Newcastle Vs Tottenham

Anorthernsoul

• Replies 554
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know there is some blatant hypocrisy going on with the 'what if' game but with the margin between success and failure so narrow at times, its fair to say that if the last two games had finished after 90 minutes, we'd be a point behind Sunderland with a game in hand and CT's prediction earlier this season should have at least 10 posters on here eating humble pie. Interestingly, The Fish, who had the longest disagreement with CT regarding his optimism has completely piped down.

Its a shame like because we didnt get those points and we could quite easily get sucked down the table with a poor run. However, that hasnt happened yet and one thing that does need to be said, is that given the narrowness of the margin of error/success, calling someone a stupid cunt for believing in the positives (that we had gone on to win our last 2 games) is now clearly the stupider of the 2 positions. Its a case of close but no cigar but it clearly wasnt that stupid a position to take. If it all goes massively tits up from here, i'll be very surprised as again the performance level was more than good enough again.

As for yesterday, we clearly benefitted from Bale's departure as he would have stretched Barton and Simpson more than they were. We also on another day would have scored the second goal and won the game. Spurs probably deserved a point but if they have to rely on midfielders to score they couldnt have complained about a loss. Thought Defoe and Crouch were poor.

:(:icon_lol::D:wub: :wub: :wub: :wub: :wub: :wub: :wub: :wub: :wub: :wub: :wub: :wub: :wub: :wub: :wub: :wub: :wub: :wub: :wub:

That is all.

What should happen is this.

Carroll, Tiote come back. Gosling and, hopefully soon, Ben Arfa return from injury and quickly get back into things.

Having 3 of those 4 would make our squad immensely stronger, and Gosling has potential and a lot to prove.

Those 4 PLUS a couple of new signings (winger and striker) and we could do well this season. We really need Carroll's goals, Tiote's ball retention and Ben Arfa's ability to scare defenders. They're all top class international players in their early 20s. The club should be built around them.

While I see what you're saying....having 3 of those 4 back wouldn't make our squad any stronger at all really. It would be a boost to the team but if Coloccini, Barton and Enrique were injured/banned then we'd really be struggling again. We all knew we'd get these injuries/bans and we all said the squad wasn't good enough to cope, if a few come back in then it's inevitable that a few others will take a knock as the season wears on. Dreamland to imagine we can go into the last 3 months of the season with no first teamers out. It's looking like Perch will be our best option from the bench for a while.

But ITS IS COPING Happy, we are still 7th.

Guest You FCB Get Out Of Our Club
I know there is some blatant hypocrisy going on with the 'what if' game but with the margin between success and failure so narrow at times, its fair to say that if the last two games had finished after 90 minutes, we'd be a point behind Sunderland with a game in hand and CT's prediction earlier this season should have at least 10 posters on here eating humble pie. Interestingly, The Fish, who had the longest disagreement with CT regarding his optimism has completely piped down.

Its a shame like because we didnt get those points and we could quite easily get sucked down the table with a poor run. However, that hasnt happened yet and one thing that does need to be said, is that given the narrowness of the margin of error/success, calling someone a stupid cunt for believing in the positives (that we had gone on to win our last 2 games) is now clearly the stupider of the 2 positions. Its a case of close but no cigar but it clearly wasnt that stupid a position to take. If it all goes massively tits up from here, i'll be very surprised as again the performance level was more than good enough again.

As for yesterday, we clearly benefitted from Bale's departure as he would have stretched Barton and Simpson more than they were. We also on another day would have scored the second goal and won the game. Spurs probably deserved a point but if they have to rely on midfielders to score they couldnt have complained about a loss. Thought Defoe and Crouch were poor.

Chez the major issue people have had with CT is his blind support of this regime. When your squad is so threadbare that you need to sling JAMES FUCKING PERCH, on in midfield, I think everyone who vilified CT at the time has proven correct. 7 days to go and still no cunt in.

We were shit...have been for a month now.

No where near as shit as your support though.

hahahaare you kidding me? All you could here on the box was the spurs fans.

the first half was like a wake.

Truly pathetic from a crowd of that size.

As Happy Face said he sits in Level 7 the same as I do, i.e. less than 100 foot from the away fans. They didn't even sing one song, like honestly not one, he's saying they did after the goal, well I fucked off in the huff so I didn't even hear that. Was a great atmosphere second half, first a bit quiet but against middle of the road clubs the atmosphere is rarely the best. I tell you one thing the atmosphere yesterday was 100 times better than the one at WHL when we played you in December, I'd say you were the worst support this season but you weren't you were no worse than Liverpool, they've all been fucking shit.

We were shit...have been for a month now.

No where near as shit as your support though.

hahahaare you kidding me? All you could here on the box was the spurs fans.

the first half was like a wake.

Truly pathetic from a crowd of that size.

Difficult to judge from a call centre in Berkshire, or whatever suburban shithole working there lets you afford.....at least Stevie was there, and I was at your place a month ago where the only time we heard you is when you scored.

He'll sign someone if the deal is fits in with the way the club is now run.

What they wont do is get blackmailed to sign or loan average players with silly wage demands.

I think something will still happen as the window closes, however I would rather we bought nowt than rubbish.

The players we have are easily capable of maintaining premiership status.

Are you daft?

all the above aside, with our small squad, our lack of quality as it is, without a guaranteed cemented replacement coming in, would you let a player who can start at times bugger off on loan?

no, no you wouldn't, and if that's the way to "run a club" we are well and truly fucked if barton,caroll and enrique pick up injuries.

This is why Ashley is a cunt,

Pardew is a dogsbody,

edit > i literally can't fathom how you can call yourself a newcastle fan,

But for two late goals we would be 4 points off a champions league spot.

but we DID concede 2 late goals.

Make the most of this season, because he will not build on a decent first season up, and that will mean downwards again here we come.

Yet he built on promotion with Ben Arfa and Tiote? What inside info do you have Leazes that says he wont continue this investment?

and perch, and a few freebies.......you get what you pay for in this game CT. How many times does this need to be said, if buying proven quality players is not the way to get success, you better have a word with every successful club there has ever been.

You are bound to find one or two successes, that goes without saying, but more of them fall by the wayside and eventually your good players sense that they are playing for a team going nowhere.

He won't spend the money to make the club a force, but it depends on what your ambition is for the club and how good you think it should be what your views are on that.

My mate said yesterday we have a decent first 11 and he is right, but most teams have a decent first 11, and most teams don't get to play their first 11 so having players injured and suspended is no excuse, you have to cater for this, its a squad game and you need 15 or 16 players.

Not having been there, I'm a bit baffled.

Reading bits and bobs, it seems we had a 4 on 2 late on, then Barton lost the ball - they go down the other end and equalize?

Pardew made reference to the crowd inciting the team to press for the winner. We all know what he means. If we did have a 4 on 2, then I know exactly how the crowd would have bayed for the second goal to kill them off, rather than head off into the corner.

Was it actually a 4 on 2, or are reports 'wide of the mark' ???

As NUFC fans we shouldn't take anything for granted, including safety this season

95-96 and all that...

Supporting a team is all about being bullish about each game and the season in general. Even more so when the performances and league position BACK IT UP.

I genuinely feel sorry for fans who cant see this and dont feel the same. :(

maybe so, but you should also be aware of the weaknesses and limitations.

Carroll, Tiote come back. Gosling and, hopefully soon, Ben Arfa return from injury and quickly get back into things.

Having 3 of those 4 would make our squad immensely stronger, and Gosling has potential and a lot to prove.

Those 4 PLUS a couple of new signings (winger and striker) and we could do well this season. We really need Carroll's goals, Tiote's ball retention and Ben Arfa's ability to scare defenders. They're all top class international players in their early 20s. The club should be built around them.

While I see what you're saying....having 3 of those 4 back wouldn't make our squad any stronger at all really. It would be a boost to the team but if Coloccini, Barton and Enrique were injured/banned then we'd really be struggling again. We all knew we'd get these injuries/bans and we all said the squad wasn't good enough to cope, if a few come back in then it's inevitable that a few others will take a knock as the season wears on. Dreamland to imagine we can go into the last 3 months of the season with no first teamers out. It's looking like Perch will be our best option from the bench for a while.

I'm over the moon with 7th. But you and Tecato are suggesting we can do even better.

We've not beaten anyone outside of the relegation places in 7 games.

What they wont do is get blackmailed to sign or loan average players with silly wage demands.

I think something will still happen as the window closes, however I would rather we bought nowt than rubbish.

Are you daft?

all the above aside, with our small squad, our lack of quality as it is, without a guaranteed cemented replacement coming in, would you let a player who can start at times bugger off on loan?

no, no you wouldn't, and if that's the way to "run a club" we are well and truly fucked if barton,caroll and enrique pick up injuries.

Pardew is a dogsbody,

Make the most of this season, because he will not build on a decent first season up, and that will mean downwards again here we come.

Yet he built on promotion with Ben Arfa and Tiote? What inside info do you have Leazes that says he wont continue this investment?

and perch, and a few freebies.......you get what you pay for in this game CT. How many times does this need to be said, if buying proven quality players is not the way to get success, you better have a word with every successful club there has ever been.

You are bound to find one or two successes, that goes without saying, but more of them fall by the wayside and eventually your good players sense that they are playing for a team going nowhere.

He won't spend the money to make the club a force, but it depends on what your ambition is for the club and how good you think it should be what your views are on that.

My mate said yesterday we have a decent first 11 and he is right, but most teams have a decent first 11, and most teams don't get to play their first 11 so having players injured and suspended is no excuse, you have to cater for this, its a squad game and you need 15 or 16 players.

Yup.

While I don't share CT's blind optimism I don't think we're in trouble of relegation this season. Too many poor teams in the league and we're playing all right and have more players to return.

I think as blind as CT is being on one side of the see-saw, there are a fair few nay-sayers on the other who're just as blind.

Im not blind Fish, but league position and performances dont back up the nay-sayers position.

Relegation is extremely, extremely unlikey. This is the same view the bookies take.

While we are playing well AND maintaining our league position I will remain positive.

I don't want to portray myself as a "nay-sayer" or a pessimist. On the contrary, I reckon we'll stay up, in a comfortable mid-table position. I'm just very aware of how fine the margins can be in this league and I don't want to take anything for granted until it's confirmed.

Please tell me what's wrong with the following statement:

There are 8 points separating us from the bottom 3. The clubs in the bottom 3 have shown that they are able to pick up points and are certainly not doomed to any particular outcome. If we were to embark on a bad run, the gap would likely be closed. 8 becomes 5, 5 becomes 2.

Of course it could go the other way and we end up qualifying for Europe. It's still January, who knows what will happen.

aye, we won't go down, but we have to keep plugging away, a few defeats would send us about 6 places down the league and we would be looking at the bottom places again.

How many points did we have the season we got relegated at this point? if i remember correctly we had done ok, however we lost our form, that lasted for the rest of the season, hence we got relegated

when you consider Alan Shearer managed the team for the last 8 games and we only got 5 points................one short of staying up.

Chez the major issue people have had with CT is his blind support of this regime. When your squad is so threadbare that you need to sling JAMES FUCKING PERCH, on in midfield, I think everyone who vilified CT at the time has proven correct. 7 days to go and still no cunt in.

First of I dont see it as blind. Since relegation I think the club has been on a sustained upward trend. They backed Hughton during the promotion push, they brought it good players in Tiote and Ben Arfa in the summer and they are securing our good players on long contracts and refusing to sell good players.

We have a policy in place that we are no longer going to pay silly money for journeymen. Again, I have no problem with that given the way finances are now in football and infact think it will make us a more solid club over the next few years.

With regard to James Perch. He made it onto the park because we have Tiote, Ben Arfa, Dan Gosling, Guthrie and Alan Smith were all injured. Getting on because 5 players who would normally start before him are either injured or suspended is more due to bad luck than a threadbare squad.

That said, I am not for minute saying we dont need more people and better people in.

First of I dont see it as blind. Since relegation I think the club has been on a sustained upward trend. They backed Hughton during the promotion push, they brought it good players in Tiote and Ben Arfa in the summer and they are securing our good players on long contracts and refusing to sell good players.

We have a policy in place that we are no longer going to pay silly money for journeymen. Again, I have no problem with that given the way finances are now in football and infact think it will make us a more solid club over the next few years.

With regard to James Perch. He made it onto the park because we have Tiote, Ben Arfa, Dan Gosling, Guthrie and Alan Smith were all injured. Getting on because 5 players who would normally start before him are either injured or suspended is more due to bad luck than a threadbare squad.

That said, I am not for minute saying we dont need more people and better people in.

long contracts aren't good, only a truly top footballer should be tied down for that long. Same as managers.

We may have paid over the top money in the past for some players, but not for most of the others. The direct opposite ie offering small wages for players who will get more somewhere else, will only lead to losing these players and our stock within the game going down. Common sense. No good footballer will come here for 30k if the likes of Liverpool and Villa will pay double, and we should be trouncing villa and probably beating Liverpool in these stakes too.

Edited by LeazesMag

I'm over the moon with 7th. But you and Tecato are suggesting we can do even better.

So you agree the squad IS coping?

I'd be delighted to stay at 7th. Whilst I have an optimistic bet on with Fish over Europe, all Ive been pointing out, in the face of negativity, is what Chez Given has expressed much better than I could do.

To move forward to the level we are at now (first season back) isn't that demanding as we can all see (to our collective surprise). The PL bar the top 5/6 is quite average with most sides able to beat each other on their day (think we all agree on that). Most sides get by with 3/4 quality players and the rest are generally fillers/cloggers/average players with high fitness.

The real test for Ashley is the next level. Challenging for Europe every season and sustained top 6 finishes.

Challenging for top 4 the minimum spend I estimate is around 50m.

Edited by Park Life

Who with??? Routledge, Best and Harewood? That was good of them. Of the three players you mention, Tiote and Ben Arfa are the future of the club, Gosling could come good, and despite his canny game yesterday Guthrie isn't a long term option, don't even need to mention Smith. The HBA injury is long term, Smith is long term shite, it's obvious we at least need someone on loan. It's a sad state of affairs when the only three options we have to put on are PL, Ranger and a shit right back in midfield. That is down to FMA. Saying they backed Hughton in the Championship :( They made £35m in sales and cut salaries, and spent what £4m???

Are you daft?

Pardew is a dogsbody,

My ambition is a realistic steady recovery from what has been a disasterous few years at the club.

I consider 7th in the league so far, in our first season back, a good start.

I consider not selling our best players a good start.

I consider tying down talent on decent contracts a good start.

I consider getting people in place to find new talent a good start.

I even consider replacing a manager who you dont think cuts it, a good start.

And I consider that we have a team capable of playing exciting attacking football, a good start.

I am very happy for this steady recovery to continue where as you only want a big cheque book and a gamble on success.

Loads of clubs have thrown millions around and are in a much worse position than us. How much did o'neill waste at Villa, Bruce at Sunderland?

To be honest, Im proud of our club. We have our dignity back and are on the March again.

Viva la resistance.

Anyone know where Martin Hardy is from. Never read a more disgusting match report in my life, he's either got no foreskin or he's a mackem, one of the two. I won't buy the News of The World again.

To move forward to the level we are at now (first season back) isn't that demanding as we can all see (to our collective surprise). The PL bar the top 5/6 is quite average with most sides able to beat each other on their day (think we all agree on that). Most sides get by with 3/4 quality players and the rest are generally fillers/cloggers/average players with high fitness.

The real test for Ashley is the next level. Challenging for Europe every season and sustained top 6 finishes.

Challenging for top 4 the minimum spend I estimate is around 50m.

Totally agree

So you agree the squad IS coping?

I'd be delighted to stay at 7th. Whilst I have an optimistic bet on with Fish over Europe, all Ive been pointing out, in the face of negativity, is what Chez Given has expressed much better than I could do.

Our squad is coping as well as Stoke aye.

Spurs won't make the CL this season, I expect them to cut back a bit next season. We are much closer to them than the squad's reflect. If we get the 2/3 we need as quality and back up there won't be much between us, them and Liverpool (who are completey out of cash and I don't expect big money from the new owners). For if they had big money they wouldn't have bothered with Dalglish (stop gap). This might change in the summer, but I really don't think so, especially if they lose Torres and basically there is no replacement for Gerrard under 40/50m who is on his way down as is Lampard and Terry. Joe Cole is pretty much finished as Chelsea recognised and wasn't worth another 80k a week contract. Spurs have fucked up buying Pienaar, I really don't rate him at all.