Egyptian revolution gathers pace.

Park Life

• Replies 264
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Qaddaffi just been on BBC news, claiming his people love him and all the bother is being stirred up by al Qaeda.

Also says he can't resign, as he holds no official title - wily old bastard :rolleyes:

I think he's reached full-on Comical Ali now. Strangehow first we (i.e. Britain, US etc.) started this, and now its Al Qaeda. So when are the Jews going to be blamed, along with the Krankies, Pink Panther and former casualty actor Clive Mantle?

Having seen another thread, I nominate Charlie Sheen as successor.

Average Middle Class Dave has done ok on this from what I've seen - anyone with information to the contrary, please bring it up. He appears to support the idea of a no-fly zone, which could be easily enforced (apparently) and would prevent Gaddafi's goons from killing people with helicopters.

I know nowt about it...but get the impression he's out on a limb with no other country willing to supply troops to enforce it once he flaunts it.

Average Middle Class Dave has done ok on this from what I've seen - anyone with information to the contrary, please bring it up. He appears to support the idea of a no-fly zone, which could be easily enforced (apparently) and would prevent Gaddafi's goons from killing people with helicopters.

I know nowt about it...but get the impression he's out on a limb with no other country willing to supply troops to enforce it once he flaunts it.

I know, that's what sucks. Far too much dithering from world leaders on this. Perhaps Dave is worried that he needs to be seen coming hard all over Gaddafi (excuse the imagery) because of our connections - financial and otherwise - to his government, but he's talked a good line on this where others have failed.

I know, that's what sucks. Far too much dithering from world leaders on this. Perhaps Dave is worried that he needs to be seen coming hard all over Gaddafi (excuse the imagery) because of our connections - financial and otherwise - to his government, but he's talked a good line on this where others have failed.

Isn't that the problem? He's all mouth.

No. That's a non-sequitur with regard to this issue. He's not going to openly espouse the merits of, say, a no-fly zone and then, given the opportunity to enforce it, do a u-turn. The problem is the dithering of the likes of Obama - though after Gadhafi's, 'the people love me,' interview the WhiteHouse has released stronger statements against him. If the U.S. were willing they could get a no-fly zone going asap. I'm no fan of Dave but he doesn't deserve criticism over this, quite the opposite.

That said, I've not been following in-depth over the last few days, so there may have been developments that render everything I have said utter bollocks. If that is so, bring them up, I'd like to get up on this one again. :(

No. That's a non-sequitur with regard to this issue. He's not going to openly espouse the merits of, say, a no-fly zone and then, given the opportunity to enforce it, do a u-turn. The problem is the dithering of the likes of Obama - though after Gadhafi's, 'the people love me,' interview the WhiteHouse has released stronger statements against him. If the U.S. were willing they could get a no-fly zone going asap. I'm no fan of Dave but he doesn't deserve criticism over this, quite the opposite.

That said, I've not been following in-depth over the last few days, so there may have been developments that render everything I have said utter bollocks. If that is so, bring them up, I'd like to get up on this one again. :(

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-africa-12615852

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-12307698

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/news/world...o-1226015590602

Edited by Monkeys Fist

talking to a load of people yesterday from the Mid East

Algeria, Saudi and kuwait are locked down

Egypt is quiet but edgy - "god knows what will happen if they renege on opening up politics"

Yemen is still working around the protests

Gulf states are edgy, Syrians pretty cheerful

Israelis are sitting in a corner biting their nails and trying to figure out what the hell they do next

I appear to have been wrong about Dave, I didn't think he would be duplicitous on an issue where the stakes are so high.

"However, the European response descended into bickering last night as clear divisions emerged over plans for a no-fly zone between the partners.

The British Foreign Secretary William Hague claimed that one could be established "very, very quickly" after Britain and France had done the work at the United Nations Security Council to prepare a resolution and Nato was planning practical steps to be taken. But Germany opposed a no-fly zone. "We do not want to get sucked into a war in North Africa," said Mr Westerwelle. The US, which would play a major role in policing any no-fly zone, has been lukewarm at best about attempts to impose one."

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/af...ns-2238678.html

The international response, or lack thereof, has been disgraceful. The sustained effort by major European countries to rehabilitate Gaddafi as a world leader and their lack of action against him in present circumstances represents complicity in his continued reign, no matter how tenuous or unlawful. The trade-off between the cost of enforcing a no-fly zone and the momentum it would bring to the rebels--not to mention the amount of lives saved--represents a no-brainer. Now Gaddafi has seen that even the U.S.'s forces, with the world's largest military budget, have been rendered redundant against him by the White House's indecision. Which means one thing: the rebels are fucked. We'll have to wait and see how much it will take for the conservatism of the West to be broken.

I appear to have been wrong about Dave, I didn't think he would be duplicitous on an issue where the stakes are so high.

"However, the European response descended into bickering last night as clear divisions emerged over plans for a no-fly zone between the partners.

The British Foreign Secretary William Hague claimed that one could be established "very, very quickly" after Britain and France had done the work at the United Nations Security Council to prepare a resolution and Nato was planning practical steps to be taken. But Germany opposed a no-fly zone. "We do not want to get sucked into a war in North Africa," said Mr Westerwelle. The US, which would play a major role in policing any no-fly zone, has been lukewarm at best about attempts to impose one."

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/af...ns-2238678.html

The international response, or lack thereof, has been disgraceful. The sustained effort by major European countries to rehabilitate Gaddafi as a world leader and their lack of action against him in present circumstances represents complicity in his continued reign, no matter how tenuous or unlawful. The trade-off between the cost of enforcing a no-fly zone and the momentum it would bring to the rebels--not to mention the amount of lives saved--represents a no-brainer. Now Gaddafi has seen that even the U.S.'s forces, with the world's largest military budget, have been rendered redundant against him by the White House's indecision. Which means one thing: the rebels are fucked. We'll have to wait and see how much it will take for the conservatism of the West to be broken.

Lovely brollies tho innit. :D

well, it looks like good old Gaddafi may be killing his own people for a while yet, assuming we learn from the mistakes of going into Iraq and just leave him to it like we ought to have done with Saddam.

:lol:

and the Saudi's have started their takeover of all those annoying little Gulf States

the question is will Mr Dinner Jacket ride to the rescue of the poor oppressed Shia in Bahrain???

Perhaps a no fly zone???

A no fly zone is all well and good in theory, but to establish it you have to neutralise the air defences, which means attacking ground targets, which means "collateral" damage and dead civilians.

and the Saudi's have started their takeover of all those annoying little Gulf States

the question is will Mr Dinner Jacket ride to the rescue of the poor oppressed Shia in Bahrain???

Perhaps a no fly zone???

so, you think we should just leave Gaddafi alone then, like you think we should have left Saddam alone ?

A no fly zone is all well and good in theory, but to establish it you have to neutralise the air defences, which means attacking ground targets, which means "collateral" damage and dead civilians.

someone else who thinks this sort of thing works out perfectly, like a computer game or a Bond film.