The F1 2011 thread

Craig

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 489
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I see Vettel escaped a sanction for deliberately cutting up Button.

If that had been Lewis he would've had the book thrown at him. Fucking hate the cheating little douche, already an accomplished driver yet feels the need to cheat. Definitely the next Schumacher.

I see Vettel escaped a sanction for deliberately cutting up Button.

If that had been Lewis he would've had the book thrown at him. Fucking hate the cheating little douche, already an accomplished driver yet feels the need to cheat. Definitely the next Schumacher.

Actually I'll jump to Vettel's defence for once. He cut Button off, yes but he didn't impede his race. The only time Hamilton has been issued with a penalty is when he has come into contact with another driver and basically wrecked their race. Pretty evident to me that the FIA's mantra these days is that if you don't wreck another driver's race with your actions, you'll likely escape a penalty.

• 2 weeks later...

No love lost between Hamilton and Massa again then. Looking forward to Massa's reaction/punch-up after the race.

Quite rightly Massa got the penalty this time. Clearly looked in his mirrors and would have seen Hamilton yet still cut for the apex. I'm convinced Massa applied the thought that "it's Lewis so he'll get penalised again" before making the move.

BTW - where are all those people (not necessarily from TT I hasten to add) who reckoned Button was crazy to go to McLaren as he'd be absolutely destroyed by Hamilton? Not saying much now, are they? If anything it's the other way around. Button has mentally got stronger, Hamilton weaker. Jenson clearly 'best of the rest' this season.

No love lost between Hamilton and Massa again then. Looking forward to Massa's reaction/punch-up after the race.

Quite rightly Massa got the penalty this time. Clearly looked in his mirrors and would have seen Hamilton yet still cut for the apex. I'm convinced Massa applied the thought that "it's Lewis so he'll get penalised again" before making the move.

BTW - where are all those people (not necessarily from TT I hasten to add) who reckoned Button was crazy to go to McLaren as he'd be absolutely destroyed by Hamilton? Not saying much now, are they? If anything it's the other way around. Button has mentally got stronger, Hamilton weaker. Jenson clearly 'best of the rest' this season.

I can't remember exactly what I said about Jenson going to McLaren, but I'm sure I wasnt for it! I was so chuffed Jenson had won the Championship and wanted nothing to change! But I am so impressed with him and the team (though I am a massive McLaren fan anyway) But I did feel it was Lewis' team all the way.

But things have changed, clearly Lewis is the naturally 'faster' driver and can normally drive the car quick, regardless of set up.....driving around problems. Whereas Jenson needs the car to feel right for him. But I reckon Jensons feedback on what the car is doing is so good that gradually the car is becoming more suited to him. The team clearly love him, he is confident and happy in his life and it shows. Whereas Lewis seems to have all sorts going on and is clearly not a happy bunny right now.

I reckon Lewis needs his Dad back at his side, where he's always been.

He's definitely turned into a bit of a weapon.

When he first burst onto the scene I really liked him. Clearly a boy grateful just to be there, enjoying life like anyone in his shoes would do.

Then he got a title under his belt and has taken everything for granted ever since imo. He has a job literally the envy of millions and all he seems to do is moan and whinge.

I'll happily put my hand up and say I was a Button doubter - not specifically in a McLaren context (because I've never particularly liked or (over-)rated Hamilton either), just generally after the way he won his title with Brawn. He's been bloody good this season though. I reckon he's revelling in the role of "less glamorous team member" and is probably secretly quite satisfied by the path of self-destruction Hamilton has decided to take of late.

Edited by Meenzer

• 4 weeks later...

Martin Brundle leaves BBC for Sky Sports' Formula 1 coverage from 2012

Sunday, November 27th 2011, 09:42 GMT

Martin Brundle has confirmed that he will leave the BBC to become part of the Sky Sports Formula 1 broadcast line-up from 2012.

The former F1 racer and Le Mans winner made the announcement in his Sunday Times newspaper column, saying that the fact that Sky will carry the whole season live - while the BBC will only show 10 races live and the rest in delayed highlights programmes - was key in his decision.

"In 2012 I will be working with Sky Sports F1 television," Brundle wrote. "The fact that their newly-announced and dedicated F1 channel will have no in-race advertising was a key factor, but most importantly I need to commentate on every race live. Recorded and delayed sports television doesn't give me the adrenalin fix I crave.

"There will also be more airtime for the technical features I so enjoy crafting. It's been a privilege to be part of the BBC team, but now I have a new motivation and challenge."

Brundle moved into television commentary after his F1 career ended in 1997, initially with ITV before switching across to the BBC when it reclaimed the rights from 2009. This season he became lead commentator for the first time.

He also announced earlier this week that he would making a racing return in next year's Le Mans 24 Hours, sharing an LMP2 class Greaves Zytek-Nissan with son Alex.

:(

Martin Brundle leaves BBC for Sky Sports' Formula 1 coverage from 2012

Sunday, November 27th 2011, 09:42 GMT

Martin Brundle has confirmed that he will leave the BBC to become part of the Sky Sports Formula 1 broadcast line-up from 2012.

The former F1 racer and Le Mans winner made the announcement in his Sunday Times newspaper column, saying that the fact that Sky will carry the whole season live - while the BBC will only show 10 races live and the rest in delayed highlights programmes - was key in his decision.

"In 2012 I will be working with Sky Sports F1 television," Brundle wrote. "The fact that their newly-announced and dedicated F1 channel will have no in-race advertising was a key factor, but most importantly I need to commentate on every race live. Recorded and delayed sports television doesn't give me the adrenalin fix I crave.

"There will also be more airtime for the technical features I so enjoy crafting. It's been a privilege to be part of the BBC team, but now I have a new motivation and challenge."

Brundle moved into television commentary after his F1 career ended in 1997, initially with ITV before switching across to the BBC when it reclaimed the rights from 2009. This season he became lead commentator for the first time.

He also announced earlier this week that he would making a racing return in next year's Le Mans 24 Hours, sharing an LMP2 class Greaves Zytek-Nissan with son Alex.

:(

I thought it'd had been known for some time that he'd jumped ship? Brundle being Brundle however played the political game and refused to say anything until the season was over (did the same when he jumped to the BBC).

David Croft is apparently going to be co-commentator. Brilliant coup from Sky to get both of them. BBC are rumoured to be getting some Australian in to replace Brundle and sit alongside Coulthard. Hate to say it but I'll not be sticking with the BBC.

BTW....

I feel like Senna in '91

Fuck off Seb, it was nothing like Senna in '91. He was stuck in 6th, had a manual gearbox and won the race.

You're a brilliant racer, yes. But don't fucking elevate yourself to levels you're absolutely nowhere near. Arrogant prick.

My skin didn't so much crawl when he said that - It actually ran off me and hid under the table until the moment had passed. I honestly didn't think it was possible for me to dislike that little dick head any more than I already did, but alas, how wrong I was.

One of the blokes at work reckon that Red Bull 'invented' his gearbox issues so that he'd have to slow down and let Webber win at least one race in 2011. Suggested that if they hadn't made that up he'd have ignored them and carried on as normal. Totally plausible to me and if true, makes his comments even more laughable.

They asked him to short-shift FFS. If there was a problem it was over-heating at worst. Anything more and the box would have given up the ghost like Hamilton's did. Comparing what he did to Senna at Brazil in '91 or even what Schumacher achieved at Spain in '94 is nothing short of ludicrous.

They came up with that theory on the BBC yesterday and they poo poo'd it with some lap time facts, I dont understand enough though to say what.

I have watched 3 full length GP's this season and throughly enjoyed them. I shall indeed be stepping up my efforts next season to get my head into it.

I was at Grizedale yesterday and there was a rally on, fuck me, one MASSIVE Chav fest.