Relegation ?

LeazesMag

Irrespective of that Leazes, Fish makes a fair point.

Fish does make a fair and good point, the third this year, but so does Leazes.

the entire structure and setup of the club is that of a team happy to survive in the premiership, or be nothing other than a yo-yo club and hang onto as much of the inherited fanbase as possible

...sense...

I agree with Leazes. Fish probably does too.

;)

I'm definitely not planning next years trips around Europe (or even the Premiership tbh) but I look at our team and think that we'll do as well in the second half of the season as we've done in the first, which will leave us just south of midtable.

Now, if we were to survive this year I wouldn't be satisfied with simply surviving the following season, I'd want us to press on and break into the top half of the table. As Leazes says, we shouldn't be satisfied with being in the Premiership and I think that ambition is misunderstood by the press as risible expectation. We don't think we've a divine right to be challenging for the title, but as fans we believe it is not without the reach of our club to achieve it. We're not a Wigan who're (for their size and location) punching above their weight, year after year. We're a club with vast potential and with the right management (from boardroom to basement) we could very well establish a workable model to effectively challenge the status quo. It won't come over night and I doubt it'll happen at all. But it could.

When Sir Bobby Robson inherited a broken dressing room with egos and crocks and zero confidence, he not only had us genuinely challenging for the title (Fergie stated if Bellamy had stayed fit we, rather than Arsenal, would have won the league), he was playing good football, he was happily bringing through young players, sending scouts out here there and everywhere and he turned this club around in less than 5 years.

Now, unfortunately, men like Robson are more rare than rocking horse shit, but the point is that it's possible. It is possible to return to brighter days. Not with Alan Pardew, and not under this owner.

Bit of a ramble, sorry.

I can't remember that like but good knowledge if true, we'd certainly have made the UEFA Cup Final the year after though if him and Woody were fit, not to mention CL qualification again.

Don't apologise today is a day for hungover ramblings, mine is getting nee better by the way.

He said it at the end of year "get-together", or something Stevie. It may have been at the Civic Centre, maybe a tribute to Bobby Robson. I actually recorded this and still have it somewhere, think he meant it too, it wasn't one of those tribute speeches where people are scratching each others arses. At the time Bellamy was hurt, we had just beaten the mackems and had crept into 2nd place almost unnoticed in a way and on a good run.

Edit. In fact, another milestone comment was made by Terry Venables IMO. He was on match of the day, the night we beat Villa 3-0 at home, which was an absolutely outstanding peformance by Shearer and Bellamy. I knew when we signed Bellamy we had bought a great player, and I knew when I also saw Robert that Sir Bob had struck gold and transformed the team with these 2 players. The display against Villa was final proof of how much improved we were and how good we had became. Shearer and Bellamy on that day confirmed themselves as the best partnership in the premiership, Shearer outmuscled Southgate and Ehiogu [i think] who were one of the best central defensive partnership, he was so powerful, which we knew, and Bellamy was so hungry, so fast and so determined. Venables was asked who would finish the highest and he said straight away "Newcastle". I think he was asked if they were title contenders and he said it was possible, this was in November and we were improving on a steady start.

That is one of my favourite games of the Bobby Robson era, and a moment where what I had been thinking, and saying, became obvious to everybody. People knew that Craig Bellamy was a top player after that match and we had a top side again.

Actually, talking about Robert, he should have done so much more, he is a classic example of how some players need the kid glove treatment from managers. Its OK saying they are professionals, we know motivation comes from within, but sometimes the wrong sort of manager sends them the wrong way completely. Towards the end he obviously had to go, sometimes you thought his work rate was a hindrance and sometimes you wondered if he did enough on his good days to compensate, but he was ideal for that time and was exactly what we needed. NUFC is jinxed, we always get the right managers at the wrong time or the wrong age.

Edited by LeazesMag

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Aye, I'm pretty sure it was the "A Black and White Knight" thing at the Civic.

That Villa game is among my favourites. Some crackling performances, some great quotes, banter with Schmeichel when he kept kicking the ball a foot or so further on for a free kick while the ref wasn't watching. Had the Gallowgate and East Stand apoplectic until he turned with a cheeky smile and put his fingers to his lips (not in a wind up kind of way, more like a kid caught with his hand in the biscuit tin), had us pissing ourselves. Changed my opinion of him there and then.

Shearer's goal was a different side to his game. All about technique and subtlety rather than the power we normally associate with him. That he rates it as one of his favourite goals makes it all the better as well.

Bellamy had an amazing duel with Shmeichel that day, countless times he was clean through or turned inside the box, only to be denied. So when he got his nutmeg it was just perfect. (Especially as the commentary went with "ohhhh he's only gone and nutmegged Schmeichel, cheeky chappy")

Think it was that night me and a mate ended up at a student flat as well ;)

"We're a club with vast potential and with the right management (from boardroom to basement) we could very well establish a workable model to effectively challenge the status quo."

my 50 years of support encapsulated in one dreadful sentence..................

"We're a club with vast potential and with the right management (from boardroom to basement) we could very well establish a workable model to effectively challenge the status quo."

my 50 years of support encapsulated in one dreadful sentence..................

Thing is, it seems so easy, doesn't it?

Say someone with the wealth of Ashley were to buy him out tomorrow. £200m or whatever.

First things first, state that we are not a selling club. Try and lock up Carroll and Enrique and the likes onto lengthy contracts. Take Ferguson's approach and only sell when the player is past his prime or his disruption no longer balances his contribution.

Employ a capable public relations officer. However when a direct quote or explanation is necessary provide it with honesty and clarity.

Provide the funds to strengthen weak areas once Pardew and Carr have agreed on the ability and character of the player.

Invest in the youth and scout systems.

Shut up.

Never allow Newcastle to be relegated. The £20m out lay at Xmas is repaid the second survival is guaranteed. and if we need to spend £2m on a loan signing fee that'll keep us up? Fucking spend it.

Always remember, this isn't your club, you're just the steward.

I sort of hope we are struggling a bit just in case Ashley actually is thinking about selling Carroll and/or Enrique in January. It's sad that the obese cunt makes you think that way though.

This is one of my worries though.

I see Ashley and Lambsarse as thinking the totally opposite of any other sane owner/chairman. A sensible owner would hang onto his best players if the teams looking like potential drop candidates to give him the best chance of survival. I worry that Ashley will see resale values as the factor.

Stay in Premiership and we can afford to hold onto the likes of Carroll, Enrique etc or if we decide to sell then we can command a premium figure. Drop however and the players want to go and other clubs know you cant afford to hang on therefore drive harder bargains.

Carroll for £20m in January or £10m in June when were a Championship club oooooh its a gamble.....

One of the few gambles I worry that Ashley isnt willing to take.

With the number of clubs interested in Carroll, that's an unlikely scenario too.

Gareth Southgate asked for peoples top player at each club. Unsurprisingly Carroll came out on top but he mentioned big shouts for Barton and Tiote.

Blackpool vote totally split - about 7 players (true team?) Wigan/ Fulham/Stoke not enough votes. W Ham - Parker Wolves - Jarvis

B'ham- Foster, Villa- Albrighton WBA - Brunt, Liverpool - Lucas (by a landslide) Newcastle- Carroll (but big votes for Barton + Tiote)

Bburn- Robinson, Everton - Baines(just pipped Cahill) Sunderland- Bramble , Bolton- Holden, Spurs - Modric (Bale+vd V also many votes)

Chelsea - Cech, Arsenal - Nasri, Man Utd - Nani/Vidic split , Man City- Silva/Kompany split.

Surprised at those in bold.

(Sky 2 doing their top 50 Prem goals, Bergkamp's third against Leicester at Number 38... )

Only really suprised by Lucas out of that list, and that's probably a piss take!

Silva/Kompany ahead of Tevez?

Modric ahead of VdV?

well I was surprised.

Also, Bramble is shit.

Guest You FCB Get Out Of Our Club
Only really suprised by Lucas out of that list, and that's probably a piss take!

Modric ahead of VdV?

well I was surprised.

Also, Bramble is shit.

The mackems do actually say he's been their POTS so far like. I've consistently said Bramble is a good footballer, he just plays like he's been on the cowies sometimes, he's either a 9/10 or 2/10 man. Best long passer of a ball I've seen at CB.

Modric ahead of VdV?

well I was surprised.

Also, Bramble is shit.

The mackems do actually say he's been their POTS so far like. I've consistently said Bramble is a good footballer, he just plays like he's been on the cowies sometimes, he's either a 9/10 or 2/10 man. Best long passer of a ball I've seen at CB.

Aye, my mackem mates said the same (one actually said he'd be the signing of the season...) I just put it down to far too many chemicals in the drinking water. I would have thought their PotS would be Henderson or (maybe) Bent.

The Red and White Kop forum has a 15-page thread on this topic, too!

;)

After 2008-2009, to say that we're a certainty to be safe is foolish. But I do think we have a better squad now in terms of team spirit. However, games like those against Spurs and the Baggies will drain that team spirit ... as may Pardew.

...and it's easy to see why we shouldn't be complacent. For what it's worth I've thoroughly enjoyed this season. In a perverse way I've enjoyed it more than any season since 2003, I genuinely mean that. You go the match not knowing what the fuck is going to happen, it felt like we've had a chance against everyone and the atmosphere has generally been quite good in a lot of games, certainly better in the Prem than any time since SBR imo, but I will not rest till that fattest of cunts has gone from my club. He is a stain on our city, an embarrassment to the history and fabric of Newcastle United. He is common as fuck, and an arsehole.

This ironically was a quality [or character trait] which many a supporter were drawn towards, during the early phase of his reign. A 'breath of fresh air' was the common catchphrase.