Kinnear - Appointed Director of Football

Sonatine

Is that enough for you?

8th and stability?

I didn't read the part where it says we should throw a couple of games if it looks likely we may finish higher than 8th.

It's all about setting expectations that bear some resemblance to our financial situation and the real world.

Yesterday someone mentioned investing £40 million will see us challenging for the top four. It's not that simple as we have seen many times over the years.

Of course I would prefer an owner who would bankroll us for fun but let's come back to the real world.

We are in a decent financial position as a club AND adding BETTER players year by year AND (even against my wishes ), looking very stable on and off the pitch.

For the last three years we have constantly heard every window "they're going to cash in on Coloccini, Krul, Cabaye, Tiote etc yet here we still are with them all here.

Sure they have said they won't turn down silly money but last January's business shows we constantly have targets we are working on.

So no, I don't want to JUST survive, but I think tactless aside, we do have a forward thinking plan that is taking us forward little by little.

Some people let the "regime" get in the way of acknowledging the real progress on and off the pitch.

Is it purely coincidence that all the money invested at the training ground and the new fitness staff have resulted in what appears to be less injury prone stronger fitter footballers?

Sure the regime might be cuntish folk, but overall I think we are heading in the right direction.

That's not to say the time under Bobby or Kevin wasn't better, but older fans will count those times as not as good as the 50's 60's.

It's all relative.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is it purely coincidence that all the money invested at the training ground and the new fitness staff have resulted in what appears to be less injury prone stronger fitter footballers?

What money invested in the training ground? You mean the plans unveiled in December that are a long way off happening? And as for fitness staff, you mean Faye Downey, a part-time fitness consultant?

Edited by ewerk

Add one player per year ffs :lol:

Cardiff, Southampton, Everton, Norwich etc. are spending more than us these days. Football isn't static. Your best XI one year is completely different the next due to form, injuries, players ages. A year in football is a lifetime. When we get rid of Shola, Fergie, Sammy, Abeid, Vuckic, Jonas, Marveaux etc, one or two replacements isn't going to cut it. We are an injury to Remy away from having Shola starting every game ffs. A

Edited by TheRollingStones

I didn't read the part where it says we should throw a couple of games if it looks likely we may finish higher than 8th.

It's all about setting expectations that bear some resemblance to our financial situation and the real world.

Yesterday someone mentioned investing £40 million will see us challenging for the top four. It's not that simple as we have seen many times over the years.

Of course I would prefer an owner who would bankroll us for fun but let's come back to the real world.

We are in a decent financial position as a club AND adding BETTER players year by year AND (even against my wishes ), looking very stable on and off the pitch.

For the last three years we have constantly heard every window "they're going to cash in on Coloccini, Krul, Cabaye, Tiote etc yet here we still are with them all here.

Sure they have said they won't turn down silly money but last January's business shows we constantly have targets we are working on.

So no, I don't want to JUST survive, but I think tactless aside, we do have a forward thinking plan that is taking us forward little by little.

Some people let the "regime" get in the way of acknowledging the real progress on and off the pitch.

Sure the regime might be cuntish folk, but overall I think we are heading in the right direction.

That's not to say the time under Bobby or Kevin wasn't better, but older fans will count those times as not as good as the 50's 60's.

It's all relative.

It's the lack of ambition that sticks in my craw. Why state Top half of the Table is the aim? Why not "we'll aim as high as we can". Why not focus on silverware that we can actually win? When we've the finance and the infrastructure to sign players of the ability of Cabaye and Ben Arfa etc. Why not continue with that most modest of outlays each season.

If we were to get players of decent quality in each position and one or two high caliber players we'd be a very good bet for a cup.

However, rather than that minimal ambition Mike Ashley's plan is "If we're safe, we're not spending" He looks only to maintain, not strive to acheive. From top to tail his plan for Newcastle seems to be stewardship, rather than legacy building. He could, with a small outlay, build a squad more than capable of winning a cup. Everyone can see Newcastle United are short in 1 or 2 areas and given our scouting structure we're more than capable of strengthening those areas.

As an aside, we finished 5th because of factors discussed at length. That following transfer window we failed to kick on. I'm not saying we'd definitely have finished 5th the followin next season, but we could definitely have won the Europa with sensible signings.

It's infuriating and so, when you trot the party line, it infuriates people. Your defence of this policy of maintaing the status quo is either ignorant, unambitious or just plain contrary wummery.

They've told you their plan. Stability plus adding 1 or 2 "purple" players every year.

Wrong, Kinnear has stated squad players rather than players capable of improving the first XI, which is what purples are.

Cardiff, Southampton, Everton, Norwich etc. are spending more than us these days. Football isn't static. Your best XI one year is completely different the next due to form, injuries, players ages. A year in football is a lifetime. When we get rid of Shola, Fergie, Sammy, Abeid, Vuckic, Jonas, Marveaux etc, one or two replacements isn't going to cut it. We are an injury to Remy away from having Shola starting every game ffs. A

The only club ahead of this is the one you are wrong about. Everton made a profit last summer on transfers so spent less than us.

Pointing to spending alone doesnt tell the whole story.

TRS taken to giving his posts a grade at the end. I like this development. A*

TRS taken to giving his posts a grade at the end. I like this development. A*

If we're self-grading, won't those contributors with ego problems tend to afford themselves a higher mark than they should?

Summa Cum Laude

What money invested in the training ground? You mean the plans unveiled in December that are a long way off happening? And as for fitness staff, you mean Faye Downey, a part-time fitness consultant?

Almost sounds as if it could be down to the 16 less games in Europe rather than anything the club have done ;)

It's the lack of ambition that sticks in my craw. Why state Top half of the Table is the aim? Why not "we'll aim as high as we can". Why not focus on silverware that we can actually win? When we've the finance and the infrastructure to sign players of the ability of Cabaye and Ben Arfa etc. Why not continue with that most modest of outlays each season.

If we were to get players of decent quality in each position and one or two high caliber players we'd be a very good bet for a cup.

However, rather than that minimal ambition Mike Ashley's plan is "If we're safe, we're not spending" He looks only to maintain, not strive to acheive. From top to tail his plan for Newcastle seems to be stewardship, rather than legacy building. He could, with a small outlay, build a squad more than capable of winning a cup. Everyone can see Newcastle United are short in 1 or 2 areas and given our scouting structure we're more than capable of strengthening those areas.

As an aside, we finished 5th because of factors discussed at length. That following transfer window we failed to kick on. I'm not saying we'd definitely have finished 5th the followin next season, but we could definitely have won the Europa with sensible signings.

It's infuriating and so, when you trot the party line, it infuriates people. Your defence of this policy of maintaing the status quo is either ignorant, unambitious or just plain contrary wummery.

I don't disagree with ambition, but this constant "if only Ashley did this or that we'd win this or that.....

We haven't win anything in nearly 50 years DESPITE various periods of money having been thrown at the problem.

The online view is constantly glass half empty rather than half full.

Nothing will ever be perfect. Never has never will and very few teams have excellent players in every position with excellent back ups.

We probably have the strongest midfield and defensive options In a long time. Sure we need strikers however I'm guessing that will be addressed as it very nearly was last January bar Remy going back on his word after 12 hours.

Chill.

Almost sounds as if it could be down to the 16 less games in Europe rather than anything the club have done ;)

I'm sure your right. Those kids that went in search of European glory came back and kicked the fuck out of the first teamers in training.

The under soil heating, new fitness facilities, new fitness guru etc made no difference at all. :lol:

I don't disagree with ambition, but this constant "if only Ashley did this or that we'd win this or that.....

We haven't win anything in nearly 50 years DESPITE various periods of money having been thrown at the problem.

The online view is constantly glass half empty rather than half full.

Nothing will ever be perfect. Never has never will and very few teams have excellent players in every position with excellent back ups.

We probably have the strongest midfield and defensive options In a long time. Sure we need strikers however I'm guessing that will be addressed as it very nearly was last January bar Remy going back on his word after 12 hours.

Chill.

I can't chill.

I see a club with the history, fanbase, infrastructure and squad to act as cornerstones for a push into greatness and it bothers me when I see people settling for mediocrity all about me.

You could point at the vast sums that Man City and Chelsea can call upon, the history that Liverpool and Man U can call upon, the succesful philosophy at Arsenal are the dodgy monies at Spurs.. If 8th is genuinely the limit of this clubs reach, fair enough, however there are still cups to aim for.

The under soil heating installed three years ago? The fitness guru who was with us for about two months when we really should have a full time one? And what new fitness facilities?

Sissoko has a weights bench at his gaf.

If we won a spakey league cup with loan players and kids it would be lovely, for a moment.

As a set of fans we dare to dream of more though. Which is exactly what Keegan/Hall harnessed to catapult us to challenging for the league. We want to be regularly competing at the top with the teams that have a similar size stadium/crowd. Our attractiveness to sponsors and the best players in the world has been shown to have all the potential of any other club.

Buying players isn't always about replacing an individual in your squad that isn't as good. It's about making a statement to everyone. Arsenal's best performance in years comes off the back of a statement signing. Breaking their transfer record and their top wage told everyone that they meant business and that sort of thing is infectious at a club lifting the entire team to better things....and frightening opposition clubs into an underdog mindset when they visit.

Ashley, Kinnear and Pardew have no such vision. They never will. Any talk of incremental improvements is an acceptance and endorsement for treading water. That's fair enough if you fear drowning.

If we won a spakey league cup with loan players and kids it would be lovely, for a moment.

As a set of fans we dare to dream of more though. Which is exactly what Keegan/Hall harnessed to catapult us to challenging for the league. We want to be regularly competing at the top with the teams that have a similar size stadium/crowd. Our attractiveness to sponsors and the best players in the world has been shown to have all the potential of any other club.

Buying players isn't always about replacing an individual in your squad that isn't as good. It's about making a statement to everyone. Arsenal's best performance in years comes off the back of a statement signing. Breaking their transfer record and their top wage told everyone that they meant business and that sort of thing is infectious at a club lifting the entire team to better things....and frightening opposition clubs into an underdog mindset when they visit.

Ashley, Kinnear and Pardew have no such vision. They never will. Any talk of incremental improvements is an acceptance and endorsement for treading water. That's fair enough if you fear drowning.

:aye: