On This Day

Ayatollah Hermione

I thought I'd try and update these everyday with information shamelessly stolen from NUFC.com.

24th March

1984 Shrewsbury Town (a)

2-2 (0-0)

Division Two

60pts, 3rd

Keegan, og(Johnson)

Cross 2

The equaliser via Johnson of Shrewsbury.

1990 Blackburn Rovers (a)

0-2 (0-0)

Division Two

57pts, 5th

Moran, Sellars

Most of us turned up for this sunny spring game in short- sleeved shirts. Not such a wise decision as United fans trudged away into a howling gale of hail and snow. Future Mag Scott Sellars scored for Rovers while Billy Askew made his United debut.

1993 Goals from David Roche, Kevin Brock and Alan Thompson helped United to a 3-1 victory in this Northumberland Senior Cup Semi-Final tie staged at Croft Park.

1994 Transfer deadline day, and Darren Peacock joined Newcastle in a £2.7m move, a British record fee for a defender at the time.

1996 Newcastle Striker Les Ferdinand was voted Player of the Year by the Professional Footballers Association.

2009 The Daily Mail reported that a number of unnamed players (via the omnipresent club insider) were demanding that Terry Venables be brought in to spearhead United's attempts to negotiate a path out of the bottom three:

"Newcastle's players want Terry Venables to keep them in the Barclays Premier League.

"Chris Hughton and Colin Calderwood have been in charge of team affairs while Joe Kinnear recovers from heart surgery but the Magpies want an emergency boss - and have placed Venables at the top of their list."

It's unclear what position a certain Mr Shearer was on this list....

I think the entire 2008/09 season might be the most surreal season I've seen in my time. It seemed to go on forever, I remember when Shearer came in, it felt 2 or 3 seasons later since Keegan left but it had only been 6/7 month. The lack of trust in Hughton and Calderwood is funny in retrospect too but how were we to know?

Anyone got any particular memories of these?

I reckon if they'd brought 'El Tel' in when either KK had gone or when Kinnear got ill we'd have stayed up. Not saying I'm a big fan of his or owt but he knows his onions. In fact I heard that they wanted him when Kinnear got the job on a temporary basis (end of September-ish) but he wanted a contract until the end of the season which they weren't prepared to give him.

couldve kept harper company on the sunbeds i guess... team bonding and all that

:jesuswept: Harper has more edge than a broken piss-pot like.

Shrewsbury was a good day out - one of the daft lads who used to go on the train got chinned in a pub much to everyone's amusement "I've been everywhere and stood my ground and get chinned in fucking Shrewsbury".

Shrewsbury was a good day out - one of the daft lads who used to go on the train got chinned in a pub much to everyone's amusement "I've been everywhere and stood my ground and get chinned in fucking Shrewsbury".

Shrewsbury and Newcastle formed an allegiance after the 1982 World Cup in Spain. They still "help out" to this day.

1978 Nottingham Forest (a)

0-2 (0-1)

Division One

Robertson(pen), Anderson

1987 Tottenham Hotspur (h) 1-1 (0-1)

Division One

Goddard

Hoddle

Another goal for Paul Goddard who was to almost single-handedly keep Willie McFaul's side in Division One, scoring in this and the next six matches.

1989 Norwich City (a)

2-0 (1-0)

Division One

Mirandinha, O'Brien

The title-chasing Canaries suffered as Mirandinha found some form at the venue that had hosted his United debut.

2000 Liverpool (a)

1-2 (0-0)

Premiership

Shearer(67)

Camara(51), Redknapp(88)

Guess what? Another last minute defeat at Anfield as Jamie Redknapp returned from injury to fire in the winner.

Titi Camara had put the Reds ahead before a header from Shearer levelled things. Kieron Dyer hit the post before the all-too-familiar Anfield climax.

2004 Real Mallorca (a)

3-0 (0-0)

(7-1 on aggregate)

UEFA Cup 4th Round 2nd Leg

Shearer(46,89), Bellamy(78)

The rain in Spain fell mainly on the Toon, as a travelling army encountered damp and chilly conditions in Palma.

Two goals for Alan Shearer and another for Craig Bellamy (who celebrated in isolation) put us into the Quarter-finals of the UEFA Cup. Sir Bobby's old club, PSV awaited.

With the result and qualification secured, United handed a debut to young defender Steven Taylor as a late substitute.

The UEFA Cup has always been shite, hasn't it?

I've been hungover/busy/lazy so here's today.

30th March

1985 Sheffield Wednesday (a) 2-4 (1-2)

Division One

Beardsley(pen), Waddle

Chapman 2, Marwood, Shelton

Two behind, United drew themselves level before the defence parted again, meaning an unhappy return to Hillsborough for ex-Owls boss Jack Charlton and their former midfielder Pat Heard.

1991 Swindon Town (a)

2-3 (1-1)

Division Two

Peacock, Quinn

Hazard(pen)(26),

Shearer(50), Calderwood(76)

The only game that caretaker manager Bobby Saxton oversaw was an unlucky defeat, when United appeared to be playing the home side and all three officials.

Fraser Digby advanced off his line to block Mick Quinn's 23rd minute penalty but wasn't penalised and then Town were given a spot kick of their own, after the ball was blasted at John Anderson from point blank range.

Mackem Mick Hazard beat John Burridge from the spot but Gavin Peacock's overhead kick sent the teams in level at the interval.

Duncan Shearer then put the home side ahead, before Burridge saved a second spot kick from Hazard and Quinn levelled at 2-2

Future Magpies Coach Colin Calderwood then netted what turned out to be the winner for Ossie Ardiles and Tony Galvin, who within hours had filled the vacancies at SJP.

2008 Tottenham Hotspur (a) 4-1 (1-1)

Premier League

Butt(45), Geremi(52), Owen(65), Martins(83)

Bent(26)

United won away for the first time in 2008 and recorded a second successive victory at White Hart Lane. Nicky Butt netted in both games, while fellow midfielder Geremi scored his first goal since moving from Chelsea.

That Spurs game was absolutely immense, was the sure indication that Keegan was properly back.

1st April

Only one today that really fits the shenanigans of the day.

2009 Most Newcastle fans woke up to what they must have thought was an April fool as Alan Shearer was announced as manager for the rest of the season.

The move came just days after MD Derek Llambias rubbished claims that the club were set to replace Chris Hughton with a short-term appointment - but followed on from comments made by Joe Kinnear that suggested he was unlikely to make an imminent touchline return.

Iain Dowie was tipped to join Shearer as his assistant - the former striker having been a team mate of his back in their Saints days.

The pair had just eight games to save United, starting with the visit of Chelsea to SJP.

That thread on here is such a good read when it turns from disbelief into acceptance into delayed excitement :razz:

• 3 weeks later...

1992 Derby County (a)

1-4 (0-2)

Division Two

Peacock

Williams(pen), Kitson,

Ramage 2

Disaster on Easter Monday as referee Brian Coddington sent off Brock, Scott and O'Brien and banished McDermott from the bench as United were left in a relegation position with only two games left

One of my and many other's proudest ever days as a Newcastle supporter.

• 3 weeks later...

1979 Brighton &

Hove Albion (h)

1-3 (0-3)

Division Two

40pts, 10th

Shoulder

Horton, Ward, Ryan

While the Magpies were just playing out their season, Alan Mullery's Seagulls earned the points that ensured their promotion - although thoughts that they had won the league were later dispelled when Crystal Palace beat Burnley.

Estimates of how many travelling fans made the trip vary, but given that over 18,000 fewer fans had seen our midweek victory over Bristol Rovers, it was a sizeable number.

After a win achieved in weather conditions that varied between sun, rain and hail the victorious Albion side returned to the south coast that night on a specially chartered Brighton Belle Pullman train.

:(

:(

to Mr G Souness.

Transfers IN :

Ronny Johnson

Boumsong

Babayaro

Amdy Faye

Scott Parker

Emre

Krul

Craig Moore

Lee Clark

Luque

Owen

Solano

Transfers OUT:

Bellamy

Bernard

Kluivert

Andy O'Brien

Laurent Robert

Ambrose

Butt - season loan

Viana - season loan

Jenas

Milner - season loan

;)

oh i remember when we got kluivert or klivery how ever you spell it lol that was when we had dalglish or ruud guilt

Edited by DEADMAN

oh i remember when we got kluivert or klivery how ever you spell it lol that was when we had dalglish or ruud guilt

Klivery signed by Guilt. That's it!