Liverpool Protest

JawD

If only we had a supporters trust who could've assisted.

In all honesty I'm increasingly of the opinion it wouldn't have made a difference.

If the protests failed then I don't believe it had anything to do with whoever did or didn't lend their names to them/helped organise them and everything to do with the fact that:

crowd dispersed and went into the game. Got inside, again a few songs but mostly nowt. Half time people swigging pints and stuffing their faces.

Was like fucking nothing has happened.

Apathy wins the day.

That's your problem right there. Not enough people care enough to do anything about it. They didn't last time. They apparently didn't this time either.

I guarantee you that if the NUST website organised protests, spoke out about it in the press, put out leaflets before the match calling for Ashley's head, appeared on TV/radio, held a rally at the monument, wrote satirical Xmas poems, kicked their way into the supporters panel and personally listened to Derek Llambias lie his arse off for over two hours then reported the results....

....we'd still have less than 1000 people bothering themselves to attend any officially organised protest...the rest would happily sup Ashley's overpriced pints and buy his deckchair footy tops while having the odd twist about how he's a bit of a ****.

F***ing depressing it is; but its a sad reality.

It's not just our lot though...it's society in general...ask any of the Liverpool lads about the protests that their supporters trust tried to organise last year...the ones where thousands were purporting to turn up...and in the end less than 200 did.

Frankly I'd rather NUST got on with finding real solutions to buy the club (that is after all what they are supposed to be doing) rather than dedicate time once again to arranging protests that I now believe would be arranged anyway and attract the same number of people regardless.

Consider me cynicised by experience but I'm increasingly of the opinion that Ashley would have to personally assault some people's grandmothers before they'd finally admit that neither he nor Llambias have any redeeming characteristics whatsoever.

Edited by MichaelNUFC

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So you think that despite everything, we should do nothing?

I agree that 9/10 the so called "rent-a-mongs" stand there for Sky with their boouyocoutt banners. But this is those that have tickets that would go into the game later. This is also arranged by a lad who when I hear him on the radio, sounded reasonable.

Do I think it will achieve anything? Unlikely.

But I'm sick of sitting there and taking it, doing fuck all just like Ashley expects.

Is the plan to ring the ground with the protestors or all gather at the main entrance?

Gathering at the Box Office

Doing that will simply get the "rent a mong" crowd and give an image for Sky what it wont do is encourage others to join, theres no way that the area there is big enough to hold anything like the 500 you expect and impossible for the 10% we'd like to see. On top of that it will merely cause a blockage to fans who want to go into the game and end up causing arguments/ frustration and bad feeling between fans. It also has the prospect of being viewed as an angry mob by the police and broken up turning therefore into a public order issue.

if they were to have a single file cordon around the ground it would alleviate those problems and have a better chance of being successful. three quarters of the ground dont even go past the box office and would therefore miss it and not join in. If you can organise enough through the internet to ring the place then nobody can get past without being aware of it and more guaranteed will join in.

The biggest circle pit i ever saw was at a Less than Jake (or was it NOFX?) show at the Leeds festival. All the way round the mixing desk it went.

This could beat that.

2002? I was there for that.

So you think that despite everything, we should do nothing?

I agree that 9/10 the so called "rent-a-mongs" stand there for Sky with their boouyocoutt banners. But this is those that have tickets that would go into the game later. This is also arranged by a lad who when I hear him on the radio, sounded reasonable.

Do I think it will achieve anything? Unlikely.

But I'm sick of sitting there and taking it, doing fuck all just like Ashley expects.

Is the plan to ring the ground with the protestors or all gather at the main entrance?

Gathering at the Box Office

Doing that will simply get the "rent a mong" crowd and give an image for Sky what it wont do is encourage others to join, theres no way that the area there is big enough to hold anything like the 500 you expect and impossible for the 10% we'd like to see. On top of that it will merely cause a blockage to fans who want to go into the game and end up causing arguments/ frustration and bad feeling between fans. It also has the prospect of being viewed as an angry mob by the police and broken up turning therefore into a public order issue.

if they were to have a single file cordon around the ground it would alleviate those problems and have a better chance of being successful. three quarters of the ground dont even go past the box office and would therefore miss it and not join in. If you can organise enough through the internet to ring the place then nobody can get past without being aware of it and more guaranteed will join in.

The biggest circle pit i ever saw was at a Less than Jake (or was it NOFX?) show at the Leeds festival. All the way round the mixing desk it went.

This could beat that.

2002? I was there for that.

Thats the only time since i've had a ST where i didn't want to celebrate a win.

FCB got out so lightly, and i know everyone is pro-Newcastle, but fuckin hell, we played right into the FCB's hands and he must of been laughing his tits off - i know i would of been, but fair play to the protest although for it to be a success it seriously needs more direction/organisation.

Hopefully it can.

I'm not so sure many people will vote with their feet seeing the reaction tonight (2nd biggest home attendance of the season may i add also).

Edited by 1892

You are absolutely right re NUST. One of the reasons that the organisation was formed (as NUSC) after Keegan was so that the fans would have a voice and an organisation to help channel, direct or advice on any actions. Little over 2 years on, and a similar situation arises, and what has NUST done this week? Put out a bland statement which says little more than Mike Ashley shouldn't have done that - tut tut. By the way, come to our comedy night on Thursday.

And then today felt like a re-run of Hull before the game. A lot of anger and banners and sporadic little groups doing their own thing.

The trust should have been there for people this week, that it hasn't been is disgusting and to me it's as if the current committee couldn't give a shit about the trust's own members.

The trust itself is a great idea, and I think those of us who are members have to start putting on the pressure, because the way things are going NUST will disappear which would be a crying shame. If it's run properly and engages with the members and the community, it CAN be a fantastic organisation.

Edited by Tom_NUFC

Guest You FCB Get Out Of Our Club
I'll try to summarise what went on today. I in no way condone some of what went on, especially by the fucking stewards outside the Milburn Enterance.

I arrived at about 4.15 to have a look at what was going on. It seemed initially that one guy was running the show, short, bald, toon top on, scarf with about 200 people behind him, mostly about 16 years old.

The usual chants were going on; YFCBGOOOC, Ashley is a wanker, sit doon if you love the toon etc.

I stood well back with the other 'oldies' and took it in for a while. Then 2 stewards came over and told a husband/wife that they must take their banner away as it was 'offensive' to the owner of the property. It said 'Get this slug out of OUR club'.

I had to interject. I said 'Are you not fucking offended by what you're boss has done to your city?' 'Are you even a toon fan?' so on and so on. He said 'I agree with the reasoning but not the methods and I'll have you nicked if you carry on'. People watched, people heard and people went mental. The flags were then getting thrown around to keep out of reach of the stewards. A chant was directed at the fat little cunt by a now 600+ protesters of 'Faaat Harry Potter, you're just a fat Harry Potter' and 'Get a proper job, get a proper job'.

They turned the atmosphere a trifle aggressive through their iron fisted stewarding. I hung around and watched as the growing crowd raised their voices.

Then I got in the ground and heard very, very little. The odd 'FCBGOOOC' and 'one chrissy hughton' etc.

The FCB must be rubbing his hands in delight.

I assume I'm not alone in seeing numerous fights breaking out in the crowd. One man was knock out cold about 10 along from me by a massive guy. I have no idea what went on.

The protest was loud, proud but unfortunately unorganised and not structured.

Anyway, we won 3-1, I've never felt so depressed after a Newcastle game ( including both 2-1's against the unwashed put together) and I'm definitely not going back.

My seat will sit empty for the remainder of his tenure.

Could cry.

I left the ground on a bit of a high to be honest, and it wasn't the drink I was genuinely proud of the effort. The anti Ashley pro Hughton chants were as prevelant as I expected though. His wife looked worried didn't she poor cow, he shouldn't have put her in the firing line, and seeing him and Llambias celebrating the third was quite sickening, I'm sure Chris would've muttered "cunts" while watching them on MOTD.

One of my mates came out the closet yesterday in the pub, I knew the truth in my heart of hearts, he's a really good mate of mine, been a Liverpool fan all his life with a toon leaning, but yesterday he announced to me and another mate he's Newcastle in his heart and we're not allowed to tell anyone so he saves face.

The thing is mate it was a canny day yesterday, if you let them ruin the rest of the games this season for you they've won.