Stable Financial Footing

trophyshy

This stable financial footing Ashley claims to be putting us on.

1. Do you believe it? i.e. that MA is working toward making NUFC more sustainable?

2. Will it be a platform to challenge or is it merely to engineer profit?

3. If the football bubble ever does burst (I don't think it will) will we really be in a better position to exploit the post-bubble neo-prem?

4. Once he has this stable footing, how many years of that before we will compete again, if ever? I mean how many years of uncompetitive stability before even the MA backers realise he is never going to show ambition or win anything, or will we actually push on and how long may that take?

5. What price do you think he would take for the club now? You have to factor in the ££££'s free advertising his company is getting too....how much for his international billboard? Is Sports Direct expanding internationally? That would make his continued 'sponsorship' highly valuable and very cheap.

6. And so we can have a laugh in September, what amount of £35m will be spent on transfer fees in the summer?

• Replies 473
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1. Do you believe it? i.e. that MA is working toward making NUFC more sustainable?

Yes I believe he trying to improve the clubs finances.

To engineer a sale.

3. If the football bubble ever does burst (I don't think it will) will we really be in a better position to exploit the post-bubble neo-prem?

Can only be more advantageous to be in a healthy financial position.

4. Once he has this stable footing, how many years of that before we will compete again, if ever? I mean how many years of uncompetitive stability before even the MA backers realise he is never going to show ambition or win anything, or will we actually push on and how long may that take?

Depends what you mean by competing. If top 6 then we could have been competing for that this year with a tad more luck. Champions league is a rich clubs plaything these days. Cant really see that changing.

5. What price do you think he would take for the club now? You have to factor in the ££££'s free advertising his company is getting too....how much for his international billboard? Is Sports Direct expanding internationally? That would make his continued 'sponsorship' highly valuable and very cheap.

No Idea

6. And so we can have a laugh in September, what amount of £35m will be spent on transfer fees in the summer?

Anything less than a 30mill spend would be disappointing

For me its now all about the summer. It we dont spend a lot then we finally will have no doubt about his intentions.

To engineer a sale.

Depends what you mean by competing. If top 6 then we could have been competing for that this year with a tad more luck. Champions league is a rich clubs plaything these days. Cant really see that changing.

No Idea

For me its now all about the summer. It we dont spend a lot then we finally will have no doubt about his intentions.

To be fair there's only you and Skidmark that don't see the guy for what he is.

Not sure there is much point in second guessing their intentions, they are opportunists and imo didnt see the Carrroll situation coming but have taken advantage of it financially based on a (risky) belief that the objective of this season was survival and we can do that without Carroll. Three more wins and that risk will have paid off at the detriment of a promising position this season.

My main concern is that this episode has shown a total lack of focus from Ashley, if the plan was really to get us onto a firm financial footing by 2012, why accelerate it? Stick with the programme. Suggests to me there isnt much of a programme and he is running us off the cuff. Selling Carroll is not consistent with firming up contracts for existing players, bringing in Ben Arfa, having a punt on Ireland, Tiote etc. Too easliy knocked off course to have any faith that there is any sort of plan at all, financial or otherwise.

To engineer a sale.

No Idea

I disagree. I think there was quite a few on this forum who were starting to believe that with the likes of Tiote and Ben Arfa, getting contracts for the likes of Carrol sorted out, that we were on the up and heading in the right direction.

The progress since relegation would never satisfy the likes of Leazes, but I think a lot of Ashley haters still had some belief creaping in that the club was heading in the right direction.

Carrols sale has stalled that belief for me, which is why I say the summer spending bill will be make or break.

Not sure there is much point in second guessing their intentions, they are opportunists and imo didnt see the Carrroll situation coming but have taken advantage of it financially based on a (risky) belief that the objective of this season was survival and we can do that without Carroll. Three more wins and that risk will have paid off at the detriment of a promising position this season.

My main concern is that this episode has shown a total lack of focus from Ashley, if the plan was really to get us onto a firm financial footing by 2012, why accelerate it? Stick with the programme. Suggests to me there isnt much of a programme and he is running us off the cuff. Selling Carroll is not consistent with firming up contracts for existing players, bringing in Ben Arfa, having a punt on Ireland, Tiote etc. Too easliy knocked off course to have any faith that there is any sort of plan at all, financial or otherwise.

I agree with a lot of that, but in hindsight, I dont think the AC sale makes the picture any clearer, particularly with the majority of this forum saying that they would have taken the cash.

taken from 'United for Newcastle'

Pardew let it slip that the "£35 million" he can spend in the summer will include fees and wages, so don't expect too much in the summer.

We'll break it down:

Let's say we buy 2 players at £5m each = £10m

5 year deals at £40,000 per week = £20m (over five years)

Therefore if wages and transfer fees are included (excluding signing on fee)

Total =£30m

Two "£5m" players for £30m.

Edited by trophyshy

he is running us off the cuff.

sums it up really, he's a hardballing opportunist.

Think thats a too simplistic view. Im sure he has a side to him that is a hardballing opportunist, but you also dont become a billionaire by luck.

If you had asked this forum should we sell Carroll in January the answer would have been about 99% an emphatic no. The fact that the majority now say they would have taken the cash tells you something.

Its not a defining point for me.

taken from 'United for Newcastle'

Pardew let it slip that the "£35 million" he can spend in the summer will include fees and wages, so don't expect too much in the summer.

We'll break it down:

Let's say we buy 2 players at £5m each = £10m

5 year deals at £40,000 per week = £20m (over five years)

Therefore if wages and transfer fees are included (excluding signing on fee)

Total =£30m

Two "£5m" players for £30m.

If thats the case, which I can well imagine it is, we should also have the wages value from the AC sale.

To engineer a sale.

No Idea

I disagree. I think there was quite a few on this forum who were starting to believe that with the likes of Tiote and Ben Arfa, getting contracts for the likes of Carrol sorted out, that we were on the up and heading in the right direction.

The progress since relegation would never satisfy the likes of Leazes, but I think a lot of Ashley haters still had some belief creaping in that the club was heading in the right direction.

Carrols sale has stalled that belief for me, which is why I say the summer spending bill will be make or break.

I can't deny there's been a couple of potentially good moves like the ones you've mentioned, but sadly the rest of the shit outweighs any good gestures for me. Imo they are more likely distractions to paper over the mulitple cracks. A leopard never changes his spots and Ashley has been proven to be a lying bastard in the past - I could be tempted to give Ashley some breathing room to do the right thing but he continues to surround himself with scrotums like Llambias who really bring nothing to the club but disruption and aggrovation.

Yeah, that's it in a nutshell for me and ties in with my belief there hasn't been a plan in place since the KK debacle plus the notion he changes his mind like the wind in regard to the club.

The only 'plan' is to run this club at a profit. Clubs ran at a profit will not be successful. Therefore, we will never again be a successful club with the current ownership. Signing some promising players and having a handful of good results do not and never will change the basic fact that our owner's priority is not to see NUFC succeed in the league, in cups, in anything. It is to make money, and all of his efforts are focused on attaining that goal.

Many people on this board will be content to quibble over the definition of 'success' and how 'successful' the previous board(s) were, but in your hearts you all know exactly what I am talking about. We will never compete at a meaningful level as long as Ashley owns us.

Edited by acrossthepond

To engineer a sale.

No Idea

I can't deny there's been a couple of potentially good moves like the ones you've mentioned, but sadly the rest of the shit outweighs any good gestures for me. Imo they are more likely distractions to paper over the mulitple cracks. A leopard never changes his spots and Ashley has been proven to be a lying bastard in the past - I could be tempted to give Ashley some breathing room to do the right thing but he continues to surround himself with scrotums like Llambias who really bring nothing to the club but disruption and aggrovation.

Couldnt agree more with that. We had a nice feel about us when Mort was there. Said for a long time as have many others, that a proper footballing man should have followed Mort, however theres too much gone under the bridge now and I doubt Ashley would trust anyone else.

Yeah, that's it in a nutshell for me and ties in with my belief there hasn't been a plan in place since the KK debacle plus the notion he changes his mind like the wind in regard to the club.

and has learned through disaster to only employ people who greedily suck his micropenis.

do the majority say that?

Stevies Poll

50 / 50.

Well two days ago it was 52/48 :D Cant find it now but overall the same point applies. Nobody at the start of the window would have said sell him, however when the deal was on the table, half were saying take the cash.

To engineer a sale.

No Idea

Couldnt agree more with that. We had a nice feel about us when Mort was there. Said for a long time as have many others, that a proper footballing man should have followed Mort, however theres too much gone under the bridge now and I doubt Ashley would trust anyone else.

They'd just bought the club when Mort was there and there was a general feeling of 'out with the old, in with the new'. This was their honeymoon period. Mort was an employee of Ashley and a lawyer to boot. We'd be no better off if he was here but he'd be a bit more wise than Llambchops to making PR gaffes. It wouldn't mean we'd be better off, just he'd be a better liar.

do the majority say that?

Stevies Poll

It's 50-50 actually :D

I havent voted yet ;)

You can't see the results of a poll until you either vote or render your vote null though.