Pardew aiming for Europe (7th)

toonotl

Newcastle manager Alan Pardew has yet to give up hope of qualifying for Europe this season.

Interview with Pardew

Here's the table:

pltable.jpg

Here's our remaining fixtures:

nufcfixtures.jpg

Like Pardew says the Bolton game at the weekend is make or break since it will likely be between us, them or Sunderland as to who gets 7th spot. Assuming a team above us wins the Cups, that would be enough.

Also, it looks like Ben Arfa will be back for the Wolves game on April 2nd, which will hopefully help out in the run in.

Obviously it would be a massive achievement for the squad. Surely if it were to happen Ashley would have to keep the squad together and strengthen in the window.

So what does everyone think? Realistic opportunity? Or just Pardew trying to keep the lads motivated with safety from relegation surely just around the corner?

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If we win the next 2 home games there's no reason we can't come 7th, which will probably be enough. Big 'if' like. The Europa League is fucking shite like but that's another issue.

If we win the next 2 home games there's no reason we can't come 7th, which will probably be enough. Big 'if' like. The Europa League is fucking shite like but that's another issue.

having said what i just said, i think we'd actually do worse if we get into the europa league. league position wise that is...

It is possible but I'm not sure it's wise...................

Mike Wray's fantastic spreadsheet currently shows us finishing 7th and has done for the last few actual games

having said what i just said, i think we'd actually do worse if we get into the europa league. league position wise that is...

We probably would if we didn't have £35 million to spend in transfer fees to add quality and depth to the squad.

I really think European qualification would force Ashley's hand. Kind of now or never situation.

Depends on who stays and who comes in this summer I suppose but I think it's unlikely we'll see a league as open as this one in a while so it's a double-edged sword. I.e. this season could well be our best chance in a while to qualify so it'd be good to take advantage of that but next season might see us suffering from playing the extra games, plus the league might see a few more teams get their act together and the second season up tends to be a lot tougher anyway. I wouldn't complain too much if we pipped the mackems for a Euro spot though.

Mackems have a harder run in iirc, not sure about Bolton. Need to get past them this weekend first ofc.

5under1and.gif

safcfix.jpg

BOLTON:

boltonfix.jpg

Of the three I'd say Bolton have the easiest run in.

Course its possible and but for some atrocious luck it would already be signed, sealed, delivered.

Overstating it slightly like.

Last minute goals against Sunderland and Tottenham and the performance against Blackburn should have us 4 points clear in 7th already. Thats long before we get into all the other "so nearly" games and the injuries to Carroll and Ben Arfa.

Thats football though :lol:

That just shows we've got precedent of dropping silly points which doesn't lend to your theory that it's nailed on :lol:

We could certainly do it if we manage to get 6 points from the next two; there's certainly some winnable games coming up as well but also games against sides we struggled against when we had a better striker playing than we do now. We wouldn't have the squad for the EL as well, especially down the wings and left-back (this is if we manage to keep a hold of Enrique for kick-off, can you imagine 2 left-backs being signed in the summer?) though players like Guthrie and Ranger would probably do canny against the shite up until the quarters and semi's.

Course its possible and but for some atrocious luck it would already be signed, sealed, delivered.

Last minute goals against Sunderland and Tottenham and the performance against Blackburn should have us 4 points clear in 7th already. Thats long before we get into all the other "so nearly" games and the injuries to Carroll and Ben Arfa.

but we didn't hang onto those leads, or get another goal and finish the games off.

And the reason is :

not the quality to do it. Simple as that.

but we didn't hang onto those leads, or get another goal and finish the games off.

And the reason is :

With the greatest of respect Leazes, you should see if medical science can put you into ones of those deep sleep programs and we'll wake you back up when we are in the top four again.

And the reason is :

With the greatest of respect Leazes, you should see if medical science can put you into ones of those deep sleep programs and we'll wake you back up when we are in the top four again.

no, you're wrong too. It is as simple as that. A better team, with more quality and we would have won more games especially those 3 in question. You can make as many excuses as you like, but your final league positions tells you how good you are and those points, lost or not won depending on whether you think your glass if half full or half empty, will obviously either place the club a few positions higher or lower. You are just making it over complicated but that is all it boils down to in the end.

When we went down, we went down by one point. One single save from Given, a free kick from Milner, a dribble and setup by N'Zogbia. Any of those at the right time, by 3 players who should not have been sold or made to feel disillusioned with the club, and we could have got that single extra point.

Edited by LeazesMag

An inability to score when dominating possession or to defend a lead doesn't constitute bad luck. Not that 4 points clear in 7th would see us home and dry in any case. You can point to 'bad luck' etc. in one match but the argument gets a bit tenuous to say the least when it relies on mulitple results going differently. We should've won those games like.

An inability to score when dominating possession or to defend a lead doesn't constitute bad luck . Not that 4 points clear in 7th would see us home and dry in any case. You can point to 'bad luck' etc. in one match but the argument gets a bit tenuous to say the least when it relies on mulitple results going differently. We should've won those games like.

exactly.

I have never seen a more one sided 0-0 draw in my life than that game at Blackburn. We didn't win, because our finishing and general attacking was powder puff, despite completely dominating them.