Ashley's Transfer History thread

Happy Face

@LM

The only reason I struggle with your perspective is that you are worry about stuff that hasnt happened. Its just a different mentality not right or wrong. I'm the same is every aspect of my life. I'll worry about something when the shit hits the fan (like in the NUFC Away bogs yesterday :lol: ) not before. To support your pov somewhat, if Im at work and I can see something is heading that way, I'll step in and put it right.

Trouble is, with Pardew he has such a golden tongue you dont know what he is saying is true, or bullshit. Is he being fed lies from MA and DL or does he know the truth but he is in place as he can deliver a lie well? I've thought about this a lot. I have been so fucked off with the action of MA off the field that I gave up. I actually gave up. Now, Im trying to concentrate on football taking each week as it comes. We're in 6th, having a decent season and Im enjoying it. We have players who can play on the ball and Im enjoying watching them.

I'm not "worried" about anything. I've seen it all before, I never "worried" about the so called threat of administration which never materialised, partly because no club goes out of existence as was portrayed by the anybody but Fred brigade and it would not happen to a club like NUFC having survived 1991 when it almost did - and it would have happened then if it ever was going to happen, but also even those that it has happened to, have mostly only been relegated in effect. I've seen NUFC relegated 3 times, shit happens.

The only thing I would dearly love to see, before I am too old, is to see NUFC win the League and/or the FA Cup [or even the League Cup] before I'm too old to go to games anymore. I am afraid that this time has passed my entire generation by. I was 8 months old when NUFC last won the FA Cup. I blame the slide of the club in the 1960's, 70's and 80's when put against the history of the club, because the people who ran it during this time were small men and not capable of doing what they ought to have done, the club had a mountain to climb in real terms when they finally started to get their act together again. Keegan said "the first trophy will be the hardest, because it has been so long", and he is right. McKeag, Seymour etc ? They started the rot of the only period in the entire history of the club when they won nothing. My generation.

I don't "worry", its just frustrating, but I've got hundreds of great memories if its any consolation.

Pardew may or may not believe the bullshit from above, and bullshit it is, but he is only doing his job by being positive in front of the press. He could do a Keegan, and tell it like it is, but Keegan was unique, he is also financially secure and so could do what he liked and also get away with it because of the esteem he is held in by the clubs support.

Edited by LeazesMag

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So in summary over whether NUFC are a 2nd rate selling club we have:

For

• we sell our best players
  • we don't back our manager
  • we operate a "sell and replace" policy rather than an "improve and build"

Against

• Spending 10m on Cisse
  • Not actually flogging anyone
  • Giving two of your best players new contracts

Not sure there is much more to say really.

I don't think a few good things in the short term balance out the longer term setup and ambitions at all. You will see.

And on that note i just want to re-iterate that i have always said that you may be proven correct. There is a bit of a difference in perspective here. For me, all the current signs suggest an increasingly engaged owner who (without going too much into the psychology) may be increasingly willing to invest a greater amount into the club. For you, this is just an impression given by a few short term positives but that trend will reverse.

Ashley adopted a new business and investment strategy for the club during the relegation season, he took the club off the market and things were then done differently. The overall picture is not clear because of Carroll but once you get past that, the signs point in one direction. I'm circumspect enough to accept that the future may bring the sales of key players again, its inevitable really.

However, the club are currently pushing to get into Europe, they invested 10m into that effort about 5 or 6 weeks ago, its got us 4 points already. The view of their ambition to get to Europe is further cemented by the new deals for Krul and Colo as that is further investment. What part of that is not moving in the right direction?

Leazes, to avoid much of the pointless debate and back and forth, do you care to offer some metrics by which to measure our impending doom? Rather than your statement that you will be proven right at an indeterminate point in the future.

So far you have stated that we will never qualify for Europe through our league position under Ashley. Any more?

when you say "impending doom", do you mean booing a team for only finishing 5th or saying "anybody but Fred could do better than this" ?

Anyway, you are now someone else I'm going to stop trying to educate, I've gave up on you. I'm not going to put you on ignore, like a bairn, but I'm not going to tell you where you are going wrong anymore.

For

Against

• Spending 10m on Cisse

I don't think a few good things in the short term balance out the longer term setup and ambitions at all. You will see.

And on that note i just want to re-iterate that i have always said that you may be proven correct. There is a bit of a difference in perspective here. For me, all the current signs suggest an increasingly engaged owner who (without going too much into the psychology) may be increasingly willing to invest a greater amount into the club. For you, this is just an impression given by a few short term positives but that trend will reverse.

Ashley adopted a new business and investment strategy for the club during the relegation season, he took the club off the market and things were then done differently. The overall picture is not clear because of Carroll but once you get past that, the signs point in one direction. I'm circumspect enough to accept that the future may bring the sales of key players again, its inevitable really.

However, the club are currently pushing to get into Europe, they invested 10m into that effort about 5 or 6 weeks ago, its got us 4 points already. The view of their ambition to get to Europe is further cemented by the new deals for Krul and Colo as that is further investment. What part of that is not moving in the right direction?

they didn't "invest 10m", they spent 10m out of a lot of money burning a hole in the pocket, of which there is still a substantial amount left.

That is NOT moving in the right direction.

And I'm not so convinced of Cisse as a lot of the hype, although as we haven't seen the money from Carroll, we may as well have kept him at the club and had Cisse, Ba and Carroll all on the books.

We may be "pushing for europe" but we have dropped 4 home points against 2 teams below us in the league in the last week. If we still had more fire power etc etc those points could yet prove costly, so what price "pushing for europe" ? If not for the "sell and replace" policy, that place could be almost in the bag by now.

That is the difference between real ambiton and the whole thing being totally unexpected and a complete surprise.

Edited by LeazesMag

Leazes, to avoid much of the pointless debate and back and forth, do you care to offer some metrics by which to measure our impending doom? Rather than your statement that you will be proven right at an indeterminate point in the future.

So far you have stated that we will never qualify for Europe through our league position under Ashley. Any more?

when you say "impending doom", do you mean booing a team for only finishing 5th or saying "anybody but Fred could do better than this" ?

Anyway, you are now someone else I'm going to stop trying to educate, I've gave up on you. I'm not going to put you on ignore, like a bairn, but I'm not going to tell you where you are going wrong anymore.

And I'm very thankful for that.

So do you wish to make some concrete predictions about how you see the club performing in the coming seasons?

For

Against

• Spending 10m on Cisse

The only sane way to view it really. We all want it quicker and we all want certain players out of the first team quicker, to be replaced with better, but Ashley clearly doesn't see the rush. I think he equates rushing it with telephone number wage bills and unacceptable wastage, for pretty obvious reasons. So far we've been pushing in the right direction, anyone who doesn't acknowledge that has to be prosecuting an agenda. It's not the same as saying it will last forever but then nothing ever does. It's second season back up and it's finding out how to operate most effectively outside of the artificial money league.

What I like about LM is he's consistent. He rarely changes his view to go with the prevailing winds. He's stalwart. Very British. He's absolutely certain of his convictions and whatever evidence there is to the contrary, however many people oppose him, he'll back his view to the hilt until it's proven either way. The wind will always change back his way, and he'll revel in the glory.

Chez is more slippery, like a foxy fox. His view is shaped by the latest facts, always happy to change tack. It's all that time in France, he'd have backed the Vichy government. He'll take the fact that no-one made an offer for any of our players in the space of 30 days as proof positive that the club have learned the lessons of what it takes to compete at the top level. Ignoring the 5 years previous. He made the same mistake after the Summer 2010 window, only to see Carroll sold in Jan 2011. Chez rolled with the punch, did some fancy footwork, worked the angles, and came out jabbing with reasons why it was a great move for us. He's gone from describing Barton as the best player at the club to backing Pardew's decision to get rid (though he wanted to keep him) as great management.

Chez prefers the immediacy of being right in short bursts regularly.

Leazes likes the long slow build. He's like Sting fucking Trudie.

;)

Edited by Happy Face

It demonstrates an agile mind and a willingness to look at things as they are. This means I'm happy to evaluate the Barton fiasco and the Carroll sale as they appear. Cabaye has been impressive, Ba has been immense and the shift in style of play allows a certain perspective on events. You need to update your thoughts daily, not once a decade.

It demonstrates an agile mind and a willingness to look at things as they are. This means I'm happy to evaluate the Barton fiasco and the Carroll sale as they appear. Cabaye has been impressive, Ba has been immense and the shift in style of play allows a certain perspective on events. You need to update your thoughts daily, not once a decade.

you can't argue with the tried and trusted methods, until someone comes along and shows you can match the top clubs by behaving like 2nd rate selling clubs.

As its never happened in over 100 years, I hope you live long enough to proudly proclaim you are right, which clearly you are clinging onto.

Edited by LeazesMag

The only sane way to view it really. We all want it quicker and we all want certain players out of the first team quicker, to be replaced with better, but Ashley clearly doesn't see the rush. I think he equates rushing it with telephone number wage bills and unacceptable wastage, for pretty obvious reasons. So far we've been pushing in the right direction, anyone who doesn't acknowledge that has to be prosecuting an agenda. It's not the same as saying it will last forever but then nothing ever does. It's second season back up and it's finding out how to operate most effectively outside of the artificial money league.

considering its 5 years since he bought the club, and we had the 14th biggest revenues in football, thats a remarkable observation, but usual for you as in blabbing on about events after they have happened and pretending you have said this all along. Mind, he still will never push for real success, and use the club as a vehicle for Sports Direct, which you may finally post in about 5 more years and pretend you have said that all along too.

What I like about LM is he's consistent. He rarely changes his view to go with the prevailing winds. He's stalwart. Very British. He's absolutely certain of his convictions and whatever evidence there is to the contrary, however many people oppose him, he'll back his view to the hilt until it's proven either way. The wind will always change back his way, and he'll revel in the glory.

Chez is more slippery, like a foxy fox. His view is shaped by the latest facts, always happy to change tack. It's all that time in France, he'd have backed the Vichy government. He'll take the fact that no-one made an offer for any of our players in the space of 30 days as proof positive that the club have learned the lessons of what it takes to compete at the top level. Ignoring the 5 years previous. He made the same mistake after the Summer 2010 window, only to see Carroll sold in Jan 2011. Chez rolled with the punch, did some fancy footwork, worked the angles, and came out jabbing with reasons why it was a great move for us. He's gone from describing Barton as the best player at the club to backing Pardew's decision to get rid (though he wanted to keep him) as great management.

;)

Chez is a pragmatist and a foxy fox fucker, he looks at charts and weaves his magic from the ether, he makes slashes in the curtains of reality and moves down dark alleys as the light fades. He has learned perhaps from one such as me that true magic is not recognised till long after the magician has departed. But I understand him, deep down he is mining an oft mythical seam one that he hopes will make our club great again.

He is the Chinese rabbit that stares at the moon. He waits. He strains to hear the rustling and whispering of the wild wood. He was promised greateness as a child, this is something that drives him which is in direct contrast to his logical daylight-self, when he understands this he will be free and at one.

Edited by Park Life

;)

Chez is a pragmatist and a foxy fox fucker, he looks at charts and weaves his magic from the ether, he makes slashes in the curtains of reality and moves down dark alleys as the light fades. He has learned perhaps from one such as me that true magic is not recognised till long after the magician has departed. But I understand him, deep down he is mining an oft mythical seam one that he hopes will make our club great again.

He is the Chinese rabbit that stares at the moon. He waits. He strains to hear the rustling and whispering of the wild wood. He was promised greateness as a child, this is something that drives him which is in direct contrast to his logical daylight-self, when he understands this he will be free and at one.

:lol: I'm this forum's answer to Himmler/Nietzsche.

What i most liked about Chris's post was it essentially said (to me), 'chez is right, all the time and about lots of things but LM might be in the long run'.

So fuck, in the long run, we're all dead.

http://www.telegraph...-to-profit.html

"Club prepare to announce profit"

(wasn't sure where to post this - threadwise)

Telegraph article suggests accounts won't show player trading figures .

Firstly, is this normal ? Secondly, when are they to be released ? (Im keen to learn of any possible conclusion to this SD advertising revenue caper)

Please advise . Over . .

http://www.telegraph...-to-profit.html

"Club prepare to announce profit"

(wasn't sure where to post this - threadwise)

Telegraph article suggests accounts won't show player trading figures .

Firstly, is this normal ? Secondly, when are they to be released ? (Im keen to learn of any possible conclusion to this SD advertising revenue caper)

Please advise . Over . .

The published accounts will show player trading. I think the point that was being made was that we also made an operating profit (before player trading).

What great news.

Why?

I would have thought that having an operating profit before player trading, whilst bringing in quality players, whilst being 6th in the league in March, whilst being 5 points ahead of Liverpool was a canny position to be in.

:huh:

Surely its the sort of position that makes owners feel better and more likely to offer better contracts to star players and take the odd punt now and again.

Should I be sad? :(

What great news.

Why?

I would have thought that having an operating profit before player trading, whilst bringing in quality players, whilst being 6th in the league in March, whilst being 5 points ahead of Liverpool was a canny position to be in.

:huh:

Surely its the sort of position that makes owners feel better and more likely to offer better contracts to star players and take the odd punt now and again.

Should I be sad? :(

it should also be a position from where they add more quality to the team rather than selling another top player, but we'll leave that particular angle for a few months shall we ?