Tiote signs until 2017

Del Pede

My initial reaction was to get all cynical but some fair points have been made - I'd imagine if Man Utd or whoever were interested they would have sounded him out already so the fact that he's willing to sign has to be good.

Of course he could have said to Man U "what happens if they offer me a new deal now?" to which the reply would have been "sign it, makes no difference" but thats a tad cynical even for me.

• Replies 204
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

very positive. been our standout player this year. probably one of the best players i've seen in his position, reminds me a bit of makalele... uses it simple and often intercepts rather than over commits.

if he is here next season then all good. i still really rather have my doubts.

I said in the Enrique thread that imo he makes about 6-9 places difference in the league and that win % just shows that to be true. Alex is spot on about his influence and impact on those around him.

This lad is special, my firm favourite player this season and i think any early comparisons to Batty have been firmly put to one side. I remember 2 months going by with Batty not making a forward pass, this lad is head and shoulders the best combative midfielder we have had at this club since i can remember. He has made the odd mistake which is down to his age but i see him improving as a player and i hope its with us.

It was nice to see some reflection on the player's comments too (everyone else seemed to rush into Professor Brian Cox mode "Yes but what does this MEAN??" as if it might reveal the answers to life the universe and everything. It doesnt, it is what it is, which is an improved contract for our best player. People put too much influence on Ashley regarding whether the player stays or not, the most important person is the player himself and then the agent. The next most influential are the buying club and Ashely. All the owner (or chairman) does is set a price. If clubs dont match it, he goes nowhere. If the club matches it but the player doesnt want to go, he goes nowhere.

So what price Tiote? Well hopefully this means he isnt 'for sale' but what it does not do is stop other clubs putting a bid in or making enquiries, using agents to influence his agent and try and put pressure on the player. We cant stop any of that happening and it will go on this summer, am sure. If he is on £40k a week then thats a £10m contract. Using price/wage/contract length ratios for other top midfielders, my rule of thumb puts his price above £25m.

Does the player want to stay?

"This is a great club and the fans have been brilliant - I have never known support like it.

Signs are good.

I made a similar point re: the player, i.e. if he did want away in the near future, then signing the contract is actually an obstacle to that.

You did and you didn't credit me either.

Absolutely fantastic news. Has shown massive promise and really has been the PL's signing of the season.

Great to tie him down for the rest of his best years.

Lets just hope that now he has signed the rest will follow and then big bucks is spent in the summer.

I said in the Enrique thread that imo he makes about 6-9 places difference in the league and that win % just shows that to be true. Alex is spot on about his influence and impact on those around him.

This lad is special, my firm favourite player this season and i think any early comparisons to Batty have been firmly put to one side. I remember 2 months going by with Batty not making a forward pass, this lad is head and shoulders the best combative midfielder we have had at this club since i can remember. He has made the odd mistake which is down to his age but i see him improving as a player and i hope its with us.

It was nice to see some reflection on the player's comments too (everyone else seemed to rush into Professor Brian Cox mode "Yes but what does this MEAN??" as if it might reveal the answers to life the universe and everything. It doesnt, it is what it is, which is an improved contract for our best player. People put too much influence on Ashley regarding whether the player stays or not, the most important person is the player himself and then the agent. The next most influential are the buying club and Ashely. All the owner (or chairman) does is set a price. If clubs dont match it, he goes nowhere. If the club matches it but the player doesnt want to go, he goes nowhere.

So what price Tiote? Well hopefully this means he isnt 'for sale' but what it does not do is stop other clubs putting a bid in or making enquiries, using agents to influence his agent and try and put pressure on the player. We cant stop any of that happening and it will go on this summer, am sure. If he is on £40k a week then thats a £10m contract. Using price/wage/contract length ratios for other top midfielders, my rule of thumb puts his price above £25m.

"This is a great club and the fans have been brilliant - I have never known support like it.

Signs are good.

I made a similar point re: the player, i.e. if he did want away in the near future, then signing the contract is actually an obstacle to that.

I didn't see it because I would obviously never ignore you :o

I didn't see it because I would obviously never ignore you :(

Edited by alex

Absolutely fantastic news. Has shown massive promise and really has been the PL's signing of the season.

Lets just hope that now he has signed the rest will follow and then big bucks is spent in the summer.

Stevie should thank you for proving his point btw.

Signs are good.

You old charmer. :o

I never read the rest of the thread like alex. Just posted my opinion. Albeit a common one.

As I said this means fuck all, absolute typical Ashley manoeveur, get a front man to shout the fanfare for something that in the grand scheme of things means nothing. At the end of the season Tiote, would've had two years on his deal, now it's going to be five, and as we all know the longer a contract the higher the likelyhood of a high fee. He got Hughton and Llambias to shout from the roof tops about it:

Friday 8th October

Newcastle managing director Derek Llambias was equally thrilled with the 21-year-old's new deal.

He said: "We're dedicated to bringing exciting young players through our youth academy to play for the club.

"Andy Carroll certainly fits that bill, having graduated through the ranks here, and we're extremely pleased to have agreed with him a new long-term deal.

"Players like Andy are the future of this club and we have spent a long time putting together a deal that is right for both him and Newcastle United."

31st January 2011

Newcastle United have sold Andy Carroll to Liverpool in a record £35m deal.

My pro Ashley mate on the text already "great news for NUFC this"

pipe down #naivemugs

If we're going to sell we'll get more money. You yourself said we'd be nuts to turn down £35m for a player 'none of us thought was worth £10m 6 months earlier'.

Nobody's saying he's now unsellable but it does show that he's at least prepared to risk the fact that he'll be here for a long time.

Aye I know that but all of this amazing news for the club is bollocks is so misguided, they'd sell their nana's the cunts if the price is right. I wouldn't sell Tiote at any price. Someone was mentioning pie in the sky bids for the likes of Milito, there are better strikers than Carroll out there, there's no one better than Cheik who we could get in.

I agree that Tiote was/is more important to us than Carroll in terms of results and I didn't want to sell Carroll even for £35m. I'm not thinking anything other than it's good business and at least means it's marginally more likely that Tiote will be with us next season. He'll still have his price though.

Sorry this reply is probably pretty irrelevant now....my brother phoned and I was talking to him for a couple of hours... :o

I never read the rest of the thread like alex. Just posted my opinion. Albeit a common one.

That's what he said.

I don't think this is a bad thing btw, quite the opposite, but I don't see it as a huge positive either, long term. I'm of the view he's quite happy here at present and the club are insuring they have a bit more bargaining power should other clubs come knocking.

Edited by alex

If we can get Barton and Jose to sign contract extension/improvements I think we have the spine of a team that will challenge for Europe next season. I think there are plenty of areas we need to strengthen. However, these three players make the difference between the European and Relegation battles imo.

Edited by The Fish

That's what he said.

Yes alright. Point made, dickhead.

That's what he said.

I don't think this is a bad thing btw, quite the opposite, but I don't see it as a huge positive either, long term. I'm of the view he's quite happy here at present and the club are insuring they have a bit more bargaining power should other clubs come knocking.

Absolutely Alex i agree but for the short term at least it means we are showing positive signs. He easily has been the best buy this year and could well end up being our rock in midfield for years to come. He keeps the team together and makes us tick and his importance to the team has been highlighted in the fact we've tied him down on a 6 years contract. It IS great news.

That said, for all i am an optimist there is an air of cynicism about this....Player of huge promise, adapted well, now on at 6 year contract means we can demand at least 20mil for him.

He will still have his price, just now it will be alot more than yesterday.

Its still good news though mate.

That's what he said.

Absolutely Alex i agree but for the short term at least it means we are showing positive signs. He easily has been the best buy this year and could well end up being our rock in midfield for years to come. He keeps the team together and makes us tick and his importance to the team has been highlighted in the fact we've tied him down on a 6 years contract. It IS great news.

That said, for all i am an optimist there is an air of cynicism about this....Player of huge promise, adapted well, now on at 6 year contract means we can demand at least 20mil for him.

:( You just said it was absolutely fantastic news man. Anyway, I agree with your 2nd post :o

So we'll get double the money in the summer. Great!

Indeed we will. Sign them up to long term contracts and then you can demand a bigger transfer fee.

Which narrows down the number of potential suitors to those you can do fuck all about anyway and even then it's gonna cost them and maybe make them think twice.

So you don't deny that's FMA's intentions then? :o

Seriously man you need to give your head a shake. Those that are likely to come in for him are the clubs occupying the top 6 places. And not one of them will think twice about financial outlay if they feel he'll vastly improve their squad.

I can honestly see Man Utd interested in him given the state of their central midfield.

It's not about intention to sell, in fact it's the opposite, if it was about a fast buck, they'd have let his contract stay where it was, now it means it's got to be a silly offer or he stays. He's FAR more likely to stay now than he was yesterday.

It's not about the FCB. It's a fact of life that IF one of the "big" boys further up the tree than you, comes after your player you are fucked no matter who you are. The ONLY thing you can do is try and make it hurt or at least make your compensation worthwhile.

We are not a Champions League team we CANNOT stop players heads being turned by the rich bastards.

It's reality, nowt to do with Ashley or anyone else. It's the way the game is and THAT is where the fundamental flaw lies. Sadly if Man U are interested in any player at just about any club, they're gone. Let's see what happens at Spurs if the rumours of Man U's interest in Modric are true, especially if Spurs don't requalify for the money machine.

Why can't people see this ?????

They are blinded by their love for Ashley. :(

The alarm bells were ringing but there was no emergency at Newcastle United's Benton base as Cheick Tiote beamed proudly after signing a new six and a half year contract at St James' Park.

The alarm bells were a false alarm but there was nothing fake about Tiote's delight after signing a new deal.

And as the giant photographic portrait of Sir Bobby Robson provided the backdrop in Alan Pardew's office, it was if he was looking down and giving his very own seal of approval.

Certainly, the powerful midfielder is the sort of player that Sir Bob would have loved to have in his side.

It's a fair bet that Robson would have been delighted to see John Carver sign his new contract just a month after joining the Magpies as assistant boss.

You don't always into the manager's office at a Premier League football club - but this was a special invitation.

Of course, cynicism will always exist in football, especially when Geordie boy Andy Carroll departed the club less than a month ago.

It was only at Blackburn that Tiote had explained in an interview that he was so happy to be a Newcastle player and that he was looking forward to the next four years, well make that six now.

Judging by a smile the size of the Tyne Bridge you could tell that Tiote is keen to stay.

But he also stated he'd like to see new faces at Newcastle in his Press conference today.

And I think everybody on Tyneside would raise a glass to that.

If this encourages more players of his class to come in, how many will complain?

The Andy Carroll sale is one thing but who comes in to replace him is another.

My mind keeps going back to the sale of Andy Cole in a different era, under a different owner.

Then Cole was replaced by Les Ferdinand and others, like David Ginola, came in and bolstered a side that went on to challenge for the title.

Time will only tell if or how much of the £35million is spent.

Certainly no matter how many questions, any Premier League manager worth his salt is not going tell the world four months before the transfer window is even open.

For now, we have one happy Cheick Tiote on our hands, Hatem Ben Arfa and Dan Gosling to come back from injury and some stability in the backroom team and 11 games left to push on.

LR@Chron

That's what he said.

:( You just said it was absolutely fantastic news man. Anyway, I agree with your 2nd post :o

In an argumentative mood thday ay alex? :(

That's what he said.

I thought you were doing a perfectly good job of arguing with yourself so I thought I'd leave you to it.

Bunch of cynics, you lot.

Blinded by hate tbh

Sad really, missing out on the enjoyment of our best seasons for years by focusing on all the bad things that "might" happen sometime in the future.

It used to be about enjoying the game on Saturday (or Sunday or Monday night) not about "well that was fucking excellent but we cannot conceivably allow ourselves to savour that because we're fucked/doomed at some indeterminate point of time in the future, possibly, mebe's, definitely IMO, but it will happen OH WOE IS ME".

Fuckin hell !!!!

the irony

:o He's got you there like, TP.

Don't see how tbh, Ashley is a cunt but we're stuck with him (regretably but I am resigned to that) but we ARE having our best season for yonks. FFS was a cunt and we did have some amazing seasons under FFS et al, BUT they were long ago with no sign of them coming back despite what some would say. Talking about the past is a LOT different to hanging your hat on some future maybe won't even happen scenario. IMO of course.

I'd love someone to buy Ashley out tomorrow, same as I wanted rid of FFS, not for what FFS "might" do but for what he was doing at that time and the shite on the pitch which wasn't enjoyable on a Saturday (Sunday or Monday night).

As we stand now Ashley's NUFC > FFS's latter years in charge and that is currently a FACT. As is the amount of cash that they have respectively put in/taken out.

I refuse to worry about what "might" happen, quite enjoying the ride just now, maybe hit the buffers, maybe won't, happy to wait and see.

That's what he said.

I thought you were doing a perfectly good job of arguing with yourself so I thought I'd leave you to it.

What? I made a point, then agreed with what you added to it? Hmmm

Blinded by hate tbh

Sad really, missing out on the enjoyment of our best seasons for years by focusing on all the bad things that "might" happen sometime in the future.

It used to be about enjoying the game on Saturday (or Sunday or Monday night) not about "well that was fucking excellent but we cannot conceivably allow ourselves to savour that because we're fucked/doomed at some indeterminate point of time in the future, possibly, mebe's, definitely IMO, but it will happen OH WOE IS ME".

Fuckin hell !!!!

the irony

Don't see how tbh, Ashley is a cunt but we're stuck with him (regretably but I am resigned to that) but we ARE having our best season for yonks. FFS was a cunt and we did have some amazing seasons under FFS et al, BUT they were long ago with no sign of them coming back despite what some would say. Talking about the past is a LOT different to hanging your hat on some future maybe won't even happen scenario. IMO of course.

I'd love someone to buy Ashley out tomorrow, same as I wanted rid of FFS, not for what FFS "might" do but for what he was doing at that time and the shite on the pitch which wasn't enjoyable on a Saturday (Sunday or Monday night).

As we stand now Ashley's NUFC > FFS's latter years in charge and that is currently a FACT. As is the amount of cash that they have respectively put in/taken out.

I refuse to worry about what "might" happen, quite enjoying the ride just now, maybe hit the buffers, maybe won't, happy to wait and see.

Because your whole critique of the previous regime is based on the financial side. That's fine in itself but you can't then argue football used to be all about just enjoying a Saturday (and by extension criticise those who don't have that view nowadays). I assume that's waht he was getting at anyway.

That's what he said.

It was a tongue in cheek comment but your 2nd post contradicted your first a bit. IMO.

That's what he said.

It was a tongue in cheek comment but your 2nd post contradicted your first a bit. IMO.

No it didnt...i said it was fantastic news but being realistic there is always going to be cynicism surrounding anything positive with this regime. Just broadening my opinion seeing as you clearly pointed out my origional one was a commonly held opinion.

Your a funny man alex :(

Blinded by hate tbh

Fuckin hell !!!!

the irony

Because your whole critique of the previous regime is based on the financial side. That's fine in itself but you can't then argue football used to be all about just enjoying a Saturday (and by extension criticise those who don't have that view nowadays). I assume that's waht he was getting at anyway.

Today it is. At the time my venom/criticism was WAY more around the shite served up across the white lines and the endless parade of shite managerial appointments.

It was looking iredeemable on the pitch "at the time" and being able to look back now and see the financial situation that emerged (coupled with the credit crunch/banks malarkey) it was patently in a critical condition on the finance side.

Hindsight's a wonderfull thing, it just made me realise how shite FFS was at the end. Maybe hindisght will prove Ashley to be worse, I'll wait until I know that as a fact, before passing judgement. I certainly won't let some potential apocalypse stop me enjoying the current season/games as they go on.