 is a young Rob Lee.

2cqy4xc.jpg

Which English ground is this?

Was it the old Valley?

Aye biggest terrace in English football history that. Held 39,000 that one end. It helped a bit on that pic that it says WELCOME TO CHARLTON ATHLETIC at the top like :lol: That is 1984, and I'm 80% sure that number 7 is a young Rob Lee.

Never seen the sign. Ho'way Stevie, I don't cheat on things like that, I enjoy the kudos too much. :icon_lol:

Ewood Park circa 1979.

The old Darwen end was amongst the favourites of many a Newcastle fan in days gone, it was always a well attended game. (by us, anyway :lol: )

Two things always stand out for me about the old end, Liam O'Brien scoring a belting last minute winner and the Mags chanting the tune to 'Toms Diner' for ages afterwards on the way out of the ground, and the stick David Speedie took where 'We've all shagged your wife, Speedie, Speedie' rang out a good few times and Speedie baiting us as he scored his hat-trick as bottles, pies and coins bounced off the grass in front of the dirty, hacking, cheating little bastard. (I was a big fan). ;)