Ashley's Transfer History thread

Happy Face

It's pretty fucking simple why you are not answering my question, you can't and you know the figures don't add up. There is no way that they could compete in this market, you know it but you won't say it because all your arguments will fall apart

Mike Ashley isn't competing, he's just pocketing the cash. What is difficult to understand, why are you saying he is "competing" when all he is doing is turning the club into a selling club again ?

Your "argument" is so naive and brainwashed, its amazing. You know and understand fuck all about the club and what it ought to be doing, and it shows. I will repeat for the last time, what does Man City being taken over by a bunch of Arabs got to do with Mike Ashley choosing to compete at the levels of Bolton and Blackburn ?

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's pretty fucking simple why you are not answering my question, you can't and you know the figures don't add up. There is no way that they could compete in this market, you know it but you won't say it because all your arguments will fall apart

Mike Ashley isn't competing, he's just pocketing the cash. What is difficult to understand, why are you saying he is "competing" when all he is doing is turning the club into a selling club again ?

Your "argument" is so naive and brainwashed, its amazing. You know and understand fuck all about the club and what it ought to be doing, and it shows. I will repeat for the last time, what does Man City being taken over by a bunch of Arabs got to do with Mike Ashley choosing to compete at the levels of Bolton and Blackburn ?

Tell you what, don't bother. You are a fucking nutter

Tell you what, don't bother. You are a fucking nutter

I am right, son. You should take notice and pay attention. Is Mike Ashley backing his manager or not ? What exactly are you saying ? What "market" are you talking about, because from where I'm sitting, becoming a selling club like Bolton and Blackburn has nothing whatsoever to do with Man City having a sugar daddy, because I'm 100% sure I have NEVER advocated competing at the level of Man City are doing now ?

Find a post by me if you think that I have, or stop babbling on like a chipmunk.

Mike Ashley isn't competing, he's just pocketing the cash.

He's lost money every single year he's been here man Leazes. You give the nugget too much credit when you suggest he's running a profitable operation.

By contrast your mates took millions upon millions out of the club year on year, even as we reported losses up to £30million a season. They new what they were doing to make money out of football.

He's lost money every single year he's been here man Leazes. You give the nugget too much credit when you suggest he's running a profitable operation.

By contrast your mates took millions upon millions out of the club year on year, even as we reported losses up to £30million a season. They new what they were doing to make money out of football.

and don't forget that when the Halls and Shepherd took over the club, it brought an end to decades of european glory, silverware, Cup Finals and the signing of top footballers too. Bastards eh.

and don't forget that when the Halls and Shepherd took over the club, it brought an end to decades of european glory, silverware, Cup Finals and the signing of top footballers too. Bastards eh.

Not sure how that relates to what I said.

I'm not using personal profit as a stick to beat anyone, just pointing out that your attempt to do so actually does your argument more harm than good. And as the overall argument you're making is one I generally agree with I wouldn't want you to harm that argument by accident.

Edited by Happy Face

I'm not using personal profit as a stick to beat anyone, just pointing out that your attempt to do so actually does your argument more harm than good. And as the overall argument your making is one I generally agree with I wouldn't want you to harm that argument by accident.

yes, I get your point, different way of looking at it though.

But jaysouthernmag isn't really clear what level of "competition" he is referring to here ? Does he think our "level" is that of clubs such as Bolton and Blackburn, because I'm sure as fuck I have never expected either Mike Ashley or the Halls and Shepherd to compete with the sugar daddies of Chelsea and Man City.

He appears to think we should be grateful to Mike Ashley for premiership survival, maybe he should clarify that despite having the 3rd biggest support in the country and the 14th biggest revenues in europe when he bought the club, survival in the premiership is actually, in his opinion, our true level.

I'm not using personal profit as a stick to beat anyone, just pointing out that your attempt to do so actually does your argument more harm than good. And as the overall argument your making is one I generally agree with I wouldn't want you to harm that argument by accident.

But jaysouthernmag isn't really clear what level of "competition" he is referring to here ? Does he think our "level" is that of clubs such as Bolton and Blackburn, because I'm sure as fuck I have never expected either Mike Ashley or the Halls and Shepherd to compete with the sugar daddies of Chelsea and Man City.

He appears to think we should be grateful to Mike Ashley for premiership survival, maybe he should clarify that despite having the 3rd biggest support in the country and the 14th biggest revenues in europe when he bought the club, survival in the premiership is actually, in his opinion, our true level.

Couldn't agree more.

Kevin Keegan's approach is that if you aren't competing to win, then you aren't competing. Hanging around and hoping for better than tenth place isn't competing. It should be the approach of anyone in sports. But there seems to be a view that it's just about the taking part.

This view gives rise to the notion that we have to embrace Ashley because he can't afford to invest at a level demanded to be succesful, and that seems very odd to me.

If I go and buy Arsenal, drag them down from their current lofty heights and use the excuse that I personally can't afford to compete with richer individuals and corporate owners - whatever the size of the stadium, catchment area and history - then I'd expect to be hated. I have no business buying one of the biggest clubs in the country because I don't have the means to provide for that club as it requires. If Ashley didn't think it would be this expensive then it's his mistake we're all paying for.

Ridiculous that some fans are embracing this. Hooray, balanced books and the odd away win against Bolton. :icon_lol:

Anyone hear the discussion about Newcastle United on 5 live last night?

It was advertised earlier as 'whats going on at Newcastle United' and it lasted about 10 minutes. There was John Anderson from Radio Newcastle, Martin Keown, Ian McGarry and an American pundit who is on the show regularly

The overwheming consensus of opinion was that by signing freebies and other players for relatively low fees, Ashley is 'restructuring the club downwards', 'downsizing' the club and is trying to recoup as much of his outlay as possible.

They were all asking what has happened to the £35 million and there was general disbelief that a club the size of Newcastle could be managed in such an unambitious way.

There was also surprise that a player as influential as Nolan could be sold and they kept asking what message this sends to the other quality players at the club

I agreed with every word they said.

Couldn't agree more.

Kevin Keegan's approach is that if you aren't competing to win, then you aren't competing. Hanging around and hoping for better than tenth place isn't competing. It should be the approach of anyone in sports. But there seems to be a view that it's just about the taking part.

This view gives rise to the notion that we have to embrace Ashley because he can't afford to invest at a level demanded to be succesful, and that seems very odd to me.

If I go and buy Arsenal, drag them down from their current lofty heights and use the excuse that I personally can't afford to compete with richer individuals and corporate owners - whatever the size of the stadium, catchment area and history - then I'd expect to be hated. I have no business buying one of the biggest clubs in the country because I don't have the means to provide for that club as it requires. If Ashley didn't think it would be this expensive then it's his mistake we're all paying for.

Ridiculous that some fans are embracing this. Hooray, balanced books and the odd away win against Bolton. :icon_lol:

I honestly don't see how you equate describing the situation as it is with "embracing it". I've pretty consistent in saying I think Ashley should stump up his own cash as that's the only way he's ever going to get it back, daft sale not withstanding.

Would he have spent the unplanned 100m if the debt hadn't been there? - I don't know but now we find ourselves with someone who has decided to be cautious and that is to our pain.

In practical terms there's not much we can do but hope for a change of mind from him or another roll of the owner dice - I think he knows he's unloved but I don't think that's a factor either way.

What I do think is that even if it does mean accepting to some degree a return to the bad old days where we never expected anything but just travelled in hope, suddenly demanding a "right" to finish above a list of probably 6 clubs is a bit unrealistic - no matter how positive we all want to be.

Anyone hear the discussion about Newcastle United on 5 live last night?

It was advertised earlier as 'whats going on at Newcastle United' and it lasted about 10 minutes. There was John Anderson from Radio Newcastle, Martin Keown, Ian McGarry and an American pundit who is on the show regularly

The overwheming consensus of opinion was that by signing freebies and other players for relatively low fees, Ashley is 'restructuring the club downwards', 'downsizing' the club and is trying to recoup as much of his outlay as possible.

They were all asking what has happened to the £35 million and there was general disbelief that a club the size of Newcastle could be managed in such an unambitious way.

There was also surprise that a player as influential as Nolan could be sold and they kept asking what message this sends to the other quality players at the club

I agreed with every word they said.

it's difficult to see how anybody could argue against any of that, but sadly, that is what is happening.

Couldn't agree more.

I honestly don't see how you equate describing the situation as it is with "embracing it". I've pretty consistent in saying I think Ashley should stump up his own cash as that's the only way he's ever going to get it back, daft sale not withstanding.

Would he have spent the unplanned 100m if the debt hadn't been there? - I don't know but now we find ourselves with someone who has decided to be cautious and that is to our pain.

In practical terms there's not much we can do but hope for a change of mind from him or another roll of the owner dice - I think he knows he's unloved but I don't think that's a factor either way.

What I do think is that even if it does mean accepting to some degree a return to the bad old days where we never expected anything but just travelled in hope, suddenly demanding a "right" to finish above a list of probably 6 clubs is a bit unrealistic - no matter how positive we all want to be.

I don't think you've embraced him. Thinking more of CT, Toonpack and Chez who all seem well pleased Ashley wants the club to be able to support itself ASAP, even on a championship income.

I don't think you've embraced him. Thinking more of CT, Toonpack and Chez who all seem well pleased Ashley wants the club to be able to support itself ASAP, even on a championship income.

I know this is a stupid thing to say since its why we're all here but if we could "forget" the football for a minute then if his current plan means his exit is sooner rather than later then a part of me wants it to succeed as medium/long term I hope that would be for the best. Of course these signings have to work for that which is still a big doubt for me.

Cough cough, I haven't "embraced him" either.

I believe the imposed financial policy was due to the shite left behind previously and I am pleased it's been gotten to grips with, furthermore I believe it was an absolute necessity. And yes I know the relegation made it worse, but it was beyond shite to start with.

What his long term intentions will be, will be seen by 1st Sept.

Either he want's to push on, or he want's to continue to trim to sell. We don't know yet.

There is absolutely no proof as yet of "selling club" or lack of ambition IMO. There might be come 1/9.

Nolan didn't move to West Ham because of ambition he moved because of the money/contract length (preposterous money/contract length an all). If WH and us had offered exactly the same deals (say 3 years at £45K a week) does anyone really think he'd have moved.

The whole game is riddled with cunts top to bottom, owners to players, I don't trust any of them.

Edited by Toonpack

I believe the imposed financial policy was due to the shite left behind previously and I am pleased it's been gotten to grips with, furthermore I believe it was an absolute necessity. And yes I know the relegation made it worse, but it was beyond shite to start with.

Either he want's to push on, or he want's to continue to trim to sell. We don't know yet.

There is absolutely no proof as yet of "selling club" or lack of ambition IMO. There might be come 1/9.

Nolan didn't move to West Ham because of ambition he moved because of the money/contract length (preposterous money/contract length an all). If WH and us had offered exactly the same deals (say 3 years at £45K a week) does anyone really think he'd have moved.

The whole game is riddled with cunts top to bottom, owners to players, I don't trust any of them.

What is the purpose of spending 5 years getting to grips with the clubs finances and getting the club spending within means...only then to go out and spend what is needed to start climbing higher? If he's not doing it now, and he's not done it before, he's never ever going to do it. And all the promises of 5 year plans, pushing on and steady growth are more lies.

Nolan said what he wanted, the club said no and the manager didn't fight to keep his captain. Nolan might have accepted less....if anyone had shown an interest in retaining his services...much the same as Carroll.

What is the purpose of spending 5 years getting to grips with the clubs finances and getting the club spending within means...only then to go out and spend what is needed to start climbing higher? If he's not doing it now, and he's not done it before, he's never ever going to do it. And all the promises of 5 year plans, pushing on and steady growth are more lies.

Without defending it in anyway, I think he thinks we can unearth a Tiote or two every year so by the end of the x years we have a good basis. Once again proving how clueless he is when it comes to football.

I know this is a stupid thing to say since its why we're all here but if we could "forget" the football for a minute then if his current plan means his exit is sooner rather than later then a part of me wants it to succeed as medium/long term I hope that would be for the best. Of course these signings have to work for that which is still a big doubt for me.

Not sure why anyone thinks a new owner will be better.

I like everyone on this board would love to be back to the good old days of Sir John Hall and KK but it just isnt realistic that those times can be re-created. They came about after a period of 40 odd years of being shit. Like most of you, I grew up with this shit club and the constant disappointment so when SJH & KK came along it was like a lottery win.

Even if I live to be 100 those circumstances can not be recreated as Ive already been there and done that. It will never be as good again for me.

Watching KK take training on his first day, Andy cole, promotion, Barcelona, 3 goals past Liverpool with the snow coming down, 5 past Man U, the honey monster adverts etc etc etc.

Those experiences from nil expectations are locked away and Im just thankful I lived through them.

So to the present. I dont expect a sheik or oil baron riding into town any times soon so the only way I can see even getting back into Europe is by a period of steady development. Extremely boring I know, but in my view the only offer on the table.

Since relegation I think we have been fairly stable and this is the first window since 2007 when it feels as though there is at least some sort of a plan been adhered too. Whether the plan works or fails, none of us know yet.

What I do know is that we nearly finished 9th bar a last gasp goal.

I dont think there is anyone on here who is what I would call pro Ashley. We all wish SJH had managed to build on the early success, we all wish Ashley had been better and we all probably wish the sheiks had bought us and not Man City.

Bottom line for me is a lot of this Anti Ashley stance usually comes with Anti Pardew and anti "new" players which is basically gives an anti Newcastle impression, even though I know its not.

I cant change anything thats going on so Im quite happy to see how this plays out and support the process. Ofcourse with Ashley there will be ups and downs, but as it stands today, I am fairly pleased with the direction since relegation. Its better than a hell of a lot of us expected.

Not sure why anyone thinks a new owner will be better.

I like everyone on this board would love to be back to the good old days of Sir John Hall and KK but it just isnt realistic that those times can be re-created. They came about after a period of 40 odd years of being shit. Like most of you, I grew up with this shit club and the constant disappointment so when SJH & KK came along it was like a lottery win.

Even if I live to be 100 those circumstances can not be recreated as Ive already been there and done that. It will never be as good again for me.

There's no chance of Paul Wynn shagging a real woman, but he doesn't turn gay.

Though I don't know that for sure.

Nolan said what he wanted, the club said no and the manager didn't fight to keep his captain. Nolan might have accepted less....if anyone had shown an interest in retaining his services...much the same as Carroll.

We don't know if he's not doing it now, we will by 1/9

The last sentence is beyond niaive

Bottom line for me is a lot of this Anti Ashley stance usually comes with Anti Pardew and anti "new" players which is basically gives an anti Newcastle impression, even though I know its not.

I actually agree, I think pardew is alright and Im pleased at how quickly we seem to have come out of the blocks this transfer window.

Id add that a lot of anti ashley sentiment Ive seen also comes with this odd belief that there are only two ways to run a club, shepherds or ashleys and there is no middle ground, theres even a poll right on the first page (though I know its nicks so blah)

The first sentence is beyond naive.

The first sentence is beyond naive.

Nope, it's a fact.

Id add that a lot of anti ashley sentiment Ive seen also comes with this odd belief that there are only two ways to run a club, shepherds or ashleys and there is no middle ground, theres even a poll right on the first page (though I know its nicks so blah)

I wouldn't actually mind if Ashley was honest about his intentions. I wouldn't like it if he said the aim was only to survive, but it wouldn't make us any different to a dozen other top flight clubs and I wouldn't any more vehementlty anti-Ashley than a Wigan fan is anti-Whelan.

My problem comes when they spout shite such as Llambias has recently about challenging for europe every season. There's such a discord between what they say and what they do and always has been.

One of my tests for whether someone is talking through their arse or not is to take whatever position they are claiming (me and others are wanting the club to sustain itself) and then propose the opposite. If no one adheres to the opposite then the statement is empty bollocks.

I have 3 positions on the current strategic direction of the club. The Carroll sale was a risk that paid off, Nolan will not be worth £50k a week in 2 seasons time and I hope and believe the club will be stronger in September. On this last point i'm clear on the need for gradual change and that too much too quickly is too risky.

If you want to argue those points, argue them but don't straw man empty rhetoric at me. I expect more from someone apparently intelligent (if not a little financially retarded).

I wouldn't actually mind if Ashley was honest about his intentions. I wouldn't like it if he said the aim was only to survive, but it wouldn't make us any different to a dozen other top flight clubs and I wouldn't any more vehementlty anti-Ashley than a Wigan fan is anti-Whelan.

My problem comes when they spout shite such as Llambias has recently about challenging for europe every season. There's such a discord between what they say and what they do and always has been.

See I dont think its as clear as you portray it for me.

When he arrived he did spend some money and he did make a big financial decision to get rid of Sam Allardyce. He also tried to put in place a system, I assume recommended to him by his mate at Spurs. Some of the early decisions with regard to the family area, pushed through by Mort were admirable.

I dont see these as actions of a man coming just to survive.

Then came the KK nightmare and all the shit that followed. Personally I dont think he was greatly hands on at the time and was basically leaving it to this team he had put in place to run the show. I dont think he was living it day to day as he does now.

Lots of bad decisions were made but I really think he was reeling at the time and just didnt have a clue what to do next.

Following relegation a number of things (possibly luck) fell into place that allowed stability to develop and Ashley to start re-building.

So we have just finished a season were we have on the whole performed well and should really have finished 9th.

Whats gone on over the last 12 months with scouting and the players we have targeted / are targeting doesnt strike me as a club just wanting to survive. We have attacked the window, lost out on Gervinho, got some decent players in and still have a bag full of money and targets we are trying to get over the line such as Erding and Barnetta.

Sure it would be great if we could also hang onto everyone else but thats not going to happen.

So let them do what they want this summer and see where we are in August and lets see whether we have this pacey attacking, flowing team that Pardew has talked about and promised us for months.