The F1 2011 thread

Craig

Bastard German spunk hound wins again, only relief being that none of the coverage was on him, best part of today's race being the battle between JB and LH team mates on the limit passing each other fairly makes great watching as does all the overtaking this year.

• Replies 489
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah lots of overtaking and action....but I still can't help feeling that its all too engineered. Well it is for me anyway. Its not like over-taking like it used to be....down to the drivers skill/bravery and his car/set up. Now its just pressing a button enables him to breeze past! Its too easy!! Well today it was.

Anyone been to a F1 Grand Prix before?

I'm wanting to go to one, ideally abroad but don't want to be spending an absolute mint.

Was thinking Turkey might be a possibility, Spa is closer but is the circuit fan friendly? If memory serves me right its mostly woodland that the track covers therefore less seats undoubtably at a higher price perhaps?

Put off by the British GP as its apparently a nightmare getting to and from the track.

Aye I've been to 4 British GPs. The nightmare of getting to and from the track is applicable anywhere tbh and Silverstone is considerably better since they bypassed the village and built car parks in 2002.

If I could do one abroad it'd be Spa - best drivers circuit by a million miles but would probably want to be opposite the old pits so I could see them coming out of the last chicane, down the pit straight, through La Source and then all the way through Eau Rouge. Trouble is every man and his dog wants that seat so they'll be premium prices. Other place I'd want to get around there is near Blanchimont but not sure what the access is like.

If you're after a decent race that's not too expensive I'd probably choose the German GP. They alternative the circuits between Hockenheim and Nurburgring (think it's the latter this year), both are great circuits IMO.

Aye and that's at a circuit where they didn't think DRS would be as effective, Brundle made the point that it was supposed to bring cars side by side but it's taking them clean past

Plenty of overtaking was going on without DRS yesterday too. Personally I think the tyres are having far more effect than DRS this season. When they pack up, they're shit. The Bridgestones which had been in the sport for 13 years had been developed to a point where they were so durable, it was detracting from the racing.

Another fabulous race IMO - yes Vettel drove off into the distance and that's the only downside. The racing that was going on behind him was immense. Button's pass on Rosberg was superb but racing of the day had to be Alonso & Webber with 5 laps to go. Amazing stuff.`

This is a cool blog I stumbled across a while ago. It always has some great photos on it and I think this particular entry would interest the F1 fans on here:

http://theselvedgeyard.wordpress.com/2011/...956/#more-26201

Nice find Alex.

atm I'm working on something based around 1950s motorcycle racing and some of the images out there are just amazing.

These are stills I've taken from some 8mm footage we have access to, stuff just shot by a rider, their wife or crew member and it's amazing stuff.

Maserati is at Monza circa 1954.

61.jpg

Isle of Man Lap board

54.jpg

53.jpg

52.jpg

5.jpg

62.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

found this in there which made me kind of laugh

Another Brit, Martin Brundle, had a huge crash in qualifying in 1984, but was able to return to the pits and jump in the spare car. He was all set to go out and try for a better lap, but had a question for boss Ken Tyrrell before he did so: "which way do I turn when I leave the pits?" Brundle didn't even know what circuit he was at and the team quickly switched off his engine.

found this in there which made me kind of laugh

Another Brit, Martin Brundle, had a huge crash in qualifying in 1984, but was able to return to the pits and jump in the spare car. He was all set to go out and try for a better lap, but had a question for boss Ken Tyrrell before he did so: "which way do I turn when I leave the pits?" Brundle didn't even know what circuit he was at and the team quickly switched off his engine.

Tyrell wasn't as sharp as Brian Clough - the story that when he was at Hartlepool their Centre Forward was thumped - the physio was working on him on the touchline and said

"boss - he can't go on again - he doesn't know who he is"

"Tell him he's Pele and get him out there NOW!" said the great man

according to yesterday's "Times" allegations of corruption come ever closer to the Vile Midget

the financial backers are in a bad twitch they said

• 2 weeks later...

:gay: Christ! He nearly cleared the car though!!

Well I have booked the tickets for the Senna film. At the moment its only scheduled for one night here in our Torbay Apollo, June 21st. So I thought I'd book in advance!

no comments about sending a GP back to Bahrain?

Shirley you're all not ashamed of the sport???

but... but... but... Bernie has said it won't happen. :rolleyes:

then it won't..........

TBH lads it's been a pretty quiet on here recently - the Tour de France is weeks away, the new Maddie book has sunk without trace and even I can't work up the enthusiasm to restart the People's Paula thread -

Arguing with Leazes is the last step on the road to treatment

I may have to take a break until the drug fiends start racing ....................................................... :rolleyes::D :D