Kinnear - Appointed Director of Football

Sonatine

If that was the case why has our commercial revenue dropped significantly? Also it was Ashley that created huge problems for himself by not doing due dilligence.

I'm not ignoring you it's just those issues have been discussed to death. This is more about how we are doing here and now.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What's stable about 12th, relegated, promoted, 12th, 5th and 16th.

Yoyoing all over the shop compared with 3rd, 5th, 7th, 13th and 14th in the 5 years prior to Ashley.

Having the same manager for 3 years isn't stability if he's totally inconsistent.

You think undersoil heating installed 3 years ago is going to have had an effect on our fitness?

Consider also - that the weather hasn't been at all bad.

What am I wrong about?

Our improved fitness is down to having no European fixtures to play, This is self evidenced.

What's stable about 12th, relegated, promoted, 12th, 5th and 16th.

Yoyoing all over the shop compared with 3rd, 5th, 7th, 13th and 14th in the 5 years prior to Ashley.

Having the same manager for 3 years isn't stability if he's totally inconsistent.

You could be right or it could end up being exactly the right decision. We've seen here and elsewhere that constantly swapping managers doesn't guarantee improvements.

Maybe this will work with Pardew and all the back room staff improving in years to come.

NB all this said from someone who would have happily seen Pardew go at the end of last season. Maybe stability is the new instability. No change is the new change etc etc :)

Again, I don't for one minute think things are perfect, just that if you ignore the personalities at look at our club from the outside, it's hard IMO to argue we are not heading in the right direction.

The sloth may well be heading the same way as the rest of the animals, but pretty soon he'll find himself at the back of the herd.

I'll admit to weltschmerz, but you trumpet adequacy, you celebrate the mundane and it's baffling. A football fan shouldn't be content with survival, they should want more. the only fans that should be satisfied are the Barcelona/Real Madrid fans. Everyone else should want to be better, bigger, attracting brighter stars and glittering prizes.

I'm not being unreasonable, I don't want the world in a hand basket, I just want a measurable amount of ambition. Status quo is not ambition. It's Dad Rock.

Not much I can add Fish without going in circles.

We don't have the black holes, high interest loans or risk if administration that was crippling us in 2007. (If the price for all that is free advertising for sports direct Im not that fussed).

We can shrug at the training facilities but they were third world in comparison to what they now are and will be.

Good we agree the squad is improving. As for the rate at which it's improving I think there is a massive gulf between the overpaid journeymen we had when we were relegated compared to the quality on show now. The best measure however will be where we finish this season. A top 8 finish would be a decent recovery after last years shambles.

Good we agree we are more stable. Who knows what that might lead to.

Again, I don't for one minute think things are perfect, just that if you ignore the personalities at look at our club from the outside, it's hard IMO to argue we are not heading in the right direction.

Third world training facilities?

I seem to remember SBR raving about them in "Just call me Bobby".

The sloth may well be heading the same way as the rest of the animals, but pretty soon he'll find himself at the back of the herd.

I'll admit to weltschmerz, but you trumpet adequacy, you celebrate the mundane and it's baffling. A football fan shouldn't be content with survival, they should want more. the only fans that should be satisfied are the Barcelona/Real Madrid fans. Everyone else should want to be better, bigger, attracting brighter stars and glittering prizes.

I'm not being unreasonable, I don't want the world in a hand basket, I just want a measurable amount of ambition. Status quo is not ambition. It's Dad Rock.

This.

NB all this said from someone who would have happily seen Pardew go at the end of last season. Maybe stability is the new instability. No change is the new change etc etc :)

Don't worry, you joined to have a pop at an Ashley apologist and now you think he's a genius. No surprise you've gone from Pardew hater to touting him for England, to wanting him sacked to being delighted with the stability he offers.

Your complete failure to hold a consistent, coherent view of people's abilities is indicative of your flimsy point of view on any matter you post about and is thoroughly predictable now.

:)

There nothing you want and dream about that I don't (football wise ;) .

We've agree we're moving forward however disagree on whether the pace of movement is reasonable.

That's fair enough.

Don't worry, you joined to have a pop at an Ashley apologist and now you think he's a genius. No surprise you've gone from Pardew hater to touting him for England, to wanting him sacked to being delighted with the stability he offers.

Your complete failure to hold a consistent, coherent view of people's abilities is indicative of your flimsy point of view on any matter you post about and is thoroughly predictable now.

:)

One day I too may be right all the time like you. :)

I do wonder why in football you would consider it important to have a consistent view of someone's abilities be that an owner, manager or player?

Surely your view should change if, in your opinion, their abilities change.?

For example I'm sure in 2007, 99.99999 % of Newcastle fans were dancing in the street at the thought of an English billionaire buying us.

Your logic seems weak.

Edited by Christmas Tree

One day I too may be right all the time like you. :)

:lol:

I might talk utter bollocks about Ashley. My expectations are unrealistic. He does many things right which i dismiss and anything he does wrong i latch onto and give him hell for.

But I'm consistent. A fifth place doesn't make him or Pardew any better than i thought they were when we came 16th.

Changing your opinion every time we move up or down the table doesn't make you right all of the time or any of the time it just makes you lack any conviction whatsoever.

Not about Kinnear specifically, just in general. There are times when the typical Newcastle fan has been completely and utterly out of touch with reality it's embarrassing.

Funny because I usually find fans siding with a man who has no love whatsoever of our club, city and heritage, embarrassing personally. I have no evidence whatsoever that he wants to do anything to make us a competitive club who wants to actually achieve things, I see no evidence that he's selling the club in the right way to interested parties who could help us financially, all I see is a huffy cunt to be honest.

If we won a spakey league cup with loan players and kids it would be lovely, for a moment.

As a set of fans we dare to dream of more though. Which is exactly what Keegan/Hall harnessed to catapult us to challenging for the league. We want to be regularly competing at the top with the teams that have a similar size stadium/crowd. Our attractiveness to sponsors and the best players in the world has been shown to have all the potential of any other club.

Buying players isn't always about replacing an individual in your squad that isn't as good. It's about making a statement to everyone. Arsenal's best performance in years comes off the back of a statement signing. Breaking their transfer record and their top wage told everyone that they meant business and that sort of thing is infectious at a club lifting the entire team to better things....and frightening opposition clubs into an underdog mindset when they visit.

Ashley, Kinnear and Pardew have no such vision. They never will. Any talk of incremental improvements is an acceptance and endorsement for treading water. That's fair enough if you fear drowning.

Post of the thread.

:good:

:lol:

I might talk utter bollocks about Ashley.  My expectations are unrealistic.  He does many things right which i dismiss and anything he does wrong i latch onto and give him hell for.

But I'm consistent.  A fifth place doesn't make him or Pardew any better than i thought they were when we came 16th.

Changing your opinion every time we move up or down the table doesn't make you right all of the time or any of the time it just makes you lack any conviction whatsoever.

I never touted him for England (except in jest)

I only wanted him gone last October when it was clear as day that he was taking us to a relegation battle. You may recall most of you were in denial and accused me of being a drama queen.

I would still have him gone (that doesn't mean it would be the right decision).

To me that's a fairly reasonable opinion and probably shared by about half of the fan base come the end of last season.

I'm not ignoring you it's just those issues have been discussed to death. This is more about how we are doing here and now.

Which is why I talked about our commercial revenue declining. It's lower than the Mackems ffs.

Why would undersoil heating installed 3 years ago only have an effect on our fitness now? Especially considering we haven't had any bad weather.

My initial point was about progress and investment off the pitch and I said ....

"Is it purely coincidence that all the money invested at the training ground and the new fitness staff have resulted in what appears to be less injury prone stronger fitter footballers".

I think your nit picking for the sake of it. ;)

However maybe we turn it on to dry the grass off and make it less slippy :)

Which is why I talked about our commercial revenue declining. It's lower than the Mackems ffs.

Maybe, but as I say it's been done to death and we are where we are.

There's loads they could do better but overall I'm happy with how we are looking currently.

Do you think we were in better all round shape in 2007?

Maybe, but as I say it's been done to death and we are where we are.

There's loads they could do better but overall I'm happy with how we are looking currently.

Do you think we were in better all round shape in 2007?

Really? You're happy with the targets and ambitions disclosed by this management team?