Drink driving

Seen absolutely loads of people driving whilst on their mobile phone lately.

good point

it won't change until we see the same lack of tolerance exhibited about booze on here

as I understand it the law allows you to drive with around 2-3 units of alcohol - it takes the average male a couple of hours to burn off each unit so 4 pints = 8 units = 6 units over = 12 hours not driving

In Norway they often breathalise people on their way TO work in the morning and make a canny catch

I wonder how many on here could be so adamant that they've never been over the limit the morning after

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Seen absolutely loads of people driving whilst on their mobile phone lately.

good point

it won't change until we see the same lack of tolerance exhibited about booze on here

as I understand it the law allows you to drive with around 2-3 units of alcohol - it takes the average male a couple of hours to burn off each unit so 4 pints = 8 units = 6 units over = 12 hours not driving

In Norway they often breathalise people on their way TO work in the morning and make a canny catch

It's nearer an hour per unit, but probably a lot less than that if you are a regular drinker. Otherwise I reckon about 10% of people would be over in the morning.

About ten years ago I used to work in a supermarket warehouse and often did the early shift (started 7 am). Didn't even think about it at the time but I must have frequently been well over, thankfully I was never stopped. That was just pure ignorance. Very careful nowadays (often won't drive on a Monday morning).

A pint of stella is 3 units, so according to Rob it would take more than 2 days to metabolise 10 pints.

Anyway, the morning after is the main reason I don't want the limit reduced. If I'm out and driving though, I rarely touch even a half of beer - what's the point?

Some academic did a study that showed a correlation between cars getting safer and driving standards getting worse. People feel invincible in their 5-star-NCAP, ABS and traction-controlled boxes, so they feel greater risk is acceptable as the car will save them if anything goes wrong.

He suggested (only half-jokingly) that driving standards would improve dramatically if there was a big spike in the centre of the steering wheel and the petrol tank was mounted on the front bumper.

I've seen/read people (usually women as it happens) advocating 4x4s on the basis of "I'm safe" without any kind of thought for the poor bastards they hit because they can't handle them.

(Note I consider myself at best an average driver).

Some academic did a study that showed a correlation between cars getting safer and driving standards getting worse. People feel invincible in their 5-star-NCAP, ABS and traction-controlled boxes, so they feel greater risk is acceptable as the car will save them if anything goes wrong.

He suggested (only half-jokingly) that driving standards would improve dramatically if there was a big spike in the centre of the steering wheel and the petrol tank was mounted on the front bumper.

Shown by the way they behave in a car as well imo. I.e. people rant and rave at total strangers in a manner in which they would never do on the street, for example.

Nee chance of me doing it, like. If there's likely to be drink involved in anything I'll just not take the car. I know for a fact I'd struggle to drive properly after a drink anyway. I have always been incapable of having two or three without feeling completely nackered afterwards. I always get a yawn attack unless I carry on drinking. I don't feel the need to find out how bad this would make me behind the wheel!

I can see what people mean about it having been accepted in the past though. I remember my mate's fatha saying they all used to get wankered and drive thier transit van to away games etc. with the driver just as involved as the rest.

Same sort of thing when I was watching the second series of Auf Pet for the first time and seeing them all jump in the minivan after a session. It was just the done thing then, seemingly. I appreciate that's not real by the way, it was just an example. :lol:

Shown by the way they behave in a car as well imo. I.e. people rant and rave at total strangers in a manner in which they would never do on the street, for example.

DO they fuck, I tell you what that's bang out of order, PM me your name and I'll find you myself ;):lol:

depends where you are I guess - not everywhere has a taxi waiting at the door

rubbish. Is this you trotting out your "excuses for all, he's a nice lad really" bollocks again.

rubbish. Is this you trotting out your "excuses for all, he's a nice lad really" bollocks again.

try getting a taxi at the Olgas in C Australia

article-0-0040F8F300000258-817_468x418.jpg

When I was working in the Caribbean over the summer the drink drive laws there appeared to be 'don't drive while drunk' but given that they didn't possess a single breathalyser on the island and the police were rarely about it was a license for most to just get pissed and drive home.

Looking back I can't believe that I got in a car with some of the drivers that I did, including one who had to pull over because she was too drunk to actually see the road.

not really arsed. Think about the poor bastard that you hit, instead of giving them a gentle rap on the knuckles and letting them go out and do it again.

Absolutely intolerable imho. Although statistics show that drivers with just a little alcohol actually are less likely to cause accidents it's that most people can't control their drinking habit and the risks are too big. Some of the accidents and cases of drink driving I had to decide have been horrific.

When I was working in the Caribbean over the summer the drink drive laws there appeared to be 'don't drive while drunk' but given that they didn't possess a single breathalyser on the island and the police were rarely about it was a license for most to just get pissed and drive home.

Looking back I can't believe that I got in a car with some of the drivers that I did, including one who had to pull over because she was too drunk to actually see the road.

:lol: